Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone wasn't allowed to board with helmet hanging outside hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Flying to Munich with BA/Lufthansa, hand luggage only.

Strained a muscle in my back so have to take a smaller hard case 4 wheeler, normally fly with CabinMax backpack that fits helmet inside nicely.

I often see lots of skiers boarding with helmet attached to backpack, but never tried it myself - is there a chance I can be told to put it inside, don't think I will manage with this 20cm deep case ...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nnnnnn, BA and Lufthansa have very different hand luggage policies (Lufthansa's is stricter). But I've travelled Lufthansa many times with a helmet clipped to my rucksack, and never had anyone bat an eyelid. You'll be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BA are fine with helmets clipped onto hand luggage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They know you will just put it on your head if they object.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Rich says, wear it if they deny it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought of it but can see them easily referring to some made-up airline rule of no helmets on the head due to safety of other passengers or something like this.

Probably overthinking it, will try even though I found I can actually fit it into 20cm hard case .. but laptop screen will probably not survive
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never had a problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never had a problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TUI were allowing helmets on board two week ago..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never leave my helmet hanging out - its a precious thing .... Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I usually chuck mine into the hold, but with mainstream airlines these days it's one legally sized [ie: big] cabin bag, plus one "personal item".
That second thing could be a helmet with your goggles in it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
phil_w wrote:
I usually chuck mine into the hold, but with mainstream airlines these days it's one legally sized [ie: big] cabin bag, plus one "personal item".
That second thing could be a helmet with your goggles in it.

I would argue very strongly that putting your helmet into the hold is how shall I put it "imprudent". Basically, you have no idea whether the helmet would have suffered an impact/crush event that would have fatally compromised its protection. Having watched an aeroplane being unloaded many years ago while sitting on the tarmac and the suitcases being thrown around it has informed my packaging when going on a plane.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Basically, you have no idea whether the helmet would have suffered an impact/crush event

OFFS. It's a helmet. Despite whatever the makers tell you, they can withstand multiple knocks, unless you buy one made of recycled egg shells. For example, I've had two crashes on the motorbike with the same helmet, both of which I bashed my bonce on something, which I then proceeded to use for the next 8 years without any issues.

My ski bash-hat has also been knocked multiple times and I'm still here. It's probably about time I got a new one, I bought it well over 15 years ago, maybe it's the stickers holding it together, I don't know!

Yes. I know someone will come up with his mates dogs uncle having broken his helmet after falling over somewhere, but really most of this is just scare mongery from the manufacturers that want you to buy a brand new shiny helmet every year and thus increase their profit year on year.

The worst thing that can happen to a bit of plastic/fiberglass/polycarb, is that it gets left out in the sun all the time.

Sorry, rant over!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the op @nnnnnn, was enquiring about how likely it is that they can get away with taking a helmet in addition to hand luggage. A question I would also been keen to know. Flew Newcastle to Salzburg with Jet2 a couple of weeks ago and only noticed one passenger with helmet strapped to their backpack. I didn’t get the chance to ask about their experience but found Jet2 keen to get boarding over quickly and some passengers had some very large pieces of hand luggage. I am flying with Ryanair Manchester to Turin in 3 weeks and will probably need to take my helmet on the plane attached to my personal item, a 15ltr backpack so would be keen to now anyone’s experience. Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="gixxerniknik"]
Quote:

The worst thing that can happen to a bit of plastic/fiberglass/polycarb, is that it gets left out in the sun all the time.

Sorry, rant over!

That is dangerous and factually incorrect advice. The various materials that helmets are made of are liable to suffer fatal weakening from impacts that are not visible to the naked eye. Sure getting the odd minor knock is not going to be a problem. However, the treatment of hold luggage can be extreme and you have absolutely no idea what your hold luggage has been subjected to. For example, I have just got back from Switzerland and the plank of wood I strap my skis to protect them from shipping damage is badly split. Also the plastic food container in my suitcase that I use to give some protection to my transceiver was shattered. Both those would have taken some considerable force to achieve and could easily have done invisible damage to a helmet rendering it unsafe.

Just because you have gotten away with something stupid does not make it a sensible course of action and recommending it to others is irresponsible.
latest report
Surrounded by various clothing and kit a helmet will suffer no impact problems in hold luggage. Just pack them sensible to avoid the danger of that.

And put your skis in sportubes if you are worried. I do. Because we have expensive skis.

Seems simple to me. If you value it, protect it.
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
Surrounded by various clothing and kit a helmet will suffer no impact problems in hold luggage. Just pack them sensible to avoid the danger of that.

Please stop with the dangerous factually incorrect advice. The only way to be sure your helmet does not suffer impact damage in the hold would be to pack it in a rigid case. The flight back from Zurich yesterday was obviously pretty brutal on the hold luggage as I saw a smashed up ridged suitcase on the belt.

I don't use a sportube for my skies for two reasons. Firstly back in the day when I purchased my first set of skis they didn't fit carving skis so I came up with my own solution. Secondly I cross pack into my skis in case an item of luggage goes missing. Sportubes are rubbish for that.
snow report
My helmet is always attached to a CabinZero upper handle.
Had no problem so far with Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Wizz, TUI (Crystal), ITA, El Al (not a ski destination for SHs), and Bulgaria Air.
I once smuggled a big Genepi bottle in my suitcase and it arrived shattered. No point in packing my helmet there with all the space it takes when I can use it to further hurt my back and hold my goggles' hard shell
snow conditions
My wife checked her ski helmet in once, against my advice. It was inside a jacket and fleece in a soft DaKine roller bag.
When she unpacked it there as a huge dent in the shell and a crack in the EPS core.
Straight in the bin and we've strapped them outside carry on ever since.
ski holidays
@jabuzzard,
Quote:

The only way to be sure your helmet does not suffer impact damage in the hold would be to pack it in a rigid case

This. Maybe that's what he meant.
latest report
gixxerniknik wrote:
Quote:

Basically, you have no idea whether the helmet would have suffered an impact/crush event

OFFS. It's a helmet. Despite whatever the makers tell you, they can withstand multiple knocks, unless you buy one made of recycled egg shells. For example, I've had two crashes on the motorbike with the same helmet, both of which I bashed my bonce on something, which I then proceeded to use for the next 8 years without any issues.

My ski bash-hat has also been knocked multiple times and I'm still here. It's probably about time I got a new one, I bought it well over 15 years ago, maybe it's the stickers holding it together, I don't know!

Yes. I know someone will come up with his mates dogs uncle having broken his helmet after falling over somewhere, but really most of this is just scare mongery from the manufacturers that want you to buy a brand new shiny helmet every year and thus increase their profit year on year.

Sorry, rant over!

Just a couple of points of order:

1. it is not "scare mongery" by the manufacturers but an EU directive. Because a ski helmet is classed as PPE, a lifetime and conditions of retirement are mandated in the standard.

2. The sun is NOT the worst thing that can happen to your helmet, that would be an impact that weakens the structural integrity in a manor that decreases the helmets ability to absorb impact in a future collision, especially is that damage is not visible to the naked eye.
snow report
nnnnnn wrote:
I thought of it but can see them easily referring to some made-up airline rule of no helmets on the head due to safety of other passengers or something like this.

Easyjet were being massively militant in Liverpool last spring and stood with the card machine at boarding and getting 65 quid out of about 1 in 3 passengers as their bags weren't quite small enough. They didn't check when you checked in and could have done something about it (like put stuff in hold bags) so folk were quite miffed and it got quite heated at times! Despite the very strict enforcement of the rules, they were fine with helmets hanging off bags so you'll be fine.

They did let me wear my ski boots to board the plane though, which saved me 65 quid but I can't imagine is a great plan or one the Captain would have been happy about. Not the best footwear in case of an emergency evacuation. I did change as soon as I got to my seat...
latest report
@Dashed, I think that's their default position now, I got my carry on checked on both flights the other week. I did have to remove some headphones to put them in a coat pocket ...and then it all went in the overhead lockers anyway.
latest report
@galpinos,
Quote:

2. The sun is NOT the worst thing...

That's just what I'm disagreeing with. Bashing a bit of plastic every now and then isn't really that bad, but combined with degeneration from sunlight it might be. Plastics harden under sunlight quite dramatically. Are you telling me if I fall wearing my back protector I should go and buy a new one, surely the same principal applies? rolling eyes

EU directive? We all know how much sense some of those make! Shocked

What else is so fragile that you don't want to put it in the hold...avalanche transceiver? Goggles? Sunglasses? How about ski boots, or bindings? Puzzled

@jabuzzard,
Quote:

The only way to be sure your helmet does not suffer impact damage...

...would be to leave it at home surely? Laughing

Yes, I do wear a helmet when skiing/boarding. It goes in the soft hold bag with goggles inside, along with just about everything else that doesn't go in the soft ski bag.
snow conditions
@gixxerniknik, you seem to be missing the point, the shell of the helmet has little to do with it's performance, so the effects of UV aren't critical...or at least not unless you leave it on the window call all year round or you've had it for a length of time that it should be replaced anyway.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, you're probably right, conversations move. But I thought I was kind replying to the people that insist on taking the bash hat on as hand luggage because it's far too likely to get broken if in the hold.
ski holidays
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but what's the period after which it's recommended a helmet be replaced? I wasn't aware of this recommendation. Embarassed
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, I believe that the generally-accepted advice with helmets is that if they take a bad knock, they should be replaced. Question is how to define “bad”.

I certainly did that with my bike helmet after I departed the bike via the handlebars and used the helmet as the main landing gear. It actually did not look “too” bad, but decided it was not worth the risk.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but what's the period after which it's recommended a helmet be replaced? I wasn't aware of this recommendation. Embarassed

Typically, the advice is to replace every 5 years, but how long is a piece of string. Do you ski 1 week a year or 100+ days per year?

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/stories-guides/cross-country-skiing/advice-when-to-change-ski-helmet

https://www.headsdontbounce.com/ski-snowboard-helmets/how-long-ski-helmets-last/

https://snowlink.com/how-long-does-ski-snowboard-helmet-last/
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, thank you
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, you're probably right, conversations move. But I thought I was kind replying to the people that insist on taking the bash hat on as hand luggage because it's far too likely to get broken if in the hold.

Nobody said it was far too likely to get broken. The issue is that it can suffer invisible damage that would render it unable to protect you in the event of an impact. As such putting a helmet in the hold is extremely foolhardy and advising people that it is perfectly safe is dangerous advice.
snow report
Can someone help me out with this "invisible damage"? If I drop my helmet, do I need to throw it away and buy a new one? Seems if a helmet cannot survive being mishandled in checked baggage, then it is a crap helmet and shouldn't ever be used.
snow report
Easy solution of concerned. Boots/ WHSmith or similar bag such as you get in the airport, helmet in that with any snacks/ papers etc. carry on in hand.
latest report
jabuzzard wrote:
[..As such putting a helmet in the hold is extremely foolhardy and advising people that it is perfectly safe is dangerous advice.
-shrug- my 400mm lens is way more fragile and expensive than a helmet, and yet it flies in the hold no problem!

If you can't work out how to carry stuff safely in the hold, you could ask. Dangerous my ass
latest report
phil_w wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
[..As such putting a helmet in the hold is extremely foolhardy and advising people that it is perfectly safe is dangerous advice.
-shrug- my 400mm lens is way more fragile and expensive than a helmet, and yet it flies in the hold no problem!

If you can't work out how to carry stuff safely in the hold, you could ask. Dangerous my ass

Interesting I have a Gog-box which is a hard plastic case for goggles imported from the USA. I am on my second because the first got smashed in a suitcase in the hold, though the goggles survived. As someone else in the thread pointed out their wife's helmet was caved in after being put in the hold. Like I said when I got back from Zurich on Saturday a ridged hard suitcase was going around the baggage belt smashed up with a huge crack in it and held together with tape with markings from the airport saying it had been damaged in transit.

So unless you put your helmet in a ridged box in the hold (I have done that in the past) there is nothing you can do to be sure that the helmet is not going to suffer significant impacts and/or crushing. I would at this point note that this will not necessarily protect it if the impact is severe enough, just let you know that it has suffered a significant impact. As this could fatally compromise its ability to protect you in an impact but be invisible to the naked eye putting your helmet in the hold is reckless idiocy and advising others that it is safe to do so is dangerous advice. If you want to risk your life then so bit it, telling others that it's just fine is not Ok.

Unfortunately for a range of reasons, people are frequently unwilling to accept they might be wrong. Clearly, you fall into this category as does everyone else saying there is no problem putting helmets in the hold.
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:

A damaged lens isn’t going to not protect you head now is it?
ski holidays
I think everyone would agree a helmet with a large crack is a problem. The question is whether a helmet in checked baggage that came out with no cracks is an issue?
latest report
I bought a nice metal cabin case that I also used to check in. I did fly a lot mind you, but my metal case is all bashed to bits and I’ve panel beaten it a few times. Bought after watching my canvas samsonite case On a runway getting soaked

It is a Hartmann 7R master so not a flimsy thing.

Luggage in the hold does take a battering
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy