Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Demo skis How useful and for how long should the demo be?

Poster: A snowHead
veeeight wrote:
3. There are many many many variables to consider before jumping on the balancer. Ramp angle, forward lead, spoilers, boot
boards, hell lifts, personal physiology etc. I firmly believe you need to fix these issues *first* before the balancer....

Totally agree. I experienced a huge improvement after having been properly 'aligned'. I then went on the Campbell Balancer & then felt a slight improvement as I only had to move my B5's bindings forward by 1cm. Interestingly to achieve the same Campbell measurement on my Suger Daddy's I had to move the bindings back 1.5cm.

Re your comments re the affects of differing sidecut profiles etc on the Campbell balance. There's some interesting stuff in the Lou Rosenfeld link above. Whilst these do have an affect Lou feels that the difference it makes is so small than to not be a concern in that he can balance people to within a cm of their true balance point which 'feels' neutral to the skier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-08-06 10:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, Wear The Fox Hat,

The last time I saw you both ski...fleetingly but on undemanding terrain... in April and Oct respectively, you could both use a better position over the skis. Varying degrees of the back seat driving. If you want to ramp up the bindings, move them forward or whatever, you both need to work on getting centred to make any big strides.
I actually thought Spyder was heading in the right direction so might be prepared to say what gets you there, gets you there
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hatters, 1&2 are sometimes interchangable, for example if the lateral cant is so far out that they can't edge effectively. So we need to fix the boots furst before progress in technique.

spyderjon - Meh (regarding sidecuts etc.) I know I get more performance out of the ski at the focus of the parabola (which is back from the centre of the running surface near the manufactures mark) Very Happy

Here's something for you all to try.... When I get bored, I regularly step into my bindings backwards (ie; put my heel into the toepiece, and toe into the heelpiece). I then ski a variety of turn shapes, variety of turns (skid, carve etc.), ski forwards, ski switch etc. No, I don't do this with twin tips.

Interesting results! Your stance and balance has to be good to cope!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, yep you're right. My bindings have only moved a cm since you saw meet at PSB 05. However since then, & supporting V8's comments, I've had major changes to the forward lean & ramp angle on my boots which were set-up for the binding angle on my skis. I don't think I would have ever have been able to get in the correct position until those problems were corrected.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
.....I know I get more performance out of the ski at the focus of the parabola (which is back from the centre of the running surface near the manufactures mark)
That's probably your own personal balance point then wink.

veeeight wrote:
.......Here's something for you all to try.... When I get bored, I regularly step into my bindings backwards (ie; put my heel into the toepiece, and toe into the heelpiece). I then ski a variety of turn shapes, variety of turns (skid, carve etc.), ski forwards, ski switch etc. No, I don't do this with twin tips.

Mmmmm, sounds scarey Shocked. One to try at Xscape. I think I'll try that on the nursery slope first though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I think that there's a difference between you, and the average punter though. I'm sure that for you, as a professional skier, it makes a huge difference where your binding is mounted as to how the ski performs, due to you having almost perfect posture, however for me, an above average recreational skier, I don't see that there's much point in messing around with my bindings, when in actual fact, what I need to do is correct my posture to get better performance out of the ski - as pointed out by yourself in LDA earlier this year.

easiski wrote:
Forward Colin, forward, get your weight forward!

It would seem to me that for some people with less than perfect skiing posture, they're going to be moving their bindings forward to compensate for their bad posture, rather than correcting the basic underlying problem. I wonder whether the reason that the Campbell balancer makes most people move their bindings forward and only a few back is because the majority of people have a less than perfect posture, and ski a little too much "in the back seat", whereas much fewer ski with their weight properly forward as you teach. I'm sure that this probably improves performance, but I wonder whether for a lot of people it is merely papering over the cracks of their poor technique.

Wear The Fox Hat, my three would be

1. Technique
2. Technique
3. Technique

I think that video tape analysis is probably more of a fad and a selling point than an educational tool at our sort of level. Our mistakes are so gross that they can easily be sorted by coaching with specific exercises without needing the finer points of slow-mo analysis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
I think that video tape analysis is probably more of a fad and a selling point than an educational tool at our sort of level. Our mistakes are so gross that they can easily be sorted by coaching with specific exercises without needing the finer points of slow-mo analysis.

It's not just about slow-mo, but when was the last time you saw a properly shot video of yourself skiing? You may *think* you're doing something right, or wrong, but actually seeing yourself can help to reinforce the issue.

I can see where you are coming from on binding placement being used to correct bad alignment, but that is why I'd say get the alignment sorted before adjusting the bindings.

I disagree that you should just focus on technique, as you may be compensating for one problem by creating another, or worse still, end up working too hard to make simple movements.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By technique I mean coaching, one on one lessons with an instructor with customised exercises given to you to do which would hopefully stop the overcompensation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

With the majority of people, when asked to make a change, they achieve near 10% of that change. If I say "palce your elbows ahead of your chest", they raise their wrists 2 inches, and absolutely insist that they had their elbows ahead of their chest.

You always *think* you're exaggerating the intended movement, put simply, the camera never lies, and it helps overcome your disbelief that you're not doing what's asked of you!

I would say that video is a pretty valuable tool in the learning/instiruction/coaching process. And it can be a dangerous tool too in the wrong hands.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:

I have problems with my technique AND problems with self-perception of my skiing. These problems occasionally go hand-in-hand, and both need addressing. That's why I find video an invaluable tool alongside good coaching.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk,

I think revewing yourself skiing on video is a help. I visualise my stance on skis and then HATE the playback on video.
People have commented on my position over skis favourably but I hate it, so when I start every season, its always stance, stance and stance. So I am very aware of other peoples 'position' when I look around the hill.

Maybe I don't practice enough and will have to find time to rectify that
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do think there may be something in the article, however there's also something in (to a degree) alignment. I have a big problem with all this stuff because they tend to promise instantly good or better skiing.

If you've been majorly out of alignment for instance, you're in your 30s or 40s, then to get aligned to "straight" is positively dangerous IMO. You're changing which muscles work certain parts of your body, and risking other problems. eg: Tomasz Ondrusz's back problem which was entirely the result of his eliminating his rotation, which was due to having one leg 3" shorter than the other. I have consulted with top world biomechanists and physiologists about this, and they agree, that if alignment correction is not done early enough, and if it is more than a "gentle nudge" then it's a risk. Look at my feet!

Now a little correction to a neutral position (if necesary by many little increments) can be very helpful. Either way, nothing except working at technique is going to make you a good skier, and without good stance/body positioning you're never going to improve much. It's a common misconception among holiday skiers that if they have a problem on, say, red runs they need to fix it on red runs. NO! If there's a problem it's 99% likely to be a basic technique problem and you have to start fixing it by a) using easy/green runs, and b) by actually practising what you're taught in your lessons. So, there's no alternative to good technique, but you can help it along a little.

Having said all that, (and being in danger of agreeing with Veeight again I'd better shut up.

Wear The Fox Hat, How many times did you practise your exercises?? Not much I bet.... I didn't hear about it.

Also, we should not forget that most skiing clients are on rental equipment, and are unlikely to be set up even half correctly (judging by the majority of shops). Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, ahem "I disagree that you should just focus on technique, as you may be compensating for one problem by creating another, or worse still, end up working too hard to make simple movements." Who won the race?????
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going back to the golf analogy, there are plenty of pros who will say that you are better off spending £100 on lessons than £300 (say) on a new driver. Surely if your technique is good and you know what you are trying to achieve, you can get your skis to work even if the bindings are a bit too far forward or back?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, the person with the fastest aggregate time! In terms of learning to ski, are you saying to forget about boots and balance and just work on using your muscles to power through problems that could be fixed by someone with a bit of skill?
snow conditions
Arno, true, but what is good golf technique about? Surely it's about having balance and control of your body first, then the club, then the ball.

If you say technique is nothing to do with how you are set up, and your interface with the equipment, then if a golfer holds the driver half way down the shaft, do you congratulate him on perfect technique, or try to get his body more upright, his grip nearer the end of the shaft... and THEN work on the rest of the technique?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm saying that to race fast you need to have good technique, and good balance. Kramer, worked very hard on his body positioning when out in LDA last winter, and also practised his exercies so religiously that he was cheered from a chairlift - maybe that's why he won the race???? His body positioning was better, therefore he was better able to deal with ruts, mistakes, whatever occurred during the race. He was one of the few who was much faster on the second run .... OK, most of us expected either JT or DBiggins to win, but nevertheless it was not a total fluke. I don't think he's had enough credit for his win.
latest report
JT wrote:
spyderjon, Wear The Fox Hat,

The last time I saw you both ski...fleetingly but on undemanding terrain... in April and Oct respectively, you could both use a better position over the skis. Varying degrees of the back seat driving. If you want to ramp up the bindings, move them forward or whatever, you both need to work on getting centred to make any big strides.
I actually thought Spyder was heading in the right direction so might be prepared to say what gets you there, gets you there

I didn't actually want to say that myself ....
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, how you set up is very much part of technique in skiing and golf. your interface with your kit is a different thing. within reason (and we're really talking about a couple of centimetres on a ski which is about 170-180 cms long here) your interface with your kit is very much fine tuning compared with the fundamental requirement to be standing on your skis properly or set up to your shot properly IMO

edit: holding a club half way down the shaft is a technical thing; having a dodgy grip is a technical thing - these are matters which are in your physical control. i think the adjustments achieved by this campbell balancer thingy are more like changes in the size of a club's grip and stiffness and length of shaft. these things might make it a teensy bit easier to get the technical parts right, but they are by no means vital. can't help but think that the same applies (within reason) to where you mount your bindings

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-08-06 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
easiski wrote:
I didn't actually want to say that myself ....

I've never claimed to be a great skier, nor even a good one. In fact most people think I'm shit. It's good to see your agreement with them.
ski holidays
oooOOOOOooooo

OK Ladies: A few rules about men:

1. You can poke fun at a mans wife or gf
2. You can poke fun at the size of a mans w1lly
3. You can even make jokes about his car.

But never never never criticis(z)e their driving or skiing....... Laughing (that's below the belt) Laughing
snow conditions
veeeight, I don't think that was criticism, more a statement of belief.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I've never claimed to be a great skier, nor even a good one.

Um, shouldn't you be adding that as a caveat to all your skiing setup, technique, equipment, etc. advice Puzzled
ski holidays
brian, I thought it was fairly obvious!
latest report
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, ok, you need to spell it out for us thickies then Laughing
latest report
Many of my friends play golf, I don't, because the temptation of a sport where you can go out and spend £300 on a new club rather than practice more would be too much for me. I would be bankrupt within a year. Embarassed Very Happy

I was lucky in the race, and I certainly wouldn't count myself as the best skier at the EoSB, not even in the top five probably, however what made the difference between the first and second run for me was concentrating on the things that easiski had taught me in the lessons that I had with her earlier in the season. The first run I took it easy, the second I skied a far more aggressive line, and also a lot more smoothly, with far better edge control and my weight significantly further forward. It also helped as someone said that it was steeper at the start and then became flatter further on, which favours the fuller bodied skier, shall we say. Very Happy However lucky I was, I do believe that the second run was more representative of my true time than my first. That was my first time through gates in twenty years, and so my first run was skied with no small trepidation, the second with a bit more confidence. I knew that the second run was quicker whilst I was doing it, and this may surprise some people, I felt that I actually had more to give, if I'd had the chance to ski it again, mainly because I took some of the gates slightly wider than necessary. My surprise at winning wasn't so much that I'd done a quick time, but more that others (who I feel to be better skiers than me), hadn't gone quicker still, when I felt that it was possible to ski the course quicker still.

My point about the possibility of moving my bindings forward is that whilst it may have corrected the weight distribution on my skis, it would not have corrected the other problems with having a stance that is somewhat rearward, such as the instability that occurs when the ski hits some obstacle that throws it off line, and so to my eyes is an inperfect fix of the problem.

For me, the last couple of years, what's taken me forward in terms of my skiing has been the lessons that I've had, and not even particularly many at that. One three hour private lesson the season before last in St Anton, and two three hour lessons last season in LDA with Charlotte. veeeight makes a good point that although I thought that I was exaggerating the movements like Charlotte wanted, I wasn't, and hence she kept 'encouraging' me to do more even when I thought that she wasn't looking, however I believe that a talented (and assertive wink ) instructor overcomes this problem better than a video analysis.

All in all it seems to me that I agree with JT that most recreational skiers need to concentrate almost exclusively on improving their technique through coaching, I certainly think that the decision to start having a few more lessons is one of the best that I've made recently. As Charlotte also pointed out to me, at the intermediate level they don't even need to be that frequent as long as the correct problems are pointed out to you, and you're given the correct exercises to practice.
ski holidays
Oh and you practice the exercises as given to you as well! Fortunately the exercises that Charlotte gave me were suspiciously similar to 'showing off' and so very enjoyable to practice as well, and although satisfying when I got my round of applause from some strangers for doing them well, a lot of fun when I totally cocked them up and ended up doing unintentional 360s and off piste excursions. Laughing
latest report
JT wrote:
I think revewing yourself skiing on video is a help. I visualise my stance on skis and then HATE the playback on video.

There's always a big gap between what I think I'm doing and what I'm actually doing. veeeight's comment about his clients making 10% of the change they think they are making is a good description of me, unfortunately. I always find evening video feedback sessions to be very depressing. No matter how much I get told during the day by my instructor to do "more of ..." its only when I see it on video that I understand how little of ... I'm actually doing Sad That's why I tend not to worry too much about the skis I use, or how I demo potential purchases (to get back on topic!). The differences between skis within the same category are dwarfed by problems with my technique. It's pretty pointless worrying about the small differences between two different slalom skis when I'm not able to get either of them onto a decent edge angle! Fix the big things - the little things can wait until another life...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re, the race, I think most people could point at 3 or 4 mistakes that cost them time, I thought my speed over the ground was quicker second time round but that didn't show on the time, it was about a tenth slower... !!
Its all about a clean run, if you get one and make the fewest mistakes, or least costly mistakes, you are in with a chance.
Kramer's run was the fastest so he must have skied it well. The goal should be to get well within 3 seconds of the Euan.

I'm off to watch my video's and get depressed ....!!! and still 4-5 months to go to fix anything Mad
snow report
JT, I agree, what surprised me was that more people who I considered to be better skiers than me (yourself included) hadn't made less mistakes than I did on the second run if you get what I mean. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kramer,

We were trying to make less mistakes for sure!! Laughing

Can't remember a thing about the 1st run except I got a good-ish start and a few shocks on the way down...my only thought was a tuck ASAP. Certainly THOUGHT I could do better. I remember Dave B looking good all the way down.

This is what I remember for the second run, poor out of the start, skiddy 1st gate turn, another turn half way down not so good and getting thrown off over the little hump at the bottom by which time my time was probably shafted. I do remember whizzing over the line so I thought my time over the ground was good. It would be interesting to see it videoed and a pro tell you what time went where and then pay more attention to what Euan did to post 34 plus secs
ski holidays
I remember having a laugh. Maybe that's where I went wrong!
ski holidays
To bring the discussion back to equipment, I did the race on a pair of B3's, a ski that one rarely sees on the race circuit. ( I think several other people had off-piste skis as well) Could I have managed a better time with a pair of racing skis? Possibly, but I suspect that any any slight advantage that a faster ski might have given me would have been cancelled out by large errors in my technique.

If I were ever to get to the point where I could ski a perfect line every time, then it might be time to start thinking about the finer details of edge angles, binding position, etc. to squeeze out that extra bit of performance. However that day is a long way off, and for now I'm much better off working on improving my technique than thinking about the technical specifications of the hardware under my feet.
latest report
johno,

As I remember we were being dragged straight off by Snowcazy - nearly didn't have time to do the race - and it was a pretty fun day in good snow. Thought you skied those B3's well and I don't think anyone changed their skis especially for the race..!! Chris was on Sugardaddies...
snow conditions
johno wrote:
To bring the discussion back to equipment, I did the race on a pair of B3's, a ski that one rarely sees on the race circuit. ( I think several other people had off-piste skis as well) Could I have managed a better time with a pair of racing skis?

Don't forget Kramer won on a pair of Rossi B2's, no race ski advantage there.

Quote:
Possibly, but I suspect that any any slight advantage that a faster ski might have given me would have been cancelled out by large errors in my technique.

If I were ever to get to the point where I could ski a perfect line every time, then it might be time to start thinking about the finer details of edge angles, binding position, etc. to squeeze out that extra bit of performance. However that day is a long way off, and for now I'm much better off working on improving my technique than thinking about the technical specifications of the hardware under my feet.

Technique first for me as well, I know I could have gone quicker given another run, better technique, faster skis, tighter boots, lycra skisuit.......
snow conditions
There was one person who swapped to race skis for the event, but I shan't name him. Very Happy
latest report
FenlandSkier, I think that the lardy boys should have our own lycra suits in lardy racer colours.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
FenlandSkier, I think that the lardy boys should have our own lycra suits in lardy racer colours.

Laughing What we need is some teamwear.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Lord Whitenoise did it on pocket rockets! One of the Q boys was deffo on park skis .....

The point is that, yes it was for fun, but it was a race at the end of the day. A race where no-one is trying to win is no fun at all! As with the world cup - good technique wins every time. Take a bow Mr. Raich! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy