Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extreme Snowboard Carving Serious Safety and Courtesy Issue

Poster: A snowHead
It seems to me that the OP wants to defend himself by saying that the boarder turned across him with a deliberate but unexpected action. Given that the boarder may have made a similar unexpected action as a result of something untoward, e.g. a large rock, who would have been at fault? IMHO the OP was not following rule 4 regardless of whether the boarder completed the movement travelling uphill in contravention of rule 5, by any interpretation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tarrantd, there are two types of psychopathic skier:

The narcissist: who seeks reassurance, that it is the responsibility of the downslope skiers to behave in a predictable manner, considerate of upslope skiers, that they are culpable for the overtaking skier's collision should they engage in any unexpected maneuver - isn't it? Isn't it??

The sociopath: who couldn't care less, that other slope users are nuisances, mobile hazards better hit than hit by.

We only hear from the former.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think he's gone , off to troll elsewhere ,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or she !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It’s a he. Given away by the need to state and prove how good he is at skiing and how tough he is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zikomo, Bit like this 'mansplaning' golfer ??!?!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/23/you-shouldnt-be-doing-that-female-pro-golfer-films-mansplainer-at-driving-range
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have not gone away to troll. I thought the conversation had ended, with my goal not accomplished. Not all conversations go on forever. I don't spend much time chatting on forums, I have responsibilities, obligations etc. that take priority over repeating myself to strangers who are personally attacking me. Since my two like minded thinkers disappeared/abandoned me, and since everyone appeared to feel my personality was an atrocious distraction why would there have been any decrease to the level of contentiousness? Not productive. Especially, once the attacks became personalized and I started hearing a tone akin to a cult l of brothers and sisters. By the way yes I am a man, with all of my apparently innate, "insecure" "biggening up" of myself. hypocritical though, how the same group that called us brothers and sisters seemed to have no compunction about insulting 50% of the planet's population by implying only a man would do so. There was much misguided focus on my not being as good as I think I am which led to the inevitable accusations that I was incapable of stopping and that others could have avoided this. If that were so I would at least say maybe some could have stopped in time but not me, in which case I might not have even brought the subject up in the first place. Be aware it is NOT uncommon at least on many boards other than this to introduce oneself as I did. It is quite the norm elsewhere for anyone to start with for example 24yo intermediate, loves glades, or perhaps 18yo advanced, spend most of time in the park. Certainly calling myself a trees and steeps "fanatic" is not a brag, it speaks only to my enthusiasm and preference for such terrain. I also find my feet hurt for for some reason when i ski mild groomed areas for long. Too much traveling, not enough skiing. By referring to the boarder as basically a moron I was perhaps personalizing the impersonal, maybe causing others to want to leap to his defense. First of all he seemed pretty skilled so I wasn't criticizing him there. Second of all he may be the nicest kid in the world. He could be the next Jonas Salk. He just made a mistake by accusing me condescendingly of being at fault. You know what I said to him when we hit? "Sorry, man." Not because I was at fault, but for simple manners. Nobody was hurt so I wasn't really angry. His behavior is what made me very angry. I see since I left there is a broader consensus that new equipment may merit a re-look at the blanket onus being placed upon the skier who is uphill, seemingly regardless of how far off to the side. I thinks the simplest question re this was already asked by me and others. When you cross a run the onus is upon you to look and defer to those uphill of you, so why not when you start skiing sideways for a genuine distance perpendicular to the flow of traffic. If I an in front of someone who is remotely within range of me, and I an crossing past to a different run for instance I literally use my arm to signal that I am turning up in front of them. if I am off to the side and gaining on someone who I intend to pass I will say every time, "on your left" or "on your right." The other thing that I found to be probably the most wasteful in the conversation was hearing people cherry pick a mantra from a list of rules written at a different time to shut me down. That is just lazy overly submissive thinking. Yes, rules and order matter very much, but they have to be applicable and accurate to merit protection from questioning. Finally, I an around if there is a specific comment addressing me directly. But not if it includes and direct insult to my gender or my country.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wibble
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bumpybrandy wrote:
Since my two like minded thinkers disappeared/abandoned me

Sad

Are we going to have a lovers' tiff here? You abandoned me! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pyramus, You could arrange to meet up and take turns skiing into each other.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
"If you're going to do something different to what you've been doing, its a good idea to signal to people behind you that you're about to do it and just point where you're going, like if you're going to go all the way across the trail to another run, point at it"

Now this is an interesting idea. And rather than just finger pointing, pole pointing will be way more effective. Nice idea. Just better be careful you don't poke someone's eye out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pyramus, They shouldn't be close enough for that Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MorningGory, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pyramus wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
"If you're going to do something different to what you've been doing, its a good idea to signal to people behind you that you're about to do it and just point where you're going, like if you're going to go all the way across the trail to another run, point at it"

Now this is an interesting idea. And rather than just finger pointing, pole pointing will be way more effective. Nice idea. Just better be careful you don't poke someone's eye out.

Isn't that one a bit obvious? If I'm going straight and want to turn across the piste I just hold my pole out in preparation for planting it and hold it for a couple of seconds so it's obvious what I'm about to do.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 24-02-24 18:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@bumpybrandy, wrote "But not if it includes and direct insult to my gender or my country"

You are quite right -- This is supposed to be a friendly forum ; there was no need for the comments on your country or gender.....
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@bumpybrandy, wrote "But not if it includes and direct insult to my gender or my country"

You are quite right -- This is supposed to be a friendly forum ; there was no need for the comments on your country or gender.....

This is sometimes anything but a friendly forum. A pack mentality is prevalent with certain cliques to the fore.
It’s nearly always a useful forum but nothing like as friendly as it should be. Some throw around insults like typical keyboard warriors and I’ve little doubt that in real life in person discourse they wouldn’t behave the same way.
snow report
Yup. I think the words "supposed to be" are rather optimistic. There are loads of either 1) quite nasty people, or 2) people willing to say anything to promote their own business interests.

Agree with @jirac18, it still has it's uses but unfortunately isn't very friendly.
snow report
"if I am off to the side and gaining on someone who I intend to pass I will say every time, "on your left" or "on your right." "

Oh dear - back to the pole clicking debate Laughing
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:

Surely must be a parody account?

Now 100% confirmed.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, because?
snow report
So who had Jonas Salk in the sweepstake?

Not me, I only had Steve Jobs and Jan Molby.
latest report
I don’t think I insulted his country, but that’s a straw man.

The only thing that we can control on the slopes is our own behaviour and actions.

It makes not a jot of difference how much OP goes on about rule 5 etc and educating snowboarders, the only thing he can realistically do to prevent something like this happening again (presuming that is what he wants) is to stop wasting time blaming the snowboarder, whether warranted or not, and concentrate on what he would do differently next time.

IMV if you go into someone from above then it was preventable by your actions, not least of which is that you could have stopped and given them right of way.

As an experienced skier OP has had ~40 years to learn that snowboarders move in different and sometimes unpredictable ways on the slopes, and have different fields of view to skiers. The only practical way that we can deal with that is by being mindful of it at all times and making allowances, because we certainly aren’t going to change it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy