Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Ooer, it looks worse than last year Shocked

foehn with 25C temperatures forecast for the rest of the week. Bring the ice skates, somberos and deck chairs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof, Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grim! Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aye, but it's still early, plenty of time for the snow to arrive....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
can it really be that grim if you can get a car to it?? Not sure where pictures taken from, but none of the glaciers I've been to have had car access before?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevew, what pic?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, 7 posts above this. Click for larger image.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, seems to be missing from my screen.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
stevew, the car is sitting at the top of the Jandri Express, 3200m. There is a track they can get trucks up and down. The chair in the pic is the top of Roche Mantel.

Doesn't look like you'll get Signal or Roche Mantel, or the snowHead s wall, come to that Sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, not for the PSB, it's next week !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian wrote:
kitenski, not for the PSB, it's next week !

It's ain't called a "pre-season" bash for nothing Wink

Fingers crossed it works out ok for you all though.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It still looks good to me
edit: changed where pic was hosted

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 25-10-06 10:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, I can see that one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
stevew, the car is sitting at the top of the Jandri Express, 3200m. There is a track they can get trucks up and down. The chair in the pic is the top of Roche Mantel.

Doesn't look like you'll get Signal or Roche Mantel, or the snowHead s wall, come to that Sad

I've cycled up that far... the glacier was a lot deeper in them days. The track very steep and not somewhere I personally would take a car. The photo was taken a couple of days ago by some people who yomped to the summit and skied down. They skied over what looks like, and is, ice in the photo but it is a bit like last year - mushed up so it is skiable with care. The guy reported that the resort has been moving a lot of snow from places where it is lying on the glacier onto the slopes, although they have been working mainly on the cross section for the moment letting the weather takes its course elsewhere.
ski holidays
Butt out with them negative waves...
snow report
Amazing weather. Here in the states A Basin has been open for a week and Loveland Basin the following day. We had three inches of snow in West Virginia this morning. I'm not booked in Austria until March. As long as the beer is cold and the ground white.

Cheers Razz
latest report
Ouch, this is what the glacier looked like on the last day of the PSB last year, taken a little further round to the right.
ski holidays
Well at least it's white
ski holidays
here is a photo from the west

the weather forecast for Thursday (expected to be the hottest end of October day on record for France) is 25C in Grenoble, 18C at les Deux Alpes and 10C on the glacier. Zero isotherm at 4400 meters. Or as the Sun would say "phew, whot a scorcher". Maybe Easiski can check the temperature around 4pm tomorrow to confirm.
ski holidays
snow-forecast has the f/level around 4000m for the next 6 days Sad

At least it looks like it should freeze Fri and Sat nights.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, with clear nights at this time of year, I would expect it to re-freeze every night. I don't think snow-forecast take into account the fact that there is ground up at these heights radiating away heat, so the temps can be a bit lower than what you would expect at that altitude away from the mountains.
snow report
Sad Bogger, time to improve my technique on ice - better sharpen those edges...

Oh well it could be worse, a few days in the mountains even with limited skiing stil beats the crap out of sitting at work wink
snow report
SHello wrote:
Sad Bogger, time to improve my technique on ice - better sharpen those edges...

Good thing our skis will be serviced by then!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing on ice? Won't it be skiing on slush or skiing on mud?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Skiing on ice? Won't it be skiing on slush or skiing on mud?

I suppose that depends what time any of us get up Wink
snow report
brian, I donlt think it's been anywhere near freezing recently. I've just spent most of the day walking at about 2300m - in a T-shirt.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Lizzard, I'm only talking about overnight with clear skies (which are forecast for the next few days) and at 3200m+. I would certainly expect the freezing level to be way above the summit during the day at the moment.

Explained here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/frost.shtml

the Weather Man wrote:
At night, the opposite happens. The ground surface cools down rapidly, especially if skies are clear and the heat can escape easily into the cloudless skies. So now the ground is acting like the cooling panel in your fridge. The air in contact with the ground is cooled down a lot but because air is a good insulator, the higher up you go the less the cooling effect.

So on a calm, clear night a thermometer on the ground surface will normally read several degrees colder than one just a couple of metres above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, as we are only skiing the glacier, if it's mud we really are in trouble wink
snow conditions
What a difference a few hours make, Metcheck have knocked almost 10 degrees off tomorrow's peak temperature. The true optimists amongst us will notice the dip for next week.
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
What a difference a few hours make, Metcheck have knocked almost 10 degrees off tomorrow's peak temperature. The true optimists amongst us will notice the dip for next week.

huh? Meteo France have added 2 degrees to their prediction for tomorrow, it may snow next Thursday and Friday, but only at high altitude but expect powder on the glacier (don't stray off piste unless you know where the crevasses are).
snow report
davidof,

It's getting colder in the UK...at last...
ski holidays
Snow Forecast are a few degrees above Metcheck, let's see what tomorrow really brings.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
it may snow next Thursday and Friday . . . . expect powder on the glacier

Woohoo! What more could we want! snowHead
snow report
well it's still ridiculously warm here in the south of france. Last year the snow started late also but this year seems even worse. Oh well, the hiking will continue for another few weeks I guess
ski holidays
GFS forecast has temperatures dropping down to seasonal norms around the 4th November. Let's hope they stay there, or get lower...
latest report
rob@rar, that's a long way off. Keep an eye on its consistency over the next few runs - that'll give you an idea on whether there's any real trend there.
snow conditions
Does this lack of snow in October affect the conditions later in the year?
latest report
skanky, yes, I appreciate it's early to call, but they last few runs I checked they all seemed to be showing lower temps in that time frame even if there's still a wide temp range shown at each run. A boy's gotta have some hope you know... Wink
snow report
Markus wrote:
Does this lack of snow in October affect the conditions later in the year?

Not necessarily. There could be record-breaking snow conditions in the second half of November giving the best start to the season in a decade. October is too early to think about laying down a snowbase because there are likely to be warm spells which would melt the snow. The second half of November, when average temperatures are much lower, is when any snow that falls helps to make a good snowbase.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy