Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term 23 Car Travel Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Starting this thread for to hear plans, questions and banter about travelling to the Alps by car in less than a month.

We are heading to Chatel and will be driving out from London on Friday 10 Feb on the 8:20 Eurotunnel crossing and returning on Sunday 19th.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember doing a half term trip, about 18 years ago, to Serre Chevalier.

A long enough journey, so did a late night Friday crossing via Euro Tunnel, with the aim to arrive, in one hit, at Chantemerle by midday(ish) on a Saturday. Just past Grenoble, the already heavy traffic ground to a halt. The next 110km took 6 lonnnnnggg hours. 4 hours longer than one might expect! Not massively inconvenient but, after a schlepp and a bit, with over tired children and ever increasingly grumpy adults, it was more than enough… Skullie

I vowed, then, to break all the ‘rules’ in the future and to avoid half term/peak school holiday ski holidays like the proverbial plague Toofy Grin

Which lasted until Easter…when we drove to La Rosiere (without any delays or incident) Laughing

The next Feb half term involved driving a day earlier and stopping overnight in Dijon. Definitely the way to go!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There’s no snow in the Alps this year….. so you should plan for snowmaggedden to hit and spend the Friday night in a sports-hall in Albertville
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jamescollings, you not seen the recent reports then Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ozboy wrote:
Starting this thread for to hear plans, questions and banter about travelling to the Alps by car in less than a month.

We are heading to Chatel and will be driving out from London on Friday 10 Feb on the 8:20 Eurotunnel crossing and returning on Sunday 19th.

8:20 AM or PM?

Paris are not on half term so you should be OK. Expect 1-2 hour delays around Geneva. Use the lorry crawler lane in uphill traffic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HilbertSpace, 8:20am. We go cross-country over the Jura’s to avoid Geneva. We pop out at Lausanne onto the Swiss motorway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ozboy, if you go that route you'll need to buy 40 CHF vignette sticker at the border. Also beware of speed limit drop in Switzerland -- there's a savage speed drop and lots of cameras just after you cross from the Jura.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HilbertSpace, I normally get good value from my CHF 40 as use it on at least 3-4 driving trips per year to Châtel. Also saves some FR motorway tolls. The speed limit drop is largely offset by the saving in distance (and traffic) and we do avoid majority of speed cameras as we are off the main route.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m not going out for half term because lack of kids so far means I can avoid it (not trying to sound smug, I promise!) but will be heading out to T3V on the eurotunnel next Friday night.

Plan is to get a crossing at 21:20 and then go through the night with two drivers. Going past Mâcon and Lyon rather than Bourge en Bresse. All things going as they should, we’ll be in the resort for cappuccino and croissants for 9:00 am ish on Saturday. Hopefully get the ski legs back on the (perhaps?) quieter change over Saturday.

I’ve done it a couple of times now and it’s gone smooth enough *so far* even with the fuel shortages of Feb 2022.

One thing that’s an absolute life saver is the e-movis tag for the autoroutes, especially when the traffic gets a bit heavier. You can save a boat load of time. It’s well worth getting one if anyone hasn’t already. No more waking up the passenger to put the ticket in the machine at the barrier (or worse, losing the ticket in the netherworld between the seat and the centre console) just cruise through at 30kph. It’s a game changer.

Now just got to practise putting on the snow chains on the driveway so I’m not trying to remember how to do it at the tag end of a 12 hour drive and in the freezing cold of an early alpine morning.

I’m kind of looking forward to it. It’s a bit of an adventure.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good luck all. Just done our run across Iberia before Christmas, with car making an unusual noise; two new wheel bearings and perhaps engine mount now being fitted! Poor thing has 200k km and doesn’t ask for much.
Do you still need yellow jackets or are they outlawed in recent years?!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It’s well worth getting one if anyone hasn’t already. No more waking up the passenger to put the ticket in the machine at the barrier (or worse, losing the ticket in the netherworld between the seat and the centre console) just cruise through at 30kph. It’s a game changer.

It takes 10 seconds extra to collect a ticket and perhaps 20 to pay. On a trip from Calais to Les Arcs that amounts to an extra 120 seconds, less than a toilet break. Or drive at 130.6 kph instead of 130. I have no compunction in waking the front seat passenger up to deal with the ticket or, indeed when we stop to swap drivers. The alternative driver sleeps in the back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Orange200, sorry to hear about your car problems and un a relatively low milage car as well.
Quote:

Do you still need yellow jackets or are they outlawed in recent years?!

Yes for France,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE

The real time is saved at the queues for the péages. There are often long queues of cars for the non “T” lanes whilst the “T only” lanes are clear. For example, on the return journey on my last trip there was a queue for the péage just north of Lyon. It was probably 40+ cars deep at all of the booths except the T lanes which were completely clear. Admittedly I did sit in the stationary traffic for 5 minutes before I realised so perhaps I didn’t maximise it fully on that occasion! Lesson learned.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear above.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, Agreed, the 40chf is immediately recouped by the saving on French tolls both ways. And the trip over the Jura breaks up the motorway monotony as well as being marginally quicker.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly agree tags saves hassle and time if busy. Remember the far right is also a tag lane, follow the lorries, useful if you’re overheight.
snow conditions
Quote:

And the trip over the Jura breaks up the motorway monotony as well as being marginally quicker.

Yes, I like that route for a change, coming down to the Swiss motorway to head into France. But I did choose it, coming home one time, without sufficient thought when there was quite a bit of snow about. I realised my mistake when the truck in front of me slithered and skidded alarmingly to a halt halfway up a hill. I had winter tyres and was able to squeeze past and carry on but at reduced speed and heightened vigilance, with some cars stopping in awkward places to put chains on. So be wary - in dodgy weather it's best to stick to the autoroute, even if you have winter tyres.
ski holidays
I like the route through Jura too (although avoid half term anyway) its a nice change of scenery after driving a fair distance on autoroute from calais. Usually we've used that way when going to 4V Champèry, Zinal areas. Just about reaches 1000mtrs altitude I remember.

Also like driving through the night from Friday evening to arrive early morning at ski village feeling probably a bit too smug, really hate queuing on road and do everything to avoid.

Hope everyone on here gets a good trip too.
snow report
There are a bunch of routes over the Jura and it’s best to avoid Besançon and Pontarlier as they get local traffic.

My route:

Exit motorway at Polingy
Champagnole
Bonnevaux
Les Hapitaux-Vieux (good supermarket stop)
Jougne
Vallorbe (border crossing)
Swiss motorway
snow conditions
Having travelled the busy half term Saturday minus one day for ages to avoid the rush, was informed a few days back due to A level mocks being on the Friday, needed to change. Luckily, was not problematic shifting back one day for both travel and accommodation, but will be interesting to find out how much busier the drive down and back will be esp around Geneve. Am tempted to try the Jura route for first time - destination near Evian. The above posts very useful info, ta!
latest report
Why is everyone talking about this route?

We never use it. It’s rubbish.
We never enjoy the flow and lack of traffic.
We never have a wonderful picnic at the river at Oye et Pallet
We always think that we’d far rather be stuck in long queues on the autoroute

Nope it’s awful. Stay away.
snow report
The route I've used, through past the airport and out towards Chamonix on the A40, is mostly the N5 through Poligny (nice little place, stop and buy some Comte cheese) and Champagnole, and is signposted "Geneva" or "Dijon" most of the way. But there are two routes down at the south end - I prefer to avoid the long tedious descent into Ferney Voltaire by going through Saint Cergue and joining the motorway a bit further east, near Nyon. That's also the best was back north. It's a nice change from blasting down the motorway if the weather's clement.
ski holidays
We're also due out for the half term - first time driving so will be interesting to see how it goes. We are trying to split it up so driving down to Ashford on the Thursday before getting the 7:36am tunnel across and then making our way down to Annecy where we will stop for the night and then head up the hill early Sat. Only frustration is we can't book the car park at the hotel so hopefully it won't be full otherwise we might have some fun.

Also going self catered although at quite a nice place this time so hopefully should be fine (Chalet Skadi in Val d'Isère)

Heading back we are just planning a nice early start on the Sat and just going for it - Went for a Flexiplus to try and reduce the delay at the tunnel as we really don't know when we are going to end up getting there.

Q - Do they put fuel prices on the motorways or will I need to rely on the likes if ViaMichellen to work out where to stop. Hopefully should only take a couple spots with over 550 miles out of a tank at motorway speeds.
snow report
@Rob_Quads

On the autoroutes there are often signs telling you the prices for the upcoming petrol station. However, much like in the UK, motorway fuel prices are considerably higher than supermarkets etc. If you’re not pushed for time and it’s not such a detour, it may be worth your while coming off the autoroute for 5 minutes to fill up.
latest report
Friday 10th 2 hour drive to the tunnel, 0650 train, overnight stop at ibis Macon. Return Saturday 18th late afternoon tunnel. Will be home dinner time for a take away curry and few beers.
snow report
I can never be bothered to drive off the motorway to search for cheaper petrol to save the cost of a few cups of coffee in a mountain restaurant (very few, in Val d'Isere). @Rob_Quads, it sounds as though you've already booked your hotel in Annecy - good move. But aim to arrive into resort either early morning (and ski all day) or late afternoon after the hordes - maybe after 6. When you say you intend to leave "nice and early" on your final Saturday morning, that'll have to be REALLY early. Not 8 am. 6 am would be better! Personally I'd probably ski that transfer day, then leave when lifts close, stop for a meal a couple of hours later and get another hour north under your belt before stopping for the night. If you're driving north on 18 or 25 February half Paris will be driving with you.
snow report
Hamboghini wrote:
Having travelled the busy half term Saturday minus one day for ages to avoid the rush, was informed a few days back due to A level mocks being on the Friday, needed to change. Luckily, was not problematic shifting back one day for both travel and accommodation, but will be interesting to find out how much busier the drive down and back will be esp around Geneve. Am tempted to try the Jura route for first time - destination near Evian. The above posts very useful info, ta!

At any other time i would recommend staying in France for Evian but taking Jura may be a good shout on half term Saturday. Go around the lake towards Montreux and go around the eastern side.
snow report
@Rob_Quads, it's really nice going via Annecy in my experience, such a beautiful view down along the lake towards Albertville that I always try and drive that way when possible.

Leaving on the Saturday in Tarantaise Valley, if you've not experienced it, I love the whole area but acknowledge it can be very traffic bound on change over days in mid ski season. I aim for 8:30am at latest to pass through Moutiers else you can spend hours even getting there from BsM at peak days. Certainly more relaxed after you pass Moutiers and onward from there.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:

Leaving on the Saturday in Tarantaise Valley, if you've not experienced it, I love the whole area but acknowledge it can be very traffic bound on change over days in mid ski season. I aim for 8:30am at latest to pass through Moutiers else you can spend hours even getting there from BsM at peak days. Certainly more relaxed after you pass Moutiers and onward from there.

Yeah we were planning to leave around the 7am so hopefully passing through Moutiers around that sort of time. Hopefully some people will have left our chalet freeing up a parking space and then we can just park up and wander around town / chill for the day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We always left Friday evening on the return journey to avoid the Saturday queues. Stayed overnight somewhere like Macon or Dijon, home Saturday evening. I realise some like the option of skiing on Saturday but we needed to be home earlier than late Sunday. Was never inclined to drive through the night - as the sole driver that would be too tiring and dangerous.
snow report
Going to Sestriere for the first time this year (usually go to Les Arcs). Leaving Friday (10 Feb) after school, get to Calais about midnight and driving through the night (2 drivers). Heading back on Saturday morning for an evening ferry so should be home before midnight. Any tips for the best route to Sestriere? Is it better to go via the Frejus tunnel or through Switzerland and then Turin?
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
There are a bunch of routes over the Jura and it’s best to avoid Besançon and Pontarlier as they get local traffic.

My route:

Exit motorway at Polingy
Champagnole
Bonnevaux
Les Hapitaux-Vieux (good supermarket stop)
Jougne
Vallorbe (border crossing)
Swiss motorway

Where do you buy your vignette going that route? Beforehand/the customs post/the BP that seems to be just after the border?
ski holidays
@Mjit, you can buy it at the border crossing from the guards. There are also petrol stations and convenience stores adjacent to the border post if you park.
snow report
Rob_Quads wrote:
ski3 wrote:

Yeah we were planning to leave around the 7am so hopefully passing through Moutiers around that sort of time. Hopefully some people will have left our chalet freeing up a parking space and then we can just park up and wander around town / chill for the day

Leaving VDI at 7am is way too late.........you ll be queueing to get down to BSM and then probably all the way along the road through Moutiers.

you need to be away by 5.30am latest imho.............unless you love sitting in slow moving traffic
snow report
Rob_Quads wrote:
We're also due out for the half term - first time driving so will be interesting to see how it goes. We are trying to split it up so driving down to Ashford on the Thursday before getting the 7:36am tunnel across and then making our way down to Annecy where we will stop for the night and then head up the hill early Sat. Only frustration is we can't book the car park at the hotel so hopefully it won't be full otherwise we might have some fun.

Also going self catered although at quite a nice place this time so hopefully should be fine (Chalet Skadi in Val d'Isère)

Heading back we are just planning a nice early start on the Sat and just going for it - Went for a Flexiplus to try and reduce the delay at the tunnel as we really don't know when we are going to end up getting there.

Q - Do they put fuel prices on the motorways or will I need to rely on the likes if ViaMichellen to work out where to stop. Hopefully should only take a couple spots with over 550 miles out of a tank at motorway speeds.

we stop twice for fuel...once just after Reims, there is LECLERC at the shopping centre just off the motorway, which is less busy than motorway services, cleaner toilets and cheaper fuel

second stop is La Motte Servolex at Chambery, again easy and just off motorway
ski holidays
I can't be the only person who points where the SatNav tells me and adds fuel when it's required rather than having preferred stations/stops just off the motorway?
I have not idea where I am other than in France and either driving south toward the alps or north on the way home the exact location and route are of no interest.
snow conditions
lets hope your sat nav doesnt break then LOL
ski holidays
Quote:

points where the SatNav tells me

can lead you badly astray in the Alps. A post last week where satnav took someone driving to Les Deux Alpes up a very hairy, very narrow, steep winding road. If there had been any normal quantity of snow around they'd have been stuffed. People coming to visit us sometimes ignored my warnings not to rely on satnav and ended up on very unsuitable roads.
latest report
The difference in fuel prices between motorway and off motorway will not make a huge difference to the overall cost of your ski holiday (5 Euros a tank maybe?). However, there are several supermarkets were it is virtually no different to pull off to than is to pull off into a service station. So that's what we do. We have a few we just know as you'd expect after quite a few trips. It's a bit like the doofer thing really. It's not a biggy but more why wouldn't you.
snow conditions
James77 wrote:
I can't be the only person who points where the SatNav tells me and adds fuel when it's required rather than having preferred stations/stops just off the motorway?
I have not idea where I am other than in France and either driving south toward the alps or north on the way home the exact location and route are of no interest.

Our fuel stops are largely governed by bladders. Our rule is if we stop for toilet, everyone goes to the toilet and we top up the take (even if it’s 3/4 full). If we stop for fuel everyone goes to the loo. In practice it’s 2 fairly quick stops and avoids me playing chicken with yeh fuel tank when the fuel light comes on.
snow report
@Ozboy, Similar for us too. Kids can require a stop at a moments notice even though they're both old enough to monitor the urge! I tend to fill when I'm around a third of a tank sounds odd but at best I get 400 to a tank at 80mph and over 2 tonne with the luggage when I hit 1qtr doesn't take long before I lost another chunk and the light wants to come on. Keeping topped up makes for a more relaxing cruise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy