Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemsedal Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ster wrote:
@Cov_lad, I’d just book Hemsedal and stop the navel gazing, you always think you can find a better/cheaper trip then run out of time and choice.

You had your reasons for finding it and the cruise/drive sounds quite the adventure. Do it.

Took the advice, it’s booked now !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quinton wrote:
Hemsedal is great for families. It can get (very) cold and stuff is expensive, but treat it as an adventure and an opportunity to experience a different type of ski resort. It isn't like the 3 Valleys. It isn't like St. Anton or Kitzbuhel. It isn't like Whistler. And that's the point - it is somewhere different.

Since you'll be travelling via Germany make sure to stock up with beer, wine, fizzy drinks and Haribo/Ritter Sport etc. at any German supermarket. These are very expensive in Norway. It is acceptable to eat your packed lunch in the cafe areas - there are sections set aside for this. The area itself is beautiful and the ski areas link together well. People are friendly. There are other things to do when the skiing is over - husky dog-sleighing on a huge frozen lake is a hoot.

Thank for the tips, beer and wine in Germany it is, we have an evening and night in Kiel anyway so I can get stocked.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
I was in Trysil last year and didn't find it massively more expensive that a big Tarentaise valley resort. Yes the alcohol is expensive but you can plan around that and we aren't big drinkers anyway apart from a glass of wine at dinner. The food on the slopes is much better quality for the money paid than in France.

It is different skiing though, resorts are move compact and runs not as long and it can be bloody cold, -20C when we were there.

Will be back this year for a long weekend in December. The snow is looking good this year in Norway from early season and resorts are opening early.

Snow in resort is one of our top priority’s so that’s great to hear, -20 is very cold I’m slightly worried about the car water/oil freezing and not being able to get it going, hoping there’s a heated garage.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cov_lad wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Cov_lad wrote:
Nick M wrote:
Huh? TEN GRAND???? - Really ? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I went to Norway a few times, a long time ago (Solfonn and Voss) and my impression was that Norway was way way more expensive than anywhere in the alps.
I never thought I'd see the day when someone was referring to it as the cheaper option.

Times must have changed a lot...

Accommodation for Family of 5 anywhere high in the alps seems to Be very expensive which I know is expected over new year, I don’t fancy risking any low resorts and being left looking at rain.

Hoping that won’t happen in Norway that time of year.

Hmm, perhaps it's just timing of when you booked, but for 6 of us, I was able to get flights, transfers and a decent 3* HB hotel right in the middle of Mayrhofen (which goes to 2500m plus has the Hintertux glacier) for £6k - full week over new year and not even in the 'normal' weekly schedule of the tour operators, so 95% of hotels just weren't interested.

It was a lot of searching plus a few compromises on our normal standards, but it is possible - although possibly this late in the day there will be virtually nothing left...

I was in mayrhofen this year and loved it, but the base was miserable and rained most days, I’m trying to get a high up resort to get the festive charm if that makes sense, it’s late and I’m booking for new year so I’m definitely unprepared!

Fair enough, Mrs RC always tells me I book too early, but I always ignore her as I know the reality, at least in terms of availability for the sort of place we like to go to. It was July when I booked this year - I was getting really itchy feet but people were faffing around over ability to get work holidays etc - I think I got quite lucky all things considered.

Personally I like the lower altitude resorts - as long as there's a glacier nearby then it's the best of both worlds for us - I want to be snow sure 'up top' but don't want to be freezing my bits off in a blizzard in town, especially during a celebration week like NY.

Which is probably why we tend to alternate between Zell am See and Mayrhofen, at least for the big family trips.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in the SkiStar lodge right on the ski front last year half term. We went with a school group but it wasn't hugely expensive.
Appt for 8 shared with another family.

It was good and we had a good time but aren't going back this year. Not to cold, not too busy for half term.

Everyone enjoyed themselves. 10 year old son enjoyed ski school, which is unusual for him.

Large enough to travel around, if not France standards but it didn't impact us.

Didn't drink much but that was ok, just the odd drink out and one longer (but not long) night.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hemsedal is a beautiful ski resort which is known as the "Scandinavian alps" due to the resort's high altitude compared with other ski resorts in Scandinavia, but as others have said, it can be very cold and it gets dark quite early in the afternoon in December. Floodlit night skiing is available in the evenings. Food and alcoholic drinks can be expensive too. Ideally you need to book accommodation well in advance if going in the school holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow a ski resort that gets cold

Who would have thought that

Every day's a school day on here
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegoldsbrother, There is a big difference between skiing in -25 degrees and -5 degrees if you ask me!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, try Skistar for accommodation in some places in Norway, and Destination Lapland for log cabins etc in the Ylläs/Äkäslompolo area of Finland
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Motherofthree wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother, There is a big difference between skiing in -25 degrees and -5 degrees if you ask me!

Thank you so much for your enlightenment
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy