Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much additional bag British Airways

Poster: A snowHead
I am contemplating booking BA flights but think I will need 1 extra bag due to taking 4 sets of skis, and kids ones are now almosy adult sized / weight so can no long cram into one ski bag.

I have gone to booking screen but can't add at time of booking

Googling says I need to do a booking and then add, so I don't know total price I could be hit with before commiting to them

Anybody added extra bag on Gatwick to Salzburg route?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, I think it depends on the route and ticket price , but I paid £65 each way Heathrow to Geneva. That seems to be the maximum

Phone and ask?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Checkin 2 ski bags (+ 2 suitcases) and take any extra luggage in back packs in hand luggage.

The 44 litre Cabin Max backpack is really good for this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boy has used BA several times this season and found it's worked out cheaper to fly Business Class rather than pay extra for all his luggage.

Plus he then eats the cost of his fare back Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, my extra bag was half the price ofvthe business class upgrade. Depends on timing I suppose...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris, I’d be drinking the cost of my fare back, but I guess he’s in training.

@NickyJ, if you take some/all of the bindings off you might be able to get four pairs into one bag, esp. if a kids pair is one, and be under weight , then distribute the binding into the other checked bags. I’ve done that before.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Boris, my extra bag was half the price ofvthe business class upgrade. Depends on timing I suppose...

yeah, but you get fast track, lounge access, a light meal on board, early boarding, etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it was £45 when i looked in Jan - but then they offered us a £50 per leg upgrade to Club Europe and we drank the cost of our upgrade back!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£45 online booked in advance, £50 at LGW this was in Jan. Made sure we got a TUI flight for both trips next year as that's only £50 both ways.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was charged £75 at LHR to Zurich...however upgrading to Business was £200 so did that to have the extra baggage both ways + the other benefits of course. Worth bearing in mind!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For multiple passengers on a booking, I believe you can have 1 bag over the allowance so long as your total is within the limit of your booking?

You can check a ski bag up to 23kg as one of your hold luggage. Do the 4 sets of skis come in under that?

If not, then split the skis into 2 ski bags and pack other gear around them up to the max weight.
Then just split the rest of your gear into 2x hold luggage + cabin bags.

BA have been varying the rules on cabin baggage for some reason, depending of departure point.
In the past, I've always "offered" my cabin bag for the hold, which is usually accepted. (occasionally, it's compulsory on full flights)
When I flew back from Geneva last season, my ski bag was overweight, but the check in clerk said he could accept it if I checked my cabin bag, as he could split the weight allowance. No brainer, as I was going to ask anyway.

Flying from Heathrow this year, for some reason I couldn't check my cabin bag, but was told I could hand it in just before security, for it to go in the hold. If I had checked it, it would have been weighed. At the security drop off, it wasn't. I just couldn't see the point unless it saved on handling charges.

Coming back from Venice, no problem checking it in as they were insisting on it. Weird because there were a dozen empty seats at the rear.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gored wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

yeah, but you get fast track, lounge access, a light meal on board, early boarding, etc.

None of which was needed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would be trying to get all four pairs into one bag, does the bindings come off ie rail bindings or QK. Lighter bag I went from a 3.5kg roller to 1kg dakine shoulder bag and get more gear in my 23kg allowance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If not too late another vote for asking to check the hand luggage. Did this in both legs to Vancouver recently; and normally on short haul they are even keener to deprive everyone of cabin bags!
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Gored wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

None of which was needed

Did you buy absolutely zero food or drink in the airport? Just looking back at my last flight a breakfast sandwich and cup of tea set ne back £14.45 at Pret while an Aero and 500ml bottle of Dr Pepper were £1.89 and £3.29 respectively, so an easy extra £20 - and I'd have had more/better stuff if it was free in the lounge rather than leaving ne wondering if a second cup if tea was going to require a re-mortgage.

I'm not saying it would completely offset the difference between Economy+extra bag vs Business, just that most of us encounter a lot of extra airport costs that get forgotten when looking at headline prices
snow report
abricotine wrote:
If not too late another vote for asking to check the hand luggage. Did this in both legs to Vancouver recently; and normally on short haul they are even keener to deprive everyone of cabin bags!

Although someone mentioned being refused on one leg of one flight earlier in the thread I have to say I've done this on every LON/GVA flight with BA for 3 years now, 3 trips a season and a polite ask (with a carry on bag that's carry on sizer) and never had anything other than "Of course." in reply.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Gored wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

None of which was needed

Did you buy absolutely zero food or drink in the airport? Just looking back at my last flight a breakfast sandwich and cup of tea set ne back £14.45 at Pret while an Aero and 500ml bottle of Dr Pepper were £1.89 and £3.29 respectively, so an easy extra £20 - and I'd have had more/better stuff if it was free in the lounge rather than leaving ne wondering if a second cup if tea was going to require a re-mortgage.

I'm not saying it would completely offset the difference between Economy+extra bag vs Business, just that most of us encounter a lot of extra airport costs that get forgotten when looking at headline prices

On the way out just bought a sandwich for less than £5 to eat on the plane, on the way back I got something at Geneva that was about £10 with a free water bottle top up . The busness class upgrade would have been £130 (I can add up wink
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
On the way out just bought a sandwich for less than £5 to eat on the plane...

Geez, which airport is that you're flying from? Just the of drink and a bar of chocolate cost me £5 at Gatwick!
latest report
@Mjit, Gatwick you can take an empty bottle through and fill it up at a fountain, instead of buying a drink. And can always buy a sandwich before you get to the airport wink

Early boarding always makes me smile, I'm in no hurry to sit on the plane so really don't see it as a benefit, let alone one worth paying for...the irony is that the early boarding lot are usually first on their feet too, desperate to get off and spend time at the luggage carousel Laughing
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, same at Heathrow (and I guess a lot of other airports now) - the machines even have a counter showing how many plastic bottles they've "saved".

If you've got all your ski gear into a big cabin bag, it can be worth boarding early to ensure there's space for it. That way you can be in resort while other people are standing at the luggage belt.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
On the way out just bought a sandwich for less than £5 to eat on the plane...

Geez, which airport is that you're flying from? Just the of drink and a bar of chocolate cost me £5 at Gatwick!

It was Heathrow - Pret jambon beurre. You can also get sandwiches at Boots and WH Smith for less than £5. I might be wrong about less than £5 for the Jambon Beurre but it won't have have been much different to that
latest report
@holidayloverxx, you mean a ham sandwich? I’d hope it would be less than £5 even with the fancy name.
ski holidays
@ster, if you know you know
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy