Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Medium/long radius?

Poster: A snowHead
Would I be making a mistake buying some medium or long radius skis when I’ve been used to hire skis that I guess were more like 13 to 15 radius? The ones I’m thinking of are about 20 with a triple cut. I’m guessing I’m intermediate to advanced that can carve on gentle reds but still struggle and skid about on steep reds and blacks. I like a good high speed in tuck blast occasionally so trying to avoid the skittishness of short radius skis. Only ski once a year and not bothered about improving, just want to be able to get about on piste only. Don’t want to end up going backwards to the old days when my skis were 20cm longer than me and I couldn’t carve even on a blue! I know I’ll probably be more confused after asking but always worth getting the benefit of other’s experience before taking the plunge!! Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It may be best to rent some and try them out next time you’re away, otherwise it’s really just a shot in the dark.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given what you've said above, I suspect that 16 - 18m turn radius could work. I'd be inclined not to go above an 18m Radius, where with a bit more effort, short radius are quite possible/accessible, while also being reasonable for Longer turns.

For resort skiing, especially if crowded / on narrow pistes and paths....short turn ability is important. The chance to "Let Rip" on a very quiet piste with GS type turns is much rarer.

I would also avoid anything with too long a Tip Rocker on a softer ski, as the fronts can get a bit flappy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree that hiring a long radius pair would be sensible as it is very subjective. Basically, you will need more speed to be able to get them to carve and they will take a bit more effort to manoeuvre but at speed they should give a pretty thrilling ride
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree 16-18 m would probably suit-wouldn't go any more than that. That's my radius of choice (albeit from a 60kg 5ft 5inch female perspective!). I find that radius gives me plenty enough grip for turns and stability at speed. I tend to go for a relatively long ski relative to my height. Length is something you may want to think about too, though that is somewhat dependent on the amount of rocker. My old faves (now consigned to the bin as they fell apart) were Blizzard Brahmas, though the radius in the more recent versions has tightened up a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@japes1275, if you're after something slightly longer, I have some skis for sale that might be fun to try, 19m radius.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/277646484828408/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm probably a similar level and bought some more all mountain type skis with a radius over 20m. They're fun but a bit of a missile. I can about get them to short turn but it's a lot of skidding and effort. They are fun though and it's nice to have a change. I bought them used so if I've had enough of them after the next trip or 2 I'll sell them on and hopefully not lose much.

I actually ended up hiring some Rossi Hero Elites for the last few day for a change as I missed stringing carved turns together at less than warp speed. The wider ones were good later in the day in the slush though.

Not sure if that's a vote for or against? Maybe buy some used one and have fun on them for a while?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I definitely think you should stick to say 15m radius and certainly not more than 18m. From what you describe I think you'd be frustrated about how difficult you found 20m to carve on piste. There are plenty of 15m radius skis that are stable at speeds you should consider on an open piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies, pretty conclusive opinions and it sounds like I could have made an expensive mistake if I hadn't asked. Some of the comments I'd kind of thought 15m would be bang on for me but then saw quite a few of the longer radius (maybe they can't get rid of them?!) ones at decent prices. The ones I'd seen were Atomic Savor 7 in 167cm (I'm 174cm) at about £300. I guess the reason I can now ski a little better is largely due to modern shorter skis with a shorter turn radius so probably best I stick to that instead of experimenting on my only week of the year.

Thanks again, may return with more questions!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
japes1275 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, pretty conclusive opinions and it sounds like I could have made an expensive mistake if I hadn't asked. Some of the comments I'd kind of thought 15m would be bang on for me but then saw quite a few of the longer radius (maybe they can't get rid of them?!) ones at decent prices. The ones I'd seen were Atomic Savor 7 in 167cm (I'm 174cm) at about £300. I guess the reason I can now ski a little better is largely due to modern shorter skis with a shorter turn radius so probably best I stick to that instead of experimenting on my only week of the year.

Thanks again, may return with more questions!!

As someone who also came from Straight Skis, I think it is well worth getting a Private Lesson or two (if you haven't already), in order to adapt your more Old School technique to make the most of modern skis. I know you said you are not interested in improving....so don't think of it as improving, but making the most of your existing level. Skullie

New Skis; New approach! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, a lesson or two is probably something I should do but never got round - or been brave enough to! Apart from a workmate showing me how to put the skis on and snowplough back in the mid 1990's I'm completely self taught. Good point though, I might see how much it is for a couple of hours private lessons.

One thing I forgot to mention is reading the ski description from the manufacturer and to some extent the reviews by testers seems pretty pointless to me, they all seem to make out that their skis will do virtually everything! Things like: 'The latest Sportster from Nuke is perfect for attacking the early morning corduroy and carving short and long turns on piste. Equally at home on the back of the mountain it makes the most timid of intermediate look like an experienced powder hound.'!!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
japes1275 wrote:
Yes, a lesson or two is probably something I should do but never got round - or been brave enough to! Apart from a workmate showing me how to put the skis on and snowplough back in the mid 1990's I'm completely self taught. Good point though, I might see how much it is for a couple of hours private lessons.

I think you would find some lessons transformative.

If you highlight where you are going, you should get a recommendation.

If you are near a Snowdome, having a lesson there would also be a good idea eg From the likes of Inside Out Skiing @ The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well if I buy some skis first I'll probably go to Xscape at Castleford for a quick try out so could see what is available there. Then late Jan I'm off to Solden for 1 day, Bad Hofgastein for a week then Passo Tonale for 2 days. Solden is just a quick stop off (to visit the Hochgurgl motorcycle museum and get some skiing in) so not really time to have a lesson, there are some good instructors at Tonale but a bit late then so probably Bad Hofgastein would be good to book something. I'll have a look and see if I can see anything there.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@japes1275, Shocked It's like golf. Most people can't teach themselves to ski.

Seriously.

Really Seriously.

Self taught skiers are usually very, very obvious.*

* as are self taught golfers

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 23-11-23 13:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
japes1275 wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention is reading the ski description from the manufacturer and to some extent the reviews by testers seems pretty pointless to me, they all seem to make out that their skis will do virtually everything! Things like: 'The latest Sportster from Nuke is perfect for attacking the early morning corduroy and carving short and long turns on piste. Equally at home on the back of the mountain it makes the most timid of intermediate look like an experienced powder hound.'!!!!!

Good observation. If you want proper reviews look at Blister
https://blisterreview.com/skis
snow conditions
Wot @under a new name said. Also, with respect to the poster and all the responders, unless someone is race trained or BASI4 (or equivalent) level instructor, I doubt very much if they can tell the difference between a 15/17/18/whatever radius ski.
If you're not bothered about improving (odd), and just want to hoon around on piste all day (nothing wrong with that), then quite honestly any mid-range ski will do you.
It's the skier, not the ski.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 23-11-23 12:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Self taught skiers are usually very, very obvious.

Yep - they usually don't look like they are part of the stiff robo army of ski school taught skiers Laughing
Private coaching though - that might actually make a difference.
snow report
Or another way to look at it is that some people are just naturally gifted while others have to be shown! Seriously.

I’m also self taught at golf as well. I’m really seriously bad at that though!!

Joking aside while I agree a lesson or two might give me some good tips I’m fairly sure it isn’t going to get rid of 30 years of bad habits and turn me from ‘classic Brit ski’ to someone that isn’t obviously self taught. Worth having a go though and might be an eye opener.

Definitely agree on the ‘It’s the skier, not the ski’. That’s why I’m not getting too hung up on what I get, it’s just that going from a short radius to a long did seem like a big change and it sounds like I did the right thing in asking on here.
latest report
@beeryletcher, ha ha very good. They still generally look like crap.
latest report
japes1275 wrote:

Definitely agree on the ‘It’s the skier, not the ski’. That’s why I’m not getting too hung up on what I get, it’s just that going from a short radius to a long did seem like a big change and it sounds like I did the right thing in asking on here.

Whereas there are few truly poor skis for sale and a good skier can manage on anything - IMV You should get hung up on what you get.

If you are up for some lessons, then a shorter radius Piste Ski, with a turning radius of 14-16m, will make it easier to feel the sensations from the technique that you are being taught.

Your weight, ability and aggressiveness should determine the length and stiffness to go for. The wrong ski can negatively affect confidence and put improvement into reverse.
ski holidays
@japes1275, A snowdome probably isn't the ideal environment for a longer radius ski, they need a bit more space and speed than you can really get in a snowdome and you are likely to conclude that they're not for you based on a snowdome session but in the alps you may be able to make them come alive
snow report
Def get lessons. Apart from anything else they're fun. I always do morning lessons while the kids are in theirs. Been doing level 4 (whatever that is, but it's as high as I can get in a group class) for about 4 years. It's more like having a, very fast, guide. I get all over the ski area in a week while all my mates that don't do lessons seem to end up skiing the same areas. They also really help with your technique. As someone else said, the way you ki modern skis is so different. My partner is a pretty good skiier but still skis like she's on straight skis. She came out on a lesson and the instructor was spent most of it telling her not to move up and down so much.

If you still ski like you're on straight skis you can buy any radius you want as they're mostly going sideways.
ski holidays
japes1275 wrote:

I’m also self taught at golf as well. I’m really seriously bad at that though!!

What makes you think you’re not seriously bad at skiing, too? It’s not like there’s a score you can look at to know how you’re doing relative to others.
ski holidays
Between natural technique, your inclination to play on side hits or be a speed freak, the instructor you get that clicks for you, and the ski you end up choosing, there really is a WIDE open space of variables to line up.

I recently bought myself some new skis but the process was born out over quite a few years.

I returned to skiing from boarding just pre COVID, although I skied a great deal till I was 16. I had multiple working seasons boarding and then annual trips (mid 40s now). Skis were still without sidecut when I left them behind, but I learned to snowboard on an alpine board in hard boots.... So carving was my jam on a snowboard. That was my set up for returning to skiing.

A few trips no lesson smashing blacks on my first day back. No issue. But gosh there was no STYLE. It was actually the opposite of STYLE. So I got a few lessons on a few trips. Whilst doing this I was constantly wondering what skis I needed to buy. I knew I needed lessons though.

Had some lessons whilst on Stockli Laser ARs. Amazing. Amazing Amazing. Ripping.

Tried some wider storm riders. Meh. Tried Some Ripsticks. Meh.

Then I had some more lessons whilst on some Bent 100s. Well. Wow. I tried to go back to the Stockli ARs a day after the lessons on the Bents. I just couldn't. As I said above. Carving is my jam. I ski fast. But I also like to mess about. I realised it is like the difference between riding a road bike and a mountain bike. I prefer the MTB.

Long story short. Get some lessons and rent some skis. Try some different skis in the lessons. THEN you will know.

Also..... a foot of powder and I'd 100% pick the board over the skis.
latest report
@japes1275, I was reading this, and my eyes pricked up when you mentioned motorcycle museum in Hochgurgle.

One of my customers who builds "Vincents" was taking a replica to Austria last September.
I thought he was taking it to a private collector who lived right up the end of the Otztal.
It must be the same place.

You are going to have a busy trip, but it sounds good.

If you like "good high speed in tuck blast occasionally" You'll find even 14m a great ride.
You don't have to turn them all the time.
But riding that edge gives you the same and better thrill as cranking that old bike over down a twisty dry road in the sunshine.

Get some lessons as the others say, it makes all the difference, even in a snowdome.

Have a great time.
latest report
My old slalom skis had around a 55m radius ...- just sayin'
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Ah, the nostalgia of the days when the skier did all the work instead of the skis Very Happy
ski holidays
DrLawn, could well be the same place as they would have been replacing a lot of exhibits last year, it was destroyed by fire about 3 years ago. Its a big place and has its own lift station and forms part of the toll booths for the pass over to Italy. Hotels were a bit pricy in Gurgl so I found a place in Solden which looks like an adventure itself just getting to it up a 6km dirt road! One of the reasons I want to take my own skis as I won't have time to mess about hiring having only one ski day and not being in the town itself.

https://www.crosspoint.tirol/en-home

Cheers for all the input and advice from everyone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowheid wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Ah, the nostalgia of the days when the skier did all the work instead of the skis Very Happy

Thank god somebody mentioned straight skis before we forget how much better than us you are.
snow conditions
@Whitegoldsbrother, well, we wouldn’t want you getting all above yourself would we?
snow conditions
@japes1275,
A fellow self taught skier here. My advice - get some lessons. I have done just that but my first lessons were after about 12 years of 10 days per year skiing. It happens that I have so many ingrained self taught habits that it’s hard to progress into a better ski technique. Now 51 I suspect I’ll never make it past about ‘advanced intermediate’ level. I’m grateful that I can get myself down pretty much most parts of the mountain now though.
Strangely my kids have only had two days of lessons when they were 3 and 5 respectively and were essentially (embarrassingly) taught by me but are now quite good skiers. They can easily and happily navigate their way down North American double black terrain.

With regard skis. I doubt you’ll find 20m radius skis a big problem but a tighter turn radius will be more ideal.
snow conditions
Thanks for that, good to get a perspective from someone that sounds to have a similar skiing background. As you say it’s good to be able to get down most runs - though I’ve started to shy away from really difficult blacks as I’ve got older. I’m a lone skier as well so I try to be a bit more careful now.

I’ve gone back to looking at 13m-16m skis now, really glad I asked.
ski holidays
japes1275 wrote:

I’ve gone back to looking at 13m-16m skis now, really glad I asked.

IMV. 13m is getting into the territory where they might feel a bit squirrely when on a faster schuss.
latest report
@japes1275, I would have thought 15- 18 would be ideal for you, Rossignol Hero Elite springs to mind.
ski holidays
I went for a quick turning, shorter ski which can be a bit wobbly in a straight line, the simple solution is to not go in a straight line but to just get the ski on edge without applying pressure, so constantly making long radius turns rather than a straight line. In most cases, when I'm on a schuss with people who are straight lining it, I actually pass them, because my skis are running more efficiently, despite covering a longer distance.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, that.

And it's not all about radii.

A long radius, torsionally soft ski may be easier to turn and turn more sharply than a short radius, torsionally rigid ski.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 25-11-23 9:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I have to disagree with the comment about being the skier, not the ski, I have found that the ski has a big influence on how I ski.
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
I have to disagree with the comment about being the skier, not the ski, I have found that the ski has a big influence on how I ski.
Indeed. If you are using the ski so it is tipped to a decent edge angle its mostly running along the length as you make your turns, the geometry of the ski's design and stiffness will have a huge influence on the turns you make. But if you are skidding the ski sideways it doesn't matter so much, so you could be on any old planks.

Typically my piste-focused ski is around a 17m radius and relatively stiff. I did have to do one course on GS skis which were 23m+ and didn't particularly enjoy the choice of ski. I had to make a big change to my timing and I don't think the skis helped me, or made me, ski better than I normally did, if anything it was the opposite of that.
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
... the simple solution is to not go in a straight line ...
This.
latest report
@rob@rar,
Laughing I was used to 13m skis & tried some 17m, I put them on edge to carve & just fell over, ito the turn, when they didn't turn as I was used to.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy