Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Mottaret private chef

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are a group of 4 adults and 4 kids (6-8yrs) and are renting a chalet in Mottaret for a week beginning 29 March 2025. The chalet is not catered and we would like to arrange catering (breakfast and dinner) Does anyone have any recommendations ? Not looking for fine dining, just someone to provide a basic catering for a week. Flexible on the number of days (4,5 or 6) so it doesnt have to be every day.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated!
Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alex99,
Meribel or Meribel Seasonnaires group pages on Facebook would be a good place to ask this question.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son used to do that when he did seasons, working for a staffing agency. But it cost a LOT of dosh - he got paid a lot (several thousand euro a week, plus very nice accommodation), and the agency got paid more. Plus the actual cost of the food. Do you have some talented but impoverished friend or relative you could take with you? Would probably work out cheaper. These days I partially fulfil that role for my kids and grandkids. Not just cheaper for them, but MUCH CHEAPER, as I seem to end up paying for the accommodation as well..... Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Origen, we’ve used private chefs and compared to comparative spend in restaurants it is much better value (and more enjoyable) and legal. What you’re suggesting would break the labour laws snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What you’re suggesting would break the labour laws

eh? I go with kids and grandkids to France and do more than my "fair share" of cooking. And back in the day I picked them up from the airport, and fetched and carried to ski lessons too. or a Breaking the labour laws? My mum came with us when our kids were little and did some child care and cooked the older boys, hubby and me lunches. Breaking the labour laws? Posh families take their au pairs, or nannies. The rest take grandma......or a young cousin......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alex99, here is a link on the seemeribel website https://www.seemeribel.com/catering/

i think the site used to be called "merinet.com", and they used to have a lot more adverts for catering companies that would either come to your chalet and cook for you, or alternatively deliver pre-cooked food that you then serve yourself, you could send a question direct to the above site for other contacts.
i knew one of the girls (a south african) who started one of the first businesses in meribel to offer these services many moons ago, but not sure she is still out there.

to be honest, i can understand the desire to have dinner cooked for you, but could you not just sort out breakfast between both families?, as this would save a lot of money for affectively dishing out bread and cereals to the kids!!

when we and another family went skiing for the first time several years ago, i used to enjoy taking the kids to the boulangerie in the morning to get the baguettes and pastries, now my girls are late teens or older they have to take it in turn to go in the morning whether they like it or not Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I were going with another family, and funds not unlimited, we'd work out some sort of cooking rota. 3 evenings when you do the lot, from shopping to washing up, 3 when you sit back and get waited on. And a final meal out, to make the clearing up job easier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Origen, yes business visa for domestic helper, pretty standard. You suggested asking an ‘impoverished friend’ -in exchange for holiday? Cash? thats work.
Now as neither of us have answered the request for a private chef recommendation - shall we leave these goof people to their suggestions Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alex99, A firm called Huski deliver meals in the area - might be worth a look ?

https://hu.ski/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are agencies offering a "6 day chalet service", in the 3V, for around €420pp for adults e.g. https://www.mountain-relish.com/6-day-classic-catered-ski-chalet-package but I've no personal experience.
I have used a private chef in the Belleville valley who is charging between €300 and €340pp with a reduction for children. The food was excellent but not high end.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the suggestions ! Will take a look at them all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Origen, yes business visa for domestic helper, pretty standard. You suggested asking an ‘impoverished friend’ -in exchange for holiday? Cash? thats work.
Now as neither of us have answered the request for a private chef recommendation - shall we leave these goof people to their suggestions Laughing

Who would be informing "the authorities" that a friend was staying on a free holiday and doing a bit of cooking? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's what many French families have done forever - with grandma! Who might also be taking the kids to ski lessons and doing other stuff. And I bet lots of high income families quite regularly take au pairs or nannies on holiday with them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just get a takeout pizza.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might want to look into Mountain Relish for a classic catered chalet service they offer a 6-day package in the 3 Valleys that's reasonably priced and could be a great fit for your group.

https://www.mountain-relish.com
latest report
alex...if you are still looking PM me
ski holidays
This is not an offer... My daughter runs yoga retreats, including in the Alps (Sixt). First time, the chalet owner suggested a couple of local chefs that his skier residents had used...

Daughter: Dad, the chef wants 50 euros a day per person, so E650 a day. That's 2600 euros.
Me: I know, I can count.
Daughter: Will you come and cook?

So I did/do.

I have since, about E350-400 for food, and I get a bung for cooking. No meat thought, all veggie (I'm not!) which is cheaper, but a challenge. Off again first week of Sep.

Private is expensive.
ski holidays
Also not an offer Very Happy

Each year I go with my parents and 4 of their friends for 2 weeks. I do breakfast and dinner for 14 days, the shopping and driving.
I don't get paid, but I don't spend a penny!
I get to ski for 2 weeks and stay in fabulous appartment right on the piste.
No way I could afford 2 weeks of luxury skiing, so this works well for me! I also get at least one other week of cheap skiing at my expense - that would be my only one without this deal!

Without money changing hands and no employment contract I don't think I'm breaking the law, maybe just bending the rules Cool
snow conditions
@ciderinsport, good on you. I can’t imagine a scenario where any of my kids would do this for us and consider it a good deal! But that probably says more about my soft touch modern parenting than about your family snowHead
snow conditions
@alex99, if you want basic catering check out https://hu.ski/?utm_source=meribelchaletaparts&utm_medium=partner

they do ready meals that you reheat, a private chef imo would be too expensive for what you are after...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy