Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Speeding Fine

Poster: A snowHead
Mollerski wrote:
ster wrote:
@Mollerski, like chancing an overnight stay in a French cell, rather than just face the deed?

Extradition for non payment of a speeding ticket?? Be sensible. rolling eyes

Hardly, now you are being silly, but I would rather pay that worry everytime I went into France.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ster, So how the heck is there any chance of being banged up in a French nick for non payment of a speeding fine for Johnny foreigner 8 months after the event???

Has this site been taken over by @nal retentives whilst I wasn't looking? Neutral

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-11-23 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
ster wrote:
@Mollerski, like chancing an overnight stay in a French cell, rather than just face the deed?

Extradition for non payment of a speeding ticket?? Be sensible. rolling eyes

There's thread on here somewhere where exactly that was threatened for non-payment of a Swiss speeding ticket. A knock on the door from Scotland Yard IIRC. Lots of "you're talking BS" type comments but the poster swore it was true.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Je suis un Skieur, In 1987 perhaps?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nah, much more recent than that. Don't forget the Swiss have their% of earnings factor for motoring offences. Could be well worth their time tracking someone down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mollerski, do feel free to follow your own advice, collect a few fines over there and not pay them (sounds like your sort of thing) as you are so cocksure. Be sure to tell us how it goes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster wrote:
@Mollerski, do feel free to follow your own advice, .

Look, having my collar felt by the frog fuzz over a historic bit of vitesse would be a great after dinner yarn. A fine addition to life's rich tapestry. A life well spent and all that. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Nah, much more recent than that. Don't forget the Swiss have their% of earnings factor for motoring offences. Could be well worth their time tracking someone down.

Imagine the conversation. 'Forget about the knife crime, we've had the Swiss on the phone.....'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve first hand (observational) experience of having a collar felt by the gendarmes…. Long story short, our tour ops bus back from the Alps had an ‘additional passenger’ wanted for cash theft from a chalet. We were flagged down by the Gendarmes, bus boarded, passports requested…. And the ‘extra’ was physically dragged from the bus and flattened over the bonnet of the cops car. They were not gentle.
I could easily see how ‘non payment of a legitimate fine’ could be viewed in a similar way by an officer…
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowhound wrote:
Does the fact lots of people who live in France seem to get regular speeding fines but without getting banned, mean the French don't have the same licence points system that we have in the UK?

It's quite similar but points are deducted rather than added, a ban following once you get to -12 (or whatever the number is). Different deductions made for different speeds, according to the radar speed displays in some of the villages round here, that flash up your speed with a "-n points" as you pass the detector. (Not official radar cameras or in any way enforcing it, just trying to slow people down through the villages.)

But "regular" could mean once every couple of years, so the points could have expired before reaching the threshold.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old article (since its Chirac!), but did anything ever really change?

"FRENCH drivers have long avoided speeding tickets and other fixed penalty fines with a phone-call to the mayor’s office or local gendarmerie.

While British visitors have dutifully paid up, locals have pulled strings and seen their tickets — some five million a year — quietly cancelled. But no more. President Chirac has ordered tough action against the driving habits that kill more than 8,000 people on French roads every year — twice the rate in Britain.

Police, law officers and councils have been commanded to end all “acts of indulgence” towards the offences of friends, relations and contacts.

Le Parisien says that string-pulling — le piston — is most practised by police officers, followed by elected officials, lawyers, union leaders, doctors, company bosses, shopkeepers . . . and journalists.

Fixed-penalty tickets, 14 million of which are issued annually for offences such as speeding, go unpaid by a third of those to whom they are issued."
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:

Very rarely applied, usually only to high earners who are taking the wee wee out of the system. There's been a couple of high-profile cases with fines of several hundred thousand francs though.

It's worth mentioning that for anything less than 20kph (after deductions) over the limit speeding fines are dealt with just like a parking ticket, with a fixed penalty paid by the vehicle's owner and no sort of points system in place. Only for more severe offences would it normally go to court, and you're required to fill in a declaration of earnings for the judge to decide on the penalty. Yes, fines (+court costs) for these serious offences can be high even when they don't apply the %age of daily earnings formula; one could expect to end up paying over a thousand francs for, say, doing 90 in a 50...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:
Old article (since its Chirac!), but did anything ever really change?

Very hard to pull a speeding ticket from one of the automatic cameras - both roadside and car mounted - because they are processed centrally near Paris. Which was the change that Jacques Chirac implemented.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
@Mollerski, do feel free to follow your own advice, collect a few fines over there and not pay them (sounds like your sort of thing) as you are so cocksure. Be sure to tell us how it goes.

In my experience, the kinds of keyboard warrior who mock people online for dealing with things safely or cautiously tend to be the most cautious, law-abiding citizens when it comes to their own lives.

For what it's worth, I'd pay the fine. Partly because I want to avoid being turned back at the border or getting detained and missing a flight/train (most likely at my own expense), but mostly because I don't want to spend the time between now and my next trip(s) worrying about whether or not that would happen, and trying to estimate the risk. I tend to worry about these things, so I'd effectively be paying for peace of mind so that I can worry about how many sweaters I need to take on my next ski trip instead.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Je suis un Skieur,
Quote:

I think the OP's long since either paid up or gone into hiding. Alert Interpol

Too late, been arrested by MI6 and sat in a dingy Paris cell awaiting the guillotine....

Like I said somewhere above ignore it, if it took them 8 months to send the fine they are also too late and i'd argue that all day long with the curly wig guy.
ski holidays
JayRo wrote:
ster wrote:

In my experience, the kinds of keyboard warrior who mock people online for dealing with things safely or cautiously tend to be the most cautious, law-abiding citizens when it comes to their own lives.

I've been arrested 5 times (cautioned once, never sentenced). I've had my mug shots and finger prints taken 3 times. All for fun and games and pushing the boundaries a little. I wouldn't call myself particularly cautious. I'm all about a life well spent. I'm as entitled to live my life as I choose as much as those whom fear the imagined consequences of just about everything as you've described. Feel free to mock away. Smile
snow conditions
Weird
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
snowhound wrote:
Does the fact lots of people who live in France seem to get regular speeding fines but without getting banned, mean the French don't have the same licence points system that we have in the UK?

It's quite similar but points are deducted rather than added, a ban following once you get to -12 (or whatever the number is). Different deductions made for different speeds, according to the radar speed displays in some of the villages round here, that flash up your speed with a "-n points" as you pass the detector. (Not official radar cameras or in any way enforcing it, just trying to slow people down through the villages.)

But "regular" could mean once every couple of years, so the points could have expired before reaching the threshold.

You start with 12 points, anything up to 20 kph over the limit is one point off. You don't want to lose x points in a year or x total, but I think if you get a couple of tickets it's not a problem. I've never gotten a ticket for more than 15 kph over, so can't remember the threshold at which the ban hammer comes down...

You get the one-point deductions back after 6 months. We've lived in France for 12 years and the alacrity with which we rack up tickets is alarming. All cameras, no chance for appeal. It's really hard to follow the shifting limits -- there are stretches where it goes from 50-70-80-90-70-50-80 in just a few kms.
snow report
Quote:

I bet that you're a laugh to have a beer with

I'd prefer to have a beer with someone who just accepted the situation, paid the money and talked about something else than someone who moaned boringly about being caught or expected me to be impressed with all the times they'd "got away with it" and how resourceful their ducking and diving was.
ski holidays
A friend in our group travelling together was detained at CH border control for an unpaid CH speeding fine which he continued to ignore form the previous ski season. It was from speeding in a rental car. He paid CH100 to avoid a night in detention.
snow report
@pam w, Who's moaning? There's no expectation whatsoever. You're assuming. I suppose that I've come to a realisation that forum users whom have posts in the 10s of 1000s are of a type. The dip in dip outs are slightly different animals. They seek specific information, ask a question, get some often confusing and conflicting answers and then disappear. Why do the 50,60,70000 posters feel the need to hang around forever? What's in it for them? Passing judgement. Rounding on those whom might rock the boat or dare to disagree with the 30,000+ clique, but actually offering very little because there's nothing new left to say. The online forum is a dying format. Snowheads is tired and is of very little value now. I'm off and I'm sure that I won't be missed. Laughing
snow report
Goodness, where did that come from? The love child of rayscoops and Hamilton Academical.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I bet that you're a laugh to have a beer with

I'd prefer to have a beer with someone who just accepted the situation, paid the money and talked about something else than someone who moaned boringly about being caught or expected me to be impressed with all the times they'd "got away with it" and how resourceful their ducking and diving was.

Quite. Having a beer with that kind of person sounds about as interesting as having one with someone who likes to talk about how much beer they drink.
snow report
@Hurtle, Ooops! There's another heading for 30K posts. Digging out those whom don't toe the line. Laughing Ever considered giving up your virtual life and reconnecting with real people and your family maybe? Just saying. wink
snow conditions
@JayRo, Yep and you're another self opinionated old hag whom has found a voice here and a new spiritual home with all the other left leaning sanctimonious retired teachers and civil servants.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 10-11-23 22:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Mollerski, I thought you left?
snow conditions
Quote:

sad, bitter old hag

Shocked At least you can't criticise @JayRo for having thousands of posts, @Mollerski. Laughing Just a modest 354. Though to judge by your spat with Nadenoodlee you're not keen on young hags either.

You have apparently popped in to disparage people who drive small cars or wear the wrong sort of gear on the slopes or pay speeding fines without fuss. Entirely your right to do so, but a bit rich to accuse other people of "making judgements".

I'll make one though. You're very rude.
snow conditions
[quote="pam w"

I'll make one though. You're very rude.[/quote]

Maybe, but I'll say it as I see it. This site is cliquey and has become a virtual social club for a few. Clearly it fulfils a need for you Pam, I'm done with it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well thanks for dropping in. Your short visit was quite entertaining.
latest report
Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/AL8chWFuM-s?si=ZEo_R0KRAPn-wIiD
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
I'm done with it.

bugger, I'd just put the popcorn in the oven. Such a waste.
latest report
Pasigal wrote:
We've lived in France for 12 years and the alacrity with which we rack up tickets is alarming.

it is, maybe a driving awareness course is in order?
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
@JayRo, Yep and you're another self opinionated old hag whom has found a voice here and a new spiritual home with all the other left leaning sanctimonious retired teachers and civil servants.

Be Nice please! me, I'd hate to imagine what you'd say to someone whom [sic] had made 3621 posts on here, rather than my 362.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
@pam w, The online forum is a dying format. Snowheads is tired and is of very little value now. I'm off and I'm sure that I won't be missed. Laughing

It's not an airport. No need to announce your departure.
snow report
@JayRo, @pam w,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
snow report
@Dr John, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@ski3, great cover by a great band
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy