Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
@skimummk,
Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A rubber just in case I hit it off with a boarder chick on a lift.
A bottle of champagne and 2 glasses, for same reason.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pyramus wrote:
A rubber just in case I hit it off with a boarder chick on a lift.
A bottle of champagne and 2 glasses, for same reason.

I was going to post that I sometimes carry a hip flask in my backpack. Then I remembered how that thread went.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you still banging on about that, @zikomo? If you have any advice as to how a fairly slight woman should deal with a heavy rucksack (not a tiddly day bag with a pair of Raybans and a cheese sandwich) on a busy train, I'll be glad to hear it. Me + rucksack take up less room than me and socking great suitcase (which I couldn't carry up and down stairs without assistance).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Origen, No. You are. I was having a conversation with someone else entirely.

But as you ask. Put rucksack on the floor between your feet. Pick it up by the top handle to take it off the train. Put rucksack back on once on the platform and you have plenty of space around you. Literally child's play (my kids seem to manage). I don't get why you would need that explained to you, nor why you think it's ok to just leave your backpack on when on a crowded train, but I have done my best.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Love these threads. Bit of comedy, some useful information...bit of agro. Brilliant!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your kids are probably bigger and stronger than I am. Travelling on tube and metro I had a heavy rucksack (with all my stuff including ski boots) and a ski bag. No way could I get them tidily off a train the way you describe. Carrying the rucksack by the top handle it would drag along the floor and get bumped down "the gap". I The ski bag would then have to be put down on the busy platform to give me two hands free to get the rucksack on. I don't get why you would need that explained to you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think we need some video at this point
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Owls101 wrote:
Love these threads. Bit of comedy, some useful information...bit of agro. Brilliant!

+1

Folk getting hot under the collar about the innocent views of people they’ll never meet. Priceless.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For a typical day on the piste.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 26-01-24 20:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow&skifan wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

+1

Folk getting hot under the collar about the innocent views of people they’ll never meet. Priceless.
I've met at leat six contributors to this thread. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting bindings setup
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

+1

I've met at leat six contributors to this thread. Toofy Grin

I’m aware of Bashes etc.

But have you met people in real life, later having nasty spats with them here?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 26-01-24 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Essayer wrote:
Have been skiing in the Arlberg for the last 10 days and it seems like every second person is wearing a backpack.

People don’t do ski with backpacks in Australia where I am from.

What is in these backpacks?

I don’t think it’s avalanche stuff. These aren’t big powder days or off piste skiers, just regular skiiers

Top Post of the season

They are all victims of marketing

im not sure what they carry around..

I see these obese groups of guys from the UK
all the time .. wirh Full tuksaks and Abi gear They cannot
even Ski ..They habe not even done any other sport
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have another drink.
snow report
It’s shoulder-strapped handbags at dawn…
snow conditions
So that’d be after following which bit of @jirac18’s advice ;-?
Quote:
take it outside or get a room Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-01-24 9:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Dakine heli 11 litre - so cant fit much in there. However it allows for board/ski to be strapped to it for easy carrying.
Only for my lock, small tookit, non-ski gloves & to carry a mid layer if I choose the wrong midlayer in the morning & get warm.
I keep my wallet & phone in my pockets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=PcAyWzT0_dw
ski holidays
I make sure to stuff my pack with extra layers that I'll never wear just to keep the foaming at the mouth anti-backpack crew a good distance away every time I get onto a gondola with my pack still on.
snow conditions
It’s the same in normal life, you get the fully loaded and the minimalist.
I’m constantly amazed looking at folk coming into the office for the day.
Laptop backpack, with keyboard, headset ect, separate bag with breakfast, lunch and dinner like there isn’t 3 restaurants on campus! Then ladies have a huge handbag as well!
I think the only time I’ve left the house with that much stuff was when I was moving out of my parents.
snow conditions
I think a backpack is what is more commonly referenced to in the UK as a Rucsack?
snow report
@Peter S, does it matter what the thing is referenced to, or indeed called? However, I think the word is more commonly spelled with a k before the s. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mr O never feels the need to carry a bag. He maintains that everything he needs fits in his pockets. And by that he means wallet and phone as he's of the 'I'll just buy what I need if I need it' mentality.

I am in the other camp for two-fold reasons. One: as mentioned by another woman on the thread; our pockets are usually ridiculously tiny.

Two: as evidenced by my carrying teabags, I'm tighter than him. And as a vegetarian, I'd rather carry my own lunch than eat chips for lunch. Again.

Plus, that grenade shaped snowball maker won't fit in anyone's pocket, and that'll make Boy10 sad at lunchtime.

As I ski with a Kanken, I take it off on the lifts. No biggy. I take it off in the line and hold it by the hand straps, then it just goes on my lap when we sit down.

I forgot to add the other thing that permanently lives in my bag. A deck of cards! No break on the mountain is complete without a game of Poohead, Black Jack (not 21s) or Gin!
snow report
For others amused by this thread, I recommend: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122548
snow report
Owlette wrote:
Mr O never feels the need to carry a bag. He maintains that everything he needs fits in his pockets. And by that he means wallet and phone as he's of the 'I'll just buy what I need if I need it' mentality.

I am in the other camp for two-fold reasons. One: as mentioned by another woman on the thread; our pockets are usually ridiculously tiny.

Two: as evidenced by my carrying teabags, I'm tighter than him. And as a vegetarian, I'd rather carry my own lunch than eat chips for lunch. Again.

Plus, that grenade shaped snowball maker won't fit in anyone's pocket, and that'll make Boy10 sad at lunchtime.

As I ski with a Kanken, I take it off on the lifts. No biggy. I take it off in the line and hold it by the hand straps, then it just goes on my lap when we sit down.

I forgot to add the other thing that permanently lives in my bag. A deck of cards! No break on the mountain is complete without a game of Poohead, Black Jack (not 21s) or Gin!

Im curious where you ski. My wife is also a vegetarian and never had a problem finding good options for her on the mountain. So why would you only be able to have chips I wonder? It must be quite resort dependent.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:

Im curious where you ski. My wife is also a vegetarian and never had a problem finding good options for her on the mountain. So why would you only be able to have chips I wonder? It must be quite resort dependent.

IME. Being a Vegetarian is manageable - but my Daughter is Vegan, which is a whole other world of torture.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
zikomo wrote:

IME. Being a Vegetarian is manageable - but my Daughter is Vegan, which is a whole other world of torture.

Isn't that illegal in France?
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Yes I agree - one of my daughter's friends is vegan, when she came with us we had to plan much more carefully.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria was a nightmare. And they inisit on putting paprika on the chips. Why?!

France has been better, but I'm also not a massive fan of cheese (unless it's goats or feta, those I love) and I can't bear mushrooms. I tend to find that that limits me with options. We tend to stop at Meli's in 1950 for a quick lunch (sitting at the tables of Les Belles Pintes so Mr. O can have a pint), so my lunch options there are limited. That said, I have had a good wrap from there.

I was vegan for about three years, I feel your pain. I'd been toying with going back to vegetarian for a while and it was on a ski holiday to Austria that I was tipped over the edge. The apple strudel did it.

I never struggle with desserts when skiing. So I'll pack my lunch and then enjoy a restaurant dessert.
ski holidays
@Owlette, You might find Italy more manageable, many Italians see the menu as a guide to give them a starting position! We also have few problems in Switzerland. Been to Austria quite a bit and again no problem, most places had options. But we do tend to go for proper sit-down table service restaurants for lunch. Even if there is nothing vegetarian on the menu in general people have been happy to accommodate.

Vegan is a bit trickier, it helps a lot if speak the local language. There can be some strange interpretations of a vegan ingredient unless you can be very precise!
snow report
Disposable Hand warmers, sunglasses, a down midlayer, snacks, 0.75 litres of warter, sometimes skins just in case, avy gear if applicable, sometimes boot fitting stuff to mess with boots, sometimes 1st aid kit, spare set of gloves in case weather is volatile or skinning on the agenda. In terms of packing volume, not much really. I have gooten used to skiing with a pack so I don't mind. But, that said, I enjoy skiing packless every once in a while.
ski holidays
Orwell wrote:
For others amused by this thread, I recommend: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122548
Wow, well spotted! Same old, same old Laughing
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@Owlette, You might find Italy more manageable, many Italians see the menu as a guide to give them a starting position! We also have few problems in Switzerland. Been to Austria quite a bit and again no problem, most places had options. But we do tend to go for proper sit-down table service restaurants for lunch. Even if there is nothing vegetarian on the menu in general people have been happy to accommodate.

Vegan is a bit trickier, it helps a lot if speak the local language. There can be some strange interpretations of a vegan ingredient unless you can be very precise!

We're skiing in Italy at Christmas this year. We love Italy and like everyone, find the food superb, so we're looking forward to that.
ski holidays
Quote:

There can be some strange interpretations of a vegan ingredient unless you can be very precise!

My daughter did a Spanish exchange when she was a vegetarian. The very sweet mother of the family asked (in Spanish, she spoke no English) if a ham omelette would be OK if she chopped the ham up very small. Laughing
latest report
I’m a little mystified why so many insist on carrying snacks, don’t they have breakfast?
ski holidays
Owlette wrote:

There are quite a few pooHeads hearabout….. Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

I’m a little mystified why so many insist on carrying snacks, don’t they have breakfast?

Some people are such wimps, @Gordyjh, that they refuse to fast between breakfast and supper and don't want to spend £150 on lunch for the week or perhaps are not short of money but dislike hot and crowded restaurants which makes their merino base layers itchy around the crutch.
snow conditions
@Origen,
Quote:

dislike hot and crowded restaurants which makes their merino base layers itchy around the crutch

I've heard many reasons for carrying snacks (I don't, as it happens) but that's, erm, an unusual one. Confused
ski holidays
Well, I thought it was no more ridiculous than some of the other suggestions about what people carry, should carry, or definitely don't need to carry. Or that anyone who needed a snack hadn't had any breakfast! Crowded restaurants with long queues (and that's just for the toilets.....) can certainly be unpleasant if you're dressed for a breeze chairlift in minus ten.
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:

As a coeliac, my metabolism isn't as reliable as the average persons... Plus getting food on the mountain can be hit and miss sometimes - some jerky and some haribo goldenbears/almdudler/starmix can really help me out sometimes. Plus it's always good to have something handy if a member of the group is flagging.

Maybe I fall under the 'boyscout' label when it comes to what's in my bag, but everything comes in handy throughout the week though, so...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 27-01-24 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy