Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you buy a ski without testing??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm very close to putting my 1080s and my Fischer Slalom skis onto ebay, and then getting some Scott Missions as a do everything ski.

Trouble is, I ain't tested them, and they appear sold out in the UK, so was considering buying from Europe.

So would you buy without testing?

Currently my only ski trip booked is over Easter with the kids so I'd firmly expect that ski to be sold out by then as Scott apparently have no more to sell!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No I wouldn't. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't. By all accounts the Missions are great skis. I tried them (for 15 minutes) at Xscape and preferred my B2's, but that's hardly an exhaustive test Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, in some situations I would buy without testing (in fact 2 of the last 3 pairs of skis I bought were without testing). My 'feel' for skiing isn't so good that I can distinguish between different skis in the same class. So if I was in the market for a new pair of slalom skis, for example, I'd be happy to buy a bargain off the 'net because I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between a good slalom ski from Rossignol, Atomic, Fischer, etc. But if I was buying a ski in a category that I wasn't familiar with I think I'd want to spend some time testing to see if I liked that kind of ski, not necessarily that specific model.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Here's my strategy....I'll decide what kind of ski I'm after, and then buy the cheapest I can find. I'll stick to the main brands, and try to get something from last year or the year before......The philosophy for this goes like is 'Is xxx yyy worth 200 € more than aaa bbb?' . In almost all cases the answer is 'no'.

The only time this hasn't worked is when I bought some slalom skis (from rob@rar, ) and found out that I was faster on my old ones Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, I've bought a pair of last year's recons without testing. They fit the skiing I want to do, get great reviews and were a good deal (£330 inc the binding), plus I'm replacing a pair of all mountain K2s, which have been great (bought them without testing as well, got them half price). In the unlikely event I hate them, they can always go on ebay.

They're currently sitting in my mate's garage in Geneva, 34 days till I pick them up Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yes - if you have a pretty good idea of what you want and do your research it's fine. and especially if you're buying on ebay, you have a decent chance of getting back most of what you paid if you don't like them and re-sell them on
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done and it has generally worked out fine - Like others say if they are a popular model you'll always be able to sell on ebay if you truly don't get on with them. The ideal of demoing the exact size & model is very difficult in practice for most of us who don't live next to a ski slope.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty of people buy cars without test-driving them; or buy houses without getting a survey done, so why not? It is a risk, but there are bigger disasters in life than getting the wrong skis. If you know what sort of ski you want, and the reviews point to a particular model as being perfect for you, and you don't have the opportunity to test before buying, then take the risk. Worse things happen at sea.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess the bottom line is the same as with any gamble - if you can afford to lose the money, go for it. If you can't, or would need to recover pretty much the full cost if you didn't like them and sold them on, then think twice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski,

Personally, I generally wouldn't but then I'm really picky like that. However, having tried them, I would think they will out perform your 1080's easily Off-piste and you ski them well... I don't think they will outperform a decent SL ski on hardpack but they can cope there well enough. For me tho', for hooning around on hard park I'd want a race ski.
Its one of the quandries, I haven't solved yet...plus the fact that I hate to carry loads of stuff, so I hire.
But if you accept that the Mission's will cover all but the iciest pistes, you'll be ok
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, am I right in thinking that you also liked the Stöckli Snake last year? How do the Snake and the Missions compare (if at all)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
>> for hooning around on hard park I'd want a race ski. Its one of the quandries, I haven't solved yet

I thought I'd cracked it last year, when I took the 1080 and a Fischer slalom ski on a weeks holiday, however, I don't think it works, ie your out on the slalom hooning around, then you spot some cracking spring snow (which the Fischer did ok in, until it got really soft) and vice versa

I ain't one for swopping skis at lunchtime etc, so am aiming for one ski that does most things well.....

Regards,

Greg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
> Would you buy a ski without testing??

yes I would but I would read some reviews and check out what people say on the 'net first... that means I wouldn't buy a new design but tend to buy at the end of the season when people have skied on the tools a bit, that also means they are much cheaper. I don't really feel that skis are a major factor in my skiing ability and pleasure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most people do, personally i wouldn't. I almost insist that our clients test before buying as it achieves lots of positives.

1) Your client activly participates in the selection process and therefore feels; no disappointment and very often doesn't buy the first ski selected.
2) Focuses the client on the differences between skis therefore enabling them to understand what actually has an effect on what.
3) Imparts a feeling of knowlege on to the client thus bringing greater value to the product.
4) Helps build bridges between shop/client/manufacturers. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hate to admit it but I have bought several without testing. Usually based on a lot of research and desired ski-ability. I've only been disappointed twice in all the skis I've purchased.

I have tested skis on several occasions and got myself into trouble because I liked more than one. Me? Go figure! Shocked
snow conditions
Well I certainly wouldn't buy untested at full retail, but when there's a bargain to be had I'm more easily tempted. But only if I've read enough about them to be 90% confident they'll do what I want. I've been hiring for the last few years and I've only once hated a ski so much I felt the need to head straight back to the shop.
snow report
No. Not unless the price was an absolute steal .
snow report
kitenski, I would as long as they weren't legend 8800s. wink

To be honest at your level of skiing (advanced), for the amount that you do, I think that you're going to be able to get along with pretty much any ski that has been given a decent review in a cross the board test. If I saw a ski that I liked, in the correct length, at a good price, then I'd buy em.
snow report
I reckon I have bought about ten pairs of skis over the years and never tested any of them. I think there is plenty of information available if you make the effort to look plus doing a bit of your own research.

Testing skis sounds like a good idea however it may not always be practical to do so. I like to ski off piste as much as possible, although I do believe in having a good all round ski to handle cruddy conditions, nasty trails through the woods etc. plus the times when you are inevitably on piste. The problem I feel with testing is that you may not get the snow conditions you want for your preferred type of skiing.

I wonder if some people simply enjoy the selection process in itself. For me most forms of shopping are a bit of a chore and I would rather get on with it in the most efficient way possible, hoping of course that I don't make any serious mistakes that way.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richjp, Doesn't surprise me that it has given you good results, lets not forget in reality, there are no bad skis to be bought. I refer you to my above points. Little Angel
snow conditions
I bought new skis last year, without testing them, and it was only at the end of the second day's skiing that I decided I really didn't like them. They went off to ebay and the replacements, also bought without testing, have been fine over 2 weeks skiing.

I'm not sure that testing for less than a couple of days would be of any use to me and one unsuitable purchase in 20 years isn't too bad - and not too expensive either thanks to ebay.
snow report
jtr wrote:
II'm not sure that testing for less than a couple of days would be of any use to me

That's my opinion as well. I need a few days and a range of conditions to get a decent feel for the skis.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
jtr wrote:
II'm not sure that testing for less than a couple of days would be of any use to me

That's my opinion as well. I need a few days and a range of conditions to get a decent feel for the skis.

I would also agree with that.
ski holidays
I bought my RX8's without testing, mostly because of all the good reviews. One of the best decisions I made, helped my skiing a hell of a lot. Could probably have done with getting them 5cm longer, but he who dares, wins Wink

Bought a pair of Elan Magfire 08's after testing them at Castleford, they just felt "right" as soon as I put them on. Have kept the RX8's tho, just in case.
snow report
would and did... Very Happy

But I'll test for my next ones
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, You told me you "found" them outside a restaurant in Zermatt last season ! Very Happy
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, I wish, they'd have been a bit cheaper Wink Did yer get them Nordica's you were after?
snow report
Charlatanefc, yep - bought them on Saturday ! (after a ski test) Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Every ski on my quiver was pirchased w/o demoing. Infact I bought my Krypton site unseen and not tried on either.
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, you went to Cas and never told anyone? Shocked Mad
latest report
kitenski, did it once and never again. Very bad mistake indeed. Good price, good ski, totally unsuited to me. Sad
snow conditions
A long time ago I bought some Rossi 7SVs. I didn't test them first, but then they spent several months leaning against the wall in my flat. They looked horrible, and I took against them on that basis alone. Shocked
snow conditions
Why bother testing loads of skis - you'll just get confused. If you like the look of them, can find the right length and they are designed to do what you are going to do on them then play on! I bought my DP Pros without even knowing what they looked like because I was told they were a suitable replacement for some dead Volkl G4s. I am now on my 3rd pair - one smashed in a mishap and I have now bought a pair in 201 and 193... I also bought my Nordica Speed Machines on the internet because I got a good deal and knew my boot size.

Do what you think is right!!

wink
snow conditions
kitenski, For what its worth my criteria are just the same as yours with regard the 'holy grail 'one quiver ski,I tested some missions whilst taking part in a couple of warren smith courses at CAS last month.During around 8 hrs of skiing I also tested volkl AC3,Nordica hot rod nitrous,and salomonSX10's(?).the bumps were conveniently out so most of the courses involved specific bumps exercises and general on piste short and long radius turns along with lots of drills/exercises to practice new techniques.
I got on fine with all skis tested but the missions just didnt have that on piste hold/snap in all types of turn radius and were definitely rather unwieldy in the bumps ,when compared directly with the AC3 / NITROUS .The salamons were incredibly turney and great in the bumps great fun but cant be considered an one quiver ski so I've discounted themThe Volkl/Nitrous were very similar almost impossible to separate i loved them both given the conditions on offer but would lean slightlty more towards the AC3 as I thought them a little more demanding and stiff incredibly well put together especially when compared to the overall build quality/torsional stiffness of the missions.
I am more and more convinced it is impossible please all of us with one ski ,in all conditions ,there is always a degree of compromise in choosing a one quiver ski IMHO?
As soon as you go above 85mm waist and lose a degree or two of sidecut it seems to me that the general allround on piste/bumps performance is just not quite the same?ObvioUsly the same could be said in reverse about a true freeride/big mountain ski.
I think plenty of peeps are just deluding themselves (myself included) that one ski can be as good as another the conditions that the ski was truly designed for?
Having said all that based on the performance of the volkl AC3 I reckon if the AC4 performs as well on piste/bumps as its smaller sibling with a waist of around 83mm? and that rigidity and nice degree of sidecut it could be THE ONE FOR ME ?

If we didnt have these debates and didnt want to change our skis every two minutes life would be so much less interesting ,I wonder if our european partners obsess so much about skis and equipment ? I guess not ?Is it purely a UK thing driven by our snow obsessions bearing in mind we dont get enough of it over here!!!
Hey HO off to test the AC4 will let you know if it fits the bill?
latest report
Hello Powderhound Very Happy
snow conditions
cheers Hedley,

Given that the Volk has a underboot width of 76mm, and the Nordia Hot Rod has 78mm, I would expect them both to be much better at CAS, but would also reckon on less float in powder, crud and spring slush!

I think I agree that one ski cannot be fantastic at everything, if I can find one that does off piste fantastically, and the rest ok, I'll be happy!

I think the Mission is that ski, if I get it, I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
kitenski,

I know what you mean.... I like to keep the one ski as well.... so I'd go with the fattie and accept the minor shortcomings on the ice...and we tested the Mission on a very very glassy surface at the bottom of the lifts at the PSB and the Mission wasn't bad there... I think most peeps who tried them there would say the same...
And as I posted, the Fatboys weren't that shabby compared to the race skis..so the gap is getting closer all the time.
snow conditions
eng_ch,

I did try the Snake...not the BC..and it was a very turney number but it was a 180 twin tip which skied very short for me....hence the turneyness...!!! I would call it a dainty little ski..... so worth a blast....

Difficult to compare the Snake and Mission.... I don't think they are the same type of ski.... The Snake will float ok...and turn ok..well, more than ok... but I wouldn't call them like for like....

P.S...I wouldn't use the Snake again.... I rather an XL or a Snake BC.... The Snake was just too short for me....
latest report
I like the AC3's coz they look well 'ard.
snow report
cheers JT, close to pressing the confirm order button............
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy