Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
For those that must due to school hols!

What are your February half terms plans, when are you crossing, what method, where are you laying over (if at all), where are you sliding?

Are you pinned to the webcams a lot will change in 6 weeks?

This will be our first trip with MGS, crossing early(ish) on Friday 9th on the tunnel, with a layover Macon Sud.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We do exactly the same thing, December and Feb, nice easy trip (for us burgers) to Fügen. Normally Christmas is lacking snow and Feb has more. Hoping that’s the deal this year again!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're heading down to Ashford Thursday night and then crossing very early Friday to then drive down to Annecy then an early start to head up to Val D'isere before all the main transfers etc.

Drove a similar trip last year although this year we are in an EV so will be interesting and fun change.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fri evening Eurotunnel. Stop somewhere like Chalons-en-Champagne. Drive and queue up a lot before making the final trip to Val d’Isere.

We are staying in La Daille. Dreading the long drive to be honest but the thrill of the final run up to the resort keeps me going.

Back will ski on the Sat then drive up to stay near Lyon. Better to see the massive traffic jam up than being in the massive traffic jam down.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friday morning euro tunnel, stopping at Maçon, a new stop over for us and then to La Plagne Soleil which is new too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flight to Milan and car hire into the Dolomites. A week in an area (San Vigilio but there are others) without too many British
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob_Quads wrote:
this year we are in an EV so will be interesting and fun change.

Interesting use of the word "fun". Better make sure you wear your gloves and hats so you can have the heaters turned off Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fly to Geneva on 19th Feb, train to Riddes then up to La Tzoumaz for a few days.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are people stopping in Maçon? We are fond of the ibis there, but in March.
Half term we are flying to Switzerland. Sometimes it’s quiet but this year we overlap with German holidays/Carneval so it’s going to be busier than usual Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyramus wrote:
Better make sure you wear your gloves and hats so you can have the heaters turned off Toofy Grin

Nope - Will be driving it just like I did last year - speed limits all the way and heaters on (although if it was like last year I won't really need them it was so warm) Will enjoy watching Netflix for the tunnel though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^ Does it need 2 or 3 long stops en-route for charging @Rob_Quads? How do costs compare with petrol/diesel?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
^^^ Does it need 2 or 3 long stops en-route for charging @Rob_Quads? How do costs compare with petrol/diesel?

Probably 4/5 but shorter. It's better to do shorter chargers than bigger ones as the rate you get when charging >80% is worse. That said just align them with breakfast, lunch etc and the delta is not too bad. Cost wise it's probably not that much different but will be able to report back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rob_Quads wrote:
Probably 4/5 but shorter.

Plenty of time for Netflix watching.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are on early morning tunnel (6.20 am) Friday morning then drive to Logis hotel in Chamousset right at start of Maurienne Valley.

Up and out early to avoid half term traffic madness (not sure if that occours in Maurienne Valley?) and drive to Val Cenis, Lanslevillard for the week. Never been there before so looking forward to it (Normally go to Austria)

Staying in Apartment right on ski school nursery slopes in Le Haut so great location for Kids (8 & 10) 1st Ski trip - they are really excited.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@daveqpr, See you in Lanslevillard! First time for us too.
snow conditions
06.20 Eurotunnel on Friday, drive to Albertville, table booked in Station Chatel(best steaks ever) for 7.30pm

up and out for final 1.5 hours up to Sainte Foy

Ski the quiet Saturday before check in ........

key to the Friday is to get as far as possible, otherwise you ll be queuing to get up to resort.
snow report
Early flight to Geneva from LTN on 17th. 2 hour transfer to Val Thorens, so should be in resort lunchtime to collect skis, passes, etc ready for first lifts Sunday morning!

Assume the UK half terms are split with the OP heading out on the 9th??
latest report
yes, we are 16th as HT is late this year for our area.
snow report
Just checking the French HT's and seems they have most of Feb covered with the splits between 3 zones! So will be just as busy for both weeks of the UK HT.
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
06.20 Eurotunnel on Friday, drive to Albertville

Does that mean up at ~2-3am?

I've done an early tunnel like that before with a day's drive and it nearly killed me as it basically meant little to no sleep the night before then a full day drive (plus I never sleep well before travelling..).
snow report
@Pyramus, Cos we are at least 4 hrs from Ashford, we get to the Prem Inn Folkestone late, and then get an early train the following day.
ski holidays
Pyramus wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:
06.20 Eurotunnel on Friday, drive to Albertville

Does that mean up at ~2-3am?

I've done an early tunnel like that before with a day's drive and it nearly killed me as it basically meant little to no sleep the night before then a full day drive (plus I never sleep well before travelling..).

no we are only 1 hour from Eurotunnel........but yes still early enough
ski holidays
kirchberg. we'll set off on Friday the 9th at circa 3am push on down through Germany to stuttgart. loads of hotels around the airport. travelling at 4am to get to kirchberg circa 8am hopefully have missed all the traffic at that time round München. Hotel will let us have breakfast then ski.
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
06.20 Eurotunnel on Friday, drive to Albertville, table booked in Station Chatel(best steaks ever) for 7.30pm

up and out for final 1.5 hours up to Sainte Foy

Ski the quiet Saturday before check in ........

key to the Friday is to get as far as possible, otherwise you ll be queuing to get up to resort.

Will be on the 7:20 but managed to get an extra night in Sainte Foy, so drive straight through in time for wine, cheese and charcuterie on the Friday night Happy.

Then up early for a morning Ski and then back country guide in the afternoon before the crowds.

Can you tell the excitement is building!
snow conditions
I never sleep well before getting up horribly early to travel and neither do I sleep well in a hotel en route, planning to get up early in the morning. I lie awake thinking how many hundreds of miles I could be covering. Left to myself, I prefer to do the journey in one hit.
latest report
Must admit I never understand getting a few hours fitful sleep in a shabby hotel, may aswell drive through the night, ski from the car and have a nice day on the slopes while it's quiet.
snow report
Hi all

I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking to find an alternative route to La Plagne this year...last year we went drive for the first time...which went a like this....

Friday - took an afternoon Eurotunnel, with an early evening drive to Chalons en Champagne (arrived about 11pm)
Saturday - left Chalons at 6am and went on the A6 via Dijon and Lyon, then on to the A43 to Chambery to get to Albertville and La Plagne arriving about 10pm. We were nose-to-bum from Troyes to Lyon, and same again into Chambery. This was the route: https://maps.app.goo.gl/moUSB3FCtgT3WeAX6

We are doing the same stopover in Chalons again, and will leave on the Saturday morning at 6am. I was looking at possibly going on to the A40 at Dijon and then come in to the north of Chambery. Conscious that the roads to the north of Chambery are more local, I wondered if anyone had any other bright ideas? This is the route https://maps.app.goo.gl/EU7SEeWARc4Kam159

We are stuck with the late afternoon departure from Folkstone on the Friday and 6am start from Chalons on the Saturday, owing to schools etc.

Any suggestions welcome - I have seen on another thread ( https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162872 ) that going in via Geneva may be an option.

Thanks in advance!
latest report
@bantamrjv, Well I would definitely avoid the A6 if it is Paris hols too. The A39 is usually quieter. Can't advise beyond that as we never do half term.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bantamrjv, welcome to SH's.

You will never shorten the journey leaving Chalons at 6am I'm afraid. Too far North to beat the build up of traffic.

We've driven over many times but only once at HT (2022) but I've read about it a lot on here. HT or not we drive overnight, get in late morning and ski the afternoon. Rotating drivers every couple of hours, with non-driver sleeping. It is tiring but it's worth it (for us). Alternative is to take kids out of school early/half day and get as close as possible to the resort by bedtime. The closer the better.
snow report
Quote:

Too far North to beat the build up of traffic.

This. You need to avoid arriving in resort between 9 am and 5 pm. Whether you go on the A6 or (as I prefer) the A39/
snow conditions
Thanks all for the responses so far.

I'm considering coming in from the north of Geneva as an option too. Whilst longer on paper, it may well be more pleasant and avoid all the Paris traffic in Lyon/Chambery.

I know I'll have no option when I get to Annecy/Albertville but to join the queues; I've accepted that!

The other thing I have to throw in the mix is EV stops...but have done many a trip in France it's not a problem! Happy
ski holidays
bantamrjv wrote:
I'm considering coming in from the north of Geneva as an option too. Whilst longer on paper, it may well be more pleasant and avoid all the Paris traffic in Lyon/Chambery.

Will make no odds. You won't be the only one trying to find a way around the traffic.
snow conditions
@bantamrjv, it's not really my area of expertise having only done it a couple of times. Sounds like you can't get any further south of Chalons, due to the crossing time. Could you leave at 5am the next morning? That extra one hour of relatively traffic-free roads might save you two or three later in the day.
ski holidays
We're flying into Geneva on the 10th, arriving at 9.35am. So hopefully will be on the road by 10.45am - heading towards Valloire. Normally about a 2.5hr trip, how messy do you think it could get?
snow report
Quote:

I'm considering coming in from the north of Geneva as an option too

Do you mean across the Jura, via Poligny?
ski holidays
Quote:

a few hours fitful sleep in a shabby hotel

A bottle of wine stashed in my overnight bag usually helps.....
latest report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

I'm considering coming in from the north of Geneva as an option too

Do you mean across the Jura, via Poligny?

Yes - exactly that

This is what I've mapped out on GMaps
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QU7h5WG6NDHQ9u8YA
snow report
I have taken that route often, as for my journey (to Les Saisies) the mileage was actually less, it used less fuel (because of not hammering along at 80 mph), saved tolls and was a pleasant change from the motorway, though it took a bit longer. But I never did it at a peak time so I can't advise on whether it would be a good option for you. But you would need a Swiss motorway vignette - and if you don't need one anyway (I always did) that's quite an expense. As @Layne says, there are no easy options.
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
I have taken that route often, as for my journey (to Les Saisies) the mileage was actually less, it used less fuel (because of not hammering along at 80 mph), saved tolls and was a pleasant change from the motorway, though it took a bit longer. But I never did it at a peak time so I can't advise on whether it would be a good option for you. But you would need a Swiss motorway vignette - and if you don't need one anyway (I always did) that's quite an expense. As @Layne says, there are no easy options.

Thanks - I will defo be avoiding the A6 and Lyon, and instead going on the A39 at Dijon. What happens from that point on, we shall see!
latest report
@Handy Turnip, I'm no expert either but in 2022 we would have been during the Lyon bypass around 7am and once south of that it started to become stop/start. We then stopped at Albertville supermarket (estimate 10am) and then it was an hour to get the last 25 miles to Les Coches. My impression is that was a relatively good outcome.

We always ski the second Saturday and driving down late afternoon. When we come down after Christmas week (and HT 2022) the traffic is horrendous coming the other way - stretching for miles and miles barely moving. Heaven knows what time some people get into resort.

For you, leaving Geneva airport at 10:45 you will do well to get there by 6pm I reckon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy