Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance

Poster: A snowHead
I've been banging on about balance for a good while now, and making various snowheads do lots of very strange exercises on both or one leg involving hopping and generally looking fairly foolish. to nsay nothing of trying to persuade my students to do these exercises regularly.

Here's a US site which is well worth a read for anyone serious about their skiing, and (surprise, surprise) almost all my exercises are mentioned on the page for getting back into it at the start of the season! thanks to an unnamed Snowhead for putting me onto this site. However the link is to the page where one of the trainers goes on about ..... BALANCE ......

http://www.modernskiracing.com/balance.php Very Happy

BTW, I'm not convinced at all by the waist steering stuff - it certainly wouldn't work on the snow we had last week! Shocked Probably does on the easy, fluffy stuff they get in the rockies though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, just a thought and you're probably going to hate me for asking this !

Have you ever thought about putting together a crib sheet for people who have had lessons with you ?

Basically just outlining the different exercises you get people to do and how it will help.

I only ask as I've forgotton most of what we did in August.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes - my ski helper strikes again Smile

he does write this stuff quite well yes?

I'm not sure re the waist steering either - but I know he went and played with it before going along with it.... it may be one of those "how you say is just a way to get you to do" things .... or whatever - I think I'll wait and see when I go visit...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bladeskier, I have thought about it, on several occasions, but struggle to get the energy together. I can't remember what I did with you either. The thing is I don't do the same thing with everyone - depends on their faults (although many have serious balance probs). therefore, I'd have to do it for each person individually .... I kinda thought that they could do their own .... does that sound mean? Hope not. However a lot of what I do ends up on this forum in one way, shape or another ...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was a page in the In-Gear supplement to last Sundays Times which outlined some exercises for ski prep. One of which appears to be a balance exercise - stand on one leg, rock gently back and forth etc.. repeat on other leg. can't remember all of the details but I've kept the page and will look at every day between now and January Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
BTW, I'm not convinced at all by the waist steering stuff - it certainly wouldn't work on the snow we had last week! Shocked Probably does on the easy, fluffy stuff they get in the rockies though.

Why is that? It seems to work on the indoor snow OK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, try doing that with your eyes closed, unless it makes looking at the page difficult wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda wrote:
halfhand, try doing that with your eyes closed, unless it makes looking at the page difficult wink

I'll skip that part thanks Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

stand on one leg, rock gently back and forth etc.. repeat on other leg.

yep, we should all be doing this, with the eyes closed once it gets easy. A Pilates teacher told me it takes 6 weeks, doing this just for a coupla minutes each day, for the brain to train itself to cope. Little and often is the answer. I used to do it on Havant station waiting for the 0637 to Waterloo (didn't fall over that often...) But now I am retired, with far more time, I often plain forget. Must try harder; just time to get the brain in training before the season begins. Thanks for the link, easiski, will definitely take a look at that. After our session I did a lot on one leg and got quite good on my right leg, even able to do some gentle turns on the outside edge, down tracks rather than anything steeper. Wobblier on the left, but will continue to practice; it's a really good way of making use of otherwise rather boring tracks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Rick is a tremendous coach and skier, and focuses on filling the toolbox with all kinds of things... including what Tommy has dubbed waiststeering. He'll be the first to tell you that it's not "the way to ski" but for some folks on some terrain and conditions it will make them faster (which it Tommy's focus).

His early-season warm-up is quite good, isn't it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

His early season warm up will take me all this season and half of next....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

His early season warm up will take me all this season and half of next....

that is Rick for you.... ask easiski about the FIRST few pages of exercises he wrote for me.... and the second stayed at home after the first day.... and I haven't even asked about getting the next lot yet....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great article.

But he used that phrase, unfortunately, Centrifugal Force......... Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK all the instructing pros out there - why has no-one ever produced the alpine equivalent of the excellent Allen & Mike's really Cool Telemark tips, 100+ handy tips in cartoon illustrated form? Its humourous, technically pretty good, has memorable drills and is small enough to take out on the slopes.

I think the alpine equivalent could clean up and though it may not appeal to the more po-faced technical schools of thought, the cartoon format may enable more than one school to be illustrated.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
s**t no-one told me you had to do it with your eyes closed!! Shocked
snow report
Because one only uses drills in response to specific individual needs.

Person A may require drill P to help develop/cure X

Person B may require drill Q to help develop/cure Y

Having a list of drills and exercises in front of you is of limited use if you don't know what that drill/exercise is supposed to help develop.

PLUS

The number of times I've seen people practice a drill - or try a drill a friend has given them, only to see them get the emphasis completely wrong.

There is no shortcut. You need a pro to help develop your skiing! Very Happy
snow report
veeeight, I agree and tried to resist the urge to comment on CF but couldn't help thinking thrust, drag, lift and g ! Oh and the odd equilibrium. I suppose it means we were listening Toofy Grin
snow conditions
veeeight, there are, of course, those who publish such things because people buy them. My favorite result is people slip-sliding down the slope swishing their tails from side to side, then talking in the lift line about how great their skis carve! Shocked rolling eyes

The biggest advantage of having a pro with modern skills (and, unfortunately, not all do!) is that they can observe what you're doing and develop a prescription for addressing changes that will take you to a higher skill level. The best do it without you even knowing what they're doing until you've "discovered" it for yourself.
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:

Not arguing with you but their are plenty of instruction books and DVDs out there which address common problem areas and how to tackle them. I can accept that these for some people can cause more harm than good but for others they must be a valid source of info?
snow report
fatbob,

Quote:

OK all the instructing pros out there - why has no-one ever produced the alpine equivalent of the excellent Allen & Mike's really Cool Telemark tips, 100+ handy tips in cartoon illustrated form? Its humourous, technically pretty good, has memorable drills and is small enough to take out on the slopes.

You can use a fair few of the tips in there for Alpine skiing anyway wink
latest report
fatbob wrote:
veeeight wrote:

Not arguing with you but their are plenty of instruction books and DVDs out there which address common problem areas and how to tackle them. I can accept that these for some people can cause more harm than good but for others they must be a valid source of info?
I will suggest that they always provide a valid source of info, but the tendency of many people to want to find "the secret" instead of simply filling their toolbox with more tools and options will tend to overemphasize various movements and drills to the detriment of the skier's overall skillset.

Frankly, I think the best possible videos are those like the old Cybervision skiing videos that simply follow a superb skier down the slopes to help ingrain the visual-based sensations of excellent skiing. I haven't seen any for modern technique/equipment, however.
ski holidays
ssh, I do agree "tools r it". Actually I've been talking about toolboxes since - can't remember when, a very long time ago - how come it's now become such a popular phrase? My sphere of influence isn't that great. Shocked Shocked

marc gledhill, I don't like waist steering (I did try it in my flat BTW) because it appears to use steering without pressure. It also appear to advocate/encourage hip rotation which I find worse than vampires. I do 100% believe that the ski should do the work, now we finally have these wonderful modern skis. They don't like to be pushed around, and although certain foot rotation movements are very necessary in certain terrain, on the whole I prefer not to teach them until the student is pretty advanced. Mind you, this is a racing website, so it would be OK if peeps were at that level, however recent PSBers will attest to the astonishing level being achieved by quite small children these days if they want to be world champions! (And no doubt some of them will). Cool
snow report
easiski wrote:
marc gledhill, I don't like waist steering (I did try it in my flat BTW) because it appears to use steering without pressure.

As I understand it (i.e. it's probably wrong) waist steering does use a lot of pressure at initiation, but then lets directional change/gravity take over more of the business of bending the ski during the later stages of the turn.

How did you do it in your flat?
snow conditions
easiski, waiststeering (IIUC) is really more driving the pelvis around the turn similarly to how we sometimes teach skiers to drive their outside hand through the turn. It keeps the body parts from doing a lot of rotation/counter-rotation, and is intended more to block poor movements than to introduce a new movement. The pressure builds just like with any other turn technique, but the real focus is on a disciplined midbody.
ski holidays
Is this a good point to mention tai-chi?
latest report
veeeight, 2 sugars please
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Yes, it is a valid source of info. A scattergun is a valid technique Laughing

Let me give you an example. You watch a Warren Smith video. He explains how to edge the ski, to "carve".

You go onto the slope, you get on your edges, and "carve". But how do you know you are replicating that 100%?
How is your fore-aft balance? Are you inclinating or angulating? Which ski is hooking up more?

OR

You follow an exercise that is set out on the video...... how do you know you're getting it right? What's the feedback mechanism?

From looking at skiers doing exercises on the mountain when I'm on the chair - I can safely say that the vast majority of them are getting the intended exercise wrong, but blissfully unaware of it.
ski holidays
I've finally found time to look at the web site, and found a lot of it very interesting. I wouldn't actually want to try any of the new exercises without instruction, as I'd probably get them wrong, just as has been said. However I did find it instructional to look at the pictures of racers and see how technique differs. If nothing else, it give me, as a relative beginner, a good view of the range of variation, both historical and current. I'm one of those people who like to understand the physics of why my skis turn and why certain things work - just telling me to do something is OK, and I'll try it, but I also want to know why. This is interesting to me, and actually explained some of the things I was being taught last year quite well.

The pre-season exercises were similar to those Brian gave us at the Snowdome recently, and we've been practising these in our sessions there. Brian occasionally sees us and gives us a thumbs-up! However, I would only want to try something radically new with somebody watching who can say if I'm doing it right or not - otherwise I'd just get bad technique hard-wired! A variation on an existing exercise might be OK to try.

So I think these web sites and so on are quite helpful to consolidate things you have already learned, and perhaps offer a scientific explanation to sad geeks like me who want them. Likewise, I think Phil Smith's DVD's will be of more use to me after I've been on his course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight,

I tend to agree with you -was really playing a bit of devil's advocate about why there's a whole industry of tuition DVDs etc. However, I picked up the Warren Smith "chicken wings" tip for the bumps from one of his DVDs and found it worked better for me than most things I'd ever been taught.
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
Is this a good point to mention tai-chi?
Depends on which version we're discussing! NehNeh snowHead
snow report
Dang Steve, you sure do get around Shocked I'm just lurking but glad to see MSR.com being discussed and very happy to see folks finding some of our stuff of value. I'm betting, btw, that Rick may be working on some more of his insightful musings to bring WS back into clear focus wink Its more than meets the eye and takes a bit of supervision to really "get it". SSH is right, just another tool in one's ever expanding "bag of tricks". Its all in the bag of tricks. Anyway, don't mind me, just introducing myself and enjoying the thread. Thank you easiski for introducing me to your community (I live a very sheltered life).

Gary Dranow
www.modernskiracing.com
snow report
backtomasters, welcome to snowHeads! It's a great website that you have there Smile
snow conditions
backtomasters, hello, my friend... Nice to have you here, too!

I did play with it a bit with Rick, so I have some ideas about it. But, I'd certainly not try to teach it to anyone, yet... snowHead
latest report
ssh wrote:
backtomasters, hello, my friend... Nice to have you here, too!

I did play with it a bit with Rick, so I have some ideas about it. But, I'd certainly not try to teach it to anyone, yet... snowHead

HEY! You are truly omnipresent Razz BTW, will be up Monday and Tuesday (staying in Frisco). Rick's going to "drill us" Toofy Grin

Thanks for the warm welcome to all Little Angel
ski holidays
Figures... I'm up Sat/Sun... When do you arrive? PM me if we can connect for a drink Sun night?
snow report
ssh wrote:
But, I'd certainly not try to teach it to anyone, yet... snowHead

LMK when you need a guinea pig?
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
ssh wrote:
But, I'd certainly not try to teach it to anyone, yet... snowHead

LMK when you need a guinea pig?
For you, I'd try it. When are you coming out? snowHead
snow report
backtomasters, welcome over here!
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I got a long article about it from Little tiger at the PSB, when Rick had explained it for another person. there was a detailed explanation of how to do it on the flat in your house before trying it on the snow. I followed the instructions and found that all the movements happened exactly as described. However it does allow/promote a hip rotation, which I don't agree with in any normal circumstances. However, if I ever get to meet Rick I am more than willing to be proved wrong!

ssh, I NEVER tell anyone (especially not beginners) to bring their outside arms around for exactly the same reasons as above. I can see we're going to have lots of very interesting (hopefully on snow) discussions at the EOSB!

I can see that there are racing implications for occasional use (as with in air foot rotation), and there are certainly emergency situations where nothing but a gross rotation will get you out of immediate trouble/danger, and I can see the skill/toolbox use of being able to do it, but I can't personally see a useful way of bringing it into my regular teaching at the moment.

Basically, a lot of my students have a problem with rotation, it's one of the main things that keeps them "plateau'd". therefore I spend a great deal of time (apart from balance exercises) finding ways for them to let the skis do the work. We have these fantastic skis now, they will do it almost all for us - to me it seems a shame to then do the work ourselves. Carving and using the ski is not an either/or thing, there are degrees of edge and of carved turns, it is edge control that allows us to use the ski to describe the arc that we want to. If the ski is flat, we cannot do this. If we rotate, the turning ski is flat.

that is not to say that I won't experiment with it once we're open again and my ankle is (hopefully) repaired! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I can see we're going to have lots of very interesting (hopefully on snow) discussions at the EoSB!

Shocked And I'm going to miss this spectacle?? Shocked NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy