Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave trip-Split from Skiing goals thread.

Poster: A snowHead
A small Fiesta with snow pack is coming out at about £230 fo the 8 days. (holiday autos) The snow pack costs 115eu so what that entails I don't now. I'd be inclined to get the basic at £150 and add chains from a supermarket if we need them.
I need to think about these things as the costs could start running away.... if we have to hire guides for a few days between the 2 of us...!!!!

Graham thinks we have to have a car between us 2 so I wouldn't want to commit to a taxi just yet
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the cars for the weekednders is a no-brainer too.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
fatbob, I agree.

May as well book ? Thinking about it, my preference would be for a big estate, £130 inc. chains and 2nd driver. I have long legs which don't always fit well behind economy steering wheels but I'm happy to go with the 2 x economy approach if you reckon skis inside would be a problem.

JT, www.europcar.co.uk economy with snow chains and additional driver for 9 days = £178
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian,

Thanks, I'll check in with Graham about that...its always difficult seeing where the extras come in...like CDW and excess etc.

If the only thing that a snow pack is...chains and anti-freeze, then how do we get 115eu's?
As I said £150 from Holiday Autos looks pretty good...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, a snow pack usually includes a roof rack (and a tip top windscreen scraper rolling eyes ) I think.

On excesses, I'm going to get an annual policy to cover this this season but otherwise if an excess waiver is offered by HA or whoever then it'll be a lot cheaper than the one you'll get offered at time of rental.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The cheapest I found last time I was looking was www.carhire3000.com. Just checked and we could get a Citroen C3 for £164, including CDW, and an additional driver. I checked the snowchains box, and there's an extras charge of £13.50 included in that price (base price was £150), but I'm not entirely sure whether this is the charge for snowchains or not. I'm pretty sure it will be though, as IIRC they were certainly very sensible about snowpacks etc rather than most of the other outfits I looked at.

A C1 would come out at about £154 (same deal with snowchains), but I'm not too sure about the sizes inside these cars - remember we will need to get a couple of pairs of skis at 180cm+ inside.

For the other group, they would do a Zafira for about £130, or a Picasso for £90 (snowchain charge not included for those prices).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN,

If its just the 2 then I don't see we need a rack... I'm not carrying skis.
It's just a question of how well a pair of 184 skis would fit in.

If we could keep an all-in price of the hire-car down to £100.00 ea, inc fuel etc, then that would suit me...
Obviously if we go mad running around then we might need a bit more, but £100.00 should be the aim IMV
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:
If its just the 2 then I don't see we need a rack... I'm not carrying skis.
It's just a question of how well a pair of 184 skis would fit in.

That's why I didn't get a quote for a rack, and said that we'd need to make sure that the skis would go inside the car. You're not taking skis Lyon-LG, fine - but when we drive over to Serre Che or ADH, what are you going to ski on if it's only my skis in the car?

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN,

If we can get one pair in then we can get 2 in, I'd have thought. If we have a guide taking us to other places then
I assumed that they would arrange transport. But a car with 2 skis inside covers everything, pretty much.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIW I'm with the idea of going without chains and a rack. I'll be amazed if we need chains and there are plenty of garages and supermarkets around which will be happy to sell them to us if necessary. I don't think a rack is really necessary even in a small car. If the worst comes to the worst you can just have the ski tips sticking out of the passenger window Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, Europcar price for SWMR (eg passat estate) with 2 drivers is £130. Split 4 ways the chains are only £6 each and we know we've got them ...

So I guess it makes sense for me to book this as I'll have the excess waiver insurance, unless you're doing similar ?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
fatbob, Arno, that's the weekenders' car booked.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, thanks for organising. this is the most organised ski weekend ever. brian, can you book in a huge dump of snow just before we arrive? wink
latest report
 brian
brian
Arno, no problem Cool

What time do you want the sunshine to break out ? Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian,

10 o'clock, sat morning, of course.... and a few overnight top-ups if you can manage it..!! Laughing

We probably will not book a car until after I get back from the psb ...gets way too confusing with all these air tickets and car parks and cars...!!

Normally, I'm only just thinking about trips at this time...not having 2 done and dusted...almost..

Talking of which... anyone got any good ideas for Jan.....?
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, Cairngorm, Nevis ??

That's as far as I'm going to get between Xmas (Anniviers) and Feb (LG) ...
snow conditions
brian,

Its as far for me to get to Scotland as it is to get to the alpes.... I'll probably piece together a swiss trip from Engelberg to VDA to Chamonix... I'm think of flying into Basle and out via Geneva.

Just thinking out loud as I might be on my own a bit this season
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, I'll be in Engelberg from 1-5 Feb in my capacity as organiser of tour No 10:

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/esctours.html

There's a pretty strong group of skiers and if you happened to be there I don't think anyone would mind if you tagged along

I quite fancy skiing in Britain this year. Might do a flying visit up to Scotland or the Lakes one weekend if conditions merit it
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
JT, I'll be in Engelberg from 1-5 Feb in my capacity as organiser of tour No 10:

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/esctours.html

There's a pretty strong group of skiers and if you happened to be there I don't think anyone would mind if you tagged along

I quite fancy skiing in Britain this year. Might do a flying visit up to Scotland or the Lakes one weekend if conditions merit it

Now that's interesting - that is one of the weekends I've got sleazyjet booked out to CH & I was looking yesterday at the Hotel Bellevue website wondering why they didn't seem to have space that weekend?

JT actually hoping to hit up Engelberg & Andermatt a couple of times so we should discuss at the PSB
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, haven't booked the hotel yet so it's a bit of a bu99er if the bellevue is full already!
snow report
fatbob, Arno,

Its possible I might be able to defer my trip to Engelberg...thanks for the tip

We can discuss at the psb
snow conditions
Arno, some really interesting looking tours in that Eagles list. Maybe I should think about doing something there 2008 (although I may need a bit of moutaineering practice first Shocked ). I thought you said the Eagles were at the Edelweiss the week before us?, but I'm either going blind, or it's not on that list. Also see that Rob's clearly a pretty popular guy in the Eagles, as pretty much all his tours look booked up already.
ski holidays
GrahamN, it was the Rick Marchant tour. He changed the location from La Grave to Chamonix/Valais
ski holidays
JT wrote:
fatbob, Arno,

Its possible I might be able to defer my trip to Engelberg...thanks for the tip

We can discuss at the psb

Might be there or Andermatt sometime in Jan too
snow report
I've just spoken to Francois again (I've been meaning to for weeks, but rarely been at home at a reasonable hour) - telephone conversations are a bit tricky as my spoken French is better than his English comprehension, but my French comprehension is pretty ropey...so it would probably have been best for me to speak in French and him in English, but that was a bit too much to get over Laughing .

Anyhoo, he is available for the Saturday, so I've changed the booking to run from Sat-Mon, and he's fine with 6 people. It's not clear that he received my last email, so I'll resend him one to confirm tomorrow. I also mentioned that three of us will be in LDA for the Mondial, and he said he might be around to meet up.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
GrahamN, good stuff Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN,

Well done..
ski holidays
Arno,

Brought a few maps and a guide book ...I can't see the entrance for the Rama. I am guessing its west of the Col so therefore not on the LG OS map I have....and southside into the St Christophe valley....?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, it is just over the join (typical!) in the maps so it's shown on the Les Deux Alpes sheet. And yes, it takes you down to St Christophe ultimately. Not sure I'd trust myself to find the right entrance - definitely a route to be shown by an expert. I do think it's doable - Easiski's mate, Max, who took me to do some off-piste, said we should definitely do it "next time". I don't think he was taking the P Puzzled
latest report
 brian
brian
JT, you can get IGN maps (and aerial sat views) online

http://www.geoportail.fr/?event=DisplayCartoVisu&url_insert=454c8017cd9addec9f7d2e88aa8ee6ae

Put La Grave in the "Aller a" box and select "cartes" in the top left drop down. Browser full screen.
ski holidays
brian,

Not bad... I prefer pouring over a map tho'... Smile
ski holidays
I like the way you can superimpose the map on the aerial photo.... but yes, gawping at a map provides hours of fun. Not that I'm a nerd or anything... Cool
latest report
 brian
brian
I'm a bit of a map fetishist myself Embarassed

There is a "Ruisseau de la Rama" on the map, more or less directly below the Col de Puy Salié which is the col between the top t-bar at L2A and the top of the funicular.
ski holidays
brian, that's what I'm looking at - I assume it's the one
latest report
brian, I couldn't make the map work. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
brian,

I can't make out whether that is Bama or Rama and looking at the skiers lodge pics, it doesn't have the same kind of route down....but that might just be the picture aspect.

Great site tho' could play with this for ages..

easiski,

Are you getting any errors when you go to carte..??
latest report
JT, It just keeps saying loading for ever, when the firefox says it's finished. I did give it several minutes! It sounds like fun, and no, I haven't forgotten about phoning Francois.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, did you try starting from their top level, www.geoportail.fr ?
ski holidays
I've tried it on 2 PC's and the map works ok for me...

http://www.geoportail.fr/?event=DisplayCartoVisu&url_insert=454c8017cd9addec9f7d2e88aa8ee6ae

this is what we are looking at...the Rama is about dead centre...hopefully
ski holidays
Opps ...that link blows out to the Sat type view page...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy