Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emergency kit - what should we carry?

Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton wrote:
the space blanket has little, if none, insultating properties

Personally, I'd prefer to ski with a man who carries a duvet NehNeh.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
the space blanket has little, if none, insultating properties

Personally, I'd prefer to ski with a man who carries a duvet NehNeh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing but would you get insults or insulation with this? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, Laughing

Sadly I don't remember his argument... he's quite experienced though and I should have listened harder. He is also mental. Maybe this had something to do with it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno - DOH Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton, Not a great deal of trapped air. Also mountains are often windy environments making a blanket likely to blow about. Now a bivvy bag is another matter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
PhillipStanton, Not a great deal of trapped air. Also mountains are often windy environments making a blanket likely to blow about. Now a bivvy bag is another matter.

I agree - a bivvy bag is much better. But so much heavier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I often have used a cheap long plastic garden waste bag as a rucksack liner, have used it overnight as the old elephant foot, leave inside rucksack and pull the lot up to your waist like a mini sleeping bag.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa, How about a space blanket sleeping bag as opposed to the space blanket?

I guess if someone is lying injured though, a space blanket could be quite useful, whereas the sleeping bag wouldn't Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi,

Quote:

Personally, I'd prefer to ski with a man who carries a duvet .

That would be me then snowHead Well a down jacket anyway. When touring. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I don't ski off piste so don't worry too much about whistles and phones etc

a friend of mine was snowboarding on a blue piste and was hit by a skier fracturing his leg and knocking him into the trees downhill of the run. The selfish skier skied off without stopping.
He lay there for 20 mins before being discovered by another skier because no one heard his cries, even his wife who he could see waiting a short way down the slope.
As a consequence I carry a plastic whistle around my neck more as a totem against this happening to me! Aren't people selfish!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where can you buy plastic whistles from? I think I am convinced enough to get them for the family.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, S & R
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

...a guide called Remy Lecluse who argued that they are the biggest waste of time ever...

That got me thinnking. A quick google search comes up with a post in a moutaineering forum which lead to HISYSTEMS website, which explained how a space blanket works, and how to use it;

http://www.hisystems.co.uk/technic.htm

The body loses heat in 5 ways: Convection, Conduction, Radiation, Evaporation and Respiration. The 'Life' Blanket helps reduce heat loss in four out of these five categories.

Convection
When wind blows against the skin, it helps speed up the processes of evaporation, making the person feel much colder (often known as the wind chill factor). The 'Life' Blanket forms an impermeable layer between the skin and the wind, helping to prevent heat loss through convection.

Conduction
Heat may be lost through contact with surfaces at a lower temperature than that of the body. Although the 'Life' Blanket's insulating properties help prevent this (particularly the thicker reusable blanket), the patient should always be placed on an insulated surface, if possible.

The blanket should not be wrapped too tightly, as the air trapped between the blanket and skin provides further insulation, helping to prevent conduction of heat to the outside environment.

Radiation
Heat is lost through radiation from all over the body. The 'Life' Blanket will reflect back over 90% of this radiated body heat, warming the patient in a natural and progressive fashion. It should be noted here that the hands, feet and as much of the head as possible should be covered by the blanket.

Evaporation
Heat is lost through the body's natural cooling system (perspiration) which evaporates from the skin. The Blanket, if used properly forms a closed tube around the patient. This increases the humidity of the air next to the skin, and slows down the evaporation process.

The only other way in which heat is lost is through respiration (breathing), and this should be attended to with an inhalation re-warming unit where one is available, or by covering the mouth and nose area with wool or a handkerchief.

HOW TO USE IT PROPERLY; http://www.hisystems.co.uk/howto.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Where can you buy plastic whistles from

or Millets even for £3!
snow report
Ray Zorro,.......Whistle dixie here
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
Where can you buy plastic whistles from? I think I am convinced enough to get them for the family.

Plastic perry whistles (like on life jackets) should be about £1 each from outdoor stores
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, I bought my whistle (on a lanyard with my swiss army knife around my neck) as part of a small first aid kit, which I carry in my backpack.
snow conditions
just going back to the whole space blanket debate - despite the reduction in heat loss as explained above, theres also the benefit if off piste and hopeing to be rescued that a big shiney silver thing is a bit easier to see from a chopper
snow report
frostie1861, fair enough.

Which reminds me. How many people know how to give basic hand signals to chopper pilots? All basics but very important when heading off piste...
snow report
parlor, If we come to Verbier should we carry a spare bathroom?
snow conditions
choppr hand signals? never even thought of that to be honest - i shall scour the net to see if theres an on line idiots guide
latest report
Quote:
what should we carry incase of an emergency

Ray Mears?
snow report
skanky - Laughing
ski holidays
helicopter hand signals - http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14014/css/14014_277.htm (sorry not sure how to do a proper link!)
ski holidays
ah, i see it does it for me!
ski holidays
This: -

Code:
[url=http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14014/css/14014_277.htm]helicopter hand signals[/url]

Gives: -

helicopter hand signals
snow report
I would probably end up doing crane driver signals rolling eyes

Is that it or are there more for more advanced peeps ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've consolidated everything here - well, at least I hope I have.

Please edit and improve!
ski holidays
I can't do wikis but would it be a good idea to have a link from the wiki to this thread?
Nice work by the way, but I hardly carry any of it. Embarassed
latest report
T Bar wrote:
I can't do wikis but would it be a good idea to have a link from the wiki to this thread?
Nice work by the way, but I hardly carry any of it. Embarassed

Will do.

It's the first one I've done. Seriously, if you can edit text here then you can edit the wiki.

I'll do a link to here though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy