Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tighter airport security at Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
We went through Geneva bright and early this morning and found that they've upgraded their security arrangements to be more similar to the UK arrangements - i.e. laptops out of bags; up to 100ml of liquids in a clear plastic; X-raying shoes; etc.

As for the new UK arrangements, duty free is sold in a sealed clear plastic bag that must not be touched before boarding.

In some ways they are even stricker than the UK - all electronic items except phones must be taken out of bags and you can't now buy bottles of water, etc airside to take on the plane.

Judging from the queues this morning it seems the arrangements are fairly new - they certainly weren't like this two weeks ago - and are added 15-20 minutes to the time needed to get through security. And this was at 7:00 am when everyone knew what they were doing.

I'd suggest anyone travelling through Geneva in the next few weeks gets to the airport a little earlier to allow for queuing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Phillip, there's a summary here:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20063
and here:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19983

Came into effect on 6th November (as mentioned here):
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=448480
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton, they weren't like this last Sunday night, although my son had to take his laptop out of the bag. I did receive an email from Easyjet telling me that things were changing Europe-wide from 6th November.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The daft security measures, similar to what the UK has had since the summer, were brought in throughout Europe at the beginning of November and the airport staff are still getting used to it all. I found huge queues going through Dublin on Saturday morning because of it, although I think that the people manning the scanners were not paying a whole lot of attention still.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Wear The Fox Hat - I'd seen those threads, but hadn't realised it was EU wide - or that the Swiss had "joined" the EU.

Spideog - there was a whole lot of attention being paid to everything this morning. Anyone who has had a run-in with Swiss customs at the border will know what to expect - completely ruthless professionalism with absolutely no sign of humanity... Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton wrote:
Spideog - there was a whole lot of attention being paid to everything this morning. Anyone who has had a run-in with Swiss customs at the border will know what to expect - completely ruthless professionalism with absolutely no sign of humanity... Shocked

Bristol were being slightly more efficient this morning as my deodorant spray was 50ml too large. Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, thank you for that. Since we'll be travelling back on 25th November from Geneva, it is useful to know, as I can pack my nebuliser in my checked baggage (I have a spare at home, so it doesn't matter if it gets lost). Going out, I'll still have to show them it works at the airport, but that isn't a big deal.

Medication is more of a worry, but if they confiscate it, at least I have spare at home - on the way out it is always nerve-wracking because I have to carry so much! I have all kinds of letters from the hospital, prescription documentation and so on, but you never know how they are going to react. Virtually none of it can be replaced easily in a ski resort and I can't do without most of it for even one day, so it has to come with me in hand baggage. Some of it is liquid in separate 2.5ml vials, but I can't open and taste all of them, because they are separate steril doses and have to be discarded or used immediately. For one drug (Pulmozyme) it costs £125 PER VIAL and I am taking 7 with me. That would be a big hit to replace. It comes to 75ml in total. I hope they will be reasonable.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep the regulation came into force Europe wide last week. Friday night in Zurich & Last night in Schiphol they were very strict on the rules.

Warning. Be early for checkin as security DOES take longer
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slightly off topic (sorry) but does anyone have the definitive rules from Easyjet on how many hold bags you are allowed if you HAVE paid for skis? It used to be 3 (suitcase, skis, bootbag) but I belive they announced a few weeeks back that it was going down to 2 (suitcase & skibag). I'm flying with them on Friday 24th and although I've emailed their helpdesk twice they don't seem to be responding Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The most cunning security measure at Geneva is the way that they've cunningly placed the bollards outside the entrance to the charter terminal so that a trolley either heavily laden with explosives, or with suitcases, cannot fit through. A bit like a security check point, only to stop suicide trolleys rather than cars. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, it's so annoying, thank goodness we don't use the charter terminal anymore.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where's the charter terminal at Geneva?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, good question - but with the roadworks, it's difficult enough to get to the French terminal. (or was it just me having problems yesterday)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer - I like the way they've hidden gates A6 and A7 between gates A4 and A5 and signposted it with a tiny wee sign...

This morning I must have watched a dozen people come walking down, spot gates A4 and A5 (which have huge signs) and turn around because they didn't see the small sign for A6 and A7.

BTW - British Airways users will be interested in knowing that the on / off separate security arrangements for gates A1 - A7 are most definitely on at the moment. For those of you not versed in the more obscure aspects of Geneva airport thats:

- turn left in front of A terminal security
- down past the shops to the snack bar area
- head for the right hand corner
- the door with no signage will (yes, it will) open when you're about 3 inches from it...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid,

make sure it is labelled preferably on each bottle/vial.... (I have produced multiple label copies for diabetic patients before just to be sure)
and I suggest to pack some in every bag.... so if they lose one or make a fuss there is spare elsewhere
latest report
rob@rar, it's a shed to the right of the main terminal.
ski holidays
rob@rar, although I've been there about 4 times, I couldn't tell you, as we got there by transfer coach.
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
rob@rar, it's a shed to the right of the main terminal.

Sort of above the train station?
snow report
PhillipStanton, I'd never noticed that.

rob@rar, the other right I think.
snow report
AxsMan, From Times Online:

"From September 1, consumers making easyJet bookings have been charged £5 to check in more than one piece of luggage to the hold, or £10 if paid in the airport at the time of departure, although the weight limit for checked-in baggage remains at 20kg."[/url]

So, it looks like one ski bag and one suitcase, unless you want to pay more.

snowHead
snow report
Update:

Since I'd had no reply from Easyjet I decided not to chance it and bought two rollerbags with room for boots as well as clothes. So have just checked in at EMA (about 2 hours ago, and made a point of asking if Boot bags would be OK and count as 1 item (with skis). Was told definitively YES rolling eyes So I could have checked in 1 case, 1 ski tube and 1 boot bag just as before. Not too upset as I like the rollerbags and it's easier to move around with two bags than three anyway. But there you go. As long as you have paid for skis Boot bags are still included in your allowance. Overall weight limit is 32kgs (20 normally).
snow conditions
AxsMan, Thanks

This is really useful to know for our upcoming family trip EZY Luton to GVA. I will post if therer are any problems
snow report
AxsMan,

THis was posted a few weeks ago

snowHead Airline baggage Summary

RYANAIR
Checking bags cost £7 return for each bag if done on line
Double this if done at gate and not on line
Checked bag allowed weight reduced from 20kg to 15KG
Carry on allowance is 10Kg
Excess Baggage Charged at £5.50 per kilo each way
£31 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 15kg

EASYJET
One hold bag per person, free of charge.
Additional bags £10 return for each additional bag , when pre-paid online
Double this if done at gate and not on line
Checked bag allowance 20kg, are subject to excess baggage charges
£30 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 20kg

SWISS economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 20kg checked allowance
20kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

BA economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 23kg checked allowance
23kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

Eurostar - No weight limits

Tips
You can try it on and put two pairs of skis in one bag
On Ryanair take boots as carry on if they fit the size restriction 55 x 40 x 20cm
Make sure no one bag exceeds checked bag limits of 15 or 20kg

EASYJET & RYANAIR You cannot pool weight if you are traveling as a group.
Don’t share one big case, you will get done for overweight luggage!
snow conditions
scottp, Just a slight amendment to your list - current hand baggage size can be up to 56 x 45 x 25cm.

Liquids (100ml max per container) to be in a clear bag max 20 x 20 cm.

Info from BAA.

snowHead
ski holidays
Sage wrote:
scottp, Just a slight amendment to your list - current hand baggage size can be up to 56 x 45 x 25cm.

...not with Ryanair or Easyjet - they have smaller bags, I believe.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, This is the agreed size with the government and EU for bags to go through security.

It's a bit strange that Ryanair haven't upped the bag size on their website considering the amount of complaining O'Leary was doing during the security scare - the reduction in carry on bag size was one of his main complaints. Maybe they just haven't got round to updating their websites.

snowHead
ski holidays
scottp, we flew BA to Geneva last week and returned yesterday. Boots are included in the 23kg allowance. On the way out we were told skis were as well, and we were 9kg over between us, but they didn't charge as there were only about 10 people on the plane so it was hardly overweight. On the way back we were told skis were NOT included in the 23kg allowance, but boots were definiely included.
snow report
docsquid, That IS wrong - the following is quoted directly from BA's website -

Snow ski equipment

Defined as
One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings.

Weight allowance & Piece allowance
Snow Ski Equipment that falls within this definition is carried free in addition to your normal baggage allowance, until 30th April 2007. A maximum weight of 23kg (51lbs) applies to each bag.

Obviously the staff are not aware of their own companies baggage policy - very poor Sad

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anybody know if Easyjet consider their charges to be for a ski bag or the skis themselves? To clarify I have a large ski bag which will take 3 sets of skis (four at a push) and was hoping to take it full. I've prepaid for it to go on, and am aware that it needs to be below 32kg for H&S reasons but don't want to pay per set of skis. In the past it's never been a problem taking two sets but I wonder where they would draw the line?
snow report
Hmm. I know 2 pairs of skis in a bag are officially OK because I asked, but 3 or 4...?
snow report
BGA, you're screwed I'm afraid as Easyjet now have a 12kg weight limit for a ski/board bag which was introduced in Sept 06 I think. I like you was planning to load up my Head Monster bag for a trip in January but now I'm scuppered too.
ski holidays
snowball, you won't get 2 pairs & a bag under 12kg.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I can't find any mention of the 12Kg mentioned on Easyjets website, after payment of fee they state:

Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kilos.

snowHead
latest report
Sage, that's all I can see on their website as well. What isn't clear to me is whether there is a 20kg limit for all hold baggage or if you have paid the extra for the ski carriage you get an enhanced weight limit. Guess I'll have to fall back on my winning smile and charm at the check in desk as usual
ski holidays
I think the 32kg may now be 20kg plus the 12kg. You may get away with a 17kg ski bag and 15kg of skis
snow conditions
I just looked and the maximum for a sports item is, they say 32kg. However total baggage maximum is 50kg. If you have a 20kg bag and your hand luggage is (say) 5kg, (boots?) then your skibag must have a max weight of 25kg. Where did you get this 12kg figure from, spyderjon?
latest report
Does anyone have recent experience of how much easyJet charge for excess baggage. We had to take a very heavy (and long) item to Nice, some years ago, and their rates were extremely reasonable; far less than BA at the time. I think it was £1 per kilo. But they have probably gone up. It would be so much fairer if they just charged the basic fare for up to X kilos of person and luggage combined and £Y for every kilo overweight, whether the weight was person or luggage. Then families could give the 4 year olds the big fat bags....
latest report
snowball, From the conditions, quite well down Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, spot on mate. It was Maggi who first altered this to me & I've checked it out with Easyjet on two seperate occasions.

Here's an extract from their website:

Each passenger is usually permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and a free allowance of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 20kgs.

A fee per kilo for excess weight over these allowances is charged prior to departure.

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kilos. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

In addition, passengers may carry on board a handbag, clutchbag, coat, umbrella, duty-free goods (small items), a laptop computer, car seats for infant passengers and small items of photographic or scientific equipment. These will not form part of the above allowances.

Infants who share your seat do not have a baggage allowance.

Special Items and Baggage Charges

Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kilos. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)

An additional fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in the table below.

Currency Per flight
GBP 15.00
Euro 22.50

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out below shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Currency Excess Baggage
Per kg
GBP 5.00
Euro 7.50

snowball, Although it says that the maximim luggage is 50kg's what they mean is that's the max you can take when paying the excess luggage charges. Also note that a boot bag needs to be included in your 20kg hold allowance but you will be charged an extra £5 for the boot bag (if booked in advance, or £10 at the airport). S&R's large wheelie holdall with boot compartments at each end is the way to go.
snow conditions
For our family trip on Easyjet in Feb I have packed 2 sets of skis in a bag with some clothes and the bag weighs 15kg. I will have a small case at about 17kg and for the first time the kids will also have cases. 2 sets of boots will go into the cases and for the first time we shall be using our full allowance.

A pair of skiers with boots and skis will IMHO struggle to avoid extra charges.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy