Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with skis: number of skis in bag

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We usually pack 3 pairs of skis in a snowboard bag when we travel and it's always within the 23kg limit.

I phoned Air Canada to add a ski bag to our booking and they asked how many pairs of skis will be in the bag. I've never been asked this before!
Has anyone been asked at check in? And were there consequences to having multiple pairs? Can they even look?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 of the pairs are junior skis if you're wondering how we fit them!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
International, they never ask, they do not care. There are no consequences. They sometimes look at the outsize baggage drop (eg if you have an airbag), but that's a security issue only. You can take skis for free with AC (in addition to the standard allowance...), or take them as your standard allowance, international flights.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a domestic flight they asked for. Do you know if the rules are different for domestic?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take bindings off put in main baggage. (Quiver killers or slide off the track)
It's one pair of skis.
Never had an issue in Europe and Canada inc. domestic. Although Canada was quite a while ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To answer the questions posed

Of course they can look, to check whats in a bag, be it to check for items that they will not carry and transgresses their rules of carriage or the countries’ laws.

But I’ve never had any airline that Ive taken a ski bag with (being BA, EJ or Swiss) ask how many pairs were inside or physically check the contents.

I imagine that if you took more than their terms of carriage allow, that if lost they would only reimburse for the numbers of pairs allowed. If you had more than that, too bad for you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 14-12-23 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thick As wrote:
Take bindings off put in main baggage. (Quiver killers or slide off the track)
It's one pair of skis.
Never had an issue in Europe and Canada inc. domestic. Although Canada was quite a while ago.

I guess I'm just not keen on lying, even though it would be a silly rule to dictate number of skis. Especially when 2 are kids skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This used to concern me until I realised that all that may matter is weight - so now I check with the airline what the limit is, and fill the bag with skis and anything else I need to!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hexy wrote:
This used to concern me until I realised that all that may matter is weight - so now I check with the airline what the limit is, and fill the bag with skis and anything else I need to!

That's what I thought was the case, I've flied for years with skis, but this time I was asked the number if skis in the bag by Air Canada.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the past, when I'd had a conversation with Air Canada about it, its been related to insurance - if your bag were to go missing in transit the airline would only be liable for 1 pair (or board) rather than the whole contents of the bag.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
In the past, when I'd had a conversation with Air Canada about it, its been related to insurance - if your bag were to go missing in transit the airline would only be liable for 1 pair (or board) rather than the whole contents of the bag.

Ah... that makes sense. Thank you!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster, I've been asked how many pairs I've had in a bag, probably BA or EJ. Think I answered honestly that there were two pairs and didn't get any push back. I don't think the T&Cs for their sports equipment limits the quantity, just weight...although the latter annoys me for EJ because you can book large sports equipment with 32kg but they won't let you count skis as large (although in the past I'd booked them as a hang glider or somesuch)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When our skis went awol the TO provided free hire ones till they arrived. They would only provide one pair per ski bag.
One or two folk kicking off as they had other kit in with their skis.
In all the years skiing I have only had one trip where the skis didn't get loaded. They got to us on the Wednesday night and had been through three airports to get to us.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven’t been with Crystal for years but when I did, around ten years ago, they asked (when booking carriage) how many sets of skis were in the bag and said they’d charge the fee for each set of skis in a single bag. I just told them I had one set, I took two and nobody checked at the airport.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can we have a “thread library” for frequently asked questions?

So a link to thread(s) with the most comprehensive answers can be quickly provided?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy