Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots for really high instep

Poster: A snowHead
Have posted on this subject before for my wife. Basically she has a really high instep and after getting custom foot beds done it only made her ski boots even more unbearable. I therefore told her that we should get new boots which we done - bootfitter advised on Tecnica Mega +4. Big around the forefoot and had a soft footbed to allow the feet to sink in - made perfect sense to me. Spent ages in shop and did seem to fit her fine.

Went to Xscape last week for a slide and she had to go off after 20 mins due to the pain. After she returned after 5 mins they were a lot better. However as we're off in 8 days ( Laughing ) I have persuaded her to wear her boots for a bit each night to bed them in a bit. She has done this the last 2 nights and could only last 5 mins and the top of her feet are marked with the pressure.

I suppose my question to the experts out there is 1) Would taking out the plastic thing under the insole and replace with current insole and add the custom foot bed inside the liner work - ie would this allow the foot to sink further? 2) Do we do nothing and hope that the bedding in process will help? or 3) Scrap the whole thing and fork out on say custom made Strolz boots (as we're off to Stuben anyway)?

Should have known never to marry someone with webbed feet Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a high instep, ended up with Atomic boots, which seem good after 2 weeks...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, my wife has the very same problem - and we are off the same day as you. She has not skied for years so we did not try to buy this time - we will hire in resort so she can swap around if necessary.

Please report back if you find a solution. Her last pair of boots (years ago) lasted for one trip. She liked the ones at Xscape when she tried them, but I reckon that is because they are big and loose fitting.

Have a good trip!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have high insteps, a narrow heel and a wide toe (G/H fitting in kids shoes when I was that age!)

I went to see CEM in bicester, and from being unable to ski more than 30 minutes, can last all day, unless I've scared myself in which case I tend to screw up my feet, which does cause pain...

I have custom insoles and fitted liners, and that was enough.

Width in the forefoot isn't the same as height.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a mare with hugh arches and wide feet- went with Strolz and they are like carpet slippers but a soft boot so not great for hard skiing. Technica are the highest boot off the shelf so to speak- maybe get a technica shell and go and see the Foot Doctor in London- cost £120 but lifetime guarantee on fit Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, the custom footbed is a good idea as it should equalise pressure from below the foot and prevent the foot being squashed down as you over tighten the clips to hold it is place, creating space in the instep od the boot is also possible in a few ways...
1 grind down the base board, this will drop the whole foot but could cause there to be too much space elsewhere in the boot
2 remove material from the plastic of the tongue or if you are clever the padding inside it
3 stretch the shell upwards over the point of pressure, this can be done either with stretching tools or by heating the shell and putting the boot on the foot with some padding over the pressure area, quite painful for 15mins but worth it in the long run

good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, thanks again. Wish we lived nearer Bicester. Do you think a pair of Strolz liners could do the job? I would really like to see my wife go through the same pain I went through getting them done Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, if the shell is correct then it may work, an intuition/palua/conforfit liner may be a better , warmer, more comfortable option
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski, I've got narrow feet and ankles. I bought my boots from Strolz and have skied in them for 15 weeks or so. They're as good as new and worth every penny I paid for them. I have a 'sporty boot' with race tops. The injection process is a little painful. Afterwards, if you have any areas in the boot that feels not quite right, then Strolz will adjust them. The guys in the shop are very helpful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
p.s. I believe Strolz started up by making regular boots and shoes for people with foot deformities.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004 wrote:
p.s. I believe Strolz started up by making regular boots and shoes for people with foot deformities.

this is correct
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, Do Strolz still look bloody awful as well? I always got the impression that if you needed a strolz boot then you would probably be fine with AN Other manufacturers boot and it would cost half the price
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dme, not the flashest looking boots. Red for race boots and black for the vast majority. I went for the all black look. Based on previous experiences where the look of the boot counted I decided to go with fit and went Strolz and don't regret it for a minute
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, I had never heard of Strolz. Can you get them done in Scotland?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dme, not changed since 19canteen Laughing ...it works really well for some, but mostly those who have first been to a string of boot sellers and not boot fitters
snow conditions
Lorenzo, at one time I seem to recall that Gustav Fischnaller (who used to make skis at Glenshee) was a Strolz agent in Scotland ... but I suspect that ended a long time ago. Why not contact Strolz and ask them if they're represented in the UK at all? It would be interesting to know.
ski holidays
I have a pair of Strolz apline boots but haven't used them for a while as I now use a ski touring boot with an Intution liner. The touring boot fits my skinny ankles better than the Strolz too.

If anybody is thinking of going the Strolz route I'd advise them to visit a shop that offers Strolz and other boots (e.g. Sport Alber, St Anton - Austria). This is because there may well be an off the shelf boot that fits just as well or maybe even better than the Strolz. An off the shelf boot is likely to be lighter, cheaper and look much more modern. If you are after a good fit and nothing off the shelf suits then IMO it's worth sacrificing weight, money and looks for a Strolz Boot.
ski holidays
Just to update you on my wife's situation/result.
Made her go back to Ellis Brigham where she got the foot beds done as it looked like one had not been cut correctly. The insoles that came with the Tecnica boots were much thicker than the foot beds so I re-suggested that she use the foot beds (but had caused too much pain initially). Went back to EB, who shaved off a little more of the sole of footbed and cut a bit off at the toe area (as one of them was too far back and the instep part pushing against heel bone).
End result is that boots now fitting much better, wife happier and only 2 days till we head of to Stuben (assuming that the road has now re-opened after all the snow in the last week - depth in village alone went from 75cm to 220cm Smile )
Lorenzo, Strolz have someone in Englandshire that does them now - saw in another thread on Snowheads. Can't remember name of company. Don't think they are the best ski boots on market but for me they fit perfectly and my skiing has improved since buying. Whether I could have got a better and cheaper pair of say foam moulded boots locally - who knows.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy