Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best boots for a high instep

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI all,
Looking for some recommendations for ski boots that will take a foot that has a very high instep, i have a pair of Head atm but they are very tight across the top of my foot, other than new boots could i heat them in the oven to "stretch" them into place?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a custom footbed and liner.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49687
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Aqua66, Yes, probably, but you'd need something to pad them with. Personally, I'd take them to someone who knows what they are doing, but it should be easy to solve, assuming the boots otherwise fit well. Consider a moulded footbed to support the arch if you don't already have them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've gotta go see a professional bootfitter. Sometimes high instep boots will mean lots of volume everywhere which you may not need. 3 piece boots offer me relief of pressure on the top of my foot but again may not suit you.
A good fitter can advise on low profile footbeds an/or grind the baseboard to drop you inside the boot or punch the shell above the affected area. A mm can make all the different in instep height.
Go see a good fitter.
UK? South - Colin at Solutions for Feet
North - Graham at Rivington Alpine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as someone who suffers from the same, I was properly fitted in Technica Mach 1 (MV) in a 130 flex. But that fits ME, it might not fit YOU.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Like people already mentioned... go to a bootfitter, it's the best money you'll spend on any ski gear.
If for some reason you still don't wanna go, get high-volume boots, almost all boot manufacturers will have HV models.

I got the Fischer Ranger One (https://www.fischersports.com/ranger-one-130-dyn-2944) but still had to do quite a lot of adjustments as I have very wide feet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a high instep and was fitted into a low volume boot...... Been perfect. Go see a bootfitter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't "carpet bomb" the problem, high volume boots tend to be high volume everywhere which can carry its own issues.
Again....go see a fitter...!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Aqua66, I have high insteps and finding a boot that fits properly without swamping the rest of my foot was tricky. IIRC, the bootfitter mentioned that creating space over the instep is harder than in some other parts of the boot, which makes sense to me as you're limited by the geometry of the clips. So starting with a boot that is as close as possible to fitting, is likely to be important. If you have a boot that's too big elsewhere in order to get the space over your instep, it's likely that you'll end up overtightening the clips which will cause problems (pain, cold feet, long term numbness all possible).

Which means - go and see a good bootfitter, rather than trying to guess whether what you've got is right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raise the roof!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bootfitter, bootfitter, bootfitter.

I have a high instep. My first pair of boots came from Snow & Rock. High volume "because of the high instep". They were just pure torture devices, so much so, that at their worst, I could only ski about 200m before stopping as the pain was unbearable.

Then, I went to see CEM in Bicester. They are much smaller boots but with fitted footbeds. I can now ski all day long without pain in my feet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a very high instep. I started in 1989 with Raichle Flexons and after a long hiatus in the 90s where I tried to become a stylish snowboarder (failed!), came back to 2 planks and now have a pair of Full Tilt/K2 FL3X hybrid boots.
I think the 3 piece design of the 'Flexon' boots helps relieve the pressure normally associated with high instep etc. The heat mouldable liners also help.
I also have a very knock knee stance so the Flexon canting adjustment sorts that. I actually 3D print Flexon canting chips now.
The ability to replace the tongues to vary the flex is another of my favourite features. The tongues from 1980s boots fit all the way through to 2023 and vice versa! There are loads of replacement tongues for Full Tilt boots still on sale online.
The boots are also really easy to put on and take off (I once pulled a muscle in my back trying to get some Lange boots off!).
Yes, I LOVE the Flexon family of boots!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deveron53 wrote:
I have a very high instep. I started in 1989 with Raichle Flexons and after a long hiatus in the 90s where I tried to become a stylish snowboarder (failed!), came back to 2 planks and now have a pair of Full Tilt/K2 FL3X hybrid boots.
I think the 3 piece design of the 'Flexon' boots helps relieve the pressure normally associated with high instep etc. The heat mouldable liners also help.
I also have a very knock knee stance so the Flexon canting adjustment sorts that. I actually 3D print Flexon canting chips now.
The ability to replace the tongues to vary the flex is another of my favourite features. The tongues from 1980s boots fit all the way through to 2023 and vice versa! There are loads of replacement tongues for Full Tilt boots still on sale online.
The boots are also really easy to put on and take off (I once pulled a muscle in my back trying to get some Lange boots off!).
Yes, I LOVE the Flexon family of boots!

I came to say this - 3 piece cabrio boots are good for people with high instep. The key brands are Full Tilt/K2 and Dalbello. I have fairly high instep, medium width forefoot and narrow heel. I find these boots (had both plus Raichle of old) provide me with excellent heel hold AND comfort over forefoot which I've had less success in combining with a traditional overlap boot.

My suggestion would be go to a bootfitter who works in a shop that stocks either of those brands.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy