Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In-door snow slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried indoor skiing at Xscape? (Milton Keynes/Leeds/Breahead)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oldsnowie, Try here for a start

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15796
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oldsnowie, I was in MK on Thursday for a couple of hours and had a good time snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linds, does that mean you are a good-time girl? Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moved to The Piste from Suggestions. Little Angel
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Forgot to tell you all. At the Cas meet we brought along a friend who had not skied for 17 yrs. This morning she has the entire family at Cas doing theier first ever lessons, and 2nd lessons this afternoon. Just rang them and they are having a brill time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Braehead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Forgot to tell you all. At the Cas meet we brought along a friend who had not skied for 17 yrs. This morning she has the entire family at Cas doing theier first ever lessons, and 2nd lessons this afternoon. Just rang them and they are having a brill time.

I hope you're on comission then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, great news. Are they all joining snowheads?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, There's us thinking she were one of your many concubines . . . you being the Lord of the Lard and all that,. Next time are you bringing the Suet Virgins from the Temple of Rendering? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Ya cheeky B. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oldsnowie, I've been to Milton Keynes, Castleford and Tamworth. Tamworth is the oldest of the three, and the building is starting to look a little tired, the run is the shortest, but it seems slightly longer because there's a bend in the middle. MK and Castleford are pretty similar - I think Castleford is a little longer. The rental gear at all of them is quite basic. If you've never been to one before, then you spend an awful lot of time travelling up the slope - one run down takes about 20seconds! I find it a pleasant thing to do in the summer when the prospect of real ski-ing is far away. Also worth going if you want to try something new, snowboarding for example, or as preparation for your first ever trip on the slope.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've only been to MK just before my first trip of a season. It's OK to get a bit of 'feel' back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oldsnowie, I went to Braehead in July for a few hours in the afternoon. Only one slope (apart from the beginners "slope"), so not much choice. By the time, you get up some speed, do a few turns, its all over (bit like sex really!!). Apart from that, its not too bad. I did like and would probably go back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tried MK and found it too short. Breahead was good on Thursdays as the slope was almost empty but it's getting crowded. This week someone switched the fridge off and half of the top slope was closed and with a bigger crowd it wasn't much fun. But I guess its better than a dry slope.

At least when I get onto the real stuff again this year I'll be fitter and better prepared. snowHead

I'm about at the stage when I want to try freestyle so may have a lesson when its not so crowded.
snow report
Moan Moan...

Given the extortionate cost (£31 for two hours) – you’d think they’d put some snow on the poma run – I’m forever dragging my skis as they catch on the carpet. Does this happen at the other centres or is it just Breahead? Evil or Very Mad
snow report
oldsnowie, It happens all the time at castleford.

add to that the 'bonus' of frequent lift stops and it can make a visit quite frustrating.

Bonus at castleford is you can trial ski's from Ellis brigham if you ask nicely and show interest in the shop. saves b#ggering your own skis and loads better than rental. wink
ski holidays
Odin, - great tip, Ill try it next week. snowHead

I think a 'crumpy' customer email to Mnsr Pye is in order, I'm going to try and find out his direct email address and contact their PR team for a response - if you pay good money, you desrve good service and I reckon its pretty shoddy.
ski holidays
Skied Braehead three times - OK but avoid Fri evenings unless you are interested in freestyle. Had a fight with the management that night as half way through my hour they decided everybody on the slope had to go off and put on a helmet even if they weren't doing jumps (me).

I argued that you pay enough for an hour without having to spend 10 mins going off and putting a helmet on - they saw my point of view and gave me £10 worth of vouchers as compensation. Twisted Evil

Oldsnowie - I agree with you about the snow on the pomma, it's never been good any time I have been there.
ski holidays
oldsnowie,
Quote:

Had a fight with the management that night as half way through my hour they decided everybody on the slope had to go off and put on a helmet even if they weren't doing jumps (me).

that's terrible ! Although wearing a helmet is a good idea, i would not agree with making everyone wear helmets which were not their own and thus didn't fit properly. Ill fitting helmets could cause more of an injury in a fall that not wearing one.

Most people who do jumps etc. have already purchased a helmet, so its not a problem for them.

I think it ok for the slope to reccomend you wear a helmet, but not to enforce it - its your head, its your choice. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Part of my complaint was that nobody told me before I went on (nor was it mentioned on their web site that I booked through).

As well as using my paid for time what really annoyed me was that I had a helmet at home (which I wear on the mountain) that I could have brought with me. I think someone just made a snap decision, because it was getting busy, that everybody had to wear helmets even if they weren't doing jumps.

So I ended up wearing a smelly helmet that umpteen other people had worn that day. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Better a smelly helmet than brain damage,paralysis,and drinking your food through a straw.

Sorry to sound a bit 'schoolteacher' but it's happened to a few really good boarders.
Any suggestion regarding your safety should be viewed as a positive,and yes I know that some people go over the top but you should really take your own well fitting helmet as a basic requirement.
If you have to use someone else's then don't do jumps. Toofy Grin
If you have to wear someone else's then dont ride.
snow conditions
Sage wrote:
.................I think someone just made a snap decision, because it was getting busy, that everybody had to wear helmets even if they weren't doing jumps............

Xscape have always had a policy that a helmet must be worn when doing jumps & the park apparatus etc - however I never seen any signage stating that or anything on their website.
ski holidays
paulm wrote:

If you have to use someone else's then dont do jumps. Toofy Grin
If you have to wear someone else's then don't ride.

I was skiing and was not, and had no intention of doing jumps (bit too old for that). There was no problem the first half hour on the slope until the management changed the rules.

I agree with helmet use (better watch not to turn this into another helmet good/bad thread) but not for sking down a 200 m indoor slope.

Anyway, I will not be going back on a Friday night.
snow conditions
Sage, Odin, spyderjon, Believe it or not I've had a reply from their PR team:

"Many thanks for your comments. I will pass these onto head office. I am sure they will be grateful for this information and take action accordingly. Thank you both for using our slope and recommending it to your friends.
Kind regards,
Ali O’Neale."

So if anyone else wants to complain (and remember its your money) the email addresses are:

PY.Gerbeau@xscape.co.uk; taniaberry@btinternet.com; Elena.kale@xscape.co.uk; Ali@cloudline.co.uk; Fran.Montgomery@x-leisure.co.uk; michelle.whitelaw@xscape.co.uk

I'm going again on Thursday next week - soon see if they take any notice rolling eyes snowHead

O! and I agree you should wear a helmet for freestyle - but you shouldn't be forced to wear one when you are not taking part. Next they'll ban smoking!!!!
latest report
Sage,
Quote:

I was skiing and was not, and had no intention of doing jumps (bit too old for that). There was no problem the first half hour on the slope until the management changed the rules.

Sorry mate did not realise,lost in my own little boarding world.

Mind you,if you ever get the chance to see me ski you would wear a helmet whilst spectating. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
paulm wrote:
Sage,
Quote:

Sorry mate did not realise,lost in my own little boarding world.

Mind you,if you ever get the chance to see me ski you would wear a helmet whilst spectating. Toofy Grin

No probs mate - I think they were worried someone would come over a jump and land on some unsuspecting skier like me.

There were lots of boarders landing on every part of their bodies except their feet. Shocked
latest report
Yeh,done that,infact...still doin' that. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="spyderjon"Xscape have always had a policy that a helmet must be worn when doing jumps & the park apparatus etc - however I never seen any signage stating that or anything on their website.[/quote]

They are there at Cas, both on the door as you go in and at the bottom of the lifts.
latest report
T-Dub, Embarassed Mind you I can't ski wearing my reading specs wink
snow conditions
Read the CEO's response. Now it may just be me but I thought the whole point of xscape was that you ski on snow!

A reply from PY Gereau:

Thank you for having taken the time to contact me personally and for your loyalty towards our great snow destinations.

I have read with attention your concerns regarding the lift tracks of our Breahead snow slope. The tracks are made from Snowflex, which is meant to be kept moist at the surface, but free from too much snow which would result in stopping the lift. For the comfort of our customers, we have slope patrols shoveling snow onto the lift track, should it becomes slightly sticky, especially at peak times under heavy use.Following your comments i've ask the team in Glasgow, and especially, our Slope Manager to monitor the situation very closely, please do not hesitate to ask for one of our slope patrols should you require assistance upon a next visit.

The snow maintenance of an indoor slope lift is on certain aspects different from an outdoor resort, and this is the reason why you will notice some slight differences in your sensations. I really regret any inconvenience this may have caused. We arededicated to ensuring all our operators adopt a positive and proactive attitude, and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you again on the slopes in the near future.
snow report
oldsnowie, How the hell is Snowflex at -2 or less meant to be kept "moist" and are they confirming that their 'snow' has more drag than plastic? We need more info. Twisted Evil
snow report
oldsnowie, Of the three I think Braehead does the best at keeping the lift track covered.
snow conditions
Masque, - I've replied to ask just the same question, I can understand having snowflex in case they run out of snow but surely the point is cover it with snow - anyway I'll post his reply next week Confused

rjs, I never had the same problem at MK, its a shame because apart from the track its not too bad and the staff are a good bunch snowHead
snow conditions
oldsnowie, The lift tracks at Castleford were always snow covered until some time last year when they began to leave them as bare snowflex.

The reason given was that their insurers had insisted on this on H&S grounds as beginner level skiers & boarders who fall on the lift effectively stop on the snowflex bristles, with the lifties immediately stopping the lift. When the track was snow covered, although the lift had been stopped, fallers could (& did) slide down the track & take out the person on the poma below.
snow report
spyderjon, good point, but I've seen a number of skiers come off the lift as one ski sticks to the dry carpet while the other carries on - and they end up twisting something and as Masque said (above) how do you keep the snoflex wet at -2c?

will the insurers ban the skiing incase people bump into one another on the slope? Puzzled

I guess the trick is to kee a light covering of snow on the whole track
ski holidays
I think the insurers should be more bothered abouts Castleford's 'common practice' of only running one lift instead of two even when busy which results in people queuing across the bottom of the piste. I've seen quite a few collisions there and was once personally wiped out by a very attractive yound damsel who was still mastering the art of stopping.

snowHead
snow report
Odin wrote:
I think the insurers should be more bothered abouts Castleford's 'common practice' of only running one lift instead of two even when busy which results in people queuing across the bottom of the piste. I've seen quite a few collisions there and was once personally wiped out by a very attractive yound damsel who was still mastering the art of stopping.

snowHead

I've seen this happening at Braehead too. I was quite surprised due to the potentially high risk of an accident happening. At our dry slope which is a good bit shorter (and slower) they are very careful not to have queues at the bottom.
latest report
Just reading this thread, and a thought occurred. I'm going to Cas next Saturday (9th) for the Ellis Brigham ski test so miss Axs can demo a few skis for her Christmas present. This will be the first time I've skied indoors since I bought my own ski's a couple of seasons ago. Are they likely to be damaged by the slope/lifts etc and so should I use the rental ones? I wouldn't like my nice shiny B2's to get all chewed up by metal steps etc Shocked Shocked (will probably demo a few pairs myself so may not be an issue anyway)
latest report
AxsMan, I tend not to take my own skis to Brahead, but that's just down to not being bothered lugging them about along with all the rest of my gear.

I don't know if the dry carpet under the tow would damage your skis, I've read elsewhere that other snowheads wouldn't use their own skis on these slopes - not sure the exact reasons.

Anyway, if there are lots of nice new skis to demo why take your own. Laughing

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy