Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Four weeks in Europe - January 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Now that Christmas is over I'm starting to think about options for the France leg of our trip. We would love to go to Briancon/Serre Chevalier area if conditions are good but we're open to other suggestions.

1. We would prefer not to go to one of the mega complexes in the Tarantaise or Chamonix again. We'd prefer somewhere where French is the primary language and English is not so common.
2. A real town is good. We don't mind driving up to an hour each way to ski each day but would like to have some local skiing accessible from the town. (I understand the driving bit is not everyone's cup of tea but we're fine with it. Probably due to our first taste of real skiing being in Canada and USA where accommodation is often not at the resort).
3. Some time skiing off piste would be great but we'll be happy if we have to stick to the groomers.
4. I am told snow conditions generally speaking are decent over 2000 metres but rain affected below that elevation so access to relatively high terrain would be ideal.

Which is the nicest town/village in the Maurienne Valley? Best town which is accessible to both Les Duex Alps and Alpe d'Huez? Valmeinier/Valloire an option?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Landeck is a perfectly sensible spot if you want to experience the various areas in the western Tirol. Serfaus / Fiss is nearby, there are regular buses from the train station, easy for access.

St Anton is an easy train ride, the station is in the centre of the village about a 5 minute walk (not ideal in ski boots, there are lockers in the station or in the ski hire spots next to the lift) to the main lift also regular bus connections to Zürs & Lech. Perfectly possible to have a decent day out including a beer at the Moose or KK and get back to Landeck. Only thing to note is that the train only runs every two hours (the other "hour" trains stop in Langen on the other side of the Arlberg pass with bus connections to Zürs & Lech) but there are buses too which are roughly hourly. If you want to do some travelling on skis you could take a morning train to Langen then bus onto Zürs, ski Zürsertäli (great run with wonderful scenery) and Madloch and onto Lech, have early lunch on the terraces at Oberlech before skiing to St Anton for the train back to Landeck

There are buses to Ischgl but they are pretty slow and Ischgl is a fair way down the Paznauntal, about 40 minutes in a car. You might be better off hiring a car for the day. There are a couple of smaller places in the Paznauntal, See & Kappl which are a bit closer to Landeck, same bus as Ischgl.

If you have a hire car easy to get to Samnaun ("other" side of Ischgl, linguistically & geographically part of the Tirol but in Switzerland) or Nauders at the Reschen Pass. The Kaunertal & Pitztal glacier areas are too small and too far to be worth the effort.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 30-12-23 11:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, good info. Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sbooker wrote:

Which is the nicest town/village in the Maurienne Valley? Best town which is accessible to both Les Duex Alps and Alpe d'Huez? Valmeinier/Valloire an option?
Thanks in advance.

In the Maurienne valley Modane is very convenient but not particularly attractive.
We have found cheap accommodation in the past in Bessans which is a Hamlet with x country and convenient for the Haute Maurienne but less good for the resorts further down the valley. Termignon gives you access straight to the slopes and is a decent drive to other places.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:
Which is the nicest town/village in the Maurienne Valley? Best town which is accessible to both Les Duex Alps and Alpe d'Huez?

The Maurienne valley isn't easily accessible from either Les Deux Alpes or Alpe d'Huez in the Winter. What are you thinking of doing?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, sorry. All seperate questions. I’m hoping to find a good base to ski several hills if possible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sbooker wrote:
@rjs, sorry. All seperate questions. I’m hoping to find a good base to ski several hills if possible.

Staying in Briancon/Serre Chevalier with daytrip options to La Grave, Montgenevre/Claviere & Puy St Vincent would be good as there is some real rustic French charm in that area.

Alpe d'Huez and Les2Alpes are purpose-built French resorts with the usual mish-mash of modern structures, not what you're looking for.

The villages of Serre Chevalier like Monetier, Villeneuve & Chantemerle have old centres, as does Briancon with its walled centre and there is a kernel of old buildings along the old pass road at Montgenevre. La Grave is also full of old stone buildings, very French. PSV is modern family ski station, but newer buildings are in the chalet style.Also, it's not without challenges and off-piste options in the upper bowl.

As for the Maurienne Valley, the town of Modane is well situated to hit all the resorts (Valfrejus, La Norma, Aussois, Valmeinier/Valloire, Val Cenis, including the back door into the 3Vallees at Orelle), but it's not that charming a place, more an industry and transport hub.

Lanslebourg in the Val Cenis ski area has a lot of charm and Bonneval-sur-Arc is as quaint as they come, but they are in the upper part of the valley, a bit of a trek back to the ski stations around and below Modane.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker,
Espace Diamant, Megeve/St-Gervais, Grand Massif, Vaujany for Les Deux Alpes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luigi, great info. Thanks. Briancon is at the top of the list. Just need the snow to do it’s thing.
@Kenzie, if the snow is better in the north St Gervais looks good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie wrote:
Vaujany for Les Deux Alpes.

Vaujany offers a back door into Alpe d'Huez. It is an old original village, now extended with sympathetic modern development.

I guess the old market town of Bourg d'Oisans has considerable rustic French charm and is fairly convenient for commuting to both Alpe d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes, if those ski areas appeal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Cervinia websites suggests the ‘Alpne Crossing’ into Zermatt is shut for maintenance until March 31. Is that the main crossing to Zermatt? Or only crossing? Or just one of them?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sbooker wrote:
The Cervinia websites suggests the ‘Alpne Crossing’ into Zermatt is shut for maintenance until March 31. Is that the main crossing to Zermatt? Or only crossing? Or just one of them?

I believe that is to do with the Summer 'without skis' crossing. They recently constructed a new 3 cable mega gondola lift from Testa Grigia up to the side of the Klein Matterhorn (in grey on the piste map below) that connects with the other similar lift that was constructed a few years back from Trockener Steg on the Zermatt side. It means pedestrians can now cross from Cervinia to Zermatt without needing to ski. I suspect it is this new lift that will be unavailable through winter.

https://www.cervinia.it/en/cosa-fare/matterhorn-alpine-crossing

https://www.bergfex.com/zermatt/panorama/

All the old ways of crossing with skis should still be available in winter. Once you're up at Testa Grigia or Theodulpass, you can ski all the way down to Zermatt. You return via the mega gondola from Trockener Steg to Klein Matterhorn and do the thigh-burning Ventina run down all the way down into Cervinia.

I just noticed you asked the same Q on the Zermatt weather thread... snowHead

The answer given there chimes with what is posted on the Zermatt Bergbahnen website which specifies it is the new lift that will be closed:

Zermatt Bergbahnen wrote:
From 8 January 2024 to the end of March 2024, the Matterhorn Glacier Ride II between Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Testa Grigia will be closed due to maintenance work.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-01-24 0:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@luigi, thanks. Great info. Just need to get a fine day with little wind. I’m sure there will be a suitable day within the 5 days we are in Aosta.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh. And what is the time frame for getting all the lifts from Cervinia to the top. I would guess about an hour?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sbooker wrote:
Oh. And what is the time frame for getting all the lifts from Cervinia to the top. I would guess about an hour?

You can park at the big car park at the far end of the resort. Walk through to the lifts. On the left side looking up, there is a series of 5 chairlifts that lead up to Theodulpass. If it's a nice day, that's the best way of getting up and over as you don't have to take your skis off. Never timed it, but probably only 40-45mins to the top.
ski holidays
@luigi, thanks!
snow conditions
This time next week we’ll have to be honing in on a likely location for our France leg. We arrive on the 26th and first ski day will be 27th. Seems most mountains have adequate snow over about 2000 metres but the chance of rain to high elevation over the next week or so.
As previously mentioned we want to go somewhere a little less touristy and a little bit more French. First choice would be Briancon with Maurienne valley second and Saint Gervais third.
Any other suggestions?
latest report
sbooker wrote:
This time next week we’ll have to be honing in on a likely location for our France leg. We arrive on the 26th and first ski day will be 27th. Seems most mountains have adequate snow over about 2000 metres but the chance of rain to high elevation over the next week or so.
As previously mentioned we want to go somewhere a little less touristy and a little bit more French. First choice would be Briancon with Maurienne valley second and Saint Gervais third.
Any other suggestions?

There are a lot of smaller more rustic resorts in France, but you need a certain amount of infrastructure to be able to have a good size ski area, which then attracts more tourists, so I think plumping for somewhere mid-range in size that is based around original villages, rather than the Tarentaise ski factories will give you what you're looking for.

Briancon and Serre Chevalier with Montgenevre and La Grave up the road will be the best option assuming the snow is good.

The other two options are OK, but St G is a 19th century spa town as opposed to a rustic village. And the Maurienne is a deep stark valley and some of the resorts are modern ski stations.

I can't really think of any others with French rustic charm and a bit off the beaten track, but still a good enough ski area.

It's very pretty around the Chatel end of the Portes du Soleil maybe??
snow report
@luigi, @sbooker wasn't asking for "rustic" but just more French and less touristy. I fear he will hear English-speaking voices in most places, and restaurants know that they need to be able to respond in English to get trade.

Briancon's historic old town will certainly seem special and different from most ski resorts, and @sbooker may find it more authentically French for that reason although to be fair similar hilltop fortified towns are found in other countries (Italy, Spain). But the old town is about a mile from the gondola station, and skiers are likely to be staying in that somewhat characterless area. It gives access to one end of the Serre Chevalier ski area which has a lot to enjoy, and with plenty of Snowheads able to answer specific queries.

St Gervais (where we have an apartment) did indeed have a life as a spa town before becoming a ski resort, and as a result the centre has an architectural style different from most resorts; what is known in France as "Belle Epoque", the style around the turn of the twentieth century. The centre is close enough to the gondola for it to be a realistic area to stay. The skiing is probably mostly more mellow than Serre Chevalier, but there is a lot of mileage if you include Les Contamines and Combloux (same lift pass but needing bus connections or a drive). Again plenty of advice.

The Maurienne is rather different, a region where there are multiple small resorts and I am not sure where the best base would be and how attractive a place to stay. However as a general rule it is those smaller resorts that feel most French, even if each only justifies a day visit by car. But I admit I don't know the area, all I have ever done is ski down to Orelle from the Three Valleys and ski to St Francois-Longchamps when based in Valmorel.
snow report
@luigi, @j b, interesting comments. Thanks.
It’d be easier to make a call without the roller coast type weather that has been common this season.
latest report
Hmm. Difficult, especially in view of the fairly grim weather forecast. Personally I'm very fond of St Gervais as a town and have visited several times (most recently in May 2023) but never skied there. I know the Les Contamines skiing well, but not the village (which I suspect is moderately dull) having always approached from the Belleville side.

There are places where you are unlikely to hear much English spoken, if that's important - Les Saisies is one, but the OP might not find the skiing particularly exciting. Lots of the smaller Maurienne resorts are very "French" but in the same way as Worthing is "very English". It's not a Mecca for "tourists" but that doesn't necessarily make it worth visiting. Lots of places which are "not touristy" are just plain dull.

La Clusaz is very French and a proper town. Has a reputation amongst (French) locals as being very up itself, but to those of us who aren't French, perhaps French toffs are more agreeable than English ones?

To go to a really "off the beaten track" place, could try Areches-Beaufort, especially if you fancy some touring and doing an "introduction to touring" day with a local guide. I did that, actually some way from A-B, far from any lifts, but much enjoyed the change of pace and scene, even if I was not a huge success at the actual skiing. I acquitted myself well on the uphill - being properly dressed for it, unlike the two young French people on the trip (who were far better skiers, and much younger, but stupidly attired in downhill gear). But fairly hopeless on the ski down. But really "away from it all". But that was a stunningly beautiful day, cold but windless, and in glorious surroundings, all very snowy.

I'd suggest the later you can leave decisions about where to go the end of next week, the better, given the widespread rain forecast Wednesday-Thursday. The best bet might be somewhere high altitude and touristy such as Tignes. Provided you're OK skiing in the snow!
latest report
There’s nothing at all stark about the picturesque village of Valloire and the views from 3,000 meters at Bonneval sur Arc are pretty good…yes you have to travel around The Maurienne Valley but that’s what makes it a pretty good base as you can pick and choose from where to ski depending on that’s days weather and even nip into Italy if you fancy it at Bardonnechia or Sauze…and you will struggle to hear English voices and very few of the locals speak English at all.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you have a cracking trip wherever you decide to end up.
ski holidays
@pam w, I’ve got nothing against the big resorts and will be at both Tignes and Val Thorens in April. Just chasing something different this time.
snow conditions
@andmelffion, thanks. Maurienne valley does sound appealing.
ski holidays
@sbooker, My introduction to really French resorts has been through racing. Have done a mix of driving from the Espace Diamant on the day and staying in a cheap hotel in the valley. Smaller places seem more interested in organizing races than the big resorts.
snow conditions
I don't know the Maurienne Valley resorts well (except one week in Valmeinier/valloire some years ago) but have driven along it several times to get to Italy and back through the Frejus tunnel and taken son and grandson to Modane for train. It is a bit harsh to describe it as "bleak" but it is not one of the most obviously appealing alpine valleys (compared, for example, to the Arly Valley where Megeve and Praz sur Arly are situated) and I can only agree with the very well-informed @luigi that Modane is not a charming place. It struck me as a miserable dump when I was there. Very French, and certainly not touristy, but it felt, superficially, like a fairly tough place, where life has been hard for centuries. We were early for the train they had to catch, and had coffee and a very basic croissant in one of those little cafés frequented by old French guys. In the sleety rain. But if "not touristy" is a criterion, it certainly ticks that box. As does, for example, Bradford.

If you want French skiing in a place where FOREIGN tourists don't go, and which has not been comprehensively made twee in the form of new developments described as "Savoyarde" and which have induced some deluded observers to describe Val d'Isere as an "attractive traditional village" then you could do a lot worse than the Espace Diamant, especially the Arly Valley runs (Praz sur Arly and Flumet) including some slow chairs and fiendish drag lifts. They are authentically French! And some delightful, not too expensive, places to eat on the slopes. You could spend days there and hear little or no English. BUT to be enjoyed those slopes need good snow down to the valley. And that's looking elusive at present. Skiing on the "wrong" side of Megeve (next town down the valley) up to Le Jaillet also highly recommended if the snow is good - with stunning views of Mont Blanc. And Combloux, though not having much claim to be "authentic" is a very attractive and well equipped village, not as ridiculously over the top as Megeve, though we did find several wines prices at over 100 euros a bottle in the local supermarket when we were there last May for a few days. Didn't see anywhere you could rent a silly little dog for the week, though.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Lots of the smaller Maurienne resorts are very "French" but in the same way as Worthing is "very English".

Brilliant. The surreal mental image of Worthing-in-the-Alps appeals to my sense of humour.
snow report
andmelffion wrote:
There’s nothing at all stark about the picturesque village of Valloire and the views from 3,000 meters at Bonneval sur Arc are pretty good…yes you have to travel around The Maurienne Valley but that’s what makes it a pretty good base as you can pick and choose from where to ski depending on that’s days weather and even nip into Italy if you fancy it at Bardonnechia or Sauze…and you will struggle to hear English voices and very few of the locals speak English at all.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you have a cracking trip wherever you decide to end up.

Ah yes, the beautiful Maurienne in winter...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CMoePSTDPbp3tAU3A

and the train yards of Modane are not to be missed...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tJzQ9grLSh9KyFky8

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Modane scratched off the list. Laughing
snow report
@pam w, There are places with even fewer English visitors than the Espace Diamant, I ended up on the same chair as an English couple on the Legette yesterday. I really don't think you will hear any English spoken at Collet d'Allevard or Les Aillons. A visit to somewhere with brutalist architecture like Le Corbier or Isola 2000 should maybe be part of the full French ski experience too.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:

OTOH, there is a thread by a UK snowhead who has bought an apartment in Modane and seems happy with it.
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:

TBF I did pick out some of the starkest images of the Maurienne Valley, I'm sure there are redeeming parts, like up at Valloire or Bonneval and the centre of Modane has some nice buildings for a workaday French town, but I just remember it being deep, dark and starkly industrial in winter.
snow report
That bit past the huge factory, where there's a magnetic anomaly signposted on the road, is kind of interesting. And that extraordinary series of hairpin bends, on the left as you drive towards the tunnel, looks interesting too. But it's quite a harsh landscape compared to many Alpine Valleys (even the Arve Valley, which isn't particularly lovely for the most part).
ski holidays
If you’re into trains I’m sure Modane (usually, prior to landslide and none in the town) is heaven to you

But if you prefer mountains then the views aren’t at all bad…happy holiday

https://app.webcam-hd.com/valcenis/la-met

Or above Modane

https://www.valfrejus.com/en/webcam/

https://www.la-norma.fr/en/webcam/
latest report
@andmelffion, the best ski resort in the valley for ease of access and egress? As in shortest drive from the highway?
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
@andmelffion, the best ski resort in the valley for ease of access and egress? As in shortest drive from the highway?

Depends on where you decide to get accommodation…but easiest resort off highway would be Valmeinier ,nearest lift is Girodiere at about 15 mins up the hill, this allows you to either drop across to Valmeinier or Valloire - Valloire itself is approx 30 mins (18kms) from the highway and is a lovely French village (Valmeinier is purpose built so nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing)

https://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Valmeinier-Piste-Map-2021.pdf

If you stay in St Jean de Maurienne then the resorts of Les Sybelles or Les Karellis (small but has great skiing) are within 20 to 30 mins. One of our favourite areas to ski is Bonneval sur Arc at the top of the valley, bit of a drag at up to 60 mins (depending on your accommodation location) but starts at 1800 meters and goes up to 3000 meters so the snow conditions are usually fantastic and you get to drive through the interesting and quirky village of Bessans (large cross country skiing area)

The valley is very industrialised with aluminium having been mined since the end of the 19th century so it’s not picture perfect, but is very welcoming with little English spoken..…the aluminium museum in St Michel de Maurienne is worth a visit if you take a day off the slopes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 14-01-24 14:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@pam w,
You won't hear much English spoken in Bradford, unless it is Japanese Bronte fans heading to Haworth & Top Withens.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
@pam w,
You won't hear much English spoken in Bradford, unless it is Japanese Bronte fans heading to Haworth & Top Withens.

Ee bah gum! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I was rather unkind about Modane, but it's certainly more authentic than Val d'Isere.
latest report
rjs wrote:
I really don't think you will hear any English spoken at Collet d'Allevard

Echoing this, I've been going to Le Collet d'Allevard since the early 80s, maybe spent 30 weeks there in total, and I've encountered a total of one other English-speaking group (a Canadian family) there, once. Lovely station, and I'd really recommend it if there's good snow cover (on the contrary, if it's thin, or starting to melt, then it's no fun at all): it's a lovely example of a very French place to go. Many would find it too small, but I've never got bored there even on a two-week trip: it's true that you could easily ski every piste in considerably less than a day, but I find that there's a nice variety of different kinds of run, including some lovely, challenging ungroomed blacks, and the 'triangle' is fantastic after a dump of fresh snow. It's also a nice night-skiing area (always used to be Tuesdays and Friday evenings, but now I think it's Fridays only).

I don't know how many nights you want to spend in different places, or how much driving you want to do (if you're anything like some of my Australian friends who think nothing of driving from Cardiff to Cornwall and back in a day, then you won't be fazed by the distances), but visiting a range of different places might be a nice option. You could certainly combine Le Collet with e.g. Les 7 Laux and have a few enjoyable days skiing where lots of the locals from the Grésivaudan do. You could easily work your way up from Briançon skiing somewhere different every day or so, and sampling a wide variety of different stations. Or if you're prepared to drive a little longer each day (and/or don't fancy so many changes of accommodation) you could base yourself somewhere in the valley and make a bunch of day trips.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy