Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The end of skiing as we know it is nigh?

Poster: A snowHead
@On the rocks, well so far another year of the new normal
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s not going to be climate change that directly stops me skiing
It’ll be the hoards of people changing from low snowless resorts to high resorts making piste skiing a very unpleasant crowded and dangerous thing to do
This January has been the busiest encountered no quiet week anymore
That and the huge price hikes that high resorts will extort
Hoping to make the most of the next few years no question that we older skiers have had the best of the snow years
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes the predictions are coming true. Crying or Very sad

Lower resorts continuing to close, high resorts becoming increasingly busy/expensive to the point it will be even more limited to the extremely wealthy, for a few months of the year.

Depressing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just finished my first day at Soldeu and it's Spring skiing - at the start of February!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's the new norm. Last February was the same, though to be fair this year the base is slightly better.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pyramus, cheer the F up. I had 3 seasons on the trot in the early 1990s that were exactly like this - and snowmaking hadn't been invented. Just sayin'. It's all a bit knee jerk to predict the end of skiing based on only a few years.

Prices, overcrowding, inconsiderate and inept participants are making it less fun though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pyramus, I think you are right. Put your ski gear on eBay now and take up sand bowls. I would have suggested lawn bowls, but there will not be enough water.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ulmerhutte, Actually with current limitations skiing is becoming as boring as lawn bowls, I still enjoy doing a bit to keep my hand in. My main activity these days is sea kayaking, ideally in challenging weather conditions, and no shortage of water too
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@On the rocks, come to the Arlberg, for there are still plenty of lines that are likely to get the adrenaline flowing, even in this warm spell. But if sea kayaking floats your boat (sorry Toofy Grin ), then go for it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ulmerhutte wrote:
I would have suggested lawn bowls, but there will not be enough water.

Laughing

Yup, hosepipe bans will be the end of lawn bowls.

Man I'm cheery today. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pyramus wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
I would have suggested lawn bowls, but there will not be enough water.

Laughing

Yup, hosepipe bans will be the end of lawn bowls.

Man I'm cheery today. Laughing

Yup, in 2007, Australia’s Chief Climate Commissioner Tim Flannery claimed the dams will never fill again. Wait! What… https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-06/nsw-warragamba-dam-spill-rain-ex-tropical-cyclone-kirrilly/103429374?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=safari
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My recollection of the duff Alpine winters in the 80’s and early 90’s were months of aridity …. blocking highs. Anyone else here recall the same?

Then a huge expansion of snow making and expertise on the subject put paid to that.

The difference over these last two winters anecdotally seems to be days of torrential rain and temperatures you’d expect to see in Bordeaux in villages such as Megeve and Morzine. Whilst the alternative of the Pyrenees seems in rapid decline. The hamlet we stay at 1,000m above Schaldming was 14c today, near enough the coldest point of the year.

Val Thorens, Tignes and Val will thrive from this change. Snowheads reported packed pistes in the normally quiet weeks of January.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This may well be the rainiest ski season for the European Alps and Pyrenees ever on record.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
We’ve known about climate change for nearly 40 years now. The prediction has always been for warmer temperatures and more marginal snowfall, which seems exactly what we are getting as the snow line climbs above the summits, more often.

2023 has been an exceptionally warm year which means more saturated air and consequently heavy snow on the higher runs but rain lower down. Sadly there is a distinct absence of deep cold in the Alps now.

I was in Alberta in Jan. There was a state of emergency issued as still air temperatures dropped to -45C. Historically it was called very cold, now its called climate change
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It rained to (above) the summits in British Columbia, Canada, last week.
snow report
@Whitegold, Its not been rainy in the Pyrenees. The opposite, they are in the middle of a huge drought.
snow conditions
Have to say it's having a huge impact on ski-touring, in that for many going on a day ski-tour rather than at altitude hut to hut, their options are very limited unless they want to hike for 90mins to get to the snow-line, however there are only so many places that you can drive to if the snowline is circa 2k.

Yesterday we ski-toured up at the Lautarer / Galibier sector and I've never seen so many cars parked up, fortunately, you can still lose yourself but normally this time of year mid-week I reckon there was 8X as many cars etc
snow conditions
I posted this in the climate change thread in Snow Reports and Conditions too, didn’t know which thread it suited best. admins please feel free to consolidate and remove one if necessary.

http://youtube.com/v/9Ic0klFqawU?si=efddEWghBQ6osI66
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
I still enjoy skiing but after too many ever more expensive trips with poor off piste conditions (maybe I’ve been particularly unlucky?) I’ve decided to reduce my skiing to one January week a year at snow sure(ish!) high level resort, taking all mountain skis to enjoy the pistes but able to take advantage of an occasional off piste day if I’m lucky.
I’ve decided to concentrate my time and cash on non-snow dependant sports. Is anyone else taking or considering a similar transition?

Not me.

Skiing is a recreation for me. So I only do it when it makes sense. 2 years living in Florida. I flew to Colorado for a long weekend of skiing on year one. That was just a habit perpetuating from my previous life. By year 2, I stopped skiing. Doesn’t make sense to ski just a few days. By the time I got my “ski legs” back, I’d be done with the trip and back to the warm sea coast.

But moving back up north, I started skiing again. Not having to shell out plane tickets, chasing storms when the weather cooperates, the expense was tolerable and the skiing experience enjoyable. As my income grew, and my vacation time more abundant, I spend more time in the mountains, skiing and working whenever is suitable. I may even move further north (to Canada) to be closer to more reliable snow.

I wouldn’t think twice about giving up skiing if I don’t live near snow. But for now, I’m fine continuing where I am.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 8-02-24 17:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Good answer, @abc. If I lived far from the sea, I'd give up sailing!
snow conditions
i dont leave near snow. I count als near snow something les as 1h with the car
I need at least 2h to find reliable snow conditions e.g. Allgäu, but as long as i can, and there is snow i will "keep Walking".

The only non-snow dependant sports is yoga and fitness in order to keep skiing.
I for me something more than a hobby or recreation or something like this.
Thats why i decide to leave from my county and move somewhere where i can reach the Alps with the car and not planes etc
ski holidays
The vast majority of people on here don't live close to the mountains so if that was the criteria....

What On the rocks I believe was saying is that they want to have a good chance of decent off piste conditions. And that in recent times they haven't got that (with a question of whether that is due to climatic changes or luck). Either way they have reduced/eliminated their skiing trips. So I don't think proximity to the mountains makes too much difference. Even people close to the mountains don't just sit there waiting for good conditions. They have jobs, families and other commitments. And how close is close.

1991 to 2007 I did trips outside of school holidays and since then it's been Xmas and Easter. I find it hard to consider a pattern on this because of a number of factors - the weeks I go, the increase in snow making, the fact that mountain weather is so variable/unpredictable. On a couple of recent trips there has been weather I haven't seen before (mostly around sustained high freezing levels).

I too like to be in with a shout of decent off piste. And in that regard, things are still good for me. Bear in mind I do tend to go places with altitude and I have a positive mindset.
snow conditions
@Layne, it’s a matter of reward to cost ratio.

So the further away one lives from the mountain, the higher the cost. Even if the reward remains unchanged, rising cost may make some people feel the reward not worth it.

Add to that the warming climate, the reward is getting more uncertain.

The reason I haven’t given up skiing isn’t entirely due to the proximity to snow of my chose place to live. It also coincide with my expanded vacation time, which allow me to fly to far away places less affected by the warming climate. Ironically, some of those far away places aren’t any more expensive than places close by! (Mostly by staying longer, offsetting the higher cost of the flight) So I keep the reward much the same, as well as keeping the expense constant.

I think the OP may wish to look into what Border2020 etc. do and get some idea on how to jazz up his experience.
snow conditions
Reading The Times today it seems that skiing could end up being a requirement to get around in the future … https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cdfd319e-e2a8-4d7e-848c-460295af7af1?shareToken=a18a096e3de1f0be0b39bd05da51aaaa
latest report
@Blackblade, A lot colder but drier too
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/atlantic-ocean-circulation-nearing-devastating-tipping-point-study-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
snow conditions
Could do with it happening in the next month to save the UK ski season Laughing

Apparently there is a sudden stratospheric warming event about to take place so that might bring a sting in the tail…..or not
ski holidays

Never seen this before, St Anton apparently.
snow report
A reptation on a piste - unusual to say the least.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy