Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Separatists (The W Team)

Poster: A snowHead
Well seeing as we have highjacked most North America threads, we might as well have "the Whistler thread".

In 2006, a crack ski unit was sent to "real jobs" by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These snowheads promptly escaped a maximum security airport terminal to the Vancouver underground. Today, still wanted by their employers, they survive as skiers of fortune. If you are in the area, no one else can help you, and if you can find them, maybe you can ski with...the W-Team.

So who is a member, and who wants ski with us?

Of course we now need to make an actual video episode in the season. That would beat the "Whistler" tv show hands down.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-10-06 14:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be there, working on Blackcomb.

But I dare say I'll be able to spend some time skiing with fellow sH's Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulhothersall, am I correct in thinking that the Whistler show hasn't gone down too well with the locals?

veeeight, are you doing supergroups again this season? (I notice the Mike Dempsey link in your sig) We're not too sure what to do with our weekends now that there's no weekend Esprit Sad Do you think that supergroups will become more popular as a result?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geetee, yes I will be doing supergroups again this season!

Prices will be competitive during the "Discover Whistler Days" - huge savings, and last year we ski'd with a lot of clients - very popular.

Why not consider an Extremely Canadian session, they run on Sat/Sun?

Not too sure which days Dave Murray Camps run on?

But the Whistler Summit Sessions will still be running at the weekends, so that will always still be an option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geetee wrote:
paulhothersall, am I correct in thinking that the Whistler show hasn't gone down too well with the locals?

Don't quite know what you meaning specifically.

I was intending to suggest that the whistler locals/seasonaires form snowheads are "the W Team" and just like the A team, if you can find us, we can help out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulhothersall wrote:
geetee wrote:

Don't quite know what you meaning specifically.

I thought Rebligiatti was considering legal action over the portrayal of a Whistler local olympic gold medallist snowboarder in the "fictional" TV series.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, DM runs Monday to Wednesday. Last season we were trying to do DM with Thursday off then Mr geetee and I would do some of the weekend Esprit, sometimes taking the days in turn so that one of us was with the little one. We're thinking about doing an Extremely but after one of our friends was telling us about going face first down Excitation (twice) we're still in two minds!! Laughing Are the summit sessions open to everyone then?

paulhothersall, it was just what fatbob was saying. I'd heard that there was some legal action being considered by Rebagliati as I think he thought the character that died from an overdose was being based on him.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:

I thought Rebligiatti was considering legal action over the portrayal of a Whistler local olympic gold medallist snowboarder in the "fictional" TV series.

Oh that show and "unhappy" locals.

I have watched all the episodes, and pretty much could put a name to at least one person in resort for every person in the series (inc extras) characters.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm doing a season there this year snowHead Got a job interview with intrawest lined up Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ben133, what do you fancy doing? Or rather what are you "qualified" for?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geetee, Summit Sessions on Whistler are open to anyone, so you can go for it! SuperGroups Levels 1-3 are on both mountians, but SuperGroups 4-6 only on Blackcomb. Summit Sessions also fall under the "Discover Whistler Days" 40% discount - so go for it!

With Extremely Canadian, the groups are all split into abilities, so no worries if you're not up for Excitation! IMO - that particular drop really only enables bragging rights, it's pretty extreme and gnarly, and I'd only ever take people down there if the conditions (especially the cornice) was right. If I had a moments hesitation about anyone not feeling confident I wouldn't like their fall on my concience.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, thats only because you would either send them exhilaration to skiers right or alien last drop) skiers left.

BTW, how do I go about convincing Russ Wood not to stick me with beginners all season?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, I keep thinking that we should have done EC last season but we've never felt that we've been good enough. However, we had superb conditions and we did do an Extremely Esprit with Nico instead - almost an EC but not quite!! Do you know Nico? He's so laid back 'just go, just go, don't stop, keep going' Laughing I did so many runs with him for the first time, it was like ticking them off a list.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hoping something like bar work or a lifty or similar. I've never done a season before and don't have any instructer qualifications so I'm sure only the boring jobs are open to me lol!

Veeeight are these off-piste tours everyone is talking about? Might give you a call when I'm out there, never really done any proper off-piste!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

how do I go about convincing Russ Wood not to stick me with beginners all season?

By doing an excellent job, delighting all your clients, ensuring they have the best mountain experience possible whilst in your care, and making sure they tell your supervisor (Wade) how good you are. That is the surest and fastest way for him to give you more responsibility.

geetee, I know the name Nico, but not to speak to. If you're put off EC you can always do a similar thing with SuperGroups on Blackcomb, join a Level 5 or 6 group, and tell them what you want to work on. We all ski on the same terrain anyway! But with SG's we're fortunate that we only have max of 3 in the group so we can work at your pace and not the pace of the larger group.

Ben133, It would be a pleasure to have a ride with you.
snow report
Veeeight

How long are your supergroup courses for?
We're only in Whistler for a week & I was originally thinking of doing either Ski Esprit or a Dave Murray course.

paulhothersall

Count me in for the W Team! Cool
snow conditions
Shades, Are you doing a classic weekend to weekend?

If you only have a week maybe do a SE course, drop me a message, and I could either hook you up with some of the DM or whistler mountain ski club coaches (even me) for a day or instead of the full DM multiday course. That way you have the best opportunity to get out on a few sessions with Veeight.

It might be possible to make use of a day on the gatebusters, or depending on which group I will be coaching in the ski club (quite possibly the adults/masters) you might be able to join in on that. Either way both the coaches are the top "pros" (pun intended for those that get it), an the skiers the highest level in town.

Ben133, lifty gets you a tan, no tips. Its also a pretty oversubscribed job from what i understand, so might be hard to get. Bar work means healthy tips (if your good - ok if not), but again highly desired. Best of luck either way. When are you heading out?
ski holidays
November 16th I'm flying from Manchester with Zoom. I'll probably end up doing a random job, but not too bothered as long as I can get my lift pass refunded and don't have to work all the hours god sends!
latest report
veeeight, thanks for the tips. Basically as most of my experience comes from coaching decent level skiers into higher performance and racing that is more what I already know, thats what I would prefer. Supergroups or SE are more like coaching (small groups or longer time to have continual development).

Fine it might reduce the tips opportunity, but I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

I'm just booking my Level 3 coaching exams now, which gives me a real aim to work for during the season. Given how many Level 3 CSIA struggled/failed on the Coach 2, I think this is a decent challenge. I also have to calm down my moguls a wee bit in time for the CSIA Level 3 exams int he new year (thats what Mark Schroeder told me anyway)
snow conditions
Hey, I'll be in Whistler, now who's who..........

Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith - The leader of the A-Team was forever "on the jazz" and just loved to pick fights with the head honcho of the bad guys.

Captain "Howlin' Mad" Murdock - The even-more-mentally-imbalanced-than-the-others pilot seemed to be proud of his "condition".

Lieutenant Templeton "Face" Peck - The A-Team's pretty-boy was good with the women, but when it came to fights Face was usually nowhere to be found.

Sergeant Bosco "B.A." Baracus - Mechanic and general hard bloke, nicknamed B.A. on account of his bad attitude.
snow report
You've got to try Which W-Team member are you? of course to find out.
ski holidays
http://www.wasteoftechnology.com/quiz/ateam/ba.html me apparently!
snow conditions
Shades, SuperGroups are booked on a daily basis, or on a season basis.

The main difference between SuperGroups and the other programs is that SuperGroups have a max. of 3 in the group.

So if you're a hardcore improver wannabe, this is the program for you. Lots of individual attention.

Paul, was it Wildcard or Jimmys Joker that you broke yourself on last season?
ski holidays
This all sounds very interesting. I've not heard of Super Groups before. What does it cost?
I was in Whistler for the first time last season (for a week, first time skiing accross the Atlantic) and had a great 2 days with Extremely Canadian. Did Excitation and several others similar - one even a bit steeper which required a bit of a climb. I don't think I've done so many steep lines in one day as our first day with them. However, despite new snow the day before we arrived we hardly got to ski any powder (it all got tracked out in the first hour or two after the top lifts opened). Compared with the Alps, where a guide can usually find you powder, often far from any other skiers, I never really felt properly off-piste - perhaps we needed a guide for the back-country?
Anyway, I'm thinking of going back next year.
ski holidays
snowball,
Who were you skiing with? Most of the Extremely guys (and girls) are very good and finding those hidden powder stashes. You must have been a little unlucky too, in January and March it was pretty hard to avoid the powder!! snowHead
Excitation requires a bit of a climb/hike, Exhilaration is pretty much the same though with a slight bit more climbing to get to the entrance and slightly (well quite a bit actually) more chance of maiming yourself on the way down. If you're out in Whistler again, try and get hold of the Finestone/Hodder Advanced/Expert trails not on the map guide book (in fact if you can't wait that long you can get it from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ski-Snowboard-Guide-Whistler-Blackcomb/dp/0973259329/sr=1-3/qid=1162214220/ref=sr_1_3/203-0593038-4699954?ie=UTF8&s=books&tag=amz07b-21)

Unfortunately no season for me this year, got to do some work Sad Though we will be out for a short couple of week Whistler stint in March (maybe slightly longer if on my Red mountain voyage, our flight to Cancelgar gets cancelled on the way or shorter if it gets cancelled on the way back! Confused )
latest report
Quote:

I've not heard of Super Groups before. What does it cost?

Don't quote me on this, but I think CAN$250 for a full day.

Or for an unlimited SuperGroups lesson pass CAN$1499 if you buy before Oct 9, CAN$1599 after.

Outside the peak periods during "Discover Whislter Days" - you get 40% off that. Bargian.

Discover Whistler Days are:

Opening - Dec 22, 2006

Jan 15 - Feb 11, 2007

Feb 26 - March 11, 2007

April 16 - 22, 2007
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Paul, was it Wildcard or Jimmys Joker that you broke yourself on last season?

It was Jimmys joker.

Mark encouraged me to lean forward let myself flow into the mogul and then react, and not anticipate it by almost pre absorbing the bump.

That worked really well for picking up speed on a zipper line right up until the point where I basically hit a solid wall of ice and both snapped skis in front of me. cue the superman flight onto my outstreched hand, and my (metal) watch then broke my wrist.

It was so funny trying to get down to red chair that i couldn't stop laughing. Remarkably I then demoed that you can ski a mogul field without needing the front of your skis.

BTW, for sale 1 pair of Volkl Racetiger race department SL skis 165cm, in need of slight shop maintainence...

snowball I also can't understand how you managed to miss all the powder. Fine some of it is a walk up, but there is some available pretty much year round if you know where to look. I also thought that EC could guide you outside the ski boundary as well.

If you want to do more, such as light backcountry I am sure people here can help. I would be happy to take off the uniform for a day (or so) to put on the tranciever and backpack to head out with you.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 30-10-06 15:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My friend and I did find some good powder in the trees and then right under a lift, twisting down between boulders with one or two little jumps. Great fun. We were sure others would copy us but we did three variants without a single other track joining ours.

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the EC guy who led us. I think we did Exhileration, but I'm starting to get a bit muddled as to which was which.
Only a short uphill trudge to Excitation (the second-best group did a descent from the same point but going off a bit to the left, rather than straight down via those little rocky points) . The slightly steeper descent that I remember was also a steeper and longer ascent, but if he said the name I didn't register it.
The fact that I had no helmet wasn't liked - I had to hire one for the second day but it didn't fit very well and I left it in a restaurant for the afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I also thought that EC could guide you outside the ski boundary as well.

Not allowed to (in theory wink)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 30-10-06 14:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Paul, There's a video of Mark skiing down some hard, re-frozen, icy bumps the size of volkswagen beetles on Wildcard (at the end of April) on the WB ski school training website, have you seen it? Very Happy

He make a good job of it, especially when you consider he was going for the speed element........

Quote:

I also thought that EC could guide you outside the ski boundary as well.

Strictly speaking as they work within our department, no. But it has been known for the name badges to be accidently turned around. It's easliy done, mine has fallen out on a few occasions. wink

Quote:
The fact that I had no helmet
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 30-10-06 14:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Strictly speaking as they work within our department, no. But it has been known for the name badges to be accidently turned around. It's easliy done, mine has fallen out on a few occasions. wink

or get yourself a "Pro" Badge (again pun intended)

Quote:

Quote:
The fact that I had no helmet
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Personally, I normally do EC with a helmet and body armour! Shocked by I'm a bit of a wimp!! rolling eyes It is quite surprising they took issue as I reckon only half the coaches at most ski with one

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-10-06 14:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
veeeight, thanks, and paulhothersall thank you: I may well get back to you on that - eventually.
However I may have given the wrong impression - I had meant the season after this one just coming.We are booked up for this one (3 weeks: St Anton and Verbier with friends and guide, and Grimentz with SCGB). It is for 2008 we are considering Whistler again and/or Jacksons Hole with a friend who knows the latter well, including some of the back-country.

Up till last year only one of the friends I ski with had a helmet (he is also the youngest, about half my age), but last year my best friend (who I ski with 2 weeks every year) got one, so perhaps I should consider it more carefully.
Our EC "guide" was the first guide I have skied with who had a helmet, but then I'm used to Europe.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 30-10-06 15:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Paul, There's a video of Mark skiing down some hard, re-frozen, icy bumps the size of volkswagen beetles on Wildcard (at the end of April) on the WB ski school training website, have you seen it? Very Happy

He make a good job of it, especially when you consider he was going for the speed element........

If its the wbsnowboardtraining site video then yes i have. As normal video makes it look far easier than it really is. Mark is a pretty handy skier from the skills I saw. ok understatement, one of the best ski instructors I have seen.

I notice that many of the Level 3 CSIA instructors (in whistler at least) in my opinion are better in standard than the BASI 2 equivilents, and way more than the BASI 3 that BASI seems to think is all it equates to.

Hopefully for my 1st Feb exams the "moguls" will just be tracked powder and super soft.

All anyone else out for some more courses/prgression this season?
ski holidays
I think that book is quite useful, my mate was doing a season and we used that as a kind of bible. I did a DM course and although I did enjoy it, to be honest I think I'd have got more from a few individual lessons as the terrain we skiied on the DM course was more or less the same kind of stuff as we skiied from that book - Gunbarrels, Turkey chutes etc, but as always with groups you don;t get the individual attention.

still I enjoyed it, it was fab. on one day the snow was coming down so hard we were doing laps of Seppo's and the trees beneath ratfink without seeing anyone else or even our own tracks. COld and horrible on the lift up but great on the way down Wink

best trip ever for snow, it snowed *every single day*
ski holidays
paulhothersall, I'd be up for a few improving sessions. Depending on me getting emplyoed, otherwise I'll be living off pasta and ketchup lol!
latest report
Paulhothersall

Yes,me & my OH will be out for a classic weekend to weekend.
Thanks for the suggestions on the courses,I'll be in touch & we can sort something out!
What are the best bars in Whistler now & do any show the English football ?

Veeeight

Sounds like 40% off for me then! Cool
snow conditions
Shades, I shall advise depending on my favourite waitresses being back in town.

It is possible to get merlins open at 7:30 for football for big"morning" games. I prefer getting the use of the downstairs den at the keg. Fire, plasma TVs, locals only and decent beer along with the steak sandwhich deal....... emmm want to go rigt now.

Worst case (esp for 4am kickoff) is beers at my place, and pplive streamed via the PC.
latest report
Paulhothersall

There's a game on the 14th Jan I want to see 4pm ko in England.
Only problem...clashes with my 1st morning in Whistler!
Do I ski or watch football ?? Confused
snow report
Shades, you can't tape the skiing.
ski holidays
paulhothersall wrote:
I prefer getting the use of the downstairs den at the keg. Fire, plasma TVs, locals only and decent beer along with the steak sandwhich deal....... emmm want to go rigt now.

You can stop that right now!! Next thing you know, I'll have to jack my job in (again, again!) and go skiing for the season rolling eyes wink snowHead

As for bars, not sure about the footy (except the Merlins suggestion already made, possibly Tapleys) but Cittas is normally a good spot especially on Music bingo nights! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy