Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

Poster: A snowHead
JT, can't make any promises about LG just yet although I'm quite (very) tempted - I'll undoubtedly be in those parts once or twice through the winter. I'd say that it's best to hit that region with a car. There is plenty to do at LG but it's also nice to see some of the other areas. Some of the big runs off Alpe d'Huez for example. Also, the lift at LG does close sometimes so you're a bit stuffed if that happens and you don't have a car.

As far as where to stay is concerned, there are some reasonable places in LG (eg Edelweiss). Other places with good access to everything would be Le Freney (assuming anywhere is open - it always looks a bit dead at winter) or Bourg d'Oisans. Last time I went, I actually stayed the other side of LG in a hotel on the way up to the Col du Lauteret. A pretty unexciting looking place, but it's cheap, the rooms are big and recently refurbed and it has a sauna and jaccuzi! All these are pretty sleepy places - the most action would be in LG I would say, but it's not exactly kicking!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, Arno, I'd definitely be up for LG and since I'd most likely have to come through GVA I'd be hiring a car anyway. I expect lampbus would be in the same boat, isn't he from Geordieland ?

Round about last weekend of Feb or middle one in March would be ideal for me. I'm itching to get flights booked before Mrs b has any 2nd thoughts Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, no flights to Turin from Newcastle or anywhere north of luton, unless you count the weekend ski charters. Car Hire is usually quite expensive in Italy too.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, sleepy with a few beers is perfect by me.

A mondeo size estate with ski rack is showing at about £40 a day for GVA at the moment, Turin and Chambéry are both more like £50.

Passes wise, Oisans is better from France, Turin involves coming over Montgenevre and the Col du Lauteret, both theoretically open year round but ...

From here, Geneva and Chambéry are really my only options for Oisans anyway.

7-8 nights may be pushing it, I reckon 4-5 is probably more realistic for my holiday situation. Avoiding Saturday travel, flights are in the £50 to £80 range or thereabouts at the moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, there shouldn't be any problem with Montgenevre, but the Lauteret was closed for 5 days last March. We crossed it OK about 5 out of 6 times though (there and back), only closed on our short trip out in March, and we;d had prior warning so went via Frejus tunnel and Montgenevre.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.hotel-lesagneaux.com/ is the place I mentioned. Villar d'Arene is a very authentic village, complete with resident goats and a general niff of their poo Laughing

the only risk with going to Turin is that you have to cross the Col du Lautaret to get to LG, LDA and ADH. This does close from time to time and driving the long way round is a long way! It could be worse though - you end up stuck in Serre Che. Grenoble or Lyon would be my favoured choices with Turin and (believe it or not) Marseille coming next. The drive from Marseille is 3 hours or so but very painless

I'd be up for a weekend or long weekend in mid-late March. Might be able to do early March/end of Feb but I'm also thinking about doing a tour around then

edit: Brian and Helen beat me to it on the Lautaret info...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Lautaret has been closed twice this week, too. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chris, BL**DY CYCLISTS!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Arno, I've got a holidays in first week of March already sorted. Not sure now about meeting up - I'm about fixed up for this year - I'll have to think about it.
snow report
 brian
brian
How about out on Tues 13th March, back on Sunday 18th ?

There are easy flights from Stansted and Newcastle to GVA that tie up nicely, with a nice late flight back meaning almost a full day's skiing on the Sunday. Price is £68 from NCL, £80 from STN.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, pretty sure I could do something where I fly out on Thursday evening and come back at the same time as you
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, Thursday might be a bit more realistic for me as well actually. Confused 5 days out there does sound rather nice though.

easy flights from Newcastle, Stansted, Gatwick and Luton (STN cheapest of London 3) can all tie in at Geneva.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, I know we were completely crap about organising an LG adventure last year, but as we will be easily within reach this coming season can we come too?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DM,

Looks like late feb/early mar... I'm waiting on word from GrahamN
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, Just let us know...
snow report
JT, Hopeless waiting for Graham to decide ... 13th March should give you all the best off piste snow. LG is better in March than any other month + remember how much it snowed last March? We often get major dumps around then. In addition to Arno's hotel, there's a hotel right at the barrage at the bottom of the LDA road - hand for LG and not useless for ADH either. Do you want me to get info? Very Happy

This thread has been hijacked - suggest a moderator moves the LG trip stuff?????

Skiing goals next year: ski all the off piste bits here that I haven't yet.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
March suits me
snow conditions
wow - I started a thread without even realising it wink

sounds like we might be getting close to a quorum
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno,

Don't you have plans to be there a lot this season...?

I'm pouring over a map of the area already and might be thinking of a week long stay using a village as a jump point. I don't know how feasible it is to think about skiing LG all the time what with the weather and guiding costs or whether it is a place where once you get your bearings you can sort yourself out on that hill..

But if we camp down there and peeps come out for a few days then I can see we could get quite a few snowHead popping in...!!!
snow report
easiski,

Your suggestion of the hotel down the road might be a good in-between spot... I might get back to you and take you up on the details offer
once we have a bit more 'commitment' to a date.
ski holidays
JT, i was thinking about renting a place for the whole season but it's looking unlikely now. i would like to get as much skiing as possible in through the season though so I'll undoubtedly be finding my way to the Oisans region at some point(s)

as far as LG is concerned, there is quite a lot you can do without a guide, if you have a reasonable amount of experience of skiing glaciated terrain. the classic vallons de la meije is (I would say) objectively a lot safer than the Vallee Blanche. It's a much more challenging run in terms of steepness though. The Chancel side is a bit more crevassed. However, once you get into the season, a beaten track develops and it's pretty safe. Having said all of that, you don't want to spend a week at La Grave and just ski the two classic itineraries. You would never find some of the really exciting stuff without a guide, or at least someone with good local knowledge. Some of the routes require abseils so it's handy having a professional to set all that up - not essential of course if you know a bit about ropework.

if it was me, i'd do your plan of finding somewhere convenient to stay and visiting different resorts on different days - depending on conditions etc
ski holidays
I'm currently thinking on the lines of Engelberg in late Jan/early Feb, LG in early Mar and BSM V late Mar/April
latest report
Ooh very tempted by this - will only really manage a long weekend though. Is the current proposal incl 16-18 March?

(also a bit worried about being to hack the pace with the pro obsessives Very Happy )
snow report
Currrently looking at the 24 feb to 4 mar. Don't know whether to pick up guides as per ski conditions on the day or book ahead. I favour the latter. Fly into Grenoble from London airports and hire a car to get to hotel. Arno and Brian have posted very nice looking hotels but you'll need to be mobile to be able to get to ADH, LDA, CS and LG.

I'd be a bit concerned about keepinp up so no rock stars required Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Anybody else up for the 1st weekend coming from the North ?

Fly out EDI to Chambéry, Fri 23rd at 2pm
Back Tues 27th at 5.50pm, so 3.5 days skiing.

Flight is £70, looking for someone to share a car with (he said somewhat hopefully).

fatbob, the pro-obsessives have me slightly worried too Confused
ski holidays
brian,

If you can ski Scotland in all its glory this should be doddle to you. I'm hoping it will a doddle anyway..within reason.
Graham is ok with the dates as above, I'm not too worried about guiding. If we are only a 2 ball for the week then I don't want to commit to guiding costs daily at 265 eu a day per guide, I rather bomb round and pick the days for weather etc.

As for the skill level, no idea how you measure it but as long as you are safe on difficult snow and not floundering too much every day, I would think that would set the tone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so... do we have an agreed date? i can probably do a long weekend around 24/25 Feb, 3/4 Mar (so would tie in with JT) or 17/18 Mar. All subject to when I decide to go touring.

who are these pro-obsessives? David Murdoch and JT I reckon wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, order up some windslab and I'll be fine Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno,

I'm confuesd about that as well, She's such a doll but to put things into perspective.....we were choosing our line on the steepest part of a pitch....which was quiet nice, 35 plus...hopefully, when this guy on tips straight lined it...nothing too wrong in that it was only a short umpy pitch - 100m or so, and we were wanting the turns....when this other local came along whilst we were farting about and straight lined it backwards..!!

If there had been more snow we would have bugged out somewhere else..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now Davey boy is a nice skier...
ski holidays
Arno,

Looking into Air fares from the south on the Sat 24th... where will you be flying from?
latest report
 brian
brian
This umpy pitch ?

At least it was probably white when you skied it Laughing

snow report
brian,

Looks very much like it.. it was in much better condition than that tho'
snow conditions
I've checked out going out on the Friday 23rd and back on the sun 4th..about £50 from Gatwick..!!!
ski holidays
I'm liking the idea of going out in the evening of Friday 23rd and coming back in the evening of Monday 26th or first thing Tuesday 27th.

JT, are you looking at Easyjet? I'll fly from a London airport. From experience, BA to Lyon has the best times for me
snow report
Arno,

South of the M25 suits us best, my fave is GTW to Grenoble on the friday Easyjet. Haven't looked at BA yet. I'm quite happy to go with this outline and it suits G to tie up the dates, I believe.

I would epect DM and Sophie to be in the frame on one of the weekends....

Both Hotels look ok to me.. I like the idea of a sauna.

The cheapo Corsa deals look ok but wasn't going for ski racks... just an A to B car
snow report
JT, i'll have a look at flight times and costs - always keen to use as little annual leave for as much skiing as poss! if that means i have to get my own car, that's life
i'm up for committing to this so i'll keep you posted
latest report
 brian
brian
JT wrote:
I would epect DM and Sophie to be in the frame on one of the weekends....

I guess they'd be passing Chambéry. First weekend looks good to me DM wink

Quote:

Both Hotels look ok to me.. I like the idea of a sauna.

Hotel (well B&B) I saw was www.rochemeane.com , btw.
ski holidays
Ok, I'll wait for Graham to check in and then decide on the flight.... suspect Easyjet Gatwick/Grenoble...hire a car and we can put this to bed in a few days..

Arno, Doesn't Gatwick suit you because if it does you could at least ride out wih us and get a bus back to Grenoble?

Nice and comfortable hotel with good breakfasts beats out the suana..so I don't mind which
snow report
JT, I've had a look at flights and BA to Lyon is looking best for me - better times and, given that I'll be bringing my own skis, about the same price. That Roche Meane place looks v nice and is more convenient than Les Agneaux, although there don't seem to be many single beds available Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno,

I don't mind about convenience, we'll have cars... whatever you think is best though... I've only driven through.

Just need to firm up the flights for now, I reckon
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy