Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Womens Skis:Let's try and establish some FACTS.

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith wrote:
Can you provide a scientific reference? Not about my hat.

Googling "biomechanical differences male female" pulls up a high number of articles that describe biomechanical differences between men and women, often in the context of sporting activity.

Can you provide a scientific reference which indicates there are no differences?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and big bellies. And ...how is a snowboarder's COM compromised with those standard issue trousers he wears halfway down his legs Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, I definatly agree that women are more likely to take classes then men. When Im talking equal level skier Im not talking same group in a ski school as that has nothing to do with it. In the same genderly generalizing men tend to go for "better groups then their ability" while women tend to be tooooo humble about their ability. Just like employment interviews.

So no that is not what I mean with equal skill.

What Im refereing to is men and women who actually are equaly good skiers. Ive seen this on some of the best skiers that Ive ever skied with (who have been girls) and its more evident on girls that are shorter. I really dont think it matters much because its not as if it is "back weight" its just hips further back then male skiers. Ill try to see if I can find some pictures of this.

Tex
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski wrote:
Men and women do have a different centre of mass, that's not in dispute ...

rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Googling "biomechanical differences male female" pulls up a high number of articles that describe biomechanical differences between men and women ...

What about differences in centre of mass? Why didn't you Google that? That's easiski's exact assertion, not biomechanical differences in general.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Can you provide a scientific reference which indicates there are no [biomechanical] differences?

I'm sure there are biomechanical differences. But who, except the marketing departments of ski makers, can convince anyone that a difference in ski design is needed? I've never seen any convincing science on this.

It's all tosh, Rob, to target a market with something that sounds credible but isn't. If you talk to people on the inside of ski manufacturing they admit it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

"Basic Swing" is non current BASI/SSS/SSE lingo........ It's now called a "Plough Parallel".......

veeeight, is that because none of us could ever figure out what a "swing" was, never mind how to distinguish a basic one from an advanced swing Laughing

But have they managed to dispose of the dreaded "Chinese snowplough"? - Try teaching a class with Chinese people in it and explaining that nomenclature rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, so you're not able to cite any references that disprove the assertion that there are [centre of mass][biomechanical] differences between men and women, other than describing it as "all tosh" rolling eyes

A few things for you to look at:
Center of body mass and the evolution of the female body shape
Center of mass of a human
Finding your center of mass
Gender differences in pelvic motions and center of mass displacement during walking: stereotypes quantified
The physics of pole vaulting
Center of mass of the human body (see Fig. 3)

And finally, the North American Snowsports Journalists Association (an august body close to your heart?) presented the 2003 Carston White Golden Quill Award to Jeannie Thoren's 20 year campaign to persuade ski manufacturers that physical differences between men and women should be reflected in ski design. See here for more details.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob, I admire your endeavour but wouldn't personally waste time on this stuff.

Women are different from men: they develop breasts and other anatomical differences, such as 'child-bearing hips'. Yes, and we must celebrate this! Is there any significant difference in centre of mass? No, because so many people don't conform to a stereotype anyway, and because a human frame (male or female) is in equilibrium when upright. Any use of that mass by the skier in controlling the ski is a matter of shifting the mass or - more importantly - control from the legs.

There are differences in hip structure (the most important factor) which can (but not always) affect a woman's tilting and edging of skis, but the jury's out on whether that's a ski issue, or an interface issue between ski and boot.

Basically, this concept that women require different tools is sexism for marketing purposes.

I can't believe that Jeannie Thoren has devoted 20 years to her campaign. Had you heard of her before discovering that reference? What has it resulted in?

Women's ski performance is not compromised by using standard equipment, and standard equipment is unisex.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

I can't believe that Jeannie Thoren has devoted 20 years to her campaign. Had you heard of her before discovering that reference? What has it resulted in?

it has resulted in several things both good and bad, binding ramps, heel lifts fitted as standard infact one boot brand will be supplying their womens boots with Thoren threoy wedges next season.

one point though David..... you are not exactly target market for these skis anyway ..are you Shocked

Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'Target market' sums it up!

There's certainly value in the accessories you mention, CEM. The boot, and interface between boot and ski, is where many skiers - male or female - can be helped, depending on what's generating a ski control problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am sure this thread was originally intended to end the confussion about Women's Specific Skis, but I am now even more confused. Confused Confused Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Is there any significant difference in centre of mass? No ...

I think you'll find that the answer to that question is 'Yes'. You asked for scientific references, I supplied a few, but you are ignoring them. That's not very nice, is it? You could at the very least have the good grace to accept that you were not correct to say there were no differences

It's a separate question whether the difference in female CoM makes a significant impact when on skis not tailored for women. I happily admit that I have no idea whether there is any difference or not. I suspect that because you haven't been able to provide any scientific references you don't have any idea either.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Actually, yes I had. I was looking at ski instruction in women-only classes for my girlfriend and happened to find her website when Googling. Didn't pay it much attention because she's based in the US, but I had heard of her. CEM has answered your question about what it has resulted in.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
one point though David..... you are not exactly target market for these skis anyway ..are you Shocked

Is he the "target market" for ANY skis?

Surely to be a target market would imply that you might actually use them. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
I am sure this thread was originally intended to end the confussion about Women's Specific Skis, but I am now even more confused. Confused Confused Confused

At least you understand it Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The last few trips I've rented transvestite skis that are often used by women.
snow report
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

The last few trips

OOH! where did you go, which resort's, did you ski with your club reps, did you file report's
Toofy Grin Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
Zermatt, Gressoney, Val d'Isere, Les Arcs. No, and no.
snow report
Without wishing to sound facile, science may say XYZ in theory, but surely in practice only women can tell whether or not women's skis work? Obviously some individuals may prefer unisex skis and obviously everyone's anatomy is slightly different, but isn't the proof of the pudding in the eating? Which brings us right back to availability of the full spectrum of such skis to test - as a rule of thumb nobody is going to shell out hundreds of squid on a ski they can't test
snow report
eng_ch, actually it was SZK that stated the theory rather than XYZ but i get your point Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Zermatt, Gressoney, Val d'Isere, Les Arcs. No, and no.

When were you in Les Arcs? If you'd said we could have skied together!
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Without wishing to sound facile, science may say XYZ in theory, but surely in practice only women can tell whether or not women's skis work? Obviously some individuals may prefer unisex skis and obviously everyone's anatomy is slightly different, but isn't the proof of the pudding in the eating? Which brings us right back to availability of the full spectrum of such skis to test - as a rule of thumb nobody is going to shell out hundreds of squid on a ski they can't test

Agreed. The danger is that if women specific skis become the only skis available in shorter lengths then that element of choice is removed.

I guess the market will decide but in other industries many companies have restricted their range "in response to consumer demand" when in reality it was to reduce costs and/or to justify some new marketing initiative.
snow report
jtr wrote:
eng_ch wrote:

Agreed. The danger is that if women specific skis become the only skis available in shorter lengths then that element of choice is removed.

I guess the market will decide but in other industries many companies have restricted their range "in response to consumer demand" when in reality it was to reduce costs and/or to justify some new marketing initiative.

A valid point. But at the moment the choice is still removed because unisex skis typically aren't available in shorter lengths either as we discussed here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17323
latest report
eng_ch wrote:

A valid point. But at the moment the choice is still removed because unisex skis typically aren't available in shorter lengths either as we discussed here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17323

… and if what seems to have happened with mountain bikes (see my earlier post in this thread) applies to the ski market, the march of the women specific models will reduce the availability of the smaller unisex skis even further.
snow report
if women buy into these trends. Supply doesn't necessarily force demand.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:

It's all tosh, Rob, to target a market with something that sounds credible but isn't. If you talk to people on the inside of ski manufacturing they admit it.

As an observer to the thread, dismissing someone's arguement because you've talked to people in the industry is hardly compelling proof. Next you'll be telling us that you have photos from the grassy knoll and some of Lady Diana in Chamonix in 2005. Skullie Smile Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
But have they managed to dispose of the dreaded "Chinese snowplough"? - Try teaching a class with Chinese people in it and explaining that nomenclature

Lol! I know, it's tricky, isn't it! I always refer to that particular manouvre are "being locked onto an edge" to save any non-PC-ness!

The lingo is fraught with problems:

Swedish Turns
Norwegian Turns
Austrian Turns
Short Swings
Texas Two Step
Charlston

any more? Laughing
ski holidays
Well, no, bh1, I'm questioning the argument for women's skis because any anatomical differences between the sexes are as significant as anatomical variations within each sex. They don't add up to an argument for designing skis with different shapes, flex patterns, constructions etc. and saying "these are for you, because you are a woman".
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Well, no, bh1, I'm questioning the argument for women's skis because any anatomical differences between the sexes are as significant as anatomical variations within each sex. They don't add up to an argument for designing skis with different shapes, flex patterns, constructions etc. and saying "these are for you, because you are a woman".

It would help me if you had some evidence to add to that argument, rather than simply making a set of assertions which run counter to what we know about sexual dimorphism.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look around you, Rob. There are men shaped like sticks, pears, gorillas, Arnold Schwarzenegger (juxtaposition unintended), Tom Cruise and Luciano Pavarotti.

And women vary quite a bit, too.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
I'm questioning... [whether]... any anatomical differences between the sexes are as significant as anatomical variations within each sex.

I've already given an example that shows that, with respect to CoM, the inter sex variation is way greater than the intrasex variation.
snow conditions
What you've quoted isn't a statement.
ski holidays
So I expect there will soon be a growing market for "Lardy Ski's" wink
ski holidays
Very good point. One might assume that the performance of a ski is affected by whether there's a 50kg person bolted to it, as against a 90kg person.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
They don't add up to an argument for designing skis with different shapes, flex patterns, constructions etc. and saying "these are for you, because you are a woman".

That is a load of unsubstantiated codswallop (and sexist to boot!)

The K2 t-nine series were not "these are for you, because you are a woman", but "these are for us, because we are women".
You give a bunch of women the opportunity to design skis that suit them best, they then test them with many other women involved, and you turn round with a ski designed, developed and tested by women, for women. That's what they designed, cause that was what worked best for them.

If you talked to anyone actually involved in the industry in this sort of process, you would know it to be factually accurate. If you are referring to what Salomon and Rossignol were doing at the time in an effort to have "women's skis", then you weren't dealing with the real industry, but the marketing - e.g. the original Rossi B1w was just a cut down B1 with a w at the end. No design changes. Not a women's specific ski.

The Volkls, Nordicas, Heads etc that are coming out now for women are different designs, because in testing and development they have found what works better based on their testing.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Very good point. One might assume that the performance of a ski is affected by whether there's a 50kg person bolted to it, as against a 90kg person.

There certainly is - that's why flex patterns on longer skis within the same model range are different to those on the shorter lengths. (and it also shows why with modern ski design and technique that weight is more of a factor than height)
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Look around you, Rob. There are men shaped like sticks, pears, gorillas, Arnold Schwarzenegger (juxtaposition unintended), Tom Cruise and Luciano Pavarotti.

And women vary quite a bit, too.

Me looking around, using "common sense" as a yardstick, would be a pretty stupid way to assess human physiology. You asked for scientific references earlier - that seems extremely sensible, so why not contribute something along those lines to support your assertions?
snow report
Well then, let's start analysing mass and body shape, irrespective of gender. Women don't need different skis because they're women. Men don't need different skis because they're men.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, even assuming your assertion to be accurate (I abstain on that!), do you mean "need" as in can't get down the mountain on the other? If so, then no, women don't "need" women's skis. But they may well "like" women's skis (or not); whether it's physical or psychosomatic, they may well ski better and feel more comfortable on women's skis. By the same token, there is no "need" for anything more than one make and one type of ski. Isn't the key here to actually have the choice?
snow conditions
That's a wholly different matter. SZK kicked off this thread with the word FACTS, and the thread's been a shambles because there were no facts.
ski holidays
Quote:

David Goldsmith wrote:

Mrs Ski and I weigh the same (9 1/2 stone).

Do we have similar taste in skis ? No.

As it goes Mrs Ski is much more selective (with skis) than me, and prefers a lighter, softer ski. Some of this is down to ability and experience, for sure, but part of it (it seems to me) is due to the fact that Mrs Ski is a Mrs and I'm not.

Mrs Ski skis better, and enjoys, her female-specifc PhatLuvs more than any other ski - including a selection of other fatties she's used. She didn't pick them because they are a ladies ski, she picked them because she enjoyed using them !

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 3-10-06 10:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy