Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you appreciate pole clicking?

Poster: A snowHead
Can’t see the problem with it. Someone letting you know they are there is always helpful.

Someone skiing or riding like a dick is entirely different regardless of whether or not they click poles.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like others, in 40+ years of skiing I cannot say I have ever really noticed pole clicking as a thing...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
only people I've heard do it are those that shout "on yer left"
impressive how my skiing style so obviously shouts "native English"

but then again the clicking might just be my tinnitus
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
People who “believe” pole clickers are being rude and wanted you move out of their way are just reading too much into something that aren’t there!

Pole clickers only mean to say “I’m here”.

Now, one can infer they’re hoping to pass, which most likely they’re. What you do after hearing the click is entirely your own decision. You can ignore them and continue doing whatever you’ve been doing. And that’s exactly what 99% of pole clickers expect! They can then choose the best way to safely pass you. Very Happy

But if you think they’re being rude, what would you do?

Do you continue on as if you didn’t hear it? After all, you wouldn’t “give in to bullies”, right? wink But that would be just perfect as far as the pole clickers’ concern. They’ll pass when they feel like it, as you continue doing whatever you’ve been doing. snowHead

Or do you start making wider turns to block them from passing??? That would be rude on your part!!! Shocked

In short, don’t change what you’ve been doing after hearing pole clicks. If you do, you not only “gave in to pole clicking bullies”, you also make it unsafe for both of you! rolling eyes

Yes, I’m a pole clicker. And I appreciate pole clicking! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Answers from clickees not clickers please

Does that not skew the answers a tad? i.e there probably aren't going to be many people who find it useful but are not clickers themselves.x
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris_n, yes it happens

@SnoodyMcFlude, no it doesn't skew. I'm genuinely interested in whether people find it helpful. It's a yes/no thing (although the thread has deviated)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have never actually experienced pole clicking..but Yes, I would appreciate it if someone was skiing a lot faster and wanted to get past on a narrow and/or busy piste, and yes I would hold my line to let him past safely.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So many people who think it’s acceptable for the uphill skier to tell the downhill skier what they should do.

Quite the reversal of that other thread…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So those supporting No got off to a flying start, with those supporting Yes taking a while to catch up - a bit like the Hare and the Tortoise. It now looks reasonably even, with a few "Not bothereds" and one (now 2) reformed characters. Toofy Grin

It's been interesting.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 19-01-24 21:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

there probably aren't going to be many people who find it useful but are not clickers themselves.

But I don't think the intention was to exclude clickers from having and expressing a clickee point of view!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're excluding a group of people who obviously find it useful, that's surely skewed the answer. And is it like smoking where one is always a clicker, even if they haven't clicked in decades? NehNeh

Anyway, yes. For the most part, on a cat track I prefer an audible cue to someone just appearing in my periphery.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, ahhh, that's how it reads to me, keeping out the clicker riff raff
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No longer a pole clicker - it’s pointless and potentially meaningless, if not downright confusing, to the recipient.

Besides, with so many skiers/boarders blasting music into their ears, how on earth can I be expected to know whether the “warning” I’m giving is actually heard. So, again, what’s the point?

I don’t ever recall being clicked at. That’s not to say it hasn’t happened…
snow conditions
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

so many skiers/boarders blasting music into their ears

And that's another can o' worms! Personally I think ears are very useful in skiing, even in getting feedback from the skis/snow, let alone in making you aware of other people. But it's probably best not to let this thread drift into yet another controversial topic. wink
snow report
yes yes
snow report
Can't be anything but a good thing. I definitely appreciate it as it gives me a heads up of someone coming past.
It is very like using a bell when riding a bike and most people would expect that cyclists warn them if passing a pedestrian for example.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

so many skiers/boarders blasting music into their ears

And that's another can o' worms! Personally I think ears are very useful in skiing, even in getting feedback from the skis/snow, let alone in making you aware of other people. But it's probably best not to let this thread drift into yet another controversial topic. wink

What, and break the typical sH’s mold for deviation or prevarication? Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
So many people who think it’s acceptable for the uphill skier to tell the downhill skier what they should do.

Quite the reversal of that other thread…

We're a fickle bunch! Skullie
latest report
spose it can be helpful... to know when someone more important than me is right up my arrse.

I don't see it as anything like a cycle bell. One is to ask politely to come past where there is no gap, with 2 different modes of movement along the path with greatly differing speeds. the other is either pointless, to pass where there is already space or an "oi, get out my way" instruction.

As a cyclist, i'm 3rd from bottom of the importance hierarchy anyway, so I know my place.
latest report
@Cacciatore, Laughing
latest report
I don't think music has ever rendered me vulnerable or made me a danger to others. The people who ARE a menace are the ones who are constantly alert to the scraping sounds of snowboarders intent on injuring them. Usually beginners, up-tight and unable to do anything sensible about it anyway. If someone is about to crash into you complete relaxation and readiness to go with the flow is ideal. When an inattentive motorist crashed into the back of my nephew's car he had seen it in the mirror and was braced against the wheel. He suffered life- changing whiplash injuries. His wife and kids were fine. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I cycle on shared paths and it's the dogs on long leads which are the scariest. I always pass them v slowly. I do ring my bell when approaching a gaggle of pedestrians, dogs and push chairs strung out right across the path. Sometimes they look very annoyed at having had to gather themselves up a bit. It's hard to ring a bell without sounding peremptory.
snow report
@pam w,
Quote:

The people who ARE a menace are the ones who are constantly alert to the scraping sounds of snowboarders intent on injuring them.
Unfortunately, worriers/nervous people usually, almost by definition, don't have control of their menacing feelings.
latest report
Wow I’m certainly nervous and wary of those behind me. After having a clean break of my arm, torn bicep, shattered shoulder, concussion and facial lacerations from a reckless collision into my back, I thought It was quite reasonable to feel that way.

Turns out I’m just a menace despite being a really competent skier.

Fair play never far away from nonsense on SH’s.
snow conditions
As a snowboarder, I don’t usually carry poles in my hand - they tend to be strapped to the pack.

I find the best way to do something similar to pole clicking is to silently ride up behind the downhill party, and then aggressively engage my razor sharp magnetraction edges, making a noise similar to a Stuka about to make a bombing run.

If this polite message doesn’t get the point across, I’ve got one of these clever black diamond packs that has a one handed axe release, and I can quickly reach round and grab my axe, and just give the downhill skier a gentle tap on the back of the helmet, which usually works, but failing that I can just use the pointy end to give them a prod in the back.
latest report
@jirac18, Laughing (not laughing at your horrible accident, obviously)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Yes. I'd rather know someone is there than not. Self preservation tops manners.
ski holidays
Quote:

worriers/nervous people usually, almost by definition, don't have control of their menacing feelings

and that's why they should play some nice music so they can't hear the threats from behind. I've been knocked flying from behind - thankfully no harm done except smashing my thermos of coffee and having coffee running down into my knickers afterwards. But if I'd just heard the idiot, minutes before he crashed into me, it would probably have been a lot worse, as I'd have tensed up.

I would take some persuading that hearing someone scraping down right behind you is a good thing.

Few skiers have sufficient skill and speed of reactions to instantly "do the right thing" on becoming aware of someone right behind them. I think they're kidding themselves!
snow conditions
@pam w,
Quote:

and that's why they should play some nice music so they can't hear the threats from behind

Thanks, but no thanks.
snow conditions
I've skied with people who are very nervous of what's behind. They really are a menace because they keep tensing up and slowing down, trying to look behind them and careering all over the place. I always tell them it's the job of the skier coming down behind them to keep out of their way. "But what if they don't?" they ask. I just shrug because there's nothing sensible to say. Luck of the draw, I say. Are you constantly fearful of drivers hitting you from behind?
latest report
I’m nervous of what’s behind.
I don’t slow, I don’t tense up and I don’t career all over the place. I know it’s the uphill skiers responsibility and I never ask “but what if they don’t”.
No I’m not fearful of drivers, I’m wary.
I’m not fearful of being hit from behind but I am wary of others and nervous of anyone flying up behind me.

I still fail to see how that makes me a Menace which you seem quite keen to double down on.
snow report
And as for your theory on being oblivious and therefore completely relaxed on impact from behind that also is frankly nonsense. I had absolutely zero idea or knowledge of the presence of the woman who collided into me until the point of contact. I couldn’t have been more relaxed. I’ve played enough rugby to know that had I known it was coming and fully braced it would have been she who ended up in hospital and not me.

Maybe if she’d clicked her poles I’d have had chance to jump out of the way? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well you clearly aren't a menace,@jirac18 but being nervous of what's behind (that you can't do anything about) seems to detract from your
enjoyment of skiing, which is a great shame. The people I describe are a menace, not least to themselves, because they are nervous and worried and, if they are beginners, prone to do something daft, such as simply stop in the middle of a busy piste. And they go on about "that awful scraping noise", are unreasonably prejudiced against snowboarders and generally a bit of a pain!

I try to be tolerant of them, and have really been very kind and supportive skiing with lots of beginner friends and relatives who came to stay in my apartment. My sister in law, the daftest of them all, was going in front of me up a very busy two-track draglift at half term (I was only skiing at half term because it was the only time they could come with teacher daughter). As is often the case on a drag lift, you go "over the top" and then let go. But my SiL had decided that the two streams of traffic disappearing out of sight "over the top" were being dropped off a cliff and so let go on the final slope up. She didn't fall, she got off quite deliberately. I had to dismount with her, into the central reservation, and get her off her skis, toss them through the people coming up, shove her over and then get us through about 50m of soft unpisted snow back onto the piste (an easy green). She was constantly panicking about snowboarders too.

I have been, as I say, kind and supportive and didn't moan at her AT ALL at the time, but just talked her quietly through what we had to do. I was positively saintly, in fact. But it does get up my nose if people suggest that listening to music makes me a menace! And there are plenty of threads on snowheads suggesting just that.
snow report
Been skiing today in Zell Am See, many more years into my skiing journey and followed someone snow plowing down a the full width of a track, back in the day I would have clicked, now have better skills to slow down, so why ruin her day?
snow conditions
DavidYacht wrote:
Been skiing today in Zell Am See, many more years into my skiing journey and followed someone snow plowing down a the full width of a track, back in the day I would have clicked, now have better skills to slow down, so why ruin her day?

IMV. You did exactly the right thing...as they were obviously early on in their skiing journey and so deserve to be shown extra tolerance/caution. It is a great example of when to simply hang back and have patience, as pushing past would - as you say - likely have ruined her day.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

IMV. You did exactly the right thing...as they were obviously early on in their skiing journey and so deserve to be shown extra tolerance/caution. It is a great example of when to simply hang back and have patience, as pushing past would - as you say - likely have ruined her day.

When approaching someone who obviously not in full control of their trajectory, there’s no point in clicking poles. The only possible strategy is to sneak past them when it’s possible.

But when approaching skiers going slowing but in full control, clicking poles is appropriate. It offers the skier(s) who are in control additional information that you’re behind, and offer them the option of continuing on in a straight line.

I will add, if I’m the skier behind warned from behind, and I see ahead that I need to do something different, I would raise my hand to indicate I need to turn that way. It works well when the pole clicker is still a bit of a distance away. Gives them sufficient time to slow down.
latest report
Clicking other skiers is downright rude. It conveys only one message:

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

If you don’t have the skills to pass safely, hang back until the piste becomes wide enough for you to make your move.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy