Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance

Poster: A snowHead
backtomasters, welcome to snowHeads, hope you can spare the time to post here as well. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, Well - you stay in Whistler far too long! NehNeh backtomasters, Sorry, forgot to say WELCOME Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
I can see we're going to have lots of very interesting (hopefully on snow) discussions at the EoSB!

Shocked I thought it was just drinkin' and stuff. You ski and discuss things there too???
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, Lots of skiing - only a few reprobates!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Rotation of the pelvis during a carved racing turn is used to avoid transmitting any extra rotational forces down to the skis. I have seen French trainers using the same drills to encourage this as UK/Canadian and US coaches, so I don't think this is a national thing.

I think the waiststeering idea is a really nice mental model to use to work out how much rotation is needed throughout the turn. This is why I suggested to marc gledhill that he try it as well as think about it between training sessions. It also allows you to fine tune edge angles without needing to change angulation which is great in closed gate combinations.

I don't do it on a flat ski though, I will have another look at the MSR website when I have a faster internet connection to see the dry land exercise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, Location: Tignes! Mr. Green
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, It may be that the article I got varies slightly from the website, (I mnust read the website page and compare) but it definitely appeared to result in a flat ski (foot)and a fair bit of hip rotation. Of course the problem always exists that something that is written/done for racers and perfectly OK at that level, would be a bit unfortunate when practised by a moderate intermediate skier with rotation issues to start with. The dry land exercise was printed off Epic for a particular lady (the first time I'd come across this idea/phrase).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I followed the instructions and found that all the movements happened exactly as described. However it does allow/promote a hip rotation, which I don't agree with in any normal circumstances.

Most folk hear "rotary movement or rotary forces" and immediately visualize the skier twisting about their vertical axis, getting inside ski dominant and breaking their tails loose in uncontrolled pivots. Unfortunately for a concept that is so central in how we bipeds move naturally [rotary movement] the term "rotation" became the single word description of that common error of twisting the upper torso to affect the lower kinetic chain while skiing.

Quote:

If we rotate, the turning ski is flat.

I like this phrase and it is true. If WE, our entire body rotates around its vertical axis, yes indeed, our skis will flatten and the other things I mentioned above will happen. But if we use our core to provide quick rotary forces to our feet the opposite happens, our skis will naturally tip up on edge - easily.

When we walk each step is preceded by a quick but subtle rotary movement of the core muscle units. But when we walk the shoulders rarely get in the act, they stay level, straight and relaxed. Another thing goes on as we walk and that is our hips do not rotate but move along the Sagittal plane. Yet there still are rotary forces being generated by the core to enable us to move forward (or back) and remain in balance as we step from foot to foot.

In WS the "waist" (4 main core muscles units of the "core") create a rotary force that can be transmitted down the kinetic chain to our feet/skis. This allows us to tip our skis on very early edge and obtain a very balanced and stacked posture while promoting very relaxed but dynamic movements while sliding.

My point is that there is a big difference between rotation (as an already existing description of a "bad habit") and rotary movements and rotary forces, especially when used in conjunction with "turning the waist" or in other words, using the core to transmit rotary forces to skis and especially tipped or edged skis. In the later the shoulders, when properly executed, DO NOT rotate and the "outside hip" only "follows" to a minimal degree. A picture is worth a thousand words (sometimes). I'll use ones of me as this won't break any copyright laws. You can find photo examples of this principal at work at the WC level at www.nastar.com/forums and Epic.

Stacked skeletally, long outside half of the body, skis on edge and carving (utilizing one's equipment). Not "Rotated".

My only purpose was to set apart a difference between "being rotated", however one gets there, from utilizing rotary movements, especially from the core. Can this tool be put in the box of a lower level skier? You bet!

Here's a link to a simple progression that might help you folks play with the concept and find the desired results

http://www.modernskiracing.com/MSRPLevel1Handout.pdf

Lastly I know Rick is working on a new piece on WS and all its implications (as "just" another tool in the tool box). That should be up at MSR.com in the coming weeks.

Hope this helps with the discussion and please excuse the intrusion and as I always say - just grist for the mill snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whoops - again, thanks for the warm welcomes! I'm not used to that Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-11-06 17:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
backtomasters wrote:
My only purpose was to set apart a difference between "being rotated", however one gets there, from utilizing rotary movements, especially from the core. Can this tool be put in the box of a lower level skier? You bet!
Amen, Gary! This is one of those areas of confusion, and the mixed and overloaded use of the terminology definitely doesn't help this. Thanks for the contribution (I edited your post so that the images are in-line) and the links. I agree that virtually any skier can benefit from understanding these ideas at some level...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backtomasters, this is very interesting, so I've printed out the stuff from the website and will compare. I think that what I read before is really quite different from what you're describing here, so lots of food for thought. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backtomasters, not a lot of counter there. Is that part of the deal?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssh wrote:
backtomasters, not a lot of counter there. Is that part of the deal?
Counter is another tool, it can be used or blended with WS to any degree. And, YES, counter has been de-emphasized a bit with the advent of WS. But to see both used within the context of the same turn check out this thread at Epic, its not an either/or its more a predilection, skier type/build, quickness versus power, on how each is utilized at the highest levels.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=44677

Specifically the links in this post

http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.php?p=581537&postcount=46

Here I'm musing about why one is square and the other is using power counter

http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.php?p=582281&postcount=58

The whole thread is interesting.

EDIT; One of the interesting earmarks of advanced WS is moving (advancing) the outside ski through its arc while carving (increases load, tightens radius). This can't be executed from a "Power Hip-Countered" position. Rick will detail this and much more in his upcoming article. Gotta run, wife's getting mad!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 10-11-06 23:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I'm still working on standing on one leg and bobbing on a balance cushion in front of the telly hehehe. Seriously tho... I will be attempting a practice session each morning during my jan trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, Keep it up & well done. Very Happy
snow report
What do you mean 'Well done?'... I keep falling over. Oh... you mean try it without the wine Embarassed
ski holidays
I've been standing on mine in the kitchen while cooking the dinner. rolling eyes , useful for reaching the sink, as I just lean back a bit. Not good with a hot pan in your hands though.
snow report
Hello Again! Speaking of balance I just realized the Rick's companion article to his Balance, the Keystone of Skiing was not posted up here. You all might find this a great way to get your season started. My wife and I just skied with Rick in Summit County and went through this progression - its killer and really jump started our season wink

Check out The Season Jump Start Progression at http://www.modernskiracing.com/technique_links.php

Here's a related thread at Epic with some Pics of the Summit County (Breckenridge) session

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=46759
ski holidays
backtomasters, yeah, yeah, yeah. Learn to ski, will ya?!?! NehNeh NehNeh

...sorry we missed each other, Gary. Next time?

Rick's a darn good coach, isn't he? Cool snowHead
snow report
ssh, Yeah, if I can just narrow up my stance and steer instead of those dang carve turns Toofy Grin About Rick, ah yeah, in my opinion the best out there (and I work with some pretty good coaches wink I'm thinkin' I've got an unfair advantage Very Happy We'll be back up on Dec. 5th for the NASTAR Pacesetter Trials (Keystone) then staying for the RMM Slaloms at Copper (9th and 10th). Maybe see ya then?
snow report
So, interestingly (I had already read the thread) all these exercises in Rick's article are almost the exact same exercises I've been making my peeps do for the last couple of years! So many of you will have a sense of "deja-vu". Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
easiski; Brillant Minds wink
snow report
backtomasters, let's not complete the expression though! rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, For the last several weeks I've been doing some exercising. I was spurred on by Stocky's fitness regime. I've found that my balance has improved. I noticed this when I happened to go to yoga and found that I could now do the tree pose. The basic exercises I that I think have helped are - the lunges, abs exercises, general cardio - just generally being fitter.
snow conditions
easiski,

i am assured waist steering is on the way.... should not be long.... so you will be able to read the "new and revised edition" very soon i think....
snow conditions
backtomasters wrote:
ssh, Yeah, if I can just narrow up my stance and steer instead of those dang carve turns Toofy Grin About Rick, ah yeah, in my opinion the best out there (and I work with some pretty good coaches wink I'm thinkin' I've got an unfair advantage Very Happy We'll be back up on Dec. 5th for the NASTAR Pacesetter Trials (Keystone) then staying for the RMM Slaloms at Copper (9th and 10th). Maybe see ya then?
Could work as long as I'm not visiting a client... Let's stay in touch. I'd definitely like to meet up with you this season!

I thought about a few barbs to throw your way about lifting and lightening, but then thought better of it. Wink NehNeh
ski holidays
little tiger, Link has arrived, but not yet read - really MUST do loads of other things today ...

erica2004, I should think almost any yoga stuff would be helpful, but of course that would largely be static balance wouldn't it? Can't hurt though. the physio is making me stand on a sdquishy on my hurt ankle to strengthen it - amazing how difficult something can be when you have a weakness compared to normal strength. eyes closed is - well - shocking actually. In any case, strong core muscles are vital to good balance (IMO - I'm not a n expert). It's what seems to be missing in many english teenagers - too much time in front of the PC/TV and not enough time climbing trees!
snow report
easiski,

yeah me too.... arrived just when i had not the time to read for a couple of days..... soon....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, I do have the time - if I use it as another excuse NOT to do my accounts and file my tax return for last year - the temptation is great, but I WILL BE GOOD! Sad
ski holidays
ah you need my mother - she did my australian tax return Smile and signed it and banked the cheque into my account.... (ex book keeper cannot help herself and i did give her power of attorney before leaving....)
latest report
little tiger, I definitely need a mother when it comes to accounts and tax returns! Shocked
snow report
yeah ... mine keeps saying she cannot understand how her daughter is so averse to doing tax returns.... my father smiles....and walks away - because mum does most of his...

she is currently in charge of shares etc and property as well (with the power of attorney) ....if I stay away a little longer it may all be nicely organised for me Wink i keep offering to pay her to do this full time on my return...would make life much easier..

I HATE paper work of the financial kind... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Here's the link to the Waist Steering Article now up at ModernSkiRacing.com for those interested/curious.

Modern Ski Racing Technical Articles

Title is "The History & Principles of Waist Steering" by Rick Schnellmann

There is a discussion about Rick's article over at EpicSki

As we contend the "Waist" and its utilization is critical for dynamic balance I thought I'd just post this here instead of starting a new thread (hope that's alright). Feel free to put questions to us here, we will check in from time to time and be glad to participate in any discussion if one develops or jump in at EpicSki.

Regards to all,

The MSR Team
ski holidays
ah don't need the glasses this time - thanks Gary Wink
ski holidays
backtomasters, Got the article, but haven't had time to study it yet - it's on my bed waiting! Very Happy
ski holidays
little tiger, Disski????
snow report
easiski, looking forward to your thoughts and comments! Thanks for inviting us up snowHead
ski holidays
backtomasters wrote:
little tiger, Disski????

Good guess.
latest report
backtomasters wrote:
little tiger, Disski????

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Check it out, try it, ask any questions here. But first, if you haven't already read Rick's WS Principles, suggested reading wink

Waist Steering, History and Principles by Rick Schnellmann

Master Fu's Video

Master Fu Waist Skill Demonstration

Master Fu Photo (Play through quickly)

Master Fu Waist Skill Slide Show

Master Fu demonstrates tremendous body control, balance and total body awareness (TBA).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy