Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarder v Skier - straight line speed

Poster: A snowHead
snowangel., camel toes on an athletic female figure are always a fine thing.

A pedantic point. Moguls are a side effect of riders skidding turns and skidding to a stop. Snowboarders don't skid? wink

I'd agree that skiers can probably get into a more aerodynamic position and for pure speed that's what matters. But who cares? I have no particular inclination to ski at 250kph.

Skiing bumps on the other hand, at around 20 kph... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All things being equal skis are faster since they have less surface area than a board and I believe regardless of ability skis, if left to run, will be quicker. However I will point out that I don't complain about all the intermediate skiiers that I have to pass down the mountain so live and let live.

Worth noting is the fact that the skiing scene has blatantly ridden on the back of the "cooler" boarding scene in terms of clothing and names for equipment. wink

Oh and PS................in powder, no comparison, boarding looks sooooooooooooooooo much better! NehNeh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Worth noting is the fact that the skiing scene has blatantly ridden on the back of the "cooler" boarding scene in terms of clothing and names for equipment.

true, no doubt and we have to give thanks for the boarders who have lent some 'cool' to the real mountain activity that matters, but hey, we dont want to start the old debates, as a skier, I crave the board in powder, as a boarder I crave the skis everywhere else on the mountain, but hey, isn't that life all over...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes we all want what we don't have at the time. My girlfriend often complains that I'm never happy....

martski, I'm intrigued - where are the french alps??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 week snowboarder vs 3 week skier in a powder field I'd put my money on the boarder.

Most other places, abilities I'd bet on the skier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was just curious 'cos if you've got a good Boarder and they go into that really low squat position and straight line it, they really can fly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski, ever see a really good skier in a tuck?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philip Prior wrote:
All things being equal skis are faster since they have less surface area than a board

If this were true, boards would be faster. More surface area = more speed, broadly speaking.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flicksta, I think you're right. skiing/boarding isn't "solid" friction but some weird kind of liquid laminar flow thingie. I don't believe surface area has as great an effect as it does with sand papered blocks sliding down wooden gradients...

I think the limiting factor at the velocities we're discussing is air resistance?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger wrote:
, ever see a really good skier in a tuck?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flicksta wrote,
Quote:

If this were true, boards would be faster. More surface area = more speed, broadly speaking.

Depends on the piste you are riding on. Hard piste - more surface area = more friction = slower speed. Soft (powder) - more surface area = more float = less drag from surrounding snow = more speed.

I've got ologies coming from my orifaces don't ya know. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Who would love to see me stack at the end of the rendll speed run at 68.75 kmph lol?!
If you do, can someone tell me how i can upload a video to the site and you can have a look?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel., whooooo go you!!! Very Happy Very Happy

snowboard gear is cool Cool it's the same as freestyle ski gear, all the new stuff is cool. Cool Better to be individual then wear the same old boring thing!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It doesn't matter who gets down the hill fastest, it's having the most fun doing it that counts Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Board4Life, exactly. What's the point of going fast when there's all that lovely piste to sit down in the middle of? Laughing
snow conditions
ben wright wrote:
Board4Life, exactly. What's the point of going fast when there's all that lovely piste to sit down in the middle of? Laughing

Yeah, we do that so we can laugh at the clothing skiers wear!!!!!! Razz
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
snowangel., whooooo go you!!! Very Happy Very Happy

snowboard gear is cool Cool it's the same as freestyle ski gear, all the new stuff is cool. Cool Better to be individual then wear the same old boring thing!!!!

... yeah ... that's why all those who want to be individuals dress alike in the new stuff wink
snow conditions
I usually have found when sliding with a mixed group the skiers are quicker. This is at an intermediate(or whatever we are calling it this week) level.
ski holidays
A couple of years ago we measured a load of average skiers and UK pros in Zermatt by GPS by strapping one onto their arms and looking at the highest speed at the end of a blue and a black run.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that pretty normal, relaxed skiers can cruise at 25-30mph on a wide open blue, but didn't really go any faster on a black and in several cases went slower.

The fastest pro/semi-pro was Alex Murphy who grabbed a pair of Stockli Dom Perrets and pointed them down a pretty gnarly black - he hit 87mph which seemed pretty quick - there were a couple of guys right on his tail on fat twins so it wasn't just the kit. More the complete lack of fear and an ability to blank out the thought of the consequences...

When riding with good boarders they easily run alongside good skiers. It's only when you get into rubber or onto the flat that skiers seem to pull off. Have I just said something indecent?
snow conditions
beeryletcher,
Quote:

Speed gun at St. Anton is just out the back door of the Rendl gondola. It's a tiny little run and those speeds are in KPH.

Didn't know about that one, will have to give it a try in March. We did the one in Lech I think it was (Lech or Zurs anyway!)
snow report
fallliner, What's 'getting into rubber' - in the Skiing sense I mean, because of course I'm well into rubber in the Apres scene. NehNeh
ski holidays
I think you've stumbled onto my exact meaning...
snow report
beeryletcher wrote:
flicksta wrote,
Quote:

Depends on the piste you are riding on. Hard piste - more surface area = more friction = slower speed. Soft (powder) - more surface area = more float = less drag from surrounding snow = more speed.

I've got ologies coming from my orifaces don't ya know. snowHead

Sorry, more surface are = less friction. Same force applied over larger area equals less friction. However, as David Murdoch said, it isn't a simple situation, since we are actually riding on a liquid, since the snow surface melts. I am being some sort of physics nerd today.[/b]
snow report
"Sorry, more surface are = less friction. Same force applied over larger area equals less friction."

'fraid not. Frictional force (in newtons) is generally dependant only on the coefficient of friction between the surfaces ( a dimensionless value) and the normal force (in newtons) The surface area does not appear anywhere in the equation.

The only time that the surface area plays a part is if the materials are such that there is a signifcant cohesive forcer between them. This only occurs between very similar materials.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Dynamics/Forces/FrictionalForce.html

But as has been said, we are not dealing with normal sliding friction here.
snow conditions
davehk, Sliding (dynamic) friction and static friction are distinct concepts. For sliding friction, the force of friction does not vary with the area of contact between the two objects. This means that sliding friction does not depend on the size of the contact area.

Great. I am talking out of my @rse again.
snow report
eddyr,

If you don't really get it about us boarders then stick to skiing.

Before anyone jumps on my back i skiied for 20 years and boarding gave me the new buzz i was craving. The same can happen in the opposite if you have boarded for a long time.

Anyway , Who's the fastest? ME of course wink wink

beeryletcher,
Quote:

What's are camel-toes?

Give a girl a 'wedgy' and you'll see one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
paulm, I know what they are really, was just hoping for some pics Toofy Grin
ski holidays
dodgy link time
dont follow if you are going to be offended as you can guess what it's about.

http://ratemycameltoe.com/vote.php

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-09-06 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flicksta, davehk, Sorry I should never have mentioned FRICTION, because, what I really meant was DRAG. This is what slows us down. This is different; large area creates more DRAG. If you don't believe me try parchuting with a hanky, instead of a canopy! Laughing
snow report
beeryletcher wrote:
paulm, I know what they are really, was just hoping for some pics Toofy Grin

www.cameltoe.com
ski holidays
Nick_C, Good Man !!!! Toofy Grin Laughing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
flicksta, Ditto !!!! Looks like this is gonna be a long lunch break Twisted Evil
snow report
Yeahh...now a thread i can live with. And who said snowheads was quiet in the summer! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I don't know if I ski fast.

All I know is that the guys who saw me coming down the slope thought I had a blue jacket.

The guys who saw me from behind, skiing down, could have sworn it was red.

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Cedric, using doppler shift as a speed measurement is all down to the observers and I saw nothing NehNeh
latest report
Cedric, thats about warp 3 isnt it? Smile
snow report
Cedric, do you find that your mass increases just as you get into your stride?

Annoying as hell. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Cedric, do you reach the bottom only to realise you got there before you set off?
ski holidays
too .... many ..... words ...... cant ....... compute ......

I think skiers and snowboarders have never got on better than we do now. I'm still faster. NehNeh

Not a bad haul for my little fishing excursion Laughing
snow conditions
Bet I could beat you all down the hill to the nearest pub...snowboard...skis...blades....no bother.

But on the other hand if I did let you beat me, mines a John Smith's Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy