Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate skiers-Please Note.

Poster: A snowHead
I'll allow for £100 a week for Prem skis, I'll take them back and try others if it suits me. for this I expect a top ski in the best of nick and suited to the daily conditions...of course, it can snow over night and change your ski day etc but then whats to complain about...it''s almost like tempting fate..and I get a deep snow ski out....!!! Cool Cool

Now this will not work if you are too lazy to do this.... but I like looking around and I'm pretty quick and effiecent at it. Trawling around shops isn't a good idea in Chamonix tho' as there are too many of them....so pick the best....

The only compromise is the bindings but I'm not so picky here..as long as they work and pass my test, I'm happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its quite an interesting thread.
I am with the people who find buying cheaper than hiring. The other factor is that if you have kids you really don't have a lot of time on the first day of a holiday to find out the best skis to hire. You have to get their skis boots helmets etc, get lift passes, find out ski school meeting places, unpack, buy your food for the weekend, cook the first meal and then collapse with a gin 'cos you’ve been spending the last week desperately trying not to leave too many loose ends at work during the holiday season.

It is a bit of a departure though from what was often said 'All the gear and no idea'. I usually try and buy equipment in any sport that provides value and does not have features beyond those that I can use. If the experts here think that upping my equipment level will up my skiing ability though I am definitely willing to give it a try.
snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Last year I did both.

Economics wise - ski carriage plus ski rack on hire car plus servicing cost means that these days I doubt owning has much value, certainly not for short trips.

For Scotland I have to have my own skis, so that kind of makes it a non-decision.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, I haven't paid for ski carriage in years, or for a ski rack on a hire car!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, i agree with that!

Usually book early and fly cheaply on BA so no charge for carriage and we can usually cram the skis in the car with us and all our kit to get to resort. Rest of the week we leave one seat down and chuck the skis in the back......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like ski carriage is becoming more prevalent for UK based skiers though I have usually avoided it so far. I generally plan on staying slightly out of the resort or visit other resorts so I need a car to take my skis anyway. Certainly for me the economics are generally on the buying side though it may change, in Scotland it depends abit on what the advertised conditions are like as to whether I bring old skis or newer ones. The queues at Glencoe last year for the rental hut for my kids skis were shocking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
here you go then, classify me -

Haven't taken a lesson since I was 14, learned on dry slope at Gloucester.

Not keen on double black, but will give it a go - albeit agriculturally

Speed is good - try a Yamaha R1 turbo if you dare!!!!

Spend most of my time upside down off of pipe

Ski every fortnight on dry, 3 x a year on snow

A
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adam_button, and what age/weight/height are you now?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
31, 6ft 3" and 14st

I ski on:

Dynie Troublemakers, set dead centre Razz
Vokl Dogens, again dead centre Crying or Very sad

And

K2 PE set +4 Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

A
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think some posters are missing the point here:
1. Skis are bought because they are precious and we wants them snowHead
2. Ski-ing from one restaurant to the next is an entirely respectable way to spend a holiday snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
Its quite an interesting thread.
I am with the people who find buying cheaper than hiring. The other factor is that if you have kids you really don't have a lot of time on the first day of a holiday to find out the best skis to hire. You have to get their skis boots helmets etc, get lift passes, find out ski school meeting places, unpack, buy your food for the weekend, cook the first meal and then collapse with a gin 'cos you’ve been spending the last week desperately trying not to leave too many loose ends at work during the holiday season.

You want to try a chalet holiday... let them book the ski school, organise lift passes, do all the shopping, all the cooking & all the other chores. Leaving you to calmly sort out the kids skis. The only thing you'll have to worry about is which piste to ski...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor,
I could but wont rant about chalets, on the whole I think they are often a great idea but for various reasons not least price during school holidays they are not suitable for us as a family.
Apart from the first day I find self catering relaxing. With tour operator chalets I frequently remember arriving in resort well after the shops had closed so no real improvement there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, Fine if the chalet is owner operated and not one of the big TOs - not a good idea to rent through the biggies though for reasons already discussed many times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, T Bar, just spamming Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
flicksta wrote:
Skis are essentially a bad investment for the holiday skier or punter (a group in which I am included). Whilst I ski 3-4 weeks a year, at the top end of punter skiing but the low-middle end of proper skiing, skis are still a bad return.

I disagree. Provided you buy and sell them, they are a great investment. I am a holiday skiier too, and certainly my last 6 pairs of skis have saved me money over renting.

Just worked it out...
I've had my Head skis for 5 weeks of skiing. If I don't sell them, that means right now they have cost me £34 per ski week.
My Pistols work out at £57 per ski week
My PEs have only done 1 week, so have cost about £250 per week! Shocked

By the end of next season, I expect my Heads to have cost under £20 a week, and the Pistols around £40.

I may well change the Heads for the following season, which means I'll sell them, and use the cash to go towards buying the next pair. (that's how I did it the last time)

I've yet to see anywhere offering me a 1 week rental for £20.

My skis total £1150. I've skied 5 weeks since I bought the current two pairs. That's no great investment and to get them down to £20 per week I need to ski a total of 58 weeks, which will take me a further 12 years. Out of my timescale I'm afraid. You must be skiing a lot more than me to make those numbers work. They will be replaced next season. Still, it's not about that.
ski holidays
£1150? Shocked My current 3 pairs cost me <£1000, and then I had a pair I sold, so the current 3 pairs actual cost was £800.
Did you have skis before them? What did you do with the old ones? What are you planning to do with these ones when you change?

I try to get in at least 4 weeks a year. I work out the weekly rate based on whether I take the skis with me on a trip or not, because I may well switch skis at lunch time, depending on conditions, etc. So if you've taken two pairs on 5 weeks of trips, that 10 ski weeks to me.
latest report
I've had a few pairs before that as well, the most recent being pair of K2 Enemy's (the original red ones) in a 183cm that cost $200 (canadian) plus bindings, so approx £100 in total. Then a pair of Salomon Crossmax8 that cost $100 canadian and I stuck the same bindings on. Total cost £40. Both pairs brand new, turkey sale deals bought by a friend living in Whistler. Sold them on ebay for combined £250. Taking into account the 8 weeks or so on those, total cost is about a grand, with ten weeks skied (on the harsh count) so £100 a week. Well worth it b ythat reckoning, due to the two cheap deals.

Still, it's not what I buy them for.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a pair of Rossi Axium 170's that I skied for a season (3 years ago) before being seduced by the B2's. I thought I'd keep them as 'spares' or to lend to boyfriends of 3 female Axsettes if required.

I see now that I will never ski them again, and current crop of boyfriends are snowboarders. If I were to advertise them on ebay any ideas on what I should ask? I kinda feel that less than £75 is not worth the hassle, but much more than that is unrealistic?
ski holidays
AxsMan, ask for £150... Take what they'll offer.
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
I have a pair of Rossi Axium 170's that I skied for a season (3 years ago) before being seduced by the B2's. I thought I'd keep them as 'spares' or to lend to boyfriends of 3 female Axsettes if required.

I see now that I will never ski them again, and current crop of boyfriends are snowboarders. If I were to advertise them on ebay any ideas on what I should ask? I kinda feel that less than £75 is not worth the hassle, but much more than that is unrealistic?

I ebayed both pairs of mine with no reserve. One went for £80 (183cm twintips, you need to be good or big or both to ski them) and the other for £170 (170cm piste skis, anyone could use them realistically). As long as you ask the buyer to pay for postage, just let the market determine it. Just bear in mind, the market for skis in August won't be strong. Try December.
snow report
Now I'm living in Switzerland I've decided that buying skis makes sense. I got a pair of 2006 161cm Völkl Allstars for Euro 320 from eBay Germany for the girlfriend and I'm now looking for 168cm for myself. Considering how much we spent on rental skis last season, the eBay prices are a bargain.

And following up on SZK comments on going for the 'advanced' and 'expert' skis, I have to agreee. I've only been skiing for 1 week a year for 4 seasons and stepped up to 2 weeks this year, so I'd say I'm an intermediate at best. When we were in Whistler this year, I wanted to test the Völkl Allstar, but was genuinely scared that it would be way too much ski for my ability. All I can say is, wow! I've never had such a big smile on my face after blasting down the piste at my fastest ever speed (while hopefully doing some approximation of carving)!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, flicksta, Thanks guys. Will give it a go in December and see what happens. (like I said, I'd be happy with £75, the skis are doing me any good standing in the bedroom!).
latest report
What a load of condescending advice.
At 40+ I'm quite happy at intermediate. I consider I ski reasonably well, but don't want to throw myself of the sides of mountains. As a beginner I started off with atomic c9s and last season I bought a pair of rossi b1s, which you can all poo-poo, BUT they've given me a lot of confidence and I can now ski any hard packed red run that I choose. They feel very stable. I've also managed to pick up a lot more speed. As for lessons, I've had 8 weeks worth (mostly private). Some of you need to realise that when you start to ski later in life, it isn't quite so easy. If you think my skis are rubbish, please say so - and suggest a pair that will be better.
The only thing I struggle with at the moment is when it snows and I can't see. Plus - the off piste thing - it seems to me that it is a lot of hard practice and I keep hurting myself!!!
snow conditions
erica2004, B1's are nice skis. I used to have a pair of the old bandit x that were great on most runs.

For off piste though, fatter means easier.
ski holidays
erica2004, The B1 is a pretty beefy piste ski! Nice one. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

Some of you need to realise that when you start to ski later in life, it isn't quite so easy. If you think my skis are rubbish, please say so - and suggest a pair that will be better.

It doesnt matter what others think of your skis - if you are happy on them that's good. There are plenty of people who still ski on the old skinny skis because they are comfortable with them.

If you are intermediate standard, so what, if you enjoy your skiing that's all that matters.

I own my own skis, not to save money but just because I want to ski on the same ski each season, and I can take them out and look at them during the summer Toofy Grin

snowHead
snow conditions
Sage wrote:
I own my own skis, not to save money but just because I want to ski on the same ski each season, and I can take them out and look at them during the summer.

Give that man a cigar! snowHead
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
Sage wrote:
I own my own skis, not to save money but just because I want to ski on the same ski each season, and I can take them out and look at them during the summer.

Give that man a cigar! snowHead
Did that today as well - is it nearly winter yet? Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've put pictures of mine and HappyMouffe's skis on Flickr so we can look at them whenever we want... thing is, in most company that would be considered a bit abnormal, on snowHeads I can imagine several people going "Hey, that's a good idea"...
ski holidays
Hoppo, Laughing Laughing
Oh dear I think your right Shocked
latest report
Got to see there are Pro's and Cons for both.
I bought a pair of Fischers at end of season sale for £150 used them 8 times myself and lent them to a friend for a coupple of weeks - so no doubt they've been worth having.

Last year decided it was time to treat myself to a new pair but on the advise of everyone here, I had a week of trying different skis - Decided I liked the Nordica Hot Rods but haven't been able to find them anywhere to buy.

Thinking this year I'll try some others and Possibly buy.

Onwing Skis:
Pro's:
No messing around on the day you arrive, sneak the last couple of hours in if poss, the same for the last day - depending on flight times.
Only been skiied on a few weeks.
Seeng them sat in my office, makes me smile Smile

Cons:
Carrying them around along with boot bag, case rucksack etc (not to mention if you've got kids too).
Cost of Carrage & Maintenance
seeing them sat in my office - makes me wish I was skiing Sad

Hiring Skis:
Pro's:
Test lots of different ones
Can change depending on conditions
Latest Models
No carrying them at the airport

Cons:
Time taken to change every day or couple of days eats into Apres Ski time.
Quality of the skii depends on the time of season you go.

It's an individual choice, I think cost evens itself out for me as a Once or Twice a year skier.
ski holidays
AxsMan, I too demo'd the B2 after only 4 days sking. They just worked for me so well that later in the year I bought a pair in the summer sale. I found them a fantastic ski for learning on, they let me work at the techniques and enabled me to venture off piste, play in the parks etc. Gave me enough confidence to get into the blacks in my second week so something was working. I am still a hell of a long way from outgrowing them, I reckon that I would really need to be driving into the corners before I felt that I was in need of another ski.
I am fairly light though so do not find them to soft.

Oh - and I service them myself so I can always touch them up during a hol - hire skis are often not the sharpest.
snow report
But this year I had a go on a pair of slalom race skis, WOW!!! What a different feel, the turn radius was amazing (12). On the early morning icy pistes they flew, but I would have hated to have had to use them in April afternoon slush. Straight back on my old comfy B2s but with a tendency to lean a bit more and drive though the corners Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Scarpa, Yes I demoed a pair of slalom race skis at Alpe D'huez for a morning. Couldn't get on with them at all after my B2's so swapped back at lunchtime. Fancy trying some B3's next to feel the difference, and maybe some other 'fatties' as I don't think I'll ever be a race skier!
snow report
Scarpa, You had Hannah's (junior) skis I tink!

AxsMan, That explains it - slalom skis after B2s - no wonder you had a problem. GS would have been better, but you definitely "jumped" several levels on that occasion!!!
ski holidays
I would quite like a reliable, tough, all mountain ski that can put up with abuse from my 100kg body......

Does anyone have any reliable information who manufactures the Swedish, Norwegian, Russian, Swiss, and the UK military services skis? I would guess they would be pretty good bits of kit?

Yes, not the lightest, or prettiest, but probably among the best General Purpose skis in the world?

Comments, flames INFO!
latest report
Bryan, have you ever seen those things close up? i've seen what the French army use and they must be hard wearing because they look about 20 years old (or at least are built according to 20 year-old designs). And fitted with non-releasable Silvretta touring bindings. I'd avoid them if I were you
latest report
easiski, Ah (my) ignorance was bliss Very Happy (Actually it wasn't - they felt awful. I'm going to Cas on Saturday, could you suggest a ski for me to demo that would be less of a leap - happy to try anything ! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, Yup - very quick turning they were too. Great fun though (apart from the bruised bum).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy