Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, the amount of money and effort, you'd hope so! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skanky, yes, I suppose. They certainly have bigger computers to play with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, when I was at the MetO the Cray twins (as they were known) were physically a lot smaller than the machines they had replaced wink ...but yes, I know what you mean, the IBM mainframe they used (the machine I was working with) was used as a front-end processor to them. You knew when they were uploading or downloading too, as it caused a noticeable affect on the performance. Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skanky wrote:
... the Cray twins (as they were known) ...

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MetO publicly released figures here: http://www.meto.gov.uk/corporate/verification/city.html
There's an interesting dip in the forecast gale graph.

The new computers: http://www.meto.gov.uk/research/nwp/numerical/computers/index.html
The Model: http://www.meto.gov.uk/research/nwp/numerical/unified_model/index.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 27-10-06 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was it particularly windy in 2003?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Was it particularly windy in 2003?

Dunno, but as that's a 12 month running mean, it could be towards the end of 2002. It is only a drop of 10%, so it could just be down to one or two missed gales.
NB it might not have been very windy at all, but there's a lot of charts to trawl through for 6 months.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm very much a beginner at this weather lark.

Could anyone point me at how some of the main sites to look at - including where the GFS stuff comes from.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, try http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/

Choice of different meteo models in the top lefthand menu (includes GFS, but also UK Met Office, some North American military, etc). Select which model you want to see, eg GFS, then a new set of menus appear in the middle frame - all in German! Happy exploring.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As well as the sites above, these sites are useful:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/ (click on TopKarten)

http://www.westwind.ch/

GFS is run by this lot: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was a super, sunny day and very warm. the wind was pretty strong to start with but settled down to a pleasant warm breeze about lunchtime, and was positively balmy by 16.00. the snow was really pretty good quality, especially at the top of the Puy Salie and on the nursery slope. The last bit was slightly slushy on a firm base by late afternoon, but considering the temps, you really couldn't call it bad!

Sadly the Roche Mantel, Signal and dome will not be in action again for the Mondial, however the snowheads wall might be skiable with just a bit more snow.

Early this morning

For David Murdoch

the new snowfence at the top

Looking across to the snowpark

at 16.00 the last section looks a bit sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
the last section looks a bit sad

Can you ski on the black stuff?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
II, Yes, and it doesn't look black when you're there. Just ice grey! It's smooth too. No rocks sticking out to trip you up Cool .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, it's better than summer -before it turned wintry in august there were rivers running down that bit - fairly normal actually for late summer skiing! Yesterday that bit only had about 5cms of slush on the top - didn't even get water into my boots! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, great pictures... Would you say the snow conditions are about normal/bad/good this year for late October?
snow conditions
easiski, thanks for the piccy!
snow report
Markus, Not brilliant for this time of year, but of course it's been very hot and windy for nearly 2 months this year. The Mondial is always very hit and miss. I've skied only August area (like now and last year), all the glacier, down to 2,600 and even once right down to resort (2' of fresh). So you just have to hope for the best, but at any rate it's a bit of extra skiing for most peeps isn't it?

David Murdoch, thought you'd enjoy that outfit! Laughing
latest report
Where can you look for a cheap week skiing from 25th November??? Any ideas most welcome. rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
Hello stranger, it's the wrong end of the season for reliable conditions so I suppose you've got to be looking at the high glaciers, that might not help with cheap though
snow conditions
firefly, not many places open that early in the season. Some that are include Val d'Isere/Tignes due to open on the 25th, (but last year they had to delay by one week because of insufficient snow, although skiing was available on the glacier in Tignes); Val Thorens is due to open on the 18th. I'm also not sure if any of the tour operators have got going by then, so you may well have to book your trip independently. If you can get a cheap flight it should be easy to find accommodation in those resorts or nearby. Contact their local tourist office or try the official websites for links to accommodation websites.
snow conditions
Thanks folks.. don;t you just wish you could click your fingers and BAM - a tonne of snow!
Will have to keep my eyes on the snow reports.
snow report
firefly, Probably not cheap, but Zermatt would be a good bet - lovely glacier, lovely town. Sadly, we're not opening until 4th December this year. You always want to ski the week before we open!
snow conditions
Forgot to say: Embarassed it was very windy up top today, but not so much that we couldn't get up and do it. Still warm though, but the wind had shifted to further North. The snow is still holding up, and I thought was really quite nice. Of course we were up an hour later today ...... There are high cirrus clouds and some various others around, so I think a change in the weather is coming - may be before the forecast Weds?
ski holidays
latest weather forecast is... snow on Wednesday above 1700m but in the Haute-Savoie, sun all week at les Deux Alpes but colder from Tuesday evening.
latest report
It's colder tonight than last night - hoope this is a good sign. Very Happy

davidof, Are you going to make it up to say hello this time?
latest report
Looks like a cold front pushing through on Tuesday night, followed by N'lies and NE'lies with HP spreading across Europe (cold nights). That's just from FAX charts so not sure on agreement, yet.
latest report
It froze last night and was very hard and icy today - Little Tiger felt right at home! Turns out she's met one of our pisteurs (who's an aussie) before! Small world. All the locals are saying that it might snow a bit on Wednesday and will be colder. After that it should be nice again.. Very Happy
snow report
Falling temps and 6 inches of fresh waiting for us on Wednesday morning. Then cold and bright for the rest of the trip. The fever is falling as I type Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
w00t as they say.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, they do, don't they? What does it mean, exactly?

<sounds like elderly judge asking what a video recorder is>
ski holidays
Lizzard, Thanks for asking Embarassed Laughing
snow report
Hang on, there's a link round here somewhere, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=w00t Loads of kewl wurds in there.
snow report
FenlandSkier, bah, clear as mud. Begs more questions than it answers, eg how does one 'pwn' somebody?

i like w00t though, particularly spelled with the two zeros. It looks exuberant.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Act your age young man wink
ski holidays
l33t h4xxor me, I will pwn yo ass in the park dude.
ski holidays
Hmmm. Never had my ass pawned before. Will I get much?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, depends how much of a market there is for donkeys in Lincolnshire I suppose.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, what about that 1st night in VT? Wink
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, ssshh. I thought that was your, mine, and the floor below secret wink
snow conditions
Lincolnshire donkeys rock, Bruno kicks ass to win Best British Beach Donkey of the Year
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy