Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa cancelled flight... but not cancelled. Downgraded!

Poster: A snowHead
I booked our flights on pretty much first release with Lufthansa for 16th dec - 23rd Dec and booked Business class seats.

Just received and email with a change to my itinerary with the 9:20 return flight being cancelled with a replacement offered on the on same date 9:20 but with economy seats.

You what. Do I have any rights here? I guess we have been bumped out as we paid the least for those seats so even if I demand a refund at this late stage, the money I get back wouldn't cover an economy flight!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh and anybody know a "normal" number which will be one of my included mobile minutes?

Contact Details+44 371 641 0401*
24 hours daily
*From within the UK only.
Calls from landlines are typically charged up to 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 10p and 40p per minute.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ,

03 numbers work in the same way as 01 or 02 and are included in any inclusive minutes:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/what-are-03-numbers

"Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number and must count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls.

These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone."
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check if a biz class seat is available. It may be a plane type change with less biz seats. Eg if you were in row 8 and the new flight only has 6 rows they may change to row 8 seat type eg economy.
I can’t remember the rules but it is something like 75% of your money back for an involuntary downgrade.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Compensation depends on the length h of the flight see https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/downgrading/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tarrantd, good spot. I used to fly to Asia that’s why I had 75% in my head.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Check if a biz class seat is available. It may be a plane type change with less biz seats. Eg if you were in row 8 and the new flight only has 6 rows they may change to row 8 seat type eg economy.
I can’t remember the rules but it is something like 75% of your money back for an involuntary downgrade.

We booked ourselves row 2. As so early had full choice of seats. I have checked and even for 1 that flight isn't coming back for business class, only economy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, personally never booked business on Lufthansa, don’t see the point, we always go for extra leg room seats. I’d take the downgrade and get a partial refund and an extra leg room seat allocation, all seats on LH are good and you get fed in economy too. Email don’t try phone, it’ll be quicker.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@NickyJ, personally never booked business on Lufthansa, don’t see the point, we always go for extra leg room seats. I’d take the downgrade and get a partial refund and an extra leg room seat allocation, all seats on LH are good and you get fed in economy too. Email don’t try phone, it’ll be quicker.

There is absolutely no suggestion of offering me any money back.... looks like I will need to claim. Also of I "accept" the offering presume it isn't classed as "involuntary" which is what the email is offering. I tried the chat but that said I have to phone

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 21-10-23 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unless they aren't doing any business class seats on that leg, then there is no doubt they have bumped out those that paid least so that what it costs them is the least. I feel this shouldn't be allowed - it should be last booked not first booked IMHO
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

There is absolutely no suggestion of offering me any money back.... looks like I will need to claim. Also of I "accept" the offering presume it isn't classed as "involuntary" which is what the email is offering. I tried the chat but that said I have to phone

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, Probs best to take what they have and as they say make a claim back afterwards, it’ll still get you there and economy isn’t so bad, only a short flight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@NickyJ, Probs best to take what they have and as they say make a claim back afterwards, it’ll still get you there and economy isn’t so bad, only a short flight.

I need to make sure that the skis are still booked in and what our return luggage allowance will be. We loose the access to lounge. Having autistic people in our party paying extra for access to quiet uncrowded space and space around is on flights is worth it (when just what it says)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it depends on how many days notice they have given you & if you are entitled to compensation. I think this far out, you would only be entitled to a refund & no compensation.
I guess they are honouring any extra baggage allowance with the original booking - if that is the reason you booked business?
Probably means the flight does not have a business class cabin. You can try to argue about the loss of lounge access & see if they come up with anything.
I guess you didnt book business because of the seat - but because of the extras.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both the old booking and new "replacement new time" at the same time flight are reporting as AIRBUS A320NEO
snow conditions
@NickyJ, perhaps if you explain that they’ll reconsider, if not I guess options are limited unless they will offer a full refund and consider driving?
snow report
@NickyJ, that's really crap of them. How much more as a % does business class usually cost compared to economy class? I would be fighting to get at least that amount back as compensation. And probably keep the perks such as lounge access, luggage allowance etc.

Though in reality airlines tend to do just the bare minimum as obliged by law Sad
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Both the old booking and new "replacement new time" at the same time flight are reporting as AIRBUS A320NEO

maybe contact the airline then. 320 NEO on Aerolopa (great website for layouts) has business class

Have you tried a dummy booking to see if Business class is available? could they move you to an earlier or later flight?
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Oh and anybody know a "normal" number which will be one of my included mobile minutes?

Contact Details+44 371 641 0401*
24 hours daily
*From within the UK only.
Calls from landlines are typically charged up to 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 10p and 40p per minute.

I thought it was illegal for a call centre/helpline to have a premium number in the UK
ski holidays
@NickyJ, expert flyer is showing that as an all-economy aircraft with zero business seats. Economy starts in row one, and there are no blocked middle seats.

If you want business, you’ll have to change flight time or airport. I don’t know how flexible LH is in these situations I’m afraid.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@NickyJ, expert flyer is showing that as an all-economy aircraft with zero business seats. Economy starts in row one, and there are no blocked middle seats.

If you want business, you’ll have to change flight time or airport. I don’t know how flexible LH is in these situations I’m afraid.
Sad despite selling me those seat, on 28th December.
snow conditions
@snowdave, however thanks for the info.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Aircraft change. Frustratin, but not uncommon; at least youve been given enough notice that you might be able to work around it.

Flight schedule planning a year in advance is a bit of a lottery - anything from fleet changes to technical issues can change things.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Aircraft change. Frustratin, but not uncommon; at least youve been given enough notice that you might be able to work around it.

Flight schedule planning a year in advance is a bit of a lottery - anything from fleet changes to technical issues can change things.

Both original information and new flight is reporting: AIRBUS A320NEO
snow report
NickyJ wrote:

Both original information and new flight is reporting: AIRBUS A320NEO

In which case it’s a configuration change - European short haul aircraft are usually a flexible configuration; business class seats are the same as economy, they just leave the middle seat empty. Causes a lot of disappointment to US travellers who expect a big seat and extra legroom which is their model. The European setup means the airline can choose how many seats to sell in each class based on demand. However, depending on how LH manages things, they may only reconfigure (which takes a few mins) at home base rather than for every flight. Or they might just have decided it’s cheaper to downgrade you and a few others and pay you the 30% compo, rather than reconfigure.

The 07:00 and 14:45 are both still operating in a two class configuration with spare seats. Could ask to be moved to those. BA would definitely do that, don’t know about LH.
ski holidays
Given 7am flight means a 01:50am pickup from our accommodation Shocked and will get us home quite late, for stocking up on food for Christmas..... I have spoken to on phone to say we want access to lounge and same baggage, she claims we will and I have asked for that to be given IN WRITTING
latest report
How can it be a cancellation when the flight is operating at the same time and with the same flight number? Agreed it might be a configuration change, but the way that LH displayed this is totally disingenuous - this is an involuntary downgrade pure and simple.

Best advice I have is go over to Flyertalk - I know this is an LH flight but the BA forum has a very comprehensive thread on EC261 compensation and rights in general.
ski holidays
ratechaser wrote:
How can it be a cancellation when the flight is operating at the same time and with the same flight number? Agreed it might be a configuration change, but the way that LH displayed this is totally disingenuous - this is an involuntary downgrade pure and simple.

Best advice I have is go over to Flyertalk - I know this is an LH flight but the BA forum has a very comprehensive thread on EC261 compensation and rights in general.

They told me same as Snowdave reported, they have now configured that flight with no business class. Guess 23rd Dec Saturday flight at a nice civilised time is so popular that let them sell more seats.

Oh and the email I was assured I would get 10mins after call has not appeared. Although my baggage allowance in hold is same as Business. Jand held allowance isnt..... and no sign of Business class showing on ticket. So I am going to follow up request confirmation of Business class lounge access in Munich
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, to be fair, short haul business class isn't anything special apart from the middle seat being blocked plus some food. Baggage and lounge is about the only real benefit IMO. But definitely claim EC261 compensation!
snow report
ratechaser wrote:
@NickyJ, to be fair, short haul business class isn't anything special apart from the middle seat being blocked plus some food. Baggage and lounge is about the only real benefit IMO. But definitely claim EC261 compensation!

Yep but also gives access to less busy checking, security checks, quiet lounge, early boarding with less pushing.... all of which make a huge difference in overwhelming effects on those with autism....

Despite assurance no indication on ticket that we paid gor Business class, meaning I won't get that access in Munich. Hence asking for the information I was given in writting <sigh>
snow report
If they don't confirm same access to lounge and baggage allowance in writing, then I suggest you email them "confirming" the conversation.

The onus is on them to then state otherwise, which would help in any later compensation claim if they dispute it on arrival.
latest report
@NickyJ, ratechasers idea to have a look around the FlyerTalk forum is a good idea. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable members.
ski holidays
I tried following up by email as haven't had that confirmation email. This was met with an automated reply:
Quote:

Dear passenger,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have received your feedback and take it very seriously. Ensuring the security of your data is a priority for us. As a result, we have discontinued the practice of accepting feedback submissions via unencrypted email.

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have received your feedback and take it very seriously. Ensuring the security of your data is a priority for us. As a result, we have discontinued the practice of accepting feedback submissions via unencrypted email.

Our commitment remains to process your feedback promptly and securely. To facilitate encrypted transmission, we kindly ask you to utilize our convenient feedback forms.

The link to the forms,doesn't have a sub type which is relevant.
latest report
@NickyJ, try a post on Facebook or twitter if they have accounts
latest report
@NickyJ, I have found that a PM on Twitter usually gets a response and the matter dealt with (providers, suppliers etc., prefer not to have complaints or issues aired on the main page) but I include something to the effect that you will do that, unless an acceptable solution is promptly found.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy