Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Separatists (The W Team)

Poster: A snowHead
Shades, Do you really need to ask the question? Shocked Mind you I'm not into the footie so I guess it's a no-brainer for me. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paulhothersall & veeeight My daughter did her CSIA level 1 back in April. (she is 15) Is it worth her trying for her level 2 next April without any experience teaching. BASI equates CSIA level 2 with BASI level 1? Any comments on that from you both?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garywilk wrote:
...BASI equates CSIA level 2 with BASI level 1?

Just to make things confusing, BASI numbers the other way around - so CSIA starts at 1 and goes up to 4 - whilst BASI starts at 3 and "goes up" to 1. A BASI 3 and CSIA 2 are broadly equivalent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garywilk,

BASI 3 = CSIA 2

BASI 2 = CSIA 3

BASI 1 = CSIA 3.5 wink

Many people pass their CSIA2 without too much teaching experience, if she pays attention during the L2 course, and in particular, during the Assessment & Development sessions (ie: how to diagnose problems then fix them) - thats more than halfway there. Go for it, it's all valuable learning and development.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhillipStanton, veeeight, Thanks I will pass this on to her. She is dead keen to progress and is already planning a life after school etc. If only I was her age again Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stuarth

Music bingo nights...what's all that about then ?? Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paulhothersall

What level skier would I have to be to ski with you guys ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shades wrote:
Paulhothersall

What level skier would I have to be to ski with you guys ?

Any standard, and as you are talking about things like Dave Murray camps then we know you are not stuck on the greens.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just caught up with this thread. - Is it true that there won't be Ski Esprit courses running over the weekend? - there goes my strategy for dodging the w-e lift-lines.

I'll be out for a couple of weeks at the end of March, so I'll see if I can catch up with you guys then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, no Weekend Esprit this year. You can still do Summit Sessions on Whistler, or SuperGroups on Blackcomb though. Both groups will ski both mountains.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry, bit late joining this thread.
I think it is a real shame they have done away with the weekend Esprit. But still looking forwrd to getting out there mid - Jan.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paulhothersall

Thanks for the info!
Just had my B2's arrive today,can't wait to try them out at Whistler! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shades wrote:
Stuarth

Bingo.... with music. wink

It's like bingo except rather than calling out numbers they play tunes that you have written on your bingo card - they don't say what they are so you have to rely on your 'expertise' (or cheat! snowHead ) Sounds like something for the old people but with a few friends and a load of beer it's a really good laugh - on every wednesday upstairs in Cittas
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stuarth

Sounds like a good laugh,what time does it start ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth wrote:
Shades wrote:
Stuarth

Bingo.... with music. wink

It's like bingo except rather than calling out numbers they play tunes that you have written on your bingo card - they don't say what they are so you have to rely on your 'expertise' (or cheat! snowHead ) Sounds like something for the old people but with a few friends and a load of beer it's a really good laugh - on every wednesday upstairs in Cittas

count me in.
ski holidays
I now have a local mobile sorted out. If you're heading for Whistler PM me and I will send you my mobile number so we can arrange to hook up.
ski holidays
I'm really disappointed they're not doing weekend ski esprit lessons anymore too. Crying or Very sad

I have done supergroups before and I didn't enjoy them (although I do know people who have enjoyed them lots). I think I was just particularly unlucky. One lesson, one particular supergroups instructor got us pole planting uphill and skiing on the inside ski. This instructor, I imagine (although completely insane!), was trying to teach us how not to ski...

I find they don't like skiing off-piste in supergroups lessons either, which is not for my lack of asking.

They also don't go for drinks afterwards so people always slope off early. That's no fun!

I say, bring back weekend esprit! (or bring in apres for supergroups!) Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

I find they don't like skiing off-piste in supergroups lessons either

Are you kidding? You *really* must have been unlucky. Or the group you were in were groomer monsters.

Levels 6 definitely off piste most of the time, Level 5 off piste a lot of the times, but on the groomers to work on technique before putting it all into practice off piste.
latest report
veeeight wrote:
Are you kidding? You *really* must have been unlucky. Or the group you were in were groomer monsters.

I did about 8 supergroups lessons before getting fed up (I had a supergroups pass, hence the persistence!).

I know a few of the supergroups instructors...one of who I raced against in the kokanee race. She was in a speed-suit so I didn't stand a chance!! ...there's me with my cat tracks sticking out in my pockets, meaning I wasn't exactly the most stream-lined person around. I didn't spend half-an hour before the race buffing up my skis either which could explain why I came last. Heh-ho! Smile

I think what it might be is that instructors don't push their 'clients' as much when it's a one-day lesson compared to if they got to know them a little bit over the course of a few days when they have the time to subtly impart a little psychology on them? Would you agree Veeeight? You don't want to scare them off now do you?!

Hence my argument for the resort to restart weekend esprit... snowHead
ski holidays
Also Supergroups are more intensive technically (not always what you want!) - Ski Esprit was more of a social skiing around thing with more emphasis on mileage and technique given where necessary. I think the ski school have missed the point by extending the weekday one as most people I know would do Dave Murray Camps in the week anyway then do Ski Esprit at the weekend for the social aspect and to avoid the weekend line-ups.
veeeight, Give Otto a slap when you see him and tell him to sort it out!! wink

Supergroups are OK, but for me Extremely Canadian is better - groups are rarely larger than 3 or 4, it costs less, you ski more, you get a t-shirt (very important that! wink ), oh and you get the all important beers and nachos in Merlins snowHead As Snowy says Supergroups really miss out on the social side
ski holidays
Quote:

Would you agree Veeeight? You don't want to scare them off now do you?!

I think it depends on the Instructor and level of the group. I know that when I get people on the Level6 Supergroups, I start off by explaining that this is a no-holds barred lesson, and we will be skiing some very steep and knarly terrain, Pakalolo being one of the first runs of the day........

Quote:

Give Otto a slap when you see him

I will pass the messages on, but perhaps it wouldn't be a good career move to "give him a slap"..... Laughing
snow report
veeeight wrote:
I think it depends on the Instructor and level of the group. I know that when I get people on the Level6 Supergroups, I start off by explaining that this is a no-holds barred lesson, and we will be skiing some very steep and knarly terrain, Pakalolo being one of the first runs of the day........

I was going to say "Sounds good; I'll have to ski with you Veeeight" until I read the word p-a-k-a-l-o-l-o. Mmmm, nice!

Do you get good tips Veeeight?? Very Happy
Ever thought about joining the Extremely Canadian crew?

Now secret chute - that's more like it - soft and a nice gradient.

I would often sit on the Glacier Express, looking up at pakalolo, watching some people make a right meal of Pakalolo. Is it always wind-scoured or something?

However, if with Mr Snowy, he'll always say something like 'I remember the day that Dave went straight down pipeline without hesitation, before I did a quick reverse manoevre and went down the easy route down pakalolo instead". snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-11-06 22:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
As Snowy says Supergroups really miss out on the social side (in supergroups)

Thanks for the support Stuart. Smile

Perhaps you could organise a nice leopardskin-effect 'Supergroups' settee in Merlins, to rival the zebraskin-effect Extremely Canadian couch, Veeeight? wink
snow conditions
Tips? Laughing Normally with Brits or Aussies some of my other clued up clients have to drop the hint that tipping is not a city in China.... Laughing

Quote:

I would often sit on the Glacier Express, looking up at pakalolo, watching some people make a right meal of Pakalolo. Is it always wind-scoured or something?

Because the entrace is steep and narrow between two giant rocks, it's more of a mind game, and people end up side slipping into it, thus giant elephant sized moguls form very quickly at the top! Laughing But once you're into in, it's lovely!
ski holidays
Well guys it looks like an extremely cracking start to the season - another 128 cm forecast for the next 6 days! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Shades wrote:
Paulhothersall

Thanks for the info!
Just had my B2's arrive today,can't wait to try them out at Whistler! Very Happy

too late hels_t just bought some today. No more B2 allowed in resort. (sorry)
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
Well guys it looks like an extremely cracking start to the season - another 128 cm forecast for the next 6 days! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well on the down side, it is possibel we might see the sun on Friday, between snowstorms....
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, snowHead how's the packing coming along? Has Mrs PS remembered to pack lots of candles???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The packing is coming along nicely thanks geetee - although in truth we don't have much to pack as most of it is already there. In truth we could just throw some things in hand luggage and just go.

Most of the luggage consists of other people's skis and five cases of very nice wine from the wine merchant (most of which started its life in France).

The biggest "problem" at the moment is technology. I'm rebuilding an old laptop, which is proving problematic...

Candles - is there some girlie chat we've had that I've forgotten Embarassed

17 sleeps.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, girlie chat? By the way, I knew it wouldn't be too long before you started a shopping thread! Laughing As for the candles, I was thinking that it's only 22 sleeps until another significant date wink and not that you should be packing scented air fresheners.

By the way the latest news from Whistler is that it's officially one of the best ski season openings on record - 3 metres of snow!!! There can't be many other places with a snow base of nearly 150cm and rising. I only wish I was there now!!! So for anyone that is - I need regular updates and photos - please!!! - so keep posting. snowHead

Quote:
WOOO HOOO! Blackcomb Mountain opens Thursday, November 23 in the midst of record November snowfall. Whistler Blackcomb is having one of its best openings in memory with back-to-back storm cycles blanketing the mountains in snow. Since November 1, Whistler Blackcomb Mountains have received over 300 cm (10 FEET) of snow, beating the past record set in November 1994. Just last night Whistler Blackcomb received 23cm (9 in) of new snow and the sounds of avalanche control can be heard throughout the valley this morning. With all this new snow, Whistler Mountain opened early for the 2006.07 winter season and Blackcomb Mountain opens this Thursday, November 23. By the weekend, our operations team plan to have more than 5,000 acres available and 3,800 vertical feet to ski/ride.
snow report
PS Mr Fafferson, what date are you travelling out to W?
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
I was thinking that it's only 22 sleeps until another significant date wink and not that you should be packing scented air fresheners.

Ah, that date...

Why do you think I'm out of the country wink
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
Great! I suppose I can jsut look out the window and pretend I'm skiing! Damn knee!
snow report
Not broken already are you Ben133?
snow report
Hi Paul

It's been a while Wink

Don't know if we'll make Whistler this year - we'll see how things go with Denise's knee after ESA and then look again. It would be great to get out there again and I'll definitely give the race a go this time if we time it right.

Anyway, if it's still stormy I don't suppose you still have the video you took of me last year do you? You know, around the time I tried to kill you up on Rocky Road....

David
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Not broken already are you Ben133?
Yup, back skiing on monday tho Smile I jsut sliced my knee open, notihng too serious Very Happy
ski holidays
Bad time to be doing a thong like that. How's the conditions now, has the mega dump continued or was it just the one early season storm?
snow report
Finally got round to booking my flights, so I'm definitely heading out (to BC at least...). I may end up sleeping under a tree if it takes me as long to book the accommodation as it did to book the flights (it'll all be worth it though Very Happy ). Anyway, flying out on the 7th December, back on the 17th.
ski holidays
Still dumping 23cm more today snowHead
snow conditions
Has hardly stopped snowing. Today conditions were lovely but was bloody freezing.

skisimon, wooohooo, see you in a few weeks time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy