Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after 60

Poster: A snowHead
I’m 60 and been skiing for over forty years and have always loved it . When we were younger we’d be up on an early lift and down on a late one . But in the last few years , weve morphed into people who have a relaxed breakfast and head out at around 11 , skiing through the 2 hour lunch period (it’s quiet then !) before retiring for a hot chocolate and run back at around 3. We have a flat in Champagny and ski around 3 weeks a year as above with occasional longer days to do a trip over to Les Arcs . I have a repaired acl but frankly both of us develop aches if we push harder than this . My question really is do others do the same and is it perfectly feasible that we will be happy skiing like this for many years (subject to health etc ) or have we entered some sort of slippery slope (excuse pun ) where we ski less and less and stop far too early ? Should we fight this desire to ease up a bit , do more at the gym and force ourselves a bit more ? Or are there snowheads out there who have happily been doing what we do for years ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 63 ...much the same, it suits me. Although I did discover the pleasure of first lift this season a couple of times
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski mojo
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should do what ever gives you pleasure. It is your live, your money and your time.

However there is no reason to ease up just because you're 60. It sounds like there is a general lack of fitness in your lives. I'm 59 this year, and for the last 3 years have cycled over 20,000 kms each year. I sometimes ride with people in their late 60s who can easily ride for 4+ hours, and will do 200 kms or more a week.
We ski from about 9.30 am through to close to 4.00 pm, typically covering 65-80 kms in a day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1st lift every day, to get the best snow, and an hour of fabulously quiet pistes. Ski until exhausted each day, take lots of drugs to keep the body going
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely whatever works for you. I am 64, I was skiing pretty hard with a group of 60+ including a seventy nine year old from 10 to 4.30 for six days and dancing on bars a few weeks ago, then I have a mate who does pretty much what you do. The most important thing is that you enjoy the whole package.

I am a great advocate for mixing things up a bit to avoid “same old, same old” ski at different places, different countries, on piste off piste, family groups, friends groups, boys trips (or girls trips), it keeps the interest going.

Fitness helps, as does technique to avoid being worn out
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my ski buddies is 64, he’s technically a good skier, he’s also a late parent , so we sometimes ski with the 17 year olds.
He keeps up with them no problem & on a recent day he recorded 55km of actual ski distance.
I’m sure he’ll admit he’s not the fittest he could be.
To me it shows good technique is vital to continue your skiing days
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As everyone says, do what you enjoy doing.
But
A bit of something not enjoyable (keeping fit & strong) can make the rest of life much more enjoyable.
As a 20 something, being fit & strong was easy, nearly 59 and it is harder work, I couldn't do the offpiste that I do without some fitness training beforehand.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My dad is 77 and that's pretty much the routine. He can get away with the odd day where you do more of conditions are great etc but he tends to pay for it the next day.

The way I see it, 3 or 4 hours out on the slopes is still way more exercise than most people are doing that day.

Ultimately, it's not a competition
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Keeping fit year-round helps me (64) enormously. After I finished work I started running using the Couch to 5k programme. I found it tough but really beneficial. My routine now is to do C25k every spring and keep running a few times a week through the summer. It keeps the weight off too. Despite all this I still don't ski all day - a few hours in the morning when it’s quiet is enough.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everyone is different, luck, genes, lifestyle, expectations. Whatever works for you. I’m 64 and 4 years ago I shattered my hip. That (and the Covid hiatus) ironically gave me impetus to loose weight and improve my fitness. I’m not normally renouned for my application or fortitude, but I have continued with that regime. Mrs SL (who is a little older) and I have always skied a lot - hence the name. We ski around 10 weeks a year, sometimes with friends sometimes just the two of us. When we are by ourselves we usually go out at 9:30 skip lunch and get back to our shoebox at 16:00. We always have the intention to take a day off, but it never seems to happen. A ski friend died last year at the age of 87 prior to that he skied about 5 days a week for the whole season. Contrast that with a number of family members who have died recently in their early 60s and we try and make the most of what we have whilst we have it, but who knows what tomorrow brings. Don’t they say you should not sweat the small things.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boulevardier, I now do the same as you - even took a day off this year !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 63, It certainly gets a bit harder. This year I went skiing for 16 days in three weeks with 2 groups. First group was with folk a little younger than myself second was with wife and friends all of whom are similar age.
I must admit I took it a bit easier in the first week so as I could keep skiing second holiday.
Second holiday we skied generally from morning till near last lift with a decent lunch break though the skiing wasn't particularly taxing, basically cruising the dolomites pistes.
I have knees that react a little badly to skiing. I had put in a fair amount of gym work before hand and use a ski mojo. I must admit from a general body perspective it was not that taxing, however a fortnight later I am just about able to walk downstairs without clutching the bannisters for the first time.
I think everyone is different but I am pretty sure that without significant gym work I would not have managed it. I reckon maintaining fitness is a pretty important part of maintaining enjoyment in life as we grow older and I have never exactly been a dedicated gym bunny for the most part as a look at my physique will testify but I'm making more effort now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are 79 and 74. Until 4 or 5 years ago we had been lucky enough to have our own chalet so apart from February we used to spend most of the winter there with loads of friends and family coming to stay. We have always tended to go out quite early and rarely ski much into the afternoon. This year we have had a week before Christmas and two weeks in January and third trip in three weeks.
I am a very gentle skier, neither of us like crowds nowadays, and my aim each time is to go home in one piece.
It was a great joy back in January to spend a day skiing with our 9 and 11 year old granddaughters - they had done their first skiing staying with us, in fact our daughter spent quite a bit of maternity leave with us.
Just go for it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 24-02-24 11:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
duplicate post

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 24-02-24 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Live your life how you want, but I think it is now accepted fact that it is never too late to start exercising. There is a story of an Irishman who took up rowing on a machine (sounds like a joke!) in his seventies and has the fitness of a 40 year old in his 90s. My understanding though is that it is better to organise your life so that you are moving around all the time, walking and gentle activity rather than going to the gym. The Zoe podcasts are quite informative.
ski holidays
@BertieG, oh yes, forgot to say that the dog and I have just had an energetic uphill walk, and I am going home to do some stretches and use the boring cross trainer thing.
And I can still fit into clothes I have had for years. I really think keeping weight down is a huge help.
latest report
my m.i.l is still skiing, gently (she never skied hard) at 79 ...
latest report
@boulevardier, no problem in what you are doing, skiing is for enjoyment so don't feel an obligation to do something you don't enjoy.

We've often followed your sort of routine this year - with a slight time shift - because of the snow conditions. Out at 10 so the overnight crust is beginning to soften (and we miss the ski school queues) and ski till 2 when the snow gets too slushy to be fun. Doesn't stop us enjoying ourselves.

The only thing I would suggest, since aches seem to be your limiting factor, is doing more exercise that helps your stamina. It doesn't need to be terribly vigorous exercise - if you are skiing with good technique on pistes you know well you shouldn't need massive strength - but helping you keep going. Like long walks or cycle rides. Oh, and take the occasional ski lesson to make sure your technique doesn't get sloppy and put you at risk of an avoidable fall.
latest report
Quote:

I reckon maintaining fitness is a pretty important part of maintaining enjoyment in life as we grow older

The hardest part of growing old (I'm 77 and don't call 60 "old") is getting the balance right. The difficult thing about ageing is finding the right place between being desperate to remain as fit, strong and active as ever, and being depressed about the inevitable impossibility of such a goal, and just giving up and becoming a sad couch potato.

There is a closely related mental component to this need for balance. Growing old with good mental health (some might say "spiritual health") means coming to terms with the inescapable reality of death. "Waiting for the Last Bus" by Richard Holloway is a great read - recommended for anyone struggling with the notion.

More prosaically, @Jonny996 is absolutely right to stress the need for good technique.
snow report
My wife and I are 50. Keep ourselves fit and as most folk say it’s the way to keep those legs in a good shape for skiing.
We really admire folk we see up the mountains 70/80’s years age. And state I hope we will be on the mountain in 30 years.
I stated to my wife even if we only manage a couple of runs in the morning and same in the afternoon with a nice lunch then that’s great when we are older.

Surely it’s about the whole holiday and enjoying the mountains whether it’s cruising or ripping down.

Keep going as long as you can I say as there’s not much skiing in the sky.
snow report
If your ski holiday formula makes you happy, carry on and feel no regrets/guilt.

Fitness can make a huge difference. Unless you truly like the gym or cardio machines, my simple answer is taking regular brisk walks. Sometimes 10,000 steps, although shorter will do the trick. Plus get into yoga and doing other exercises that directly help skiing … squats, the plank and lunges. Cycling’s great too.
snow report
Quote:

Plus get into yoga

Pilates also ideal, but you really need to find the right teacher/level. I bought a rowing machine during lockdown and find 20 minutes rowing, whilst watching something on the telly, is good. Currently watching Michael Palin in Iraq! I have found a beginners Pilates class which I'm really enjoying - taught well it takes total concentration and is demanding without being knackering. I've known some rubbish Pilates teachers in the past!

My balance is deteriorating as I get older - it's very noticeable. Even just stepping over a low wall, or up and down big steps. I'm trying to do more balance exercises, to counteract that. Not particularly for skiing, but just for managing not to fall down stairs!
snow conditions
Quote:

Plus get into yoga

Pilates also ideal, but you really need to find the right teacher/level. I bought a rowing machine during lockdown and find 20 minutes rowing, whilst watching something on the telly, is good. Currently watching Michael Palin in Iraq! I have found a beginners Pilates class which I'm really enjoying - taught well it takes total concentration and is demanding without being knackering. I've known some rubbish Pilates teachers in the past!

My balance is deteriorating as I get older - it's very noticeable. Even just stepping over a low wall, or up and down big steps. I'm trying to do more balance exercises, to counteract that. Not particularly for skiing, but just for managing not to fall down stairs!
ski holidays
@Origen, and others - try juggling, particularly whilst just standing on one foot. If you can’t already juggle learning will improve flexibility having to pick the balls up.
latest report
@Ski lots, just standing on one foot is quite enough, thanks. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

have a relaxed breakfast and head out at around 11 , skiing through the 2 hour lunch period (it’s quiet then !) before retiring for a hot chocolate and run back at around 3. We have a flat in Champagny and ski around 3 weeks a year as above with occasional longer days to do a trip over to Les Arcs .

exactly which bit of this isnt the dream?
snow report
As long as you are doing what you enjoy all is good. Madeye-Smiley
We try to catch the first lifts and mostly ski to about three if we are liking the conditions.
Not a big fan of long lunches as I struggle to get going again after.
Have gave up trying to ski in whiteouts or anything close.
Hotel needs to have decent facility and nosh.
Days of ruffing it are past. rolling eyes
Trying to maintain an ok fitness all year helps
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boulevardier, Don't forget to have a lesson or two. I'm 78, been skiing for 60 years, now with two new knees, but still ski for most of the day. I have a session with an instructor most years.. It's surprisingly easy to pick up bad habits - improving technique makes skiing a lot easier.
latest report
One over 60, one just under. Next trip hubby will be out early and off-piste for much of the 1st week, I'll be keeping out of the way of the morning rush, then maybe going out at 11 for a couple of hours, joining up with him for lunch, or depending on weather and snow conditions, walking dogs etc. I'll head back after lunch if I go out, and prepare dinner, then go for a dip in our pool or use the sauna and steam room. @Ski lots, interesting, i'm sure we had some juggling balls somewhere around the house. I was pretty good at stuff like that when I was a kid.
snow report
deerman wrote:
@boulevardier, Don't forget to have a lesson or two. I'm 78, been skiing for 60 years, now with two new knees, but still ski for most of the day. I have a session with an instructor most years.. It's surprisingly easy to pick up bad habits - improving technique makes skiing a lot easier.

Sounds like an excellent idea, I don't think I've had a lesson since EOSB 2019, and not had a one to one for many years.
snow report
Usually manage one lesson a season, and did one last year just to gain my confidence back after lockdowns and illness thwarted my holidays from 2020-2022.
snow conditions
Read this thread with chin on the floor. On the preBB there were often twenty Snowheads waiting for breakfast to open at 7.30, to be on the first bus at 8.15 odd. Half of them would be 60odd. I skied with a 63 year old heavily into very advanced lessons and hardcore carving. I'll be 60 before the season's out and I'd be miffed if I don't have at least twenty years of quality skiing in front of me. Sixty's young! Go for it.

I do like a good lunch now though snowHead
ski holidays
@Ski Shagger, I suspect there is just as much variation in level of activity between the under 60s too. I've seen the young'uns at the EoSB get up late due to the amount of booze they drank the night before.
ski holidays
This is such a great post to find this morning.
My wife who will be 74 next week had to go around to help a neighbour (who is 91) .
He had fallen over in the kitchen and cracked his head, and probably needs stiches.
His wife rang 111 and the say the wait for an ambulance is about 7 hours today.
A&E is around 10 hours.

He often falls over on trips to the loo anytime of night and my son and I help him get back in a standing stance for his zimmer frame.

So we've had a little window on the future today.

As others have said Pilates is wonderful, but I've given that up at the moments as we've lost our fabulous instructor and the times are difficult for me.

I'm going to Aquacise twice a week.
Which I really love, it seems a bit odd as I'm the only guy in the pool with about 20 ladies.
(I feel a bit like Benny Hill)

Aquacise is great fun and we have two different instuctors, one on Tuesday at 9am and the other on Thursdays.
The Thursday one turns into a dance session about halfway through, samba Brazilian style.

And a yes Mo-jo's for long days skiing.

Oh, I'm just 74
ski holidays
Origen wrote:

The hardest part of growing old (I'm 77 and don't call 60 "old") is getting the balance right. .

I don't think 60 is 'old' but its certainly an age where getting older is very realistic and physical performance reductions steepen without offsetting attempts to improve fitness.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I’d been juggling on and off for years. When my hip started to recover and I felt that there was a bit of a lack of muscle control on the ‘bad’ leg so asked the physio if juggling whilst standing on that leg would help - she just said go for it. So every day I am at home I juggle for at least 100 throws on two legs and then the same on the ‘bad’ leg - a drop means start again. I think it has helped, but it is a good thing even if it hasn’t.
snow conditions
@boulevardier, I suspect having your own place and being there for 3 weeks is having a bigger effect than your age.

Personally, I've never been a morning person so invariably never get out before 10. Then again I always seem to be getting back in the dark.
ski holidays
@boulevardier, first and foremost skiing is supposed to be a recreation not a job. So, if you don’t care to rush in the morning, you don’t have to. And if you don’t want to ski late, by all means quit early.

I’m not a morning person. But I get up early to ski. The snow is usually better in the morning since they got smoothed by the groomer overnight. I quit when the snow got too sloppy, regardless what the clock said. Still, if the condition is good, I’ll go till the lift stops.

Quote:
but frankly both of us develop aches if we push harder than this

I’m fortunate I don’t have physical limitations (a tad older than you), so I could ski till the cows come home!

While I’m reasonably fit, the key of my being able to ski for however long my heart’s desire has a lot more to do with skiing efficiently. I’ve endeavored to taking some lessons specifically on that a few years back. Whilst I used to end my skiing day with various minor aches and pains pre-lesson, I no longer have those any more now. May I suggest you look into that?

Quote:
My question really is do others do the same and is it perfectly feasible that we will be happy skiing like this for many years (subject to health etc ) or have we entered some sort of slippery slope (excuse pun ) where we ski less and less and stop far too early ?

You probably won’t like what I’m about to say. But I think those aches and pains will increase, if you don’t address the root cause of them.

So ask yourself, do you ski shorter days because that’s how you like to ski? Or are you being forced by your physical limitation?

If it’s the former, nothing wrong with that and no need to fight it.

But if it’s the latter, it’ll get worse and you’re better off to address it NOW. Whether it’s hitting the gym or improving your technique, if you hope to ski many more years, you’ll need to do something now. Or you’ll find yourself skiing shorter and shorter days, till you don’t enjoy it any more.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 24-02-24 20:14; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
One of my ski buddies is 62. He seems to be speeding up rather than slowing down Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy