Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots similar to my old boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I used to ski a lot back in the late 90's / early 2000's and still have my boots from then, they fit perfectly but are knackered. I had a 20 year hiatus from skiing and then started again with the kids a couple of years ago. I have used rental boots since returning and struggle to get boots to work how I want them to without making my feet numb.

My old boots are Lange AC9 ACD Medium fit, the last says 9-9.5 and the sole length is 316mm, there is no mondo point marked on them. I can't find any info on the web.

316mm seems to correspond to mondo 27.5, and I guess medium fit would be a 100mm last?

I am looking to replace them with something similar but more piste orientated (I used them for park predominantly). I'm 80kg and tend towards fast carved turns on stiff short radius skis.

Last year I rented Lange RX 120 in 275 and they seemed a bit sloppy / soft, ended up with them in 270 which behaved more how I wanted them to but my feet were numb after a couple of hours.

I guess that the boots made for rental are probably inferior quality than the retail ones? Would they also be softer and come up bigger due to being used by different feet?

If the above are true then I would imagine that RX 120 or 130 in 27.5, 100mm last should fit the bill ?

I live in rural Dorset and don't want to buy them in resort

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
27.0 is a 27.5 so not sure why they felt different.
The newest model from Lange is the Shadow, a 130 mv would seem to fit the bill but all brands now have a mv model at 100mm in all their lineups.
As usual "go see a bootfitter" is the best advice you'll get....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I remember when I bought those boots from Snow and Rock and went skiing for a couple of weeks, I came back and both my big toe nails fell off. They had a fit guarantee, and just changed the liners rather than the actual boots and all was well... so I guess they have different liners to make the half sizes?

I don't honestly know, I took a photo of the ones that made my feet numb and they were Lange RX RTL Pro 270, 316, 100

There are sone ex display Lange RX 130, 285, 100 on ebay which is what prompted me to ask the questions... but I suspect they will be too big.

Yes, boot fitter is definitely the way to go, but was thinking of taking a punt on some cheap boots as I will struggle to get to a fitter and always like a bargain!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The rental boots that felt sloppy may have been 28.0...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the very least measure your feet before buying anything.

A basic guide is here https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/alpine/alpine-advice/how-choose-ski-boots

Rental ski boots are typically going to be a ‘one size fits all’ solution so softer than a performance boot and with a wide last size so they’ll even fit people with wide feet. This often leads to people with narrower feet tightening up the buckles over the feet to compensate which can cut off the blood flow from the vein that runs there leading to numb feet.

The best advice is to see a boot fitter as buying ‘blind’ is unlikely to lead to a good result but at the very least measure your feet so you have some idea what might work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I was hoping that if I bought newer boots from Lange in exactly the same size then they would fit my feet similarly well to my old boots which fit like old gloves but are knackered and also too soft for the piste skiing that now do.

I vaguely remember that the old Lange boots came up slightly narrower than many of the others available, and they are "medium fit", was wondering if anyone remembered what last measurement Lange boots medium fit of this era corresponded to / if Lange have changed over the years.

My naked feet are L 272mm x 100mm, R 266mm x101mm, but in my experience no two companies measurements ever tally and so thought that using my old boots as a guide would be a better bet.

At some point I will make my way up to Bicester, but in the mean time thought some online discounted boots would be a better bet than rentals that seem to be invariably crap.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK. So definitely nothing larger than a medium last width, typically in the range 99 - 101mm.

The most likely reason your previous boots killed your toenails are that they were probably too large for you so your foot was slipping inside and banging your toes. Not because they were too short.

Things to consider are:

- The Ski boot last width is based on a 26/26.5 ski boot. As the boot gets longer the width size also get wider by around 2mm per step in size.
- The measure you have is typically taken with the foot pronated ( thus flattened). With an arch support or footbed it could be a couple of mm less wide.
- You might think I have a 272mm foot so I need a 275mm ski boot. It's never that easy. The ski boot sizing guidelines are for a relaxed / comfort fit so for someone who likes making fast carved turns on stiff skis it wouldn't be unusual to go a size smaller. i.e. a 26/26.5 boot.

These are all things an experienced boot fitter will sort out for. From what little we know I suspect a 26/26.5 boot is likely to be the right size but I couldn't even start to say which ones would be a good fit. Although if you liked the Langes then that wouldn't be a bad starting point to try on.

Or you could just buy some 27.5s though I suspect they'll be too large and you'll lose your toenails again.

Quote:

At some point I will make my way up to Bicester, but in the mean time thought some online discounted boots would be a better bet than rentals that seem to be invariably crap.

If this is a just a short term solution until you get to Bicester, then maybe try to get to a local boot shop and try some on or do a shell check if you buy online and see how much space there is behind your heel. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131240 .That at least will give you a clue to the fit before you ski in them.

PS. This quote from Colin (CEM) on that thread is interesting and might be relevant. It suggests that current ski boot sizing is more relaxed in length than it used to be so your old 27.5 boots might well be more like a 26.5 nowadays.

Quote:

having worked in this industry for 30+ years now i have seen a definite "lengthening" in sizes, back in the late 80's if you measured 26.5 and put your foot into a 26.5 shell you had 15mm of space, now the same foot in a modern 26.5 can have 20-25mm of space

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-09-24 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jmsgld, only 2 things to say here:

1. Go to a good boot fitter
2. Don't go to Snow and Rock.

Personally i'd say take a trip up to Bicester to see @CEM or one of his colleagues, if they have space for an appointment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that explanation olderscot, much appreciated, I have a much better grasp of all at play, and why it is so important to go see a decent fitter. Interesting that boots have grown over the years.

This season we only have 8 days skiing planned, so may just buy a couple of pairs of discounted Lange boots from Sportpursuit and keep the better fitting pair before finding time to get up to CEM.

I am not doing enough skiing atm to need perfect boots but getting something better than rentals would be good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This sounds like having had a Ford Cortina and going buying a new Focus expecting it to be similar. Make sure you at least know about shell fit etc before buying.
I'd second CEM, both myself and mrs endo have boots from there, a 4 hour round trip, well worth it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know everyone says go to a bootfitter, and I agree that's the best solution if you ski a lot, are close enough etc. But for some folks that may not be possible for a variety of reasons so, just as some encouragement, I've bought boots for myself, my partner and kids on line as we were in a similar situation to you. I made sure I measured the foot properly, did the instep thing to work out if it was getting into a HV shell territory and did a bit of research on different boot fits, narrow in the cuff etc. They all fit really well and are hugely more comfortable and snug than rental boots.

Again, I'm not saying you don't need a bootfitter. I'm just saying until you do, or you can, you can probably, as you suspect, get a much better fit than rentals at a low cost if you do a bit of research. YMMV, obviously.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jmsgld wrote:

I vaguely remember that the old Lange boots came up slightly narrower than many of the others available, and they are "medium fit", was wondering if anyone remembered what last measurement Lange boots medium fit of this era corresponded to / if Lange have changed over the years.

My wife has narrow feet and has had several Lange boots from 25 years back. I’d guess they may have been a 98mm last.

Nowadays 98mm is typically classed as low volume (narrow), 100mm is mid volume and 102mm is high volume (wide).

There is more to it than width (arch for example) and I know from experience that you put some boots on and they immediately feel totally wrong. Another boot same last (100mm for me) can feel great.

So it’s a very risky business buying without trying but if I was to guess based on what you’ve said, your are probably somewhere between a low and mid volume Lange. A mid volume may seem a safer but if the extra space forces you to have to crank up the buckles to secure your foot that may create pressure points causing discomfort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy