Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you appreciate pole clicking?

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from a discussion in the Whose Fault thread about pole clicking when passing someone on a narrow track, I'm interested in whether people appreciate the clicks or not

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5236253#5236253

Do you appreciate it/do you find it useful?

Answers from clickees not clickers please

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-01-24 18:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. Never.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Providing it's done 10 yds not 10 feet behind me yes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends what they are used for. If it's "Hi, just letting you know I'm here as I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head." then it's helpful. When it's "I'm here and better than you so now have right of way and you need to get out of my way!", not so much.

Oh, and of course if its me doing it it could just mean I'm listening to tunes and 'tapping my foot' in time to the music Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Doesn’t happen to me often, with the once in a blue moon occasion taking place a few weeks ago. I wasn’t able to distinguish whether it came from behind me to the left or behind me to the right. But that was irrelevant as it took a second for me to register what the unusual noise was, by which time the skier was already in the process of passing me, clearly in my vision.

Utterly pointless if the intention was to get me to take a particular action; and clearly accompanied by a “I’m coming through, don’t get in my way’ attitude. One more small example of too little respect between slope users.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nope, because I'm going slowly, I'm not quick/experienced enough to get out of the way quickly, and it puts me about.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If it's "Hi, just letting you know I'm here as I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head." then it's helpful. When it's "I'm here and better than you so now have right of way and you need to get out of my way!", not so much.

Wow, impressive powers of inference, @Mjit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If it's "Hi, just letting you know I'm here as I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head." then it's helpful. When it's "I'm here and better than you so now have right of way and you need to get out of my way!", not so much.

Wow, impressive powers of inference, @Mjit.

One is followed by a nice glide down the track, with maybe a friendly "Morning" as they overtake you going only a little quicker than you 10+ seconds after the pole tapping.
The other is followed by someone passing you at full chatt and about half a second after the tapping.

Much like sounding your horn. It's meant to mean "I'm still here" - but most often get used to mean "%#*$ @$*!".
Or a quick flash of the headlights. Friendly and helpful when it's "I'm stopping, you can come through first.", less so when it's "I'm coming through, get out of my way!".

Admittedly in all the above cases you know know what the signal means after the fact.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 19-01-24 18:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps a more insightful question would have two parts:
1. Do you click your poles sometimes on cat-tracks when you are about to overtake someone?
2. Do you appreciate pole clicks from others when they are behind you?

I suspect the answers are 100% correlated.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo, I'm not interested in question 1. That's been answered in the other thread
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Ok.
snow report
Couldn’t care less either way if someone does or doesn’t use a pole click near me. If they are trying to be helpful, great thanks I appreciate it whether it was of any consequence or not. If they are being entitled and trying to usher me out of their way well that’s too bad because I’m skiing where I’m skiing and trying to keep myself and those around me safe and a pole click ain’t moving me in any case.
Not going to allow a pole clicker to spoil my cherished time in the mountains.

Of course it’s seldom possible to establish the intent of the clicker either way.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, no, it's stupid.
ski holidays
@zikomo, @holidayloverxx,
Yes and Yes.

This will probably open a whole can of worms but here goes...

I think pole clicking is a nice courtesy to others but should never be used as "I'm coming through!"...more of a " I'd like to come through". I appreciated it when I was the person in front getting passed so use it now myself.
I never expect others to get out of the way though, it's still my responsibility to pass safely.

I don't use it if the person in front looks to be rather nervous as it may distract them with disastrous consequences! More often now and especially if the person in front looks nervous I come out with "On your right" for example, but that can be a mistake too!

If the person in front is really having a hard time then I just have to wait.

A "Merci!" (or Danke) is always to be used after. (Especially if they are obviously from the UK!)

Of course, if the person in front is wearing a Snowheads buff then I generally slide on by shouting "Rule 5 for Gods Sake!" snowHead
ski holidays
No
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Depends what they are used for. If it's "Hi, just letting you know I'm here as I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head." then it's helpful.

This. I do do pole clicking to snowboarders as they normally can't see well when you pass on their side. I still leave a fairly big gap when I pass them though and obviously if they fall and hit me while I'm passing it would be 100% my fault.

And to answer OP's question yes I do appreciate pole clicking. This gives me an additional layer of spatial awareness I wouldn't have otherwise.
snow conditions
euanovsky wrote:
Mjit wrote:
Depends what they are used for. If it's "Hi, just letting you know I'm here as I know you don't have eyes in the back of your head." then it's helpful.

This. I do do pole clicking to snowboarders as they normally can't see well when you pass on their side. I still leave a fairly big gap when I pass them though and obviously if they fall and hit me while I'm passing it would be 100% my fault.

And to answer OP's question yes I do appreciate pole clicking. This gives me an additional layer of spatial awareness I wouldn't have otherwise.

I second this and I do it for the same reason and would appreciate pole clicking.
latest report
euanovsky wrote:

My spatial awareness has been completely b*ggered as I've gone deaf in one ear over the last four months. What I get now is just a wall of sound coming into the other ear. I'd have no idea which side the pole-clicking is coming from. Still had a great time in Les Arcs last week, though!
ski holidays
I don't like pole clicking, but I definitely appreciate a "on your left/right" which is a lot more useful.

I do think some of it is cultural though. In north America people tend to be more friendly and courteous (just look at the civilised queuing!). So there it's probably taken as more "just letting you know I'm here", while in Europe perhaps considered a more "get out my way".

I find it hard to believe more communication can really be a bad thing. Wether that's a "bar coming down" on a lift so you don't smack someone in the head l, or even a downhill skier giving a little hand indication if they are going to make a change in direction to cut across a slope.

It's a lot better and safer experience when everyone tries to help each other, and in doing so themselves too.
ski holidays
The reason why I appreciate pole clicking is that I have heard it so many times it doesn't phase me in the slightest. If I hear a pole click I know someone is behind me they are probably travelling faster than which is knowledge I otherwise may not have. They almost certainly wish to pass me but may not be fully confident in their own ability to do it. . I would usually respond by maintaining a straighter line and using a snow plough to control speed rather than more lateral movement.
latest report
@195062, at a tangent to the OP question has going deaf in one ear affected your balance whilst skiing. I only ask as one year I’d had a filthy cold and my ear drum actually burst when I sneezed. I skied about a week later and it really badly affected my balance especially in flat light. I actually fell over whilst stationary a bit like classic vertigo and didn’t realise I was even falling until I hit the ground.
snow report
Yes, if it’s 2-3 clicks about 100 bpm, clicked no later than 2 seconds before estimated time of passing by. That person is just trying to be helpful.

More than 4 clicks, a tempo above 120 bpm and/or clicking when he’s already on your tails is the internationally known signal for a jerk coming through.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 19-01-24 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
In my experience French skiers queue in civilized fashion and refrain from bringing bar down in considerately. Also check everyone's ready before raising it.

Depends where you go, maybe? People who faff around in order to sit with their dear ones are an absolute ball- ache, regardless of nationality.

I often skied to music so pole clicking lost on me. OTOH I generally didn't dawdle on narrow paths.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:

I find it hard to believe more communication can really be a bad thing

It's a lot better and safer experience when everyone tries to help each other, and in doing so themselves too.

100%. I wish more people more often would get into the habit of thinking this way. Selfish behaviour is the pits! Just be kinder, more considerate and conscious when you ski.
ski holidays
@boarder2020,
Quote:

I don't like pole clicking, but I definitely appreciate a "on your left/right" which is a lot more useful.
+1
snow report
@jirac18, Fortunately not. I've done a couple of weeks so far this winter, pre-Christmas and last week. Now I'm in my 60s, I tend not to go out if the weather is poor - using Ski A La Carte means only paying on days I actually ski. It took a little while for muscle memory to kick back in - after effects still, I reckon, of limited time over the last four years as a result of COVID (which I've managed to avoid thus far). However, by the end of last week it finally felt as though I was skiing on instinct again and really enjoyed it. Balance was fine.
ski holidays
euanovsky wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Never ever ever pass on the heel edge, we can't see you as we're not owls. No amount of clicking is useful... are you 1m away clicking lightly or 20m whacking away like Keith Moon... I have no idea. If I turn to look I'm no longer looking where I'm going.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

This is why I have used the phrase, "Make my presence known / Let the other skier know I'm there", rather than Pole Clicking....Which might involve saying exactly what you said above.

I prefer to know what the skier behind me is intending to do, if it has the potential to impact me (which as Zikomo has said, may be why I might do the same in very limited situations). Being in the right, is of little comfort if you are injured and your holiday ruined.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 19-01-24 20:15; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Yes, I'm a flaky skier that sees monsters in the snow that the skier behind might be unaware of.
I'm less likely to make unexpected, random, crazy moves across the piste if I know there someone behind me - absolutely the clickkly poles means I'll do my best to continue my line as others would see it from behind until they are past.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 19-01-24 19:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, do you come across pole clicking much in Austria? I can honestly say in 35 years of skiing mainly in Austria but also Switzerland and Italy I've never come across it. For the last 10 years I have taught mainly slower skiers so have plenty of experience of being overtaken on narrow tracks without incident but with a few passes closer than I think they should be. I do as far as possible encourage clients to leave a safe passage but this isn't always possible in a couple of areas that I regularly use but realistically the only people using these tracks should be lower level users under instruction anyway.
ski holidays
It really depends. I've head situations where I would have used poles (but I was on a snowboard), e.g. :
- for clicking when trying to overtake a child on a flat piece but he was making turns randomly, followed by an adult trying to mimic child's moves but given there was a delay in moves they covered whole width. I ended up stopping and running with my board because I couldn't have overtaken safely.
- for hitting when people stop in a middle of a turn during a very low visibility.
I would also use it in a different way depending on what level of run it is. I don't appreciate people doing 60mph on blue runs.

It's a similar situation when cycling and using bells, it's different when I'm chatting with kids cycling next to each other and different when someone is doing 30mph on a cycling path and the bell can cause more harm.
latest report
pam w wrote:
People who faff around in order to sit with their dear ones are an absolute ball- ache, regardless of nationality.

This definitely. Had one last week when they waited three chairs before getting on, when there was a long queue at the lift. Just go up and meet at the top. Grrrrrr..... Happened to be on a chair with a ski school instructor at Tignes a few years ago who said exactly this.

Do (silently) get a bit annoyed with those who bring the bar down half a millisecond after you've sat down. Allowing a few seconds to get adjusted makes no difference to safety etc.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 19-01-24 19:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
As @Chris_n says, pole clicking doesn't seem to be a thing. I've rarely heard it, and never done it.
snow report
I use in-ear music so I don't hear you. But it's ok, because as a snowboarder I have to be fully aware of what's behind me anyway.
So I just look around a lot, like when I'm driving my car.

If I'm going to switch from a tucked flat schuss to a turn, or do anything else you could not reasonably anticipate, I'll shoulder check.
And give any overtaking rider the priority they need. I respect peoples' rights to ride quicker than me.

I appreciate people trying to warn me of their presence, on or off piste, if they think it's necessary.

In the back country, it's a simple courtesy to let slower skiers or riders know where you are if it's remotely relevant to them. A simple "hey ho" is how that's done. Personally I still shoulder check, which often causes amusement in others, but it's a habit you either have or you don't have.
snow report
Yes.

I don't see pole clicking on a narrow path from an overtaking skier as any different to a cyclist ringing his bell on a combined cycle/pedestrian path. It's useful additional information to increase awareness of what's around you and what's likely to happen next.

I'd view it as pointless on an open slope (because there are too many variables) but I can genuinely say I've never experienced it on an open slope.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy