Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

Poster: A snowHead
Folks, as far as I can determine now either weekend would be fine although I need to find out from Her Ladyship as we are expected in Champoluc for a week in February. No idea which one. It may not make any difference as we can just drive around.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S. I'm not pro-obsessive...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is looking very promising snowHead snowHead snowHead

JT, I'm inclined to go with that BA flight Arno found (19:15 from LHR). It would allow us basically to go without taking Friday leave (provided you can get off a bit sharpish Fri pm), and the return on Sat or Sun (18:20) would allow at least half a day's skiing (possibly more) on the return day. The EJ flights would be mid morningish in each direction, so we'd be screwed for skiing either of those days. I'd be bringing my skis, so there's only about £15 difference in the price between EJ or BA (BA=£93 atm) - and it's nicer flying BA than EJ anyway. The main thing then is checking that the hotel(s) will allow Fri-Sat bookings. We could always try finding a motel down in the valley for the Fri night if necessary. Would be a bit more of a pain if we had to do that for the final Sat night though.

When I was looking last year, some rental companies charged an arm and a leg for chains and skirack (e.g. EasyCar), but Alamo (IIRC - or maybe some particular agent) was very reasonable. I'll dig out the ref when I get home.

I had a quick look at guides and hotels etc.. The guide I mentioned last night as being really good charges €300/day (from his own website) although I've not yet checked whether he's available then. For hotels, the Edelweiss in LG charges €56 pp/night for half board, €40 BnB, so a bit more than the RocheMeane; the 4 course evening meal was really good though, and the whisky selection in the bar was excellent (about 20 single malts) - although we had polished off the best bottles by half way through the week. La Chaumine (which I've not stayed at, but met the owners on a tour last year), is €36 pppn BnB, €50 1/2 board, so not much in it, but that's a way out of LG.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry appear to have coined a new phrase with pro obsessive - I'm obsessive just not sure whether my skiing merits the prefix.

I'm keen on a 3 day trip with evening flights as I'm sorting my annual trip to N America shortly thereafter.

What dates do I need to look at for Thurs night-Sun Night or Fri night - Monday night?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, JT and I are looking at going out 23 Feb returning Sunday 4th March.

I think Arno is looking at Friday 23rd Feb - evening of Monday 26th or first thing Tuesday 27th. If you're travelling from London that may be a good hookup. The BA flights leave LHR 19:15 and return from Lyon 18:20 - so you could probably ski until 14:00 on departure day.

brian is looking at afternoon 23 Feb, returning evening 27th Feb - maybe trying to bum a lift with DM.

DM is probably the nearest to pro - in that he has 'earned' Wink his living for at least part of his life from the ski industry (and is clearly a very good skier). Doubt any interpretation of the word applies to the rest of us.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno's trip sounds perfect for me - I was thinking LGW - GVA & return as a possibility for the late flight times but LHR is more than possible.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The dates 23rd Feb (fri) - 4th mar (sun) work out great for me as I only need to take 4 days off.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this all seems to be coming together nicely
if GrahamN's guide isn't available, I can recommend someone who knows the area very well
fatbob, GrahamN has my dates down correctly

if the Friday night is a problem hotels-wise, there is an Etape hotel just of the main road past Grenoble which is a fairly handy stopping point
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So Arno what are you thinking for the return - ski til nearly 2 then back for a Mon evening flight or get a full day in , hotel near the airport for the early Tues?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm ok with all of this, just need to know the deal with the cars and once we have a car we don't really have to worry about the hotel turn-around, altho' if we have to move it will be a bit of a pain, I agree.

Are we guided on both days of the 1st weekend, and if so where..? How warm is our warm-up..? It doesn't matter to me but for some who know the area, I'll doubt they will be hso appy with classics..!! Personally, I'm not so bothered who the guide is as long as he is sorted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, i'm inclined to go for the return first thing on tuesday option. there is a hotel in Lyon airport so you can roll out of bed and into the check-in area very quickly. it's a sofitel so it's quite expensive tho. there is a cheapo looking place just as you get to the airport which might be worth investigating if we want to keep costs down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally on the assumption that earlier trips have gone ok & I'm not carrying any injuries I don't think I'd need much of a warm-up to ease myself in. However there would be the issue of getting comfortable with each other & our respective skiing abilities (my skills in breakable crust for instance leave a lot to be desired!), practising avy drill etc for which my slight preference is to do this off the clock. This may not be an issue for the rest of you if you've skied together before.

Also is booking in advance a guide specifically for LG for both days a bit of a risk - if conditions look more favourable elsewhere -e.g. Arno's routes in ADH might be a goer.

But basically I'd be happy to go with the flow.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
fatbob, browsing guides' websites, it appears LG guides are happy to operate in ADH, SC, etc as well.

Incidentally, if everyone comes (me, JT, GN, Arno, fatbob, DM and Sophie) is 7 too many for one guide ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think I'd need too much of a warm up either. We could go without a guide on the Saturday and (conditions permitting) do the classic routes on La Grave or some things in Alpe d'Huez. If the weather's OK, I'm more than happy to show people some quite good stuff - assuming people are happy without a guide
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, I am 'up for it' too (See PM) but what size group are people happy with ?
Also please shout if you think Im not experienced enough (although keep in mind that I only fell once when I had the wider skis @ EOSB)
ski holidays
I can think of at least two more who would be interested in a trip like this and I don't think I'd have to look far to find a few more.

Perhaps a "snowHeads Extreme" trip is in order?

Thoughts?
snow report
I'm easy, I've never skied there so it will all be new to me... happy to go where ever peeps suggest..
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, Ditto for me.
ski holidays
Well, I think I'm going to book my flights in the next couple of days.
latest report
Arno,

Me too,

All,

The group stands at 7 for the weekend which is the tops for a guided group usually.
I'm there for the week so happy to meet up from Tuesday onwards.
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, Arno, I have official spousal date clearance and am ready to book, no last minute date changes I take it ?
snow report
brian, none from me. I'll probably book flights later today. I'll post the details
ski holidays
brian, Arno, No, I'm ready to go, just waiting for Graham to check in to clarify the flying times...not that I need to check them as I'm don't have problem with the times on friday etc. He was checking out cars, I think...
snow report
Just to confirm, what are the dates?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
David Murdoch,

JT and Graham - fly out Fri 23/2/07, back Sun 5/3/07
Arno, fatbob - fly out Fri 23/2/07, back late Mon 26/2 or early Tues 27/2
Me - fly out Fri 23/2, back Tues 27/2 early evening
snow report
Arno - Ar eyou going for the Monday night or Tues morning flight return?
ski holidays
fatbob, I'm going to maximise ski time and go for the Tuesday morning return
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
....mmm not sure what I edited here Embarassed

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 9-03-07 18:11; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ok, my flights are booked snowHead

Possible guiding option ?

http://www.snowlegend.com/eng/index.html

Their price is quoted at €350/day including all the avvy gear, harness etc. and Rossi test gear (B3s, B4s etc).

Last edited by brian on Fri 28-07-06 14:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
GrahamN, you beat me to it !

I'm
Out: 23/2 Globespan EDI-CMF 14:00-17:20
Ret: 27/2 Globespan CMF-EDI 17:50-19:10

.... and not at all jealous of your extra days, oh no no no Razz Laughing
snow conditions
brian, Thanks. OK, I think we're probably in.
snow conditions
My usual is this guy:

www.massifalps.info

Think he costs about the same. Can't supply Rossi test gear but you can hire good kit in La Grave. Don't have any strong feelings about the guide tho - Anthony will get some of my custom later in the year most probably...

Will book my flights once I get my flights for this weekend sorted out. Baggage handlers on strike in Barcelona = mucho hassle Mad
ski holidays
WELL DONE GUYS - Looks like you've sorted it. If you don't want Arno,'s guy I recommend Francois Pinatel. He works out of LG and is very well respected locally - a radical guy, and huge fun!

The 2 classics at LG would be a very nice warm up! No-one should make the mistake of thinking they're easy!!! Can "pisted" be if no snow for ages though! I do recommend a guide for St Christophe though, as going over from LG there's a lot of glacier that's pretty avalanche prone. Ditto for Les Travers. Very Happy
snow conditions
Coming back to any other snowHead thinking about visiting the area, any ideas, plans..??
ski holidays
easiski, when I did my week at SkiersLodge, I was lucky enough to have Francois as my guide. He is a legend. Skis like s### off a shovel with a roll-up ciggy hanging out of his mouth. snowHead
snow report
Ok that's my flights booked BA

Out: 23/Feb/2007 BA0364 LHR-LYS 19:15-21:55
Ret: 27/Feb/2007 BA0365 LYS-LHR 07:15-08:05

6 trips booked already for winter (excluding proper holidays!)

Should be the same as Arno - guess we'd end up renting a small car together in due course unless anyone fancies running us back to a hotel near the airport on the Monday night wink

Car hire for 3 days presently £54 Fiesta, £64 Astra, £113 Mondeo Estate £155 Espace- seems easier to get small cars!
snow report
I'm in...

I would think small cars and chuck the skis in the back..
ski holidays
Arno, Yes - but what was in the ciggie???? He is, truly a world class skier and snowboarder. Of course he loves his parapenting now, but if you want him for Feb you'll have to book early as he has worked in Vaujaney for the ski school for the last couple of holiday periods! Otherwise I saw Damian today, and he's going to look in on the moguls thread on Bend Ze Knees. He also might be available..... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
easiski, ooohhh, a bumps lesson with Damien Albert. Do I need to sell my soul first?
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Ok that's my flights booked BA

Out: 23/Feb/2007 BA0364 LHR-LYS 19:15-21:55
Ret: 27/Feb/2007 BA0365 LYS-LHR 07:15-08:05

6 trips booked already for winter (excluding proper holidays!)

I'm sorted on those flights now. Looking forward to it!

Only 2 trips sorted for definite. Need to remedy that
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy