Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after 60

Poster: A snowHead
Where's @Forst? That's the level I want to be at when I'm (xx??? - Haven't asked but...)! I suspect that excellent technique and/or fitness are the keys to skiing well for longer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am a lot older than 60! Do whatever makes you happy- though I am with @hobbiteater, a ski mojo is well worth trying.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not quite 60 yet so don't quite have the seniority to post on this one Smile but...

4 of us who were friends at school and/or university (I'm the youngest by 6 months) started a long weekend ski trip for our collective 50th in 2014 and did it every 2 years apart from 2022 (COVID). To make up for it we went for the full week this year. We are all crocked to varying degrees. We've always gone to AdH because we can get a mate's rates apartment in Oz. Conditions were "variable" this year, to put it kindly, because of the warm weather but we still skied pretty much the same distance each day as we have in the past, if Strava is to be believed.

Advancing years has meant: a bit less booze, planning for two stops (early lunch and afternoon coffee or v.v.) and not skiing runs just because "we can get down that". We still caught the lift up at 9am and skied down when there were no more lifts running. Our conclusion was that AdH is too small for a week and we want to go somewhere bigger next time (3V?).

I felt a lot less tired, particularly my quads, than I have in previous years. I put that down to giving up running (knee problems) and joining a cycling club instead. For 3 weeks before I went I did 40 minutes Zwift workouts on a spin bike 5 or 6 days a week as well as the usual skiing-specific exercises. It didn't stop my knees hurting and so I expect I'll be buying Mo-jos before too many years are out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tsgsh, v.v. ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m 58 and Mr P 63. But for my fractured humerus this winter, we were both still hoping to become better and more adventurous skiers this winter- a bit more off piste with lifts and a spot of touring. I’d say Mr P managed it when the snow was good enough and there was someone to ski with who was up to it.
I’m definitely a first lift skier, but the day tends to end earlier these days because of the dog, and this winter if Mr P was skiing alone, he would finish in time for a late lunch with me, which was nice.
I’m really hoping when I get back on the slopes I haven’t lost my confidence and still maintain my sense of adventure and (modest) ambitions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’m loving this thread for no other reason than it’s giving me hope for another 20 years of skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought that 60 was the new 40?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So I'll be 60 next week -- so nearly old enough to comment. Mrs Ski is old enough however! We don't do multi-day ski tours anymore, and think carefully about how much uphill we do. If the weather in inclement (like the rain in Tignes before Christmas), we'll find something else to do.

What we both try to do is to ski as efficiently as possible, thereby reducing the strength and energy we need to use and hopefully protecting vulnerable joints. Mrs Ski has had both ACLs reconstructed.

And, we both Telemark (me all of the time, Mrs Ski half the time)...it's much much less wearing on joints, back etc. With new design equipment (NTN) it's not that much more effort than skiing alpine
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Where's @Forst? That's the level I want to be at when I'm (xx??? - Haven't asked but...)! I suspect that excellent technique and/or fitness are the keys to skiing well for longer.
He also invests in plenty of coaching to keep developing his already high level skills. That seems to be one strategy to ensure that age doesn’t take its toll on your ability to enjoy your skiing. Although I’ve not hit the big Six Oh, I definitely ski at a higher level now than I did 20 years ago, as a result of improving my skiing rather than improving my strength and fitness.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny996 wrote:
I’m loving this thread for no other reason than it’s giving me hope for another 20 years of skiing

Ditto...what a great thread !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to confess I suspect lessons for me will help in mitigating a decline in technique rather than advancing it. I'm probably a bit worse now than I was 10 years back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just about qualified as turned 60 in December!

Much less alcohol these days!

First lift, coffee when we feel like it, short lunch and finish when feel like it, usually 3.30 ish, then to the hot tub if we planned the hotel right!

Skiing is meant to be enjoyable - as long as this is the case, whatever you do is fine!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For your general health as you age, balance exercises are hugely important. Poor balance leads to falls, and falls are associated with strokes. I have a good friend who is a speech therapist. Her balance exercise is briushing her teeth standing on one leg!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 24-02-24 15:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is soeech therapy an advanced form of balance therapy?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:

Lol
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:

Doing them standing on one leg most likely is. Laughing
snow report
I was very pleased to get my first over 75 free ski pass last month. This was just a short solo break and with no-one to slow me down probably did more km. than usual with only one break and not my usual two. Generally skied within myself (pistes on but no snow off-piste) and despite a promise to wife did some blacks! You're only as old as you feel.
ski holidays
I'm 67. Still on the first lift but no longer on the last. More selective about where I ski; more and more its on piste as my L4/5 requires smooth. My gang, we all raced so we get our jollies with speed instead of gnarl. Busy days, I don't go. I'll be meeting a buddy in Zillertal in two weeks, he's 77 and has Parkinson's. He's not what he once was but still at it and he never complains. "Hope I die before I get old"...too late! I'm having as much fun as ever, that's the main thing.

Do something physical and mental every single day. Use it or lose it.
snow report
@welshskier,
Quote:

You're only as old as you feel.

You're only as old as your knees surely!
snow report
Lovely stories.

Me - 66 years, 62.4kg, 169cms.
Need 7 hours sleep
Hate the effects of drinking
Ski bike tree-felling still FT at work
Up 5:30 3 mornings a week to get daughter to work

Was doing same as OP
The Grom now 18 stayed 2 months in CH - was up 7am every morning and bus up to first lift, off the hill by 2pm

Did the same when I joined him - easy transition and found I had as much stamina as he did - but then he was doing a lot more jumping….
snow report
Thank you all so much for your comments - kind , reassuring , funny and thought provoking . There’s a lot of material here and some great ideas which I really appreciate !
snow conditions
Quote:

Her balance exercise is briushing her teeth standing on one leg!

I do that every morning. My electric brush gives me 4 - 30 second bursts, and I alternate legs. I also stand on one leg when waiting for train (well back from the edge of the platform Skullie )
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@tsgsh, v.v. ?

vice versa
latest report
To quote that nice Mr Eastwood (in his 90s now).
“DON’T LET THE OLD MAN IN!”
snow report
Well done @boulevardier, you've certainly hit a chord: thread started at breakfast time this morning and now already near bottom of 2nd page.
Lots of us over 60 here. I was 72 this week, and my ski day is much like yours.
We have a place in La Plagne, so can stay much longer than a week. No rush.
We start when we want: friends, weather and inclination more the driver than anything. Some days lots, other days not much.
But keeping fit all year round definitely a good idea. We are regularly out on our e-mountain bikes, and have rowing machine and excercise bike in our garage-gym.
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
@welshskier,
Quote:

You're only as old as you feel.

You're only as old as your knees surely!

I wonder, can I sell this to the MoJo marketing department?
Quote:
You are only two thirds as old as your knees

©@tsgsh Very Happy
snow report
I'm 71 and still instructing on the local dry slope, one hip replaced 5 years ago. When away I like to ski from as early as I can get the rest of the crew out and until the last lift. I hate long lunches as they waste ski time. I tend to stay on piste.

The most important thing is to enjoy what you do and try to keep as fit as you can, for as long as possible.
ski holidays
I am regular crew on a 36' boat with a 90 year old skipper. He has had health challenges including bowel cancer, open heart surgery and (most recently) a replacement hip. But his drive is remarkable. Sailing is what he does and he will do it till he drops (and if he drops on the boat, it'll be down to me to get him back safely to his wife, who has long wished he would stop and take life easier!). But he doesn't sail as far, as hard, or as in such bad weather, as he would once have done. He's got the balance right.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aged 62, been skiing since I was 15!

Not afraid to download if needed or to say enough is enough when I get tired (which maybe lunchtime especially if it's slushy!). Good accommodation and and good food is a must. Alcohol is Ok but no getting pi55ed!

Ski-ing is a holiday and to be enjoyed. When I don't enjoy it anymore, I'll stop

PS That sounds like a drug Smile
snow report
@tsgsh, I'm only 58 so hardly qualify for this thread, but my knees must be at least in their 70s!

Skiing was easier when I was mountain biking most weekends

I used to juggle with 3" stainless steel ball valves for a complete workout!

The electric toothbrush is a wonderful invention for ski exercises twice daily but I must admit I've never cleaned teeth on one leg.
latest report
Quote:

I've never cleaned teeth on one leg.

I only have teeth on one leg
snow report
I am now 77 and still skied off piste with Snoworks for a week in December. The weather was very disappointing although the last day we had fresh powder overnight and a blue sky off piste day to finish with. I was struggling in bad light though and I was wondering to myself if it might be a balance issue as I get older. I have no balance problems in good light or in my everyday life.

I have had difficulty in maintaining my traditional standard of fitness in recent seasons, largely due to a series of relatively minor, but frustrating injuries and I find my enthusiasm is not quite what it was. I was intending to do another week this season but ended up cancelling.

I have had a few injuries in recent years, the most recent two seasons ago when I was crashed into by a lunatic in Val Thorens. I did damage my shoulder but my physio said that he thought I had dodged a bullet as it could have been a lot worse. I think also that in the last few years I have become more risk adverse particularly when I think of the possible consequences of injury. I think it's a psychological issue as much as anything.

The previous few years I have skied four weeks per season, but I wonder if for all of us there comes a tipping point when you ask yourself whether or not it is time to finish. That will vary from person to person and I was not being as negative at the end of last season as I am at the moment.

I do intend to ski again next season assuming I can get back to what I consider to be a reasonable fitness and will take it from there.

As for the opening post, 60 is nothing!
snow conditions
I often refer to our motley group of ex-pats that live here, and those that spend just the season out here, or do their 90 days etc as Geezonaires, most are in their 70's and I'm one of the youngsters at 65.

But I suspect it's a different mindset between being on a week or two holiday and spending a longer period out in the mountains?

Most of them will get up the hill at 10:30 and have a very relaxing social ski together, stopping an hour or so later for coffee, most do this every day when the weather is good, but as soon as conditions are grim will not venture out.

They are very happy pootling around the piste, whilst some will be more adventurous and seek out inter-piste freshies if it's available.

A few did ski-tour but have hung up their gear now.

I regularly see groups of older ski-tourers and we always have a chat, and as a group of six or so like-minded people it's a very sociable way to ski, chatting going up and then having a nice picnic before transitioning for the descent.

I'm the odd one out along with the OH* (70) as we still push ourselves doing first lifts etc but we only ski the morning and are usually back down for lunch and the dogs etc

I do loads of other stuff and am still very competitive in various situations (like trying to achieve a good Park Run age-grade), and I have other mates who are the same, but we are a stupid minority compared to most.

I have various muscular-skeletal issues due to years of abusing my body, and ironically when it was really grim couple of days ago did an hour stretching and tweaked my knee rolling eyes

A while back on a ski-test had a sesh with the guys from Mojo who talked me into testing one and I was seriously blown away by it and would advocate anyone who is thinking about easing back on their skiing due to aches and pains to invest in one, I'm not quite ready just yet, but it's not too far off me thinks Toofy Grin

So it's a case of each to their own and do what you like.

* she took the opportunity to get out of Dodge and is doing the Malta Half Marathon with one of our daughters tomorrow.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 24-02-24 22:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Skied one week most years for 40 years, now 71. Still absolutely love it. Went to ski school again 3 years ago and this year to help me keep on skiing for a few more years. Each day skiing now seems a bonus.
My skiing is certainly more leisurely, slightly later start, no black runs but lots of fun whatever the weather.
We go to La Tania in the second week of January. Definitely lots of older skiers around then.
I’m fitter than I was when I was working and up the amount of exercise in the weeks before a holiday. And yes, I too stand on one leg when brushing my teeth. I also realised a few years ago that it’s important to have my feet in good condition so always go to the podiatrist before a holiday.
Brandy in my late morning coffee helps too.
snow report
I'm a late starter to skiing, 59, but I find the packing ,travelling , unpacking more tiring than the skiing,
snow report
I'm 73, female and have skied the past few years with the help of Skimojos. Just organising 2 new knees & hoping to get back out to the mountains for many more years. With the help of my beloved "Mojos".
snow conditions
There’s only one rule, it’s a holiday and on holiday you do whatever the hell makes you happy whether that’s a lazy day or getting after it! Enjoy it whatever age you are however that looks.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, Have a great time in the Zillertal.
I'm glad your Parkinson mate is still going...
I've got an old ski buddy who developed Parkinsons, but he's lost it altogether now, which is so sad.

@valais2, I've realised I never thanked you for the lift passes.
We had a great time in C-M, it would have been even better if I didnt give my knee a twist on the first day.
It was amazingly warm & sunny, comfy appartment.
We loved the Zero-Dix, long lunches with my non skiing better half.
snow conditions
I try to ignore all this but have found one benefit, cheaper ski pass in the Arlberg, this year it is born in 1959 or earlier, I qualify by a few weeks! 10% discount so worth having. Unfortunately not everywhere offers the discount. Bizarrely it is now cheaper for me to ski in the Arlberg than SkiWelt! I suspect I dont manage to do as many kms as I used to, though still enjoy bumps as long as not too crazy steep. Knees seem fine but hands not good and have had a couple of prolapsed discs.
ski holidays
Quote:

The previous few years I have skied four weeks per season, but I wonder if for all of us there comes a tipping point when you ask yourself whether or not it is time to finish. That will vary from person to person and I was not being as negative at the end of last season as I am at the moment.

Yes, @richjp, I think that time does come for everyone - and in a way it's perhaps better to be in a position to make that decision for yourself, rather than have it made for you, perhaps by a serious injury or illness. I'm the same age as you and have also found bad visibility increasingly difficult in recent years - one of the days on the pre-Birthday Bash just before Covid I decided to take a walk round the lake instead of going up for skiing I thought I'd not enjoy. Finding the right balance between the bravado of carrying on when it would be wiser to stop, or stopping before you really need to, and not "pushing yourself" even a small way outside your comfort zone, is difficult. Not just in skiing, but in life generally. I think it's important to be self-confident in your own decision-making, and absolutely not influenced by anyone else, whether those who would like you to stop taking all risks, or those who you want to impress by carrying on!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 24-02-24 23:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy