Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemsedal Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I’m going away for new year, fancied a change from the alps and I’ve booked Hemsedal, couple of reasons.

Price was less than half of nearly all of the alps, I just can’t bring myself to pay 10 grand for 5 nights over new year.

Guaranteed snow, I heard this place will have a lot of snow and be cold which is what we like.

Anyone been ? Anyone think I’ve made a mistake and not recommend ?

We are going to drive to Kiel and take a mini cruise up to Oslo night in Oslo then head up to Hemsedal.

I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts on this.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic choice - went there last March and had a great time : excellent skiing with good off-piste opportunities

I did a write up here...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5114038&highlight=hemsedal#5114038
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get married while your at the top of the fell. (Translates well with google translate)

https://www.freeride.se/ski-in-married-out-hemsedal-erbjuder-drop-in-brollop-i-vinter/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only has 44km of pistes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers wrote:
Fantastic choice - went there last March and had a great time : excellent skiing with good off-piste opportunities

I did a write up here...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5114038&highlight=hemsedal#5114038

Thanks mate

I did search and read this, nice write up.

The 44k of pistes won’t be a problem we are a family of 5 so not tearing it up all day non stop.

I’ve just found some accommodation in Val T (Nowhere near as nice) but I’m questioning if I’m mad to go to Norway when I can go there.

Decisions !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not been but have heard its nearest to alpine piste skiing you’ll get in Scandinavia.

How are you getting there from Oslo?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went as a family of 4 several times. Depending on age of children, because of size they can have quite a bit of freedom.
Make sure you take your duty free with you.
Very acceptable to eat your picnic, picnic rooms provided. Pretty safe to leave your back pack in a corner. No risk of drunk skiers alcohol only sold at end of day. I found Norway for a family came out alot cheaper than the Alps. Only the occasional waffle, hot chocolate and perhaps a burger.
Enjoy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went as a family of 4 several times. Depending on age of children, because of size they can have quite a bit of freedom.
Very acceptable to eat your picnic, picnic rooms provided. Pretty safe to leave your back pack in a corner. No risk of drunk skiers alcohol only sold at end of day. I found Norway for a family came out alot cheaper than the Alps. Only the occasional waffle, hot chocolate and perhaps a burger.
Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and usually some night skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve been a few times and it is a good place. However, there is a supermarket before Hemsedal to stock up on beer.

In Norway there is a state wine monopoly so if you like wine stock up.

Since you are driving, the customs limit
Is 4L of wine. Max out On your Limit.

I was in Norway last week and the price of a glass of wine in a restaurant is about £12-14. And that is where the exchange rate is very good 13.4 Kr to the £.

I’ve not been for a while but if I remember correctly, the gentle slope is at the top and the steep slopes are at the middle.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cov_lad, If you are driving from GB to Kiel, than take the ship - that is a long way.

Have you considered flying to Oslo and hire a car?

Hemsedal is nice, but dark and cold at that time of the year.

I think you will enjoy your stay! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Huh? TEN GRAND???? - Really ? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I went to Norway a few times, a long time ago (Solfonn and Voss) and my impression was that Norway was way way more expensive than anywhere in the alps.
I never thought I'd see the day when someone was referring to it as the cheaper option.

Times must have changed a lot...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ps if there are kids, stock up on sweets etc etc a big bag of M&Ms etc is about £8.

Restaurants tend to be about £8/head more than the UK. Eg in Tønsberg last Thurs. nice restaurant and a lovely burger was about £17 but fries were extra.

Have a look at this for example

https://kverneriet.com/tonsberg/menu/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
Not been but have heard its nearest to alpine piste skiing you’ll get in Scandinavia.

How are you getting there from Oslo?

Driving from Oslo to the resort in my own car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Teletart wrote:
Enjoy.

Thanks for the info sounds perfect for us !
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I’ve been a few times and it is a good place. However, there is a supermarket before Hemsedal to stock up on beer.

In Norway there is a state wine monopoly so if you like wine stock up.

Since you are driving, the customs limit
Is 4L of wine. Max out On your Limit.

I was in Norway last week and the price of a glass of wine in a restaurant is about £12-14. And that is where the exchange rate is very good 13.4 Kr to the £.

I’ve not been for a while but if I remember correctly, the gentle slope is at the top and the steep slopes are at the middle.

We certainly like our wine thanks for the tip I
Shall be doing that !

I was in Luxembourg last weekend paying Similar with a terrible exchange rate !
latest report
Hyst wrote:
@Cov_lad, If you are driving from GB to Kiel, than take the ship - that is a long way.

Have you considered flying to Oslo and hire a car?

Hemsedal is nice, but dark and cold at that time of the year.

I think you will enjoy your stay! snowHead

My route will be Harwich to the hook on the ferry, drive to kiel then take the boat to Oslo, £1500 one way though which I thought was pricey !

I considered flying but I don’t mind a drive and load up our car with our skis and supplies.

I’ve got to buy winter tyre’s which is a stinger!
snow report
Nick M wrote:

I went to Norway a few times, a long time ago (Solfonn and Voss) and my impression was that Norway was way way more expensive than anywhere in the alps.
I never thought I'd see the day when someone was referring to it as the cheaper option.

Accommodation for Family of 5 anywhere high in the alps seems to Be very expensive which I know is expected over new year, I don’t fancy risking any low resorts and being left looking at rain.

Hoping that won’t happen in Norway that time of year.
ski holidays
Cov_lad wrote:

Definitely get those. We had a rental car going to Trysil so had them included and we needed them on both occasions with big dumps and driving back once through a snow storm, that was in mid-April.

Also don’t forget to pay the tolls if you use the motorways. In fact I think you may need to set up an account before you go as its all automated, no booths.
snow conditions
@Cov_lad, we've been to Hemsedal twice and it's probably our favourite of the scandi resorts we've visited. Trip report here. We like it because it feels more "alpine" than many of the other scandi resorts and you get a sense of travelling around. It also has some really good accessible off-piste but that may not be too relevant for you.
Weather-wise, it will be dark (less than 6 hours of daylight) and quite possibly very cold. There's a decent chance of snow but it's not guaranteed that there will be loads. With your drive-ferry-drive plan, bear in mind that you will need winter tyres since the law in Norway requires you to use tyres appropriate for the conditions. Unless I'm mistaken (@Hyst can correct me here) you can get a hefty fine for using summer tyres in winter conditions.
Hemsedal does not compare to VT in terms of extent of skiing, but in many ways, especially for a family, the overall experience is way better.
ski holidays
@Cov_lad, thinking about your route - do the ferry times match up? Hook of Holland to Kiel is around 6-6.5 hours. If you're on the overnight ferry, then you'll get to Kiel no earlier than 13:30. I think the Oslo ferry leaves at 14:00. We've done the drive across the Netherlands & Germany several times and usually get to Kiel around 16:00-16:30, having stopped for lunch and possibly also a coffee mid afternoon.
An alternative for you to consider is to get the ferry to Gothenburg (which leaves about 18:00) then drive to Hemsedal (6.5 hours).
Either way it's a fairly heroic journey, and I'd be tempted to fly then hire a car instead.
ski holidays
Quote:

Weather-wise, it will be dark

Long time since I skied Hemsedal but dont they have night skiing also?
snow conditions
ster wrote:
Cov_lad wrote:

Definitely get those. We had a rental car going to Trysil so had them included and we needed them on both occasions with big dumps and driving back once through a snow storm, that was in mid-April.

Also don’t forget to pay the tolls if you use the motorways. In fact I think you may need to set up an account before you go as its all automated, no booths.

Winter tyres are a cert, had a few hairy moments over the years on summers, drove rentals withs winters and it’s night and day.

Thanks for the tip with the tolls I will get the account set up.
snow conditions
mgrolf wrote:
@Cov_lad, we've been to Hemsedal twice and it's probably our favourite of the scandi resorts we've visited. Trip report here. We like it because it feels more "alpine" than many of the other scandi resorts and you get a sense of travelling around. It also has some really good accessible off-piste but that may not be too relevant for you.
Weather-wise, it will be dark (less than 6 hours of daylight) and quite possibly very cold. There's a decent chance of snow but it's not guaranteed that there will be loads. With your drive-ferry-drive plan, bear in mind that you will need winter tyres since the law in Norway requires you to use tyres appropriate for the conditions. Unless I'm mistaken (@Hyst can correct me here) you can get a hefty fine for using summer tyres in winter conditions.
Hemsedal does not compare to VT in terms of extent of skiing, but in many ways, especially for a family, the overall experience is way better.

Thanks for the trip report, VT was on the list for the snow it would probably be too much for a family at nee year anyway.

All these reports are making me feel better about my choice!
ski holidays
@Cov_lad, if you have any recommendations for accom please let me know- we are switching Swiss Alps for Norway or Finland this feb with our kids.
snow report
mgrolf wrote:
@Cov_lad, thinking about your route - do the ferry times match up? Hook of Holland to Kiel is around 6-6.5 hours. If you're on the overnight ferry, then you'll get to Kiel no earlier than 13:30. I think the Oslo ferry leaves at 14:00. We've done the drive across the Netherlands & Germany several times and usually get to Kiel around 16:00-16:30, having stopped for lunch and possibly also a coffee mid afternoon.
An alternative for you to consider is to get the ferry to Gothenburg (which leaves about 18:00) then drive to Hemsedal (6.5 hours).
Either way it's a fairly heroic journey, and I'd be tempted to fly then hire a car instead.

I will leave a night between the hook and Kiel ferry, I’ll be waking up in Kiel the morning of departure so no rushing to the port !

Hoping the weather in northern Germany is ok, I might price up flying but waking up cruising into Oslo on the
Ship sounds appealing, I had a look at the boat I think it’s called Color Fantasy it looks like a small cruise liner than a ferry.
snow conditions
@Cov_lad, in Norway the accommodation is good value but everything else is ridiculously expensive. The total price is much the same as other places.
snow report
Teletart wrote:
Enjoy.

That is a lesser problem today, where the NOK is worth about half that it used be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds tremendous. Nordic countries at that time of year are hard to beat IMO. Feel super festive.

As long as you are aware of the 'negatives' and prepared for them they do not really count as negatives IMO. ie limited daylight hours, colder, travel time. So many other positives.

One piece of advice regarding driving in Norway is do not speed. Cruise control on and set at the speed limit.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
If an adult is allowed duty free 4 litres of wine, that's more than 5 bottles for the week. Doesn't sound too deprived!
snow report
Cov_lad wrote:
Nick M wrote:

Accommodation for Family of 5 anywhere high in the alps seems to Be very expensive which I know is expected over new year, I don’t fancy risking any low resorts and being left looking at rain.

Hmm, perhaps it's just timing of when you booked, but for 6 of us, I was able to get flights, transfers and a decent 3* HB hotel right in the middle of Mayrhofen (which goes to 2500m plus has the Hintertux glacier) for £6k - full week over new year and not even in the 'normal' weekly schedule of the tour operators, so 95% of hotels just weren't interested.

It was a lot of searching plus a few compromises on our normal standards, but it is possible - although possibly this late in the day there will be virtually nothing left...
ski holidays
ratechaser wrote:
Cov_lad wrote:
Nick M wrote:

Hmm, perhaps it's just timing of when you booked, but for 6 of us, I was able to get flights, transfers and a decent 3* HB hotel right in the middle of Mayrhofen (which goes to 2500m plus has the Hintertux glacier) for £6k - full week over new year and not even in the 'normal' weekly schedule of the tour operators, so 95% of hotels just weren't interested.

It was a lot of searching plus a few compromises on our normal standards, but it is possible - although possibly this late in the day there will be virtually nothing left...

Would that be because Mayrhofen itself is low altitude, so stands a fairly high chance of not having having the scenic snowy look, also ski to door isn’t a thing?

My experience is that the high prices at those key dates are in the obvious resorts such as Obergurgl, Lech, St Anton, Obertauern.
ski holidays
@Cov_lad, winter tyres are the law in Norway. Any hire car will be equipped.

For what you are paying (taking into consideration the cost of the extras like food and booze etc…. Have you thought about Italy?
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Cov_lad wrote:
Nick M wrote:

Would that be because Mayrhofen itself is low altitude, so stands a fairly high chance of not having having the scenic snowy look, also ski to door isn’t a thing?

My experience is that the high prices at those key dates are in the obvious resorts such as Obergurgl, Lech, St Anton, Obertauern.

Well yes, those resorts are expensive even on a good year where we fit the tour companies standard weeks. But I can accept the lack of picture postcard snowscenes in town as long as there's a decent amount higher up...
snow report
ratechaser wrote:
Cov_lad wrote:
Nick M wrote:

I was in mayrhofen this year and loved it, but the base was miserable and rained most days, I’m trying to get a high up resort to get the festive charm if that makes sense, it’s late and I’m booking for new year so I’m definitely unprepared!
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Cov_lad, winter tyres are the law in Norway. Any hire car will be equipped.

For what you are paying (taking into consideration the cost of the extras like food and booze etc…. Have you thought about Italy?

I have, Cervinia is what I looked at and still looking at but again 5/7k accommodation for 5 nights is steep for me. Any other high altitudes resorts in Italy you recommend to look at ?
ski holidays
@Cov_lad, I’d just book Hemsedal and stop the navel gazing, you always think you can find a better/cheaper trip then run out of time and choice.

You had your reasons for finding it and the cruise/drive sounds quite the adventure. Do it.
snow report
Hemsedal is great for families. It can get (very) cold and stuff is expensive, but treat it as an adventure and an opportunity to experience a different type of ski resort. It isn't like the 3 Valleys. It isn't like St. Anton or Kitzbuhel. It isn't like Whistler. And that's the point - it is somewhere different.

Since you'll be travelling via Germany make sure to stock up with beer, wine, fizzy drinks and Haribo/Ritter Sport etc. at any German supermarket. These are very expensive in Norway. It is acceptable to eat your packed lunch in the cafe areas - there are sections set aside for this. The area itself is beautiful and the ski areas link together well. People are friendly. There are other things to do when the skiing is over - husky dog-sleighing on a huge frozen lake is a hoot.
latest report
I was in Trysil last year and didn't find it massively more expensive that a big Tarentaise valley resort. Yes the alcohol is expensive but you can plan around that and we aren't big drinkers anyway apart from a glass of wine at dinner. The food on the slopes is much better quality for the money paid than in France.

It is different skiing though, resorts are move compact and runs not as long and it can be bloody cold, -20C when we were there.

Will be back this year for a long weekend in December. The snow is looking good this year in Norway from early season and resorts are opening early.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Cov_lad, if you have any recommendations for accom please let me know- we are switching Swiss Alps for Norway or Finland this feb with our kids.

We have booked Skigaarden which is ski in ski out, no idea what it will be like but will report back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy