Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Rucksack Design - your input required!

Poster: A snowHead
@Origen, The Government census is the best one, nosey beggars! I'm a white caucasian male Christian that hates religion and never goes to church.....hope that helps them putting me in a pigeon-hole, along with about 15 or so million others similar in UK. We were in Malawi in late '90's and we checked into a hotel in the capital Lilongwe after arriving from Jo'burg and I was told I had to wear a tie for dinner (because it was posh and the last person to come here from UK was Maggie Thatcher etc) I had a tee shirt with a school tie on and told them I was Christian in faith also required before we could check-in, kept them happy and the steak (horse I think) was awful, maybe they needed to focus on more important things. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks to those kind enough to have filled in the questionnaire and help out a hard working student. The submissions can be seen directly by him and I will share constructive feedback from this thread too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Origen wrote:
Certainly body shape is relevant - too many everyday products have been designed by men, for men. I don't blame the questionnaire's author for thinking about what gender people want to declare - though I do blame him for deciding that nobody over 54 could possibly want to go skiing!

Absolutely body shape is important, but how you identify does not change your biological body shape and it is this that is relevant to the questionnaire IMHO. As such being able to declare none binary is a problem. It should be changed to "Which body shape best describes you" with the options of male/female, with maybe an explanation to try and stop the woke activists from being offended. Though I am sure they still will. This is one of those occasions where your "feelings" don't trump facts. You don't have a non-binary section of clothing in Mark and Spencers for example.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jabuzzard, more and more people identify their gender as something other than the binary 'Male/Female' and so these options are presented and collected. Less about 'woke activism' and more about commercially valuable data collection.

Unisex clothing is what you would call 'non-binary' and is absolutely catered for by plenty of retailers. Certain retailers offer 'genderless' lines also, as more and more people reject typical gender norms and seek out clothing specifically designed to avoid them.

OP, I have filled out the questionnaire. Best of luck to your lad with his project.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If people are to respond positively to a questionnaire they need to feel they are being catered for. Some who is non-binary, being constantly asked whether they are male or female, must feel excluded. Like I was very firmly excluded by the first question and therefore couldn't fill in the questionnaire. Though I normally do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you - really appreciate your input. Also re the non-binary question, it is a requirement of the ethics policy of all institutions of higher education in the uk to be be inclusive, so had to be in there whether one “agrees” or not. I also like your point about unisex clothing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Origen, do you mean the age range? He has updated it now. Your input would be appreciated!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about a rucksack which fires poison darts at the sound of pole-clicking from behind? Sort of reverse sonar tracking device.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AL9000, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alipret wrote:
@Origen, do you mean the age range? He has updated it now. Your input would be appreciated!

Good job no one skis over aged 64 then....... Puzzled

Although they probably know what sex they are.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@king key, there are different levels of ethics checks for questionnaires. My son told me he is not allowed to collect data from anyone under 16 or anyone over 64 as they are considered vulnerable. He is not being ageist or woke just complying with legal ethical requirements. I’m sorry if it offends you - it’s not intentional, just rules.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Origen wrote:
If people are to respond positively to a questionnaire they need to feel they are being catered for. Some who is non-binary, being constantly asked whether they are male or female, must feel excluded. Like I was very firmly excluded by the first question and therefore couldn't fill in the questionnaire. Though I normally do.

Surely you’re not a day over 50?

I am always under 25 if the survey doesn’t cater to my age especially if only asked at the end after filling in the whole thing, as assume it was relevant to the questionnaire so hope it stuffs up the data. I had no idea about this stupid vulnerability aspect. Its only a survey for goodness sake. I suppose those who make up the rules arent over 64 and are turned into soylent green immediately on reaching that age.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 24-02-24 10:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ster, agree that 64 is too young to be excluded.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phew, this too “ There is no obligation to partake in this survey and there is no adverse consequences if you decide not to participate.”

Another rule to have to say? rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I believe so - he is bound by the university’s ethics committee rules and they will be informed by an overarching ethics framework. Massive overkill for a survey about a skiing rucksack but he will bound by the same rules that cover projects researching victims of abuse or the terminally ill.
ski holidays
Quote:

he is bound by the university’s ethics committee rules

Of course - and learning about the ethics of research must be a vital part of what he's doing. It's silly to query that statement.

Somebody already made the point that the "sample" for this survey will not make much sense but no doubt he has to say something about his sample, its strengths and weaknesses. That's what the project is really about, not making a rucksack!

Many products are inadequately researched - I have an ice cream maker with some howling design deficiencies. It does make ice cream, but could be easier to use and clean.
snow report
@Origen, thanks for this. I appreciate that many in this forum are not his “target audience” and perhaps posting here was not ideal but I want to help him and had the login. His questionnaire is admittedly a fairly blunt instrument but his opportunities to trial it on families who ski from his base in Nottingham with no money or time to go on a skiing holiday and speak to families in person means he has to make do. It’s all a learning curve, his degree is product design not market research which itself is a whole expert discipline. I appreciate all feedback and hope you will feel more inclined to complete the survey whatever its limitations
snow report
Quote:

Many products are inadequately researched

I have a vacuum cleaner that's got a design award and prominently displays that award on it. Clearly designed by a product designer, and not an engineer, who would make it actually function in the intended way. Shame that any time you pull it along it flips upside down, and can't get past a door or any bit of furniture without getting caught. Basically, it sucks, but not in the way one would expect it to Wink
It does look pretty though.

I've still only ever seen 1 student questionnaire that was actually any use. It basically asked 1 question without any self-selecting statistics, hidden in amongst 3 other questions, where the person responding couldn't really deduce what the researcher wanted to show or prove/disprove, and therefore couldn't answer in a biased way.
latest report
@andy, I’ve often thought that many of my domestic appliances have a grudge against me - totally with you on the hoover that won’t budge so you tug at it and it then comes hurtling towards you at the last minute…
latest report
@king key,

Quote:

I'm not a snowflake, the question is irrelevant, ask a sensible question, I'll give a sensible answer. I also wouldn't bother answering if it asked what my star sign is or my favourite song.

And yet it was
Quote:

"Non-binary" Really? I stopped filling it in there

Not '"Woman" Really? I stopped filling it in there'. Funny that you had an outburst at the answer rather than the question and then pretended it was in fact the question that you took offence to. Wouldnt want to be a 'snowflake' on a ski forum now would we Laughing
ski holidays
If not bothering to fill in a voluntary questionnaire past the second or third question is considered an "outburst" then you and I have very different interpretations of the word.

As does the dictionary.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/outburst
snow report
Fortunately most English language dictionaries are descriptive of use rather than prescriptive. Perhaps it hasn't caught up with my usage yet (or perhaps your post was meant to be read totally monotone without any emotion), but that's ok either way, it's fine for us to have different definitions of the word. A little like how the answers on the question are descriptive of the population.

Apologies to @alipret for sidetracking us somewhat. I do agree with others that I think the survey is a little focused, it feels like there's already a solution in mind. I've completed it nonetheless and best of luck with the next steps, but perhaps a more open format type discussion might be helpful as an outcome. Narrow down the target market and see what they want beyond this form.
ski holidays
@Mounta1nGoat, thanks for completing it and for the constructive feedback - it is appreciated
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy