Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

brian
brian
All, GrahamN's hotel suggestion looks fine: sauna, jacuzzi, 4 course meals included at €56 pppn, an in depth wine list and the malts have got to swing it wink

http://www.hotel-edelweiss.com/

I'd rather share to keep costs down (single rooms are €20 pppn suppl), especially as it looks like I'll be hiring a car for one.

I found an e-mail address for Francois Pinatel, shall I drop him a line and see if he's free ?

David Murdoch, are you and Sophie thinking 1st weekend or 2nd ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Only 2 trips sorted for definite. Need to remedy that

Quite. Now this is in place, I can think about what else. I'm probably going to try and get a week in St Anton with Snoworks in Jan, and probably another sneaky weekend early Feb (probably Cham again). So I hope not to need much of a warm up. Then just need to plan in another tour of some variety, and probably the EoSB...and maybe squeeze in another week somewhere? Decisions decisions. BTW - to try and give you guys some idea of my level, last year I was pretty happy on the Lac and Banane couloirs; I didn't get to look at Triffides, but from what I've heard about it I doubt I'm quite up to that.

So now we've pretty much all taken the first plunge, what do we want to do about the guide situation. JT and I will need to think a little more carefully about what to do for the tail end of the week as hiring a guide every day just between the two of us - unless anyone else fancies coming out for the 2nd half of the week Wink - is going to work out a bit pricey.

DM - have you managed to talk to Grumpy yet (or did you let her sleep in all weekend) and got any idea on if/when you're going to be around?

But we're a full complement for Sat-Mon. Do we:
a) do it ESC-style and follow Arno as primus inter pares (albeit some some of us may be not quite as pares as the rest of you)?
b) check out Charlotte's radical man
c) try for Arno's regular
d) go for someone else
e) put off a decision until too late to do anything else than pick up someone on the day Wink .

As he's the one who knows the area best I'm happy to take Arno's steer on this one. I would think his offer of a) for the Saturday would suite me fine - I've done the classics, and also some around the back of the Sarenne in ADH with a guide, but never pay quite enough attention to really know where I am when being guided rolling eyes . Any preferences for the remaining two days? Any thoughts on how you want to play your last day, Brian?

Arno, it's also way to early to have to think about it, but since we're getting excited, do you think touring gear is an advantage for getting to interesting places there? It wasn't obvious to me that it was last year. It's actually not an issue for me as I use a touring setup for pretty much all my on-snow skiing, but maybe something to think about when thinking about what gear to bring/hire?

[Add]
Brian - the room I was in there last year actually had a double bed and two singles, so depending on how friendly we want to be (no I'm not suggesting 4 in such an arrangement Wink ), it might work out quite reasonable. Can't remember if the prices are different for 3 sharing or 2. Actually, given there're 5 of us definite so far, a 3 and a 2 may work out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, I think edelweiss makes a lot of sense. I've only eaten there (which was good) but it seemed about right in terms of comfort and price. Happy to share rooms. Since it's in La Grave it makes hiring kit on the first morning a bit more straightforward. There are a couple of decent kit shops in LG.

I'm more than happy to go with Francois if he's free. As has been said, he's a real character and a great skier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian,

I don't really have a preference for a hotel or a guide....so happy to go with what you guys want to do... All the hotels posted look ok to me and I as I'm there for 8 nights I could do with keeping that in control but it would be nice if we were all in the same one.
I can't pretend to be able to keep up on single malts tho... Laughing

As for the guide...again, I have plenty of time...and I don't know the area, so if someone thinks this route will be good then fine.
Personally, I'd turn up, have a look at conditions and then get the guide but as you guys are in and out very quickly and the guides get booked up very quickly, then again...I'll go with the flow.

I believe the dates we gave DM were the first set...

And I believe there were afew more snowHead wanting to hook up ski-wise from the Tuesday...although I haven't seen any posts lately about what they want to do...A mini SH meet sounds good to me..anytime that week
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, good question. My skis have touring bindings on them and I'll probably chuck in skins just in case.

For La Grave, there is loads of stuff you can do without skins. Also it's one of the few places where you can hire decent skis with touring bindings without too much difficulty.

In ADH, skins can be handy both to get to places at the top of the resort and to get back up to the Col du Sarenne if you don't want to use a taxi. However, they are not essential at all. At the top, you're only talking about 20mins - better on skins if there is no track but not a big problem. At the bottom, you can just traverse it or walk. Again, it's 20-30mins so not a biggie

Guide-wise, I'm not too bothered. From my point of view, Francois would be fun for a change
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, the owner's OH is Dutch, so they also have a good selection of Dutch beers too IIRC Very Happy .
OK so lets go with trying to get in the Edelweiss, and trying for Francois. Brian - you going to try him? See what his availability over that period is. ATM I guess we're probably interested primarily in Sun/Mon/(+Tues?) - do we want an easy day Sat, or straight in at the deep end Very Happy ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be hiring skis, almost for sure.... Anyone got any links for a shop or two. K2's, Dynastar that sort of thing.

GrahamN,
If we can all get into the Edelweiss, sounds great

I'd prefer downhill, but if there is a must do, which involves a little trek, then its seems rude not to...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As for my other trips....

I'l be looking to get away to Engelberg as soon as the glacier fills in...so maybe the 1st good storms in Jan...this will be a lightnig break over 4 days or so... I have a good local contact and there is always the Stockli shop that HAS to be done...
and then I want to go down to BSM late in the season and have a look at the NF... Maybe a mini meet there as I think there are a a few Laughing seasoning there...or as good as.

Anything else will be last last minute, I think....
latest report
 brian
brian
Ok, I've e-mailed Edelweiss checking price/avail. for the following,

Fri 23rd - 1 twin, 1 triple B&B
Sat, Sun 24-25, 1 twin, 1 triple HB
Mon 26 - 1 triple HB
Tues 27 - Sat 3 - 1 twin HB

DM can check for a double when he checks in.
latest report
 brian
brian
GrahamN, I intend to be on the road by 2pm on the Tuesday for a 5.50pm flight unless someone knows something terrible about Grenoble traffic ?

So I'm up for another guided half day if that fits in with you and JT, otherwise I'll probably mosey up to L2A and have a look around (never seen it in winter).

I'll mail Francois and see if he's free at all.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm on for a bed Fri/Sat/Sun as suggested.

For Sat my vote is option a) for the classics etc. Then guiding Sun & Mon but I can go with the flow. Obviously we're just taking a punt at this stage as 7 months away conditions could be boilerplate or whiteout or anything in between.

I'm unlikely to be taking a touring set up unless I'm really confident with my tele by then but will have my own avy kit + harness if necessary.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob,

I assume they will be necessary...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
fatbob,

I assume they will be necessary...

Sorry meant the harness bit which I suspected could be on the cards anyway - rarely go anywhere without my avy kit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's Francois:

you can make out the roll-up if you look very carefully snowHead
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Francois Pinatel's mailbox has overflowed. Copied the message to the guides' office and asked them to pass it on, no reply as yet.

Better news from Edelweiss who can fit in the famous 5 (Me, JT, GrahamN, Arno and fatbob). I'll pm the details.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
brian,

Good news on the Edelweiss.
snow conditions
brian, excellent. Should be a bit of a party there that week - as I suspected, it's one of the SCGB's weeks there as well (so the guide I was thinking of would have been taken by them anyway), but JT and I get an extra twoish days skiing over them Very Happy .
ski holidays
 brian
brian
On 2nd thoughts, I'll shove the details in here, nobody else will still be reading Very Happy

So they can do twin + triple or they have a big room with mezza that sleeps up to 6 (easily they allege).

Prices in € - twin/triple/room for 5

B&B (for Friday) - 40/38/35
HB - 56/52/49

Let me know what you'd prefer.

They want a deposit of €400. I can put that on a card and give you my bank details so you can transfer me the cash ? Or I guess we could give them separate details. Again, preferences please.
latest report
brian,

Hold the booking in one name and then if all agreed that we book this now we can call them with the booking ref and settle individually.

Since Graham and I are there for the duration then it might be easier to put us in a twin... but I am easy... if anyone has a better idea
snow conditions
brian, I will phone him for you and tell him to get his act together! Very Happy
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
brian, excellent. Should be a bit of a party there that week - as I suspected, it's one of the SCGB's weeks there as well (so the guide I was thinking of would have been taken by them anyway), but JT and I get an extra twoish days skiing over them Very Happy .

And the Eagles have an off piste week there scheduled to end on 24th. They've used the Edelweiss before so there could be quite a little party!

For rooms, sticking with the triple/twin combo seems to make more sense since JT and GrahamN are staying on but of it helps the hotel fit us all in, I don't mind.

JT's idea of all of us sorting out our own deposits works for me
ski holidays
Twin + triple seems best to me. Depending on how they want to charge for triples the obvious thing to me would be to have JT/Me/Brian in a triple, and Arno/Fatbob in the twin, as they are leaving the day before Brian and that frees up a room earlier, rather than Brian tying a triple up on his tod for one night. Just as long as they charge the room as a twin (rather than 1.5 * triple) for the remainder of the week. We could of course move rooms part way through the week, but I don't really want to do that more than once.

Each sorting out our own deposits is fine if it works for them, or Brian's original plan's fine too. I suggest we split it pro rata per night: €15/night works out at €420 so that should do them.
ski holidays
All ok for me - I'm happy in a twin or a triple with HB on the Sat & Sun. Happy to pay deposit direct or pay Brian as suggested.
snow report
 brian
brian
Ok, I've asked for rooms as per what I said above:

Fri 23rd - 1 twin, 1 triple B&B
Sat, Sun 24-25, 1 twin, 1 triple HB
Mon 26 - 1 triple HB
Tues 27 - Sat 3 - 1 twin HB

... and if they're ok with separate deposits.

easiski, thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian,

Thats great, just let me know what name we are holding in and I will book/pay deposit.
Many thanks. Very Happy
snow report
JT wrote:
brian,

Thats great, just let me know what name we are holding in and I will book/pay deposit.
Many thanks. Very Happy

ditto the thanks for organising. PM me the name of the booking and I'll get onto the Edelweiss snowHead
ski holidays
PM me too thanks.
snow report
Phoned Francois - left message on his voicemail. I'll try again later. I told him you'd sent email but his mailbox was full! Should get info soon. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski,

Thanks Charlotte. Is this the guy that you recommended that we book...can't remember the name you gave.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have we got a name holding the booking yet ??
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, not had a response to my follow up e-mail, I'll call them tomorrow if there's no reply.
latest report
brian, No problem...no hurry
snow conditions
brian, Re-send your email to Francois with "Enseignement" as the title. he's cleared his inbox and is looking forward to hearing from you. However he cleared his inbox by deleting everything! Shock
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, thanks, I've done that. Very Happy

I've also called Edelweiss, separate payment is fine but she wants to work out individual numbers for the deposits rather than just splitting the €400 equally.

So the booking is held under Russell, I'll let you know by pm what you need to pay when I get the numbers, I get the impression they're not in a hurry.
ski holidays
brian,

Thats perfect, many thanks again...
ski holidays
Blimey - flights, hotel and guide booked by August. This must be some kind of record for me!

Thanks for your efforts, brian.
ski holidays
Arno, yeah - but you are talking February!!! wink wink
ski holidays
Arno,

Yep, me too, and it will be a long wait, I'll just have to keep an eye out for the snow
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Record for me too - I'd normally chew my own arm off before committing to anything this far out. Cue no snow in the Oisans for February rolling eyes - its kind of like calling last run isn't it?

Oh & thanks brian.
snow report
 brian
brian
No problem and don't worry about the snow, apparently it's going to be a bumper snow year in La Grave, something to do with the gentianes Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy