Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Medium/long radius?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tangowaggon wrote:
@rob@rar,
Laughing I was used to 13m skis & tried some 17m, I put them on edge to carve & just fell over, ito the turn, when they didn't turn as I was used to.
Laughing That happens to me almost every time I switch skis. Not quite to the extent of falling on to my hip, but sometimes I get stuck on the inside ski; other times I'm left wondering why the skis are slower to turn than an oil tanker and I'm doing 70kph down the fall line.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tangowaggon wrote:
@rob@rar,
Laughing I was used to 13m skis & tried some 17m, I put them on edge to carve & just fell over, ito the turn, when they didn't turn as I was used to.

Yeah, that's what I always say if I fall over - different skis today. Number 23 in the skiers book of excuses, IIRC.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
But if you are skidding the ski sideways it doesn't matter so much, so you could be on any old planks.

So about 90% of recreational skiers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dr John, titter
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A certain Chamonix boot fitter kindly lent me a pair of 190-ish Stöckli DP Pros to try (for 2nd hand purchase).

First turn? I literally did just fall over.

If the contemporaneous Mantra was like a fat GS ski, the DP Pros (32m radius) are like a very fat DH ski.

Embarassed Embarassed

Once I got the hang of them they were amazing, but a bit too hard work for an everyday ride.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr John wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
But if you are skidding the ski sideways it doesn't matter so much, so you could be on any old planks.

So about 90% of recreational skiers

Oooh, that's harsh. I'm sure it's no more than around 75% wink

On a (slightly) more serious note, the shorter the radius, the more difficult it is to make it side-slip consistently. Not impossible, but as it's an exercise I often use in teaching I've noticed this and experimented with it myself. My fat old 26m Radius Salomon Rocker2s are soo much easier than my 13m slalom Heads. Stiffness probably plays a role as well.

I do love to vary skis when teaching - it can really help understand the differences, and sometime make you more aware of the difficulties a student might be experiencing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chaletbeauroc, "the shorter the radius, the more difficult it is to make it side-slip consistently"

Quite. My old FIS SLs were disappointingly crap in bumps. Although it has to be noted that bumps racers are on +/- kinda GS profiles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 'Rotate and Slide' method of doing bumps is not the way it's normally taught today. I still use and teach it, but not specifically aimed at real moguls, more as a 'get out of jail free' card, for difficult mixed terrain, but I got a real shock the first time I tried it on my BASI L3 tech (which I failed for said bumps first time around).

Engelberg, where I'd been mainly skiing for the years before that really doesn't develop much in the way of mogul fields and that method had worked well on what there were, but to ski the tight lines through short, steep-sided bumps expected at that level a longer radius, or indeed just longer, ski makes it much more difficult. Short slalom skis are what you need.

A quick web search seems to suggest that the length is much more a factor than the radius - I'm not really expert enough in bumps to comment further on that - but as most GS skis are also longer the same result will apply if you're choosing between them whichever is the more driving factor.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chaletbeauroc, interesting. How is it taught today? Sorry, ignore that question please, I'll start a thread Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even if you want to carve your way through bumps I doubt an FIS SL is ideal - the tails are just too unforgiving when you hit something hard with your weight in the wrong place. I have a pair and love them on piste but they aren't great for speed control in the bumps and speed control is 90% of the solution in the bumps (unless Chaletbeauroc is going to teach us differently)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy