Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Separatists (The W Team)

Poster: A snowHead
hels_t, I take it that you've been out playing???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lbt wrote:
Hi Paul

It's been a while Wink

Don't know if we'll make Whistler this year - we'll see how things go with Denise's knee after ESA and then look again. It would be great to get out there again and I'll definitely give the race a go this time if we time it right.

Anyway, if it's still stormy I don't suppose you still have the video you took of me last year do you? You know, around the time I tried to kill you up on Rocky Road....

David

Good to see you if you make it to town.

i shall have a look around and see what I can find.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, certainly have. Can't believe how much snow there is here or how cold it was today (sub -20, I believe). I'm going to have to get the hang of this powder lark. paulhothersall, has been showng me around the mountains, through the powder and trees (what's that all about!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi hels_t, Glad to see it is all going well. Are you getting out most days?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, yes, I've been out everyday except one when conditions were bad and most the lifts shut. Most days I've been out for pretty much full days but its been so cold the last 2 days that I've retreated into nice warm bars a bit earlier.........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Can't believe how much snow there is here or how cold it was today (sub -20, I believe).
hels_t, Hope your nose fals off wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weeee heeeeeeeeee.

45 sleeps and counting...

Let it keep on snowing....

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the green-eyed Snowman, at least my nose isn't a carrot!

Robbie, you heading out this way?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finally, accommodation is sorted! Very Happy (btw, is there an even happier smilie? Or is that just snowHead ?) I'm leaving Whistler after skiing on Saturday 16th and spending a night in Vancouver to hopefully visit some distant relatives before I leave on Sunday evening.

On the accommodation front, I am even happier still! My dad was in hospital (should've been one day, but the doctor went home without discharging him on Friday rolling eyes ), so I waited on booking it until he was out, and over the weekend he was in the hospital the price dropped by $50 per night - result! Very Happy Of course, this success is tainted by the fact that it took about 15 attempts to make the booking! Confused

So, from you lovely Whistler people, I need information! Importantly, a recommendation for a bloody good meal when I arrive in the evening after travelling on the 7th. Also, good place for hearty and relatively cheap breakfasts. Then, where I can meet you guys and gals for a drink! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello to all! Coming to Whistler for the first time on the 17th Dec instead of the usual colorado, utah, tahoe.. nice break after my god awful finals at college. Hopefully the current heat wave will have blown over Laughing , but either way im ready to go. Looks like we have a solid W team in Dec. Where does everyone get a drink in the village?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon, Well it depends on how much you want to spend! It also does depend on where you're staying - are you in the village, village north, upper village? For breakfast I love the Wildwood at the raquet club but it's only handy if you're in Village North. They do excellent breakfasts for not very much at all (in fact brunch until about 3pm). I liked the Portobello for breakfast too when we were over in the Upper Village. Auntie Em's kitchen is good next to the IGA. In fact lots of places do breakfast and, if it's running, it would be worth trying out the fresh tracks breakfast up at the Roundhouse.

For dinner, there are loads of options ranging from reasonable to very expensive. Hy's do excellent steaks and the Keg is pretty good too and cheaper. I love the prime rib with mash and horseradish gravy at the Brewhouse and they do great ribs there. Splitz Grill do fab burgers. I also love the Trattoria di Umberto for Italian - gorgeous mushroom risotto and pasta with spicy sausage and the beef carpaccio is yumm. Blacks do nice pizzas (you usually get them at apres for Ski Esprit) Earl's Bistro is pretty good too and very good value. I've never been to the Mongolie Grill but lots of people really like it. I'm not really into that sort of thing. If you like sushi then head to Sachi Sushi - a lot of the locals do and it's great. If you want a cheap lunchtime pasta then Pasta Lupino is excellent.

For posh then I have a few favourites now. The Rim Rock is the locals favourite and is excellent. I also love Araxi and Quattro (Italian). Apres is another really nice restaurant that opened 2 or 3 years ago.

Hope this gives you a few ideas! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hels_t, Robbie and I are both heading over there on the 12th Jan Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
heading to Whistler from the other side of the pond on Feb 16th, very exicited cause it seems that me and my board will be very happy indeed, any good web sites, pics etc for me to look at ? This is my 'biggy' snow holiday of the year. Is the snow as good as people suggest over there ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tonic wrote:
Where does everyone get a drink in the village?

Citta's, The LongHorn, Blacks, GLC, Tapleys, Merlin's, The BrewHouse...

(All my friends are alchies) wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tonic, I agree with Snowy The Dubh Linn Gate is very popular too and often has live music. Also, Cinnamon Bear is a nice bar although usually a bit quieter. Snowy, speak for yourself wink
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
any good web sites, pics etc for me to look at ?

The Whistler Blackcomb website? They seem to update it quite reguarly with new pictures. The view through the Whistler webcam yesterday morning was stunning.

rayscoops wrote:
Is the snow as good as people suggest over there ?

No, it's terrible. You'll hate it. wink

I suggest going on a lesson or 2 so the instructors can show you were all the good places to ski/board are. The mountains are so vast I'm finding new runs every year, after having visited for several long holidays and a season spent over there. If I hadn't been in lessons, I wouldn't know half of what the mountains have to offer. snowHead
latest report
Blacks is my favourite place for breakfast.
latest report
Ok, where's a good place to test skis, and then buy a pair?
snow conditions
Kramer,
Whistler Village sports
Snowcovers
The place under the Hilton that I can't remember the name of.
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:

Summit Sports?

Whistler Village Sports is good: I demoed some never-skied-on skis last season and thought they were so good, I bought a pair. Cool
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Summit Sports?

That's the one! snowHead

Also Wild Willies is worth a look
latest report
Robbie, Blacks breakfasts are gorgeous. The best in Canada us melissa's in Banff though. wink
latest report
geetee, I'm in the Upper Village. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give the Porobello a try at some point as I'm staying at the Fairmont anyway.

Anyway, more important matters are at hand - watering holes! I suppose the Whistler snowheads must be getting off the slopes about now - spill the beans, where have we got to go?
snow conditions
oooOOOOoooo - The Fairmont!!!!

In the Mallard Lounge - the Baileys Ice Cream and New York Cheesecake desert is to die for!!

Watering holes? Merlins is within staggering distance of The Fairmont.
ski holidays
skisimon, that's where we stayed in the Upper Village too - it was lovely. When we stayed there they were running a seafood buffet every Tuesday ($22 CDN for as much as you could eat) and the food was gorgeous. Keep an eye out for that as it was well worth it. If you're feeling flush then breakfast at the Wildflower is very nice too. Very Happy

As for watering holes - see above posts. Also if you're in the Upper Village you should try BBK's either for a meal or a drink. I also like Monks Grill and La Rua. When we went there one of our friends ordered the lamb shanks and when it came out there were these two big chunks of lamb on her plate. Needless to say she didn't finish it! Oh and Dusty's is a great spot for lunch - cold beer and a pulled pork sandwich. No wonder I never lose any weight when I go to Whistler!
latest report
veeeight, you are aware that I am bankrupting myself in the process of this holiday... rolling eyes Or at least until March! As such, geetee, I very much doubt I'll be feeling flush enough to breakfast in the Wildflower. Sad Laughing

I've only ever been to Canada in the summer (some time ago), and ever since I took up skiing I've been cursing the fact that I'd visited Whistler, Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise, but all in the summer. This trip is the first of those lined up to right the wrongs that were done those years ago as a 9 and 11 year old.

So, I must remember what I learnt last time I was over there - meals are big, two should do it for the day. I must also work out upon arrival the best staggering route to Merlins (and work out something identifiable - do many people wear Hawaiin shirts in the season? Shocked )
snow report
skisimon, Good for you mate. It's only money, and remember, life is not a dress rehearsal! You only get one go at it!
latest report
Quote:

life is not a dress rehearsal! You only get one go at it!

veeeight, my sentiments exactly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, I noticed earlier in the thread that you talking a lot about SuperGroup sessions. I was looking at these on the Whistler web-site and was strongly considering one for my first skiing day in resort. Would you recommend them as good value and worthwhile? I thought it might be quite a good way to get a good technique going at the start of the season, rather than dropping straight back into some bad habits!
latest report
skisimon, In a word, yes.

As you are on Blackcomb anyway, you should book (Guest Services, Level 4 or 5), and rock up to below the ski school hut just outside the Rendezvous Lodge for 9.40am (top of the Solar Coaster chairlift, allow 30mins to get there from the bottom).

Be sure to tell the supervisor allocating instructors to clients, that you are intending to take your CSIA Level 1 in a few days, and want to work on technique.

Taking a CSIA course/exam isn't necessarily about how well you ski, but how you can change/adapt your skiing to whatever hoops they want you to jump through. So the more you can get aquainted with how they want you to ski and teach, the better for you.

Hope this helps, any more queries, please feel free to ask.
ski holidays
veeeight, thanks, I'll get onto that asap. (Can't wait, only two and a half days until I fly out! snowHead ).
snow report
And it's snowing again in Whistler. Very Happy
snow report
veeeight, easter brunch at the Chateau Whistler was fantastic.
snow conditions
skisimon, Actually, since you are at The Fairmont, you don't even have to go to Guest Services. The conceirge will do your supergroups booking for you. Make sure he/she applies the 40% Discover Whistler Days discount.

Since you are at The Fairmont, you don't even have to lug/carry your skis back to the hotel. Simply give them to the Ski Valet in the Fairmont tent at the bottom of the slope at the end of the day!

Helen B, most things at The Chateau are great! But now The Four Seasons Resort is open, I tend to gravitate over there Cool
latest report
veeeight, Has Club Intrawest become Club Fortress!!? Shocked wink
ski holidays
wink
snow conditions
skisimon, give us a yell when you get into town. Send me a private message to get my phone number.
latest report
paulhothersall, will do! (Probably on the Friday as I don't get into Whistler until about 10pm on Thursday).

I really should start packing... Oooo, I'm getting all excited now. snowHead
ski holidays
I've edited paulhothersall's last post to removed his number from public view. Very Happy
latest report
Well, I've just finished a very frustrating packing spree! Mad snowHead Have lost (don't know how, as I swear it was in my wardrobe only a week ago) my old micro-fleece from my first ski trip with various resort sew-on badges. Not happy...

BUT, that means all I have to do now is go to bed, wake up in the morning, make my way to Heathrow with suitcase, skis and boots and I'm almost there! Madeye-Smiley All that tearing my hair out will be worth it! See some of you guys out there!

snowHead Madeye-Smiley Very Happy snowHead Very Happy Madeye-Smiley snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy