Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after 60

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

though I was careful to acclimatise a bit in the the three stage lift station before I started skiing

I wouldn't call that acclimatisation. However, good for you.

Quote:

Skiing is not particularly intense exercise

Agreed. And then you lose a ski in heavy powder, have to hike up a bit and dig. All rather exhausting.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Avabrunch,
Quote:

I wouldn't call that acclimatisation.

Some is better than none at all. There are signs advising it in the lift station, actually. (I did, however, do several days in Kathmandu before starting to trek in Nepal!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

And then you lose a ski in heavy powder, have to hike up a bit and dig. All rather exhausting.

That's the main reason I don't ski off piste any more. It's not just digging the ski out, it's digging myself out - inadequate upper body strength doesn't help. Embarassed And I grant you that if I were trying to do that at 3,000m plus, I would struggle even more.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Some is better than none at all.

I think 'some' is the same as none at all. I'm ok up to 3,000m but really notice it at say Aiguille du Midi (3800 ish). 3-5 days is what I understand it takes for the body to get used to lower oxygen levels, yet many skiers go straight from sea level to altitude and start exercising. I used to like going to places like Breckenridge but have decided I'm better lower.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@T Bar, Not sure that your assumption that oxygen reduction is not large at European skiing levels at 2100m the effective oxygen is 16.0% compared with 21% at sea level. That’s about a loss of a quarter

https://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html

1/2 oxygen as it is often termed is at 18 thousand feet or 5400m.
In a previous life oxygen started to flow in small amounts into my mask at 8000 ft cabin altitude. At 25k cabin altitude we were fed 100% oxygen, above that was pressure breathing which was vs a laugh a minute.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avabrunch wrote:
Quote:

Some is better than none at all.

I think 'some' is the same as none at all. I'm ok up to 3,000m but really notice it at say Aiguille du Midi (3800 ish). 3-5 days is what I understand it takes for the body to get used to lower oxygen levels, yet many skiers go straight from sea level to altitude and start exercising. I used to like going to places like Breckenridge but have decided I'm better lower.

Agreed, and you don't have to be over 60 to get the Big Headache that pills won't tame.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Avabrunch,
Quote:

really notice it at say Aiguille du Midi (3800 ish).

I haven't been up there in a while. That certainly is high and the climb back up to the lift after doing the Vallee Blanche, would, I think, defeat me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scooter in Seattle,
Quote:

you don't have to be over 60 to get the Big Headache that pills won't tame

Are you talking about altitude sickness? Happily, I don't seem to be prone to that, if my experience in Nepal is anything to go by. Some people half my age and twice my fitness did suffer, its effects seem to be quite random.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think "a little" acclimatisation is better than none. Easiski used to insist on it on the glacier in Tignes, though perhaps that was an excuse for her to have a fag.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, yes, though no symptoms beyond the headache in my cases. I was a semi-ok distance runner in my mid-20's which I assumed would protect me but the mountains didn't give a damn, pounded me over 11,000'. I do live at sea level which obviously maxes the delta.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

its effects seem to be quite random.

this is definitely the case. In our case my OH was hit much harder by altitude than I was, walking up Mount Kenya (never planned to summit, it was just a day trek) though we were living at 1800m in Nairobi. On the way up we met a very fit young British Marine, very disappointed, walking down with his Kenyan guide. They had planned to bivvy and summit, but he had been knocked out by altitude and the guide had recognised the symptoms and insisted they come down. He was far fitter, and more used to mountain climbing, than many people who summit Mount Kenya, just susceptible to the altitude.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
@T Bar, Not sure that your assumption that oxygen reduction is not large at European skiing levels at 2100m the effective oxygen is 16.0% compared with 21% at sea level. That’s about a loss of a quarter

https://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html

1/2 oxygen as it is often termed is at 18 thousand feet or 5400m.
In a previous life oxygen started to flow in small amounts into my mask at 8000 ft cabin altitude. At 25k cabin altitude we were fed 100% oxygen, above that was pressure breathing which was vs a laugh a minute.

I didn't say anything about the oxygen reduction that I'm aware of, I said the altitudes are relatively modest. In reference to your point about oxygen reduction, up to a point the body can compensate very well indeed and at around 2100m the actual content of oxygen in the blood will only change by 2-3% at a guess (I don't have the figures on me) which will affect people with most age related heart disease very little. There are other changes related to the decrease in oxygen that could affect a few types of heart disease somewhat more.

I'm not trying to say there is no effect on altitude and no increased risk but with all the other things that are happening to us as we age I suspect going to any European ski resort represents a pretty low change in our overall risk in this world.

EDIT I noticed I did say something about oxygen you are right but I was meaning the amount your blood is carrying rather than the amount in the air.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 26-02-24 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, the Geezonaires sound a fantastic group ! We need something like this in La Plagne ….
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 63. In my opinion, the more you push yourself, the farther into the future you push-off feeling old. The other thing to consider is that the older you get, the lazier your brain gets, so you may want to consider if if that is part of the issue.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Origen wrote:
I think "a little" acclimatisation is better than none. Easiski used to insist on it on the glacier in Tignes, though perhaps that was an excuse for her to have a fag.

Laughing
latest report
Just turned 62 and try and ski every year. A lifetime of playing football has desensitised me to injuries but I’m aware that a biggie could be around the corner. This is a risk I am well prepared to take for the sheer exhilaration of doing something I love. I’m going to St Anton in just under 3 weeks having booked the holiday nearly a year ago, and the growing sense of anticipation which is now more or less fever pitch has kept me going through some tough times at work.
I don’t play football anymore but walk the dog and swing some kettlebells. Also I’ve found that walking backwards uphill is a thing and quite a good thing for conditioning extra leg muscles and hips. I look like a knob but at my age IDGAF.
I may well pace myself a little slower this time to fit with the mood of the group, but will definitely be encouraging the less confident to get up for the first lift at least a couple of times. Let’s see if my enthusiasm will rub off.. I expect beers aplenty but jaegerbombs and industrial strength schnapps will be limited due to the very considerable after effects. I drink sparingly in real life so this shouldn’t be too hard. The challenge will be to limit lunchtime quantities so I can maximise evening half board feasting. I will probably fail.
My message is enjoy it and ski as hard as you feel happy to. Cliche it may be but the worst day skiing still beats the pants off the best day of nearly anything else.
ski holidays
I do the spin teethbrushing on one leg, too (I also hold the brush in my non-dominant hand sometimes). Some days I do wall sits while I brush my teeth. And I ride the stationary bike backwards every other song during cycle classes. Seems like an easy way to use muscles that ordinarily don't get to play. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
These results show that regular snowsport participation such as skiing and snowboarding, that occur in dynamic and changing environments, may i) protect against age-related proprioception decline, and ii) provide a rehabilitative effect for CAI. Thus, snowsport participation may be beneficial for active healthy aging and fall prevention.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365661128_Age-related_proprioceptive_decline_is_not_seen_in_lifelong_skiing_and_snowboarding_participants_Lessons_for_balanced_active_healthy_ageing
snow report
@GinaMae, skiing is good for you! I love a bit of confirmation bias.
snow report
I'm heading off this weekend with 6 others.

They are 74 - 79!

2 don't ski, haven't for years but do enjoy a nice walk and getting around the mountains on lifts.

3 others ski gently now, mainly blues and greens with a red sometimes. They generally head out about 10ish, coffee at 11.30ish, a long lunch at 13.00ish and a gentle ski back after.

The other one (who's 75) skis everything and all day. He wears me out and I'm 51! He does enjoy the lunch in the middle though.

Oh, and ski mo-jo. One of the group has it and it was a game changer last year.
snow report
Skiing as you get older is about staying fit and having enough technique to do it fairly easily. I am 75 and Mrmogulski is 77. We did 4 weeks in 3V over Xmas/New Year, another 2 weeks late Jan/early Feb (left just before half term) and will be back for 3 weeks late March. We cruise around the whole area, one of our favourite runs is Combe Rosael off the top of Caron into Orelle. Many on here will know we like moguls as we used to judge mogul skiing. We have always been active, both weigh the same as when we met at university, stay fit and intend to continue skiing. We hill walk when not skiing, regularly in Scotland but also all over the world, Nepal being one of our favourite destinations. Being at altitude does not seem to cause us problems.
Do not worry about your age, just keep going.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy