Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Mojo user from Colorado, questions

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Honestly I'm surprised by zikomo's comment - legwear for skiing has always been called salopettes (if they have shoulder straps) or ski pants if they don't IME. I don't think anyone I have skied with has described them as "ski trousers".

And, I with the exception of some posters on this forum have never heard them called "pants" in the UK. I think we can let it rest at that. Different people have different terms for things and different ways to phrase things.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to add to the confusion. Any warm things you wear on your legs to ski tend to be called "salopettes" in my family, though I don't think any of them have bibs, and very few have straps/braces. I would NEVER normally refer to a pair of denim jeans, for example, as "pants". But I might well say "ski pants" And I would also say "ski trousers".

This tolerance of different ways to describe the same thing can be attributed to my easy cosmopolitan sophistication. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/VT-zZpc0rRg
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We call then Sallopettes too
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Trousers is what I've always called them and although clearly most Brits would understand Ski Pants I don't think I've ever heard anyone (British) use that term instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that there is an age thing going on here, the term salopettes was used in the early days of ski wear, before hard shells and the like.

I'm just looking at the 2024/2025 Scott Workbook for Softgoods (Clothing & Gloves) and they use the word Pant as opposed to Pants.

So their top of the range is a "Scott Line Chaser Gore-Tex 3 layer men's Pant".

And I wear a hardshell pant with bib n'braces and that is referred to as a bib-pant and you will see these being worn as nigh on a fashion item in apres bars by people who maybe hardly ski and my daughter said she saw them being worn in a bar in Shoreditch!

If you look at younger profile brands such as Montec / Dope it's all pants & bibs.

And if you were to Google "ski fashion 2024" Cool

For Spring ski touring I refer to the legwear I've been using as my trousers as that is what they primarily are, and in the Summer do we wear hiking pants or hiking trousers Puzzled

Further Edit

Just heard that the Millenial Seasonaire generation sometimes refer to them as "sallies"

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 6-02-24 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
I think that there is an age thing going on here, the term salopettes was used in the early days of ski wear, before hard shells and the like.

Well yes, and it's still used... for salopettes. Is it possible that some people are failing to realise the difference?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And going back to the subject of the ski Mojo..

As @KenX, mentioned on the previous page, we spent some time with Martin from Ski Mojo, in fact rather a long while Laughing

And the next morning there I was being fitted by Martin to test the Mojo.

I will be writing that test/review up but coming at it from a slightly different angle as to what the Mojo can do for the knees, as the Mojo is not a medical product they can't say certain things but a 3rd party interview and anecdotal evidence can.

I asked Martin for a short, succinct, simple layman's paragraph about what the Mojo is, as my analogy was that it was a sort of "telescopic suspension like an air rifle with continual F1 ERS power" was way too complex and confusing.

This is his one-liner

Spring-Loaded Knee-supports that act as Exoskeleton taking 1/3 of the load of the legs and knees – The skiing equivalent of the e-bike.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And once again diverting to the "salopettes", "trousers", and "pants" debate..
1992-first ski trip-most people (other than those in C&A one piece ski suits) called their leg wear salopettes-but only if what they were wearing had braces and probably a bib section. I most definitely had trousers: being female, what I regarded as salopettes required far too much faffing for visits to the loo for starters.

Have occasionally lapsed and referred to ski pants, but, in a world where American english is creeping into British english, I call them trousers-cos that is what they are and people would think it strange if I said "pants" (which are a. what I wear under my trousers and thermals, and b.pretty much how I have felt this season so far not being able to ski after I broke my arm... Very Happy).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam,

Scott isn't a British brand so maybe it pays to look at the material of a UK brand like Mountain Equipment.

All there legwear is described as "pant" or "salopette" and the difference appears to be down to whether or not said item has a bib (i.e., straps but no bib = "pant").

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-waterproof-legwear

either way, not a trouser in sight Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, RAB is Pants Laughing

https://rab.equipment/eu/mens/all-legwear?

Though interestingly in the left-hand navigation it actually says trousers to get to that link above rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Actually no, completely illogically - as you have discovered - we call them ski pants too! Laughing I've never heard them called ski trousers.

Ski Trousers is the term used in the UK. Pants are underwear here. Salopettes are also used for those without the bib and braces though strictly incorrect.

Historically, the term salopettes was used for the outermost legwear when skiing IMHO. However these days you get them that are more like a pair of trousers than the traditional high-waisted complete with braces apparel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mogulman1, I'm pleased that you are finding the Mojo's so useful.
They are a huge phaaf to put on to start with but you get used to it.

I can understand your situation, when your putting your boots on in the car park.
Over here, its quite unusal to drive to the piste. We tend to get fitted up in the hotel boot room.

I've encountered the problem in the car park at Lake Louise when trying to get the Mojo to clip onto the boots when it was blowing a "hooly" and felt like -30c.

It used to take me about 20 minutes to get into the Mojos and trousers, but I've got it down to about 5 minutes now.

They improved my skiing though and I can keep going nearly all day.
But there are times when I don't use them

Tips:
1) I found it handy to put a bit of gaffer tape on the right Mojo so I can tell port from starboard.
2) I didnt realise that the bit that goes under your bum, only goes under my bum.
(at first I made it into a full belt Shocked )
3) I only realised last week that the bum strap easily detached from the mojo legs by pressing the brass sliders.
(I've only been using them for about 7 or 8 years I think.)
4) Get a baggy pair of ski pants (or what ever you want to call them)

I think Martin (MrMojo) could design a range of zippy seamed pants to make life easier.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah. I've been using them for a few weeks now. It's getting better. I'd rather wear them inside my trousers, but it seems rather hard to do unless I drop my trousers in the parking lot.

In order to get the Mojos onto my boots, I have to disconnect the upper Velcro and disconnect the tops with the brass button. So if I put the Mojos on underneath my trousers, then I have to mess around in my trousers in the parking lot.

If I wear them on the outside of my trousers, then I can put the harness before I leave home. Put my boots on in the parking lot and then attach the Mojos on the outside.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you wear them on the outside you could put on Mojo Velcro bits in "Snow Leopard" colours.
ski holidays
Mogulman1 wrote:
Yeah. I've been using them for a few weeks now. It's getting better. I'd rather wear them inside my trousers, but it seems rather hard to do unless I drop my trousers in the parking lot.

In order to get the Mojos onto my boots, I have to disconnect the upper Velcro and disconnect the tops with the brass button. So if I put the Mojos on underneath my trousers, then I have to mess around in my trousers in the parking lot.

If I wear them on the outside of my trousers, then I can put the harness before I leave home. Put my boots on in the parking lot and then attach the Mojos on the outside.

That sounds like you have not got them setup properly to me. At least mine which were fitted by an authorized SkiMojo fitter are easy enough to be fitted while wearing them under the trousers/pants/salopettes, including in the car park. To be honest, if you wear them over rather than under you won't be able to get the snow gaiters, to fit properly on your boots. My guess is that you need to extend the lower sections a few extra millimetres till you can fit them.
snow conditions
Mogulman1 wrote:

I've used mine for around 4 years now. Fabulous bit of kit. One hinge broke in resort and I thought the holiday was over, but was able to replace the broken part in the local ski shop. Mojo fixed the old one for free on return home to the UK Very Happy

I never have issues attaching the Mojo to the boots with the velcro straps done up. I'm not sure why you are having problems?
One solution - I always atttach the rods to the boot (off-centred outside peg) with the boots UNCLIPPED. I've found that having having the boots clipped up makes it extremely difficult to get the rod to engage easily, and correctly.
Try this the next time and let me know how you get on?

BTW- Mojo do recommend wearing the gear under the salopettes/ ski pants/ pants/ leggings/ ski trousers but definitely not just speedos, to protect the various mechanisms.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:

I think Martin (MrMojo) could design a range of zippy seamed pants to make life easier.

Or you could just buy one of the many pairs from many manufacturers that already come like this. Most of mine have been chosen for this feature over the years, and yes, the odd time I need to remove my mojo to drive I will unclip the top and remove the rest - helped by the fact that I don't use any strapping round the thighs, but that's more down to leg shape and size than anything else.

One other tip, and I may have mentioned this before, is that I use the optional 'suspender' belt that goes around the waist, but then clip this cross-wise to the hip strap, which for me works loads better to stop them slipping down when they're not clipped onto your boots. I note that the website now lists an alternative suspender option that goes all the way up and over shoulders
ski holidays
Hi @Chaletbeauroc, Thanks, but I have never come across any zipped seam ski pants.
I just searched with google and sure enough they do exist, I've just never seen a pair, on a Norwegian Web Site.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Just checked my 3 currently-in-use pairs: the lightweight Peak Performance and the heavyweight Patagonia ones both unzip completely. The medium weight Marmot ones do not, but I only bought those because someone was selling them locally, brand new, Gore-Tex, for just ten Francs.
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, With a bargain like that you can't go wrong.
I've just bought a pair of Eleven8 ski pants.
I've had to modify them quite a bit with a loacal seamstress.
I had to have them shortened by 3"
Then I had to get a bib & brace fitted off some old overalls of mine, but that did not quite work out.
So they are being modified yet again.
perhaps I'll get her to fit zips all the way down on my next visit.

I've got a pair of the "suspenders" for the mojo's but I've never used them yet.
Nor have I fitted the "Snow Leapord" knee bits. Perhaps one day when the velcro has given up.
ski holidays
So I have about 15 days on my Mojos now.

Two methods of getting ready seem to work for me.

Outside pants: put on my pants and harness before I leave the house. In the parking lot at the resort, put on my boots loose and attach Mojos to my boots first and then Velcro to my legs and harness. Walk into the lodge and finish buckling up.

Inside pants: remove top Velcro straps. Put on harness and Mojos, and then ski pants, right before I leave the house. It's a little tricky getting the Mojos to slide out the bottom of my ski pants, so I roll up my pants above my calf. Drive to resort. Loosely put on boots in the parking lot. Attach Mojos to back of boots (a little tricky but I've gotten better). Then walk into the lodge and tighten everything up.

I did lengthen my upper arms on my Mojos by one notch. Not sure if this effects how well the Mojos will work, but they don't seem to slide down on me as much and the harness stays put a little better when I'm skiing.

Still not sure if I like the Mojos on the inside or outside. Inside seems to be less chance of issues breaking or hitting something. Although outside I would get to show them off, talking point on the chair lift.

So far really liking the Mojos. Only problem is I can outski my buddy now. He is stubborn and doesn't want to get one.
latest report
@Mogulman1, just keep saying to your mate "last to the hut buys the drinks"
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy