Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emergency kit - what should we carry?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the 'One for the boyZ' thread, what should we carry incase of an emergency:

Injury

Adverse weather

Lifts breaking down

Getting lost

etc etc

The space blanket has been discussed . . . it is small and light and would easily fit in a pocket or rucksack. Any other suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my ski backpack there's always a:

- space blanket
- small first aid kit (focussed on stopping blood, rather than doing anything about it)
- LED head torch
- small strobe thing
- plastic whistle
- pink powder traces.

...and all sorts of other, unsavoury stuff...

None of this stuff takes up much space and after having seen three of four people injur themselves quite baldy I don't begrudge the space.

One thing I've only started doing recently is making sure I've got the telephone number of the local pisteurs in my mobile. Most resorts publish a number that you can phone for help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton wrote:
One thing I've only started doing recently is making sure I've got the telephone number of the local pisteurs in my mobile. Most resorts publish a number that you can phone for help.

I also do this, although all the piste maps I've seen recently have the 'Secours' phone number printed on them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, Imagine trying to blow a metal whistle Shocked

I have often given thought to these things, usually when browsing round S & R, and then just do nothing about it. I had thought about a whistle and torch, but until now not the blanket or even the first aid kit.

Is the pink powder for X marks the spot?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Is the pink powder for X marks the spot?

Primarily as powder traces - the last thing you want to be doing is going for help and losing your skis off-piste

And two other things I've seen done, but not done myself:

- instead of just crossing poles above the victim, you can use the powder traces to make a "fence" - pole either end, traces tied

- to form an X on the ground to help being sighted from the air - although I'd imagine you'd want to pick them up before a helicopter came anywhere close.

("We're saved. We're saved. It's crashed. It's crashed!")

Why pink?

Because they go better with my outfit, silly... wink

No, seriously, because they're easier to see on snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If going well off-piste, particularly ski-touring, I think a small GPS (a basic one will do) is worthwhile, so that there is no doubt where you are if uncertain - especially when advising the emergency services of an accident location. I also echo taking a phone with the local emergency numbers already tapped in. And we all know 112 in Europe - don't we?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of those little tea bag things which, when opened, can warm hands for some hours. They keep indefinitely if the packs are unopened. Chocolate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
And we all know 112 in Europe - don't we?

Err... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Ooh then you could have hot chocolate Toofy Grin I always carry handwarmers and chocolate anyway.

achilles, I didn't know that, but do now Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Round my neck I wear a spare bootlace with a whistle & led light. Duct tape round ski pole or in pocket. In pockets -ratchet+bits, a few spare bolts. I've fixed people's ski & snowboard bindings with this. Space blanket, headlamp, radio, tubigrip, plasters, strapping in pack if carrying.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, Do your ski boots still have laces....? Toofy Grin

Seriously though, be careful when wearing such things around your neck - esp. skiing through trees. If they somehow snag you can be in big trouble. I know it will probably be normally tucked away, but I saw a particularily nasty accident a few years ago near Courchevel - Warm day, spring skiing a young woman skiing in a t-shirt took a tumble and caught her elastic ski lift pass string in a tree root or something. It eventually broke, but left her with a really bad cut.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Rosiere piste map Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In addition to the mobile phone, might I suggest a few choice phrases in the local language if you don't speak it.

E.g Help my partner has just broken their leg/arm/head

We are on piste number .... near the top/half way down/almost at the bottom

I can see the top/bottom station of the ....... lift

etc.

In the event of really bad weather, a piste map with north marked on it and a compass and a whistle to attract attention, of course this is exceptionally rare as you will always keep an eye on the weather and ski back early when it starts to change won't you.

If stuck on a lift for a while those self heating hand warmers might help but the space blanket willl probably blow away.

Mars bar or similar for a quick sugar rush and bit of extra energy.

I usually carry the following.

Money
Credit card (for emergencies)
Insurance card
Lift pass
Digital camera
Swiss army knife
Hip flask
Chocolate bar

variously concealed in pockets about my person, I also tend to carry two or three spare piste maps to help out lost skiers and a timetable for the local trains to Wengen etc.

I don't ski off piste so don't worry too much about whistles and phones etc, also I tend to be back well before the runs close for the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As well as some of the suggestions above, I always carry my passport.

Firstly, I don't like leaving it in hotel/chalet rooms.
Secondly, it is a worldwide recognised form of identification.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No-one has mentioned two-way radios yet - my daughter bought us a set for Xmas last year, and they were really useful. Mobile pohones don't always get a signal in the mountains. Our son got lost just as we were on our way home in Villars. He didn't have a radio, phone or piste map, it had just started to get foggy and he ended up on the wrong Mountain. Fortunately for him, a kind Frenchman gave him a lift in his car round to the bottom of the Gondala where we had been waiting for over an hour for him.

I am now going to buy another set of Two-way radios.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, good for line of sight, I believe - which covers many situations, though I have not used them myself for skiing. And they will have lower costs per call than a mobile, of course.
latest report
If with no intention of going off piste, I carry no more than insurance documents, choc bar, tape, swiss army knife, phone, 2-way radio, digicam, sunglasses/goggles, led headlight, whistle (the last 2 occupy no room), all in a small camelbak. If going off piste then I include xtra layers, proper compass (though my watch has a digital one with altimeter), shovel/probe/transceiver, space blanket, some gimmicky silver kite thingy I bought one day which flies at the slightest air movement to mark your position (no idea if it really works), balaclava, binocs.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
...some gimmicky silver kite thingy I bought one day which flies at the slightest air movement to mark your position (no idea if it really works)...

But who cares if it works - it's a toy!
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Exactly! Very Happy
ski holidays
I carry a whistle, radio, phone, space blanket, water, chocolate, spare hat, fleece, glove liners, sun cream and lip balm. I'm thinking of getting a bigger back pack.
snow conditions
Hip Flask. In case the slope gets too steep.
snow conditions
toilet roll in case it gets steeper.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I carry my passport with me when in Switzerland because it's mandatory to have identification on you at all times. It's not so much for on the slopes but the drive to and from - need it (and driving licence) if stopped by the police in one of their random stop-every-other-car sessions

I normally carry wallet, phone, radio, mini mars bar, suncream, lip salve, ski lock, glove liners, sunnies (usually wearing goggles), goggle case, piste map, keys to car/accom, buff (when not wearing), at all times plus passport in CH and digital camera when I remember - and all that in jacket pockets. Am seriously thinking of getting a back pack (sth like a Heli Pro?) this year as I can then also carry water, spare goggles for alternate light conditions, as well as empty out my pockets a bit and have somewhere to put a fleece if it gets hot - and have a pack that's compatible with avy gear for such time as we're ready to need to carry it. Kept thinking about a whistle last year but keep forgetting to buy one
ski holidays
Quote:

And they will have lower costs per call than a mobile, of course

They cost nothing per call, which unfortunately seems to lead some of those who carry them to feel compelled to sit on chair lifts broadcasting their breathtaking exploits and lunch plans to anyone on the same channel. They are very useful (in line of sight) but you need to have someone else to talk to, listening on the same channel. There's no equivalent of "Channel 16" for marine emergencies, though I suppose you could call "Help, M'aidez!" on every channel in turn, and listen out hopefully.
latest report
pam w, very much agree about unnecessary chatter on MY channel - how dare they? wink

Usually find one that nobody else seems to be using by about day 3.

Generally find that they are useful to make lunch arrangements! - but also helpful if group gets split up e.g. by someone taking a tumble and others stopping to help.

Trying to get back to the thread and not get diverted onto pros and cons of 2-way radios,

Other bits of kit that I take (not mentioned above):

A multi-tool (as well as the Swiss army knife that is).
snow conditions
Quote:

Hip Flask. In case the slope gets too steep.

Quote:

Imodium in case it becomes a crevasse Shocked
latest report
ever since watching an episode of Ray Mears Extreme Survival where a former US Airforce Pilot and his son tooka wrong turn off the top of a ski lift in bad weather and ended up spending 5 days on the moutain, i carry a little bit more kit with me in my pack.

I now carry a space blanket, bivvy bag, a large slab of kendal mint cake, elasticated bandage and usually an extra layer. i also carry a plastic whistle in the inside pocket of my jacket rather then in my pack as then its easier to get to if i take a spill and cant get in to my pack.

i bought a set of two ways earlier this year and they were a god send. everyone in my small group had one (5 of us) and apart from the usual lunch arrangements and banter, they really came in to their own when we were off piste (in bounds, nothing too adventurous) they were great for calling back up the slope to advise on lines to take, hazards to avoid etc and also to radio ahead if you took a spill to let everyone know you were ok. i bought the latest set of motorolas which cost about £70 - which is usually less than the extra on my phone bill after a week away! i just wish id bought them sooner.
latest report
Survival blanket
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC wrote:
fatbob, Do your ski boots still have laces....? Toofy Grin

Seriously though, be careful when wearing such things around your neck - esp. skiing through trees. If they somehow snag you can be in big trouble. I know it will probably be normally tucked away, but I saw a particularily nasty accident a few years ago near Courchevel - Warm day, spring skiing a young woman skiing in a t-shirt took a tumble and caught her elastic ski lift pass string in a tree root or something. It eventually broke, but left her with a really bad cut.

No but my snowboard & tele boot liners do though plus I figure I could always try to rig a broken buckle with it if necessary. Obviously I keep it well tucked in, unlike the waist buckle on my pack which once jammed in a chairlift and had to be abandoned temporarily. rolling eyes
latest report
frostie1861, 5 days? They were hiding.
snow report
David Murdoch - thats one hard core game of hide and seek! think it'll make it in to next years X Games? Laughing
latest report
Is someone going to do a laminated list to complement the travel bag packing one ? snowHead
snow conditions
Mars bar
ski holidays
Corkscrew.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Laughing
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Pampers are,..... how shall I say....more efficient.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I find a Breitling Emergency does snowHead

Dont reccoment testing it out though - know a guy who got a £30,000 bill for posing with it

A
snow conditions
Injury
first aid kit- triangular bandage, some tampons, analgesia (codine or DF118 or diclofenac- very useful when Mrs Ed or I dislocate our shoulder - 3 times so far- it's a long way down from pissalais to Val D'Isere)
space blanket
used to carry a long 12 G needle- but not that sort of Dr anymore
latex gloves- very useful if dealing with someone elses blood
a guedel airway that fits me / most people.

Adverse weather
spare hat / gloves, goggles- in case dropped- it's a long way down from the top of the grand Montets without these
usually carrying Mrs Eds down jacket or vest + a fleece

Lifts breaking down
ergh- nothing special

Getting lost
whistle, map, mobile
(space blanket)- small amount food
led torch

I have been lost overnight up various mountains in The Dolomites, Nepal and Morrocco- and have never regreted carrying a small amount of stuff just in case. I have also hurt myself on a number of occassions and have always been pleased to get some pain relief. Once or twice I've seen other people mess themselves up - quite badly - and being in a position to help is good.
ski holidays
I won't post my whole list again. You can see it here.

Interesting that so many people have said space blanket. I always carry one but a few years ago I was skiing with a guide called Remy Lecluse who argued that they are the biggest waste of time ever. In alpine situations, he offered, they give no added insulation at all.

I'm looking forward to adding GPS to my kit list...
latest report
parlor wrote:
...a guide called Remy Lecluse who argued that they are the biggest waste of time ever...

I'd be interested in the reasons.

I'd agree if his argument was that the space blanket has little, if none, insultating properties on its own. Much like tin foil. But I'd have thought the properties of the space blanket irrelevant compared to the benefit of the trapped air layer it would create?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy