Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boarder v Skier - straight line speed

Poster: A snowHead
All things being equal, if you had a Boarder and a Skier, same weight etc., set off down the same slope, same everything and just straight line it. It's just a point and go start e.g. skier isn't allowed to skate at the start, no tail gating etc.

Who would be quickest ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Presume the skiier - it's a friction thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skier easily
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year in St Anton i hit 68.75kmph on the speed run on my board... pretty quick but i know skiiers can go a lot quicker!!

What is everyone elses highest recorded speed?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iceman_louis,

Was that on the Rendl area? 68.75 is very quick on a board. I got 70.something on skis on that time track, that seemed about the same as most adult skiers. Most boarders seemed to be around 65.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
iceman_louis, beeryletcher, is there a speed gun setup there?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Last year in St Anton i hit 68.75kmph on the speed run on my board... pretty quick but i know skiiers can go a lot quicker!!

What is everyone elses highest recorded speed?!

Earlier this year in Ste Foy I hit 77kph recorded on a Garmin Foretrex GPS, which I thought was quite quick for a 49 year old boarder, I then handed the GPS to a 13 year old skier who promptly raised the bar to 86kph!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iceman_louis said 68.75 KPH. Did you mean MPH or KPH? Where is this track?
A friend of mine tried the Les Arcs speed track on his ordinary skis (they let you on below the steep part after competitions) and he did 65 mph!!!!! (or so he claimed). Never tried, myself, and doubt if I will now.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 11-09-06 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, tough one.. depends on the skis or board.. but i'd edge it to skiers..
ive done a 73 when my mates on skis where doing 78, 82 etc one of the chaps did a 89 on the same run but he is huge and packs 195's ..
got a 80 plus on my new board last time out without really trying in ok conditions.. i reckon i could get into the mid to high 80's if the conditions where good.. i'd still favour the skier if ability and weight is matched but mot by much.. and of course they dont look anywhere near as good wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
for real loon speed (proper 150 kph stuff) . then skis every time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickski, looking at the speed world records, skiing 250KPH and snowboarding 200KPH I think the skier can achieve a more aerodynamic posture so less resistance.

My own speed record is 73 MPH recorded on a Garmin foretrex, not sure how accurate that is but it was v quick Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hit 90.5 Kph down the Hanegg schuss to the InnerWengen on (14m radius) skis, and I know there are people who do faster still.

I think the skier will have the edge cus drag in the air becomes a large factor at those speeds and a skiier can make him/herself very small easier then a boarder.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back in the early eighties on the KL track in Arcs 2000 had a run on Kastle National Team 210's managed 120,455 km/h. Tried the following day on real speed skis and reached 162,976 thus achieving goal of 100mph and instantly stopped as it was a fairly frightening experience !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done 90.75 on skis... but snowscreamer beat me on... blades!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill,

Speed gun at St. Anton is just out the back door of the Rendl gondola. It's a tiny little run and those speeds are in KPH. This is nothing like a proper speed run like Les Arcs. It's just a fun little slope with a gun to just give an idea of the speeds you get up to. Personally it let me know that I regularly ski blue runs at 70KPH and I reckon, when I'm feeling particularly bad, 100KPH (60+ mph) on reds and blacks, is quite common. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
To give everyone an idea top speeds in the World Cup are approx:-
SL 50kph
GS 80 kph
SG 110 kph
DH 140 kph
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Where does DAMMS fit into this descussion?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Probably the c in E=Mc2
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER,

A friend of mine in LDA (easiski - Paul from Smokey's) has an old VHS of him on a pair of Elan 228's. Not exceptional in itself, until he pulls a double heli. What's even better is the outtake, when he lands and does the 'Luc Alphand Trademark Splits'
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Where does DAMMS fit into this descussion?
DAMMS? What are (is) DAMMS? Am I being obtuse? and what has the speed of light got to do with it....The ultimate speed record? (in cm/sec no less)
snow report
snowball, They are a kind of crunchy caramel chocolate, often found in Ronald's sundae's and are also someone who moves faster than Jordan's knickers on either a pair of skis or a snowboard Little Angel
snow conditions
snowball, He's a guy who worked/works with us. 54kg 1m65cm approx, average speed 300kmph. I have a lasting impression of the shape of his back. As fast on a board as anyone i know on skis!
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, So how fast is your average punter ( I know Toofy Grin ) when we think we are going like the bat out out of hell .. meandering down blues/reds ... I have no idea no idea
snow report
eEvans, That will be relative to perception of speed-over-control. I wouldn't say much more than 25-30kms. Foxy's video would suggest around 15-20kms Twisted Evil
ski holidays
eEvans, Probably about 15 to 35 k's. A fast advanced skier will reach 50 to 60 on a well groomed run
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, It seems you know who Jordan is! Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Saw her on Top Gear for the first time the other night
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, So that means you know who Clarkson is! T Twisted Evil he world opens up, the sun comes out, flowers grow, lambs bleat!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and fish bubble, having said that, I may have seen her but I don't have a clue who she is or what she does ?
ski holidays
You too, there's a tiger behind you...
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I'll post in 'Back to the Future'
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, SMALLZOOKEEPER, How exciting ... so basically I'd be quicker gingerly working my day down on foot Embarassed The Shame ..(note to self - the posters above are blooming quick/expert-ish )
snow conditions
Speed skiing is the sport of skiing downhill in a straight line as fast as possible. It is the fastest non-motorized sport on earth, and the world's second fastest non-motorized sport. The current world record is 156 mph (251.4 km/h).

from wikepedia....

and
nowadays the speed record for snowboarders is set to some mediocre 201,907 km/h, run by Aussie Darren Powell in Les Arcs in 1999.
from here
http://www.bulgariaski.com/snowboarding.shtml
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
Nickski, and of course they dont look anywhere near as good wink

I don't quite get why people seem to think Boarders look so cool - I mean granted, when stood next to an old bloke in a luminous all in one ski suit of course they will - but the rest of the time I'm not so sure.

I think they look stupid trying to look "good" over being practical - and hey most ski stuff looks pretty good to me now. Boarders just annoy me the way they swoon about in baggy clothes like skateboarders . Plus WHY scrape all the snow off and make it a b**ch for everyone else!

ANyway - its good to see that the concensus and indeed facts show skiing as the faster sport - makes me yet more steadfast to stick with skiing! (Not to say I won't give snowboarding a go sometime)
latest report
eddyr, in my eyes your post screams to me ............avoid this skier at all costs.

us boarders probably think you look pretty naff trying to ski Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

why do you skiers have to start saying things like that in the first place????

we all use the mountain, we all dress how we like. I wear the biggest bagyest pants i can because they are more comfey. Now are you going to tell me that these skier women who wear these one peice or those tight salapets are comfey, i'm sorry but camel toes just dont make me think oh yeh i must go out and buy one of them. But if they want to wear it that is there look out. You should also realise that if it weren't for snowboarding then lots of skiing clothes would still be as naff as they were. You should be thankful for snowboarders style not dissin it. Very interesting how all ski freestyle stuff is just like snowboarding gear.

And as to the comment about snowboarders scraping all the snow away, the same could be said for the skiers making mougles out of every steep pieste, are they not able to go more than 5ft before putting a turn in????

all in all we ride what we love most to ride, and the various things that happen when you ride that is gonna happen, is that any reason to be prejudice towards them???

Now i get really p*ed off with snowboarders who have a 'skiest' attitude but when you hear things like that can you blame them???!!!

Live and let live, we all use the mountain.

As to who is fastest, do we really care????? my hubby is so fast he's like a fired bullet. My good buddy Bud Gallimore (snowboarding pro who lives here) is so fast he can probably do a run twice in the time it takes the average skier/boarder to do it once.

but ultimately what difference does it make to anything and who ultimately really cares NehNeh
snow report
snowangel., Your point about all in one suits was also mine - I never said they look good (quite the contrary)

ITs just whenever you see anything on TV or whatever you hear about how good snowboarders look - don't really get it to be honest.

Hey - I can't say I must like moguls either by the way!
snow report
eddyr, as it happens i love moguls just not on every decent steep bit of snow!

we just all need take a step back and not be so against one another!

spread the love man Cool Cool !!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Oh I'm not against them per se - just some Twisted Evil

We're all there for one reason aren't we, to have fun on the hill!
ski holidays
It's like asking the easy question, "what temperature does water boil at".

The guy in the street will probably reply 100 deg C.

A Chemist will probably say, well, it depends, on altitude, pressure, impurities etc.

"Which is faster, skier or snowboarder"?

Well. It depends.
ski holidays
snowangel., eddyr, Join together in a great big snow hug, but please bare the follow points in mind.

1): There is no excuse for wearing MC Hammer's pants on the snow - you deserve all the mirth you get.

2): What's are camel-toes? and have you got any pictures ?

3): I have always, and always will, Ski in the same outfit as the Milk Tray man...cool or what?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy