Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
@daveqpr, I'll keep my eye out and say hello
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Early tunnel at 6.36 am then long drive south. Hopefully all will flow good on the Friday as it now looks like the roads are alot less blocked up than last week by the Farmers. Route will be Reims, Troyes , Dijon then Bourg en Bresse after that does any one know why the D1504 is showing as closed at Tenay? We have seen a few others mention this route and were thinking of it. ViaMichelin is now showing the D19 instead - anyone know that route? otherwise we may just stay on the Autoroute past Lyon Airport.

We do the D1504 every year, definitely takes longer (although depending on the queues on the autoroute, sometimes there's not much in it) but it's a much more pleasant drive than just booming down the autoroute. The view as you emerge from the Tunnel du Chat is amazing. Not sure about the closure at Tenay. If you have a place to stay between Chambery and Albertville and you have some time on your hands I'd really recommend it.

Also the services at BeB are worth a stop if only to have the Bresse chicken and chips snowHead snowHead

Where is the BeB service for the Chicken and Chips? - like the sound of that - - d1504 showing on ViaMichelin and google as closed for quite a long way past Tenay. Has been like that for about a week.

We already have the intermarche at Ambrieu as a fuel & pit stop
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D1504 appears to be shut following rock falls:

https://www.ain.fr/solutions/etat-des-routes-conditions-de-circulation/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Where is the BeB service for the Chicken and Chips? - like the sound of that

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Poulet_de_Bresse

If my secondary school French hasn't completely left me it's home to the biggest chicken in the world !!

Good info from @chocksaway, maybe need to leave the D1504 for the next trip snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
D1504 appears to be shut following rock falls:

https://www.ain.fr/solutions/etat-des-routes-conditions-de-circulation/

Thanks -Great info - and I thought it was bails of hay and tractors still blocking the road!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We do the trip in Honda CRV - which we also use for summer in the alps with lots of bikes piled on the back and a roofbox so that the boot is packed only to boot cover level.

We've also done the winter ski trip in a Toyota Rav4, Renault Kadjar, Ford Mondeo and Ford CMax - all very much perfectly fine. The car has gotten bigger in line with the kids if you didn't spot the obvious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We leave Thursday evening for a drive down to Ashford from sunny Yorkshire, staying at the usual Premier Inn ready for a fairly civilised 08.45 Tunnel crossing.
We've submitted the usual request for absence for Friday for our daughter, that as every year gets declined, but they don't fine us so all ok. It's not like she's going to miss much on the last day of term anyway, I think most of the day is PE with a crap teacher, and she's about to have a full week of much more fun PE so not feeling any guilt at all aout that.
We're staying over just outside Grenoble Friday night this year, so hopefully a short ish drive up to Alpe D'Huez Saturday morning. Last year the "it's only a short drive" from Lyon turned into an 8hr very tedious slog, though the sun was shining so it wasn't too bad. Hopefully this year, with it being closer and I'll kick the gang out of bed earlier will mean we get ahead of the traffic.
We've sacked off the roofbox this year as Le Tunnel wanted far too much extra ££ for this tight Yorkshireman, so hoping we get everything in the trusty V90. We really should, it's big there's only four of us, though Mrs W does like to pack the worlds supply of cleaning products to take with us.

The weather keeps changing, though at the moment looking like we are in for some snow which is well needed, though could make the drive up the hill a bit more exciting.

Safe travels all who are making the jouney south over the next few days. If anyone is in ADH say hi! I'm lost looking climber on ski touring kit with an orange helmet wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
friday the 16th for us, later HT this year....hoping the weather gods play ball
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flying to Lyon from Gatwick early morning on Sat 17th, arriving roughly 10am, then a coach transfer to La Plagne (1800). Can't say I'm looking forward to the transfer at all! I'm told 2.5hrs, but reading this thread, I'm expecting longer!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjstua, 2:30 from Lyon to La Plagne is pushing it for a coach. Assuming that you'll be out of the airport by 11:30 and neot held up waiting for the delayed flight from Glasgow I think you'll be ahead of the really,really bad traffic. Take a good book and trust the transfer coach has a lavatory on board and you'll be fine. Relax and let the world go by.

With 2/3 s of schools on holiday that week it will be one of the busiest weeks of the season and this is looking like a very busy season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@rjstua, 2:30 from Lyon to La Plagne is pushing it for a coach. Assuming that you'll be out of the airport by 11:30 and neot held up waiting for the delayed flight from Glasgow I think you'll be ahead of the really,really bad traffic. Take a good book and trust the transfer coach has a lavatory on board and you'll be fine. Relax and let the world go by.

With 2/3 s of schools on holiday that week it will be one of the busiest weeks of the season and this is looking like a very busy season.

I'm crying on the inside Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjstua...took friends 6 hours for the same journey last year.....but appreciate no two years the same, but likelihood is it will be very busy on the roads and possibly inclement weather wont help.

good luck
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Inset day on Friday so 9:20 Eurotunnel and overnight in Maçon and then to La Plagne
First time in Maçon and first time to La Plagne, although have driven to Les Gets a few times.
Son now has his own phone so should allow him on his, Mrs on hers and I can have mine for android auto.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking of the trip down, I used to (before marriage and kids) do it in a 2003 Land Rover Defender.

That was not fun: the only things slower on the Autoroute were HGVs.. And not cheap either.

I owned that car when I lived in the Alps in the 2013-14 season. It was fun, but also awful compered to almost anything else I could have chosen
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not HT but me and a mate once drove down in a Peugeot 209 GTI on summer tyres!
snow report
Probably too late for this year - but when we've driven down in heavy traffic the APRR doofer has been a godsend. Queues at tolls still long, but nowhere near as bad as queuing to use a credit card.
snow report
Currently near Stuttgart en route to driving to Dolomites for HT; bit of a cheat as celebrating big birthdays means hubby and I are taking 10 days. Kids fly out to join us on Fri eve when we’ll collect them in Venice.
Crunch time will be the following weekend when we join the masses en route home. Hoping that coming from Strasbourg to join the A26 will mean we only share the road with the Parisians for a couple of hours. But already slightly dreading the Le Shuttle passport queue…
snow report
Quote:

Probably too late for this year - but when we've driven down in heavy traffic the APRR doofer has been a godsend

You might still be able to get a Eurotunnel / Emovis one for next day delivery (Royal Mail Special Delivery) if anyone does want to apply for one.
ski holidays
5.50am crossing for us on Saturday, then driving straight through to Serre Chevalier.

I’ve not travelled during half term before so never had to deal with any kind of traffic on route, this year could be an experience given the time we’ll be getting close to the mountains!
snow report
@22fluffysheep, might be best to take the journey in a relaxed way, as the later you arrive, the better. Losing the hour at the beginning is useful in that regard!
ski holidays
@22fluffysheep, as per @Origen comment, you aren't going to be beat the traffic so best to accept you will be arriving late into resort and chill. Just make sure you will have access to your accommodation for a late evening arrival.
snow report
sno trax wrote:
Quote:

Probably too late for this year - but when we've driven down in heavy traffic the APRR doofer has been a godsend

You might still be able to get a Eurotunnel / Emovis one for next day delivery (Royal Mail Special Delivery) if anyone does want to apply for one.

Yes they do next day just got new holders sent the next day!
ski holidays
Thank you, anyone have any experience of when the peak traffic hits and finishes on half term Saturday? We’ve made it twice to Val Thorens without encountering anything so this will be new to us!
latest report
On Emovis tags, a blob of blu tac works fine as a holder.

On traffic, we changed our car a couple of years back to something more modern - and traffic jam self-drive (increasingly common on cars these days) is a game-changer on these trips.

On night driving, we both hate it as we are at low ebb, and even with the driving aids our car has, we avoid it. If we ever go to a large electric vehicle for the journey, we may go back to it, as you can park up and have a nap, heater on, without having to run an engine.
ski holidays
Quote:

Thank you, anyone have any experience of when the peak traffic hits and finishes on half term Saturday? We’ve made it twice to Val Thorens without encountering anything so this will be new to us!

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/traffic-forecast.htm

Although only for the autoroutes. If you're heading to VT then it can be crawling all the way from Albertville to the traffic lights in Moutiers from 0900hrs until the evening
ski holidays
swoafs wrote:
Currently near Stuttgart en route to driving to Dolomites for HT; bit of a cheat as celebrating big birthdays means hubby and I are taking 10 days. Kids fly out to join us on Fri eve when we’ll collect them in Venice.
Crunch time will be the following weekend when we join the masses en route home. Hoping that coming from Strasbourg to join the A26 will mean we only share the road with the Parisians for a couple of hours. But already slightly dreading the Le Shuttle passport queue…

where do you want exactly ? Val Gardena?
latest report
Looking at the traffic forecast now considering coming off the A6 at Macon and taking the A40 then A41 to our overnight in Chambery tomorrow night. Google says 40km and 10 mins longer but avoids the traffic around Lyon at 4-5pm tomorrow. Decisions decisions, may just have to see what Waze thinks tomorrow.....
snow report
Anyone else staying at the Premier Inn Folkestone, Cherry Lane this evening?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonathancarty wrote:
Looking at the traffic forecast now considering coming off the A6 at Macon and taking the A40 then A41 to our overnight in Chambery tomorrow night. Google says 40km and 10 mins longer but avoids the traffic around Lyon at 4-5pm tomorrow. Decisions decisions, may just have to see what Waze thinks tomorrow.....

take the A432 to skirt Lyon, past the airport, and not go into Lyon
snow report
Good luck and safe journeys to all those getting ready to travel this weekend !
snow report
boulevardier wrote:
Good luck and safe journeys to all those getting ready to travel this weekend !

Yes good luck all - this is where it all starts!!
ski holidays
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Although only for the autoroutes. If you're heading to VT then it can be crawling all the way from Albertville to the traffic lights in Moutiers from 0900hrs until the evening

Not VT this time, Serre Chevalier. I keep reading that the main route in might close if the weathers that bad too, should be interesting driving!
snow conditions
I don't see anything in the forecast that suggests issues with the roads.
latest report
22fluffysheep wrote:
jonathancarty wrote:
Quote:

Not VT this time, Serre Chevalier. I keep reading that the main route in might close if the weathers that bad too, should be interesting driving!

Whereupon everyone does the detour via Gap.
snow report
@22fluffysheep, I would look up the route via the Frejus tunnel and compare it to the other options.
ski holidays
What’s all this car talk got to do with driving a 2 miles an hour through Albertville?

Oh Lord, I’ve not packed. I’ve not packed…..
latest report
Snowysarah wrote:
We are getting the train on Saturday to Lyon and picking up a car, driving to the Monterosa Saturday evening. Hoping most of the traffic will be gone by then!

I’m intrigued to know why you’re flying to Lyon to get to Monterosa?
snow conditions
And we're off!

It's 3 am and we are finally on our way - le shuttle here we come
snow report
all clear getting through. pushed on to the earlier 6.15 train
snow conditions
Very pleasant journey yesterday. Absolutely deserted at EasyJet bag drop, and no queue at all at security. On arrival at Milan I went off to get the hire car, got half way there when my wife called to say luggage all collected and they were waiting for me. Pleasant 2 hour drive to Champoluc with a quick supermarket stop in Verres.

It’s quite mild this morning. And very foggy. Can’t even really see the mountains from the balcony!

Hope others have an equally pleasant trip!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy