Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2023/24 Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Is there something up with the commentary on discovery+ website stream this morning, i.e. there isnt any.

Can hear the ambient noise though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ster, I've got the commentary. Have you selected the right stream, sometimes on the app they have duplicate streams one with commentary and one without (ambient background).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 29-10-23 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, it was the one on the front page, but I’ll have a trawl.

Ah there it was, thanks.

Now got the skiing and the cricket commentary competing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The wind is getting up at Sölden and there's a temporary race interruption.... Sad

Advertising banners being moved away from the race area. Windy weather was forecast for later in the afternoon but seems to have arrived earlier than expected.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cancelled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saw something about Ragnhild Mowinckel being DQ'd for having fluorinated wax, which is apparently not ok anymore for enviro reasons. They checked her skis after the first run of the Sölden GS (and apparently after each run these days) and pulled the plug. Head, when asked for comment, was baffled. Her technician said they were prepared the same as two days earlier when they were inspected by FIS and passed muster.

I want to believe this is some type of innocent oversight/error but wouldn't bet on it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle, already mentioned on page 1 of this this current thread wink
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165903#5186550
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harrow lady wrote:
Finger crossed Zermatt Cervinia will happen this year,

Zermatt ski World Cup to go ahead despite slope encroachment

The slope of the Zermatt-Cervinia men's World Cup downhill races was built outside the (officially approved) boundaries of the ski area. This was the conclusion of the Valais Cantonal Construction Commission (CCC), which prohibited the use of the encroached space. The race can now be held as planned.

Only safety nets 'can exceptionally be tolerated' in this area for the occasion, writes the CCC. This is 'applying the principle of proportionality and considering the temporary nature of the event'. After having had to postpone its trip a first time, the CCC was able to travel to the Teodulo glacier in Zermatt to ascertain the facts, accompanied by an engineering and surveying firm. The authority pointed out that the slope 'initially proposed by the organisers was entirely within the ski area'. On site, however, the groomed slope was found to be too wide along the start area of the men's race.

After analysis, the CCC determined that the perimeter, located on Swiss territory and where excavators were used, was outside the ski area. Originally intended to provide access to the start of the women's race (which is located on Italian territory), this area is now precluded from use, the authority added, pointing out that the work had been stopped.

At this stage, restoration of the site is not advisable, as the snow and ice should be left in its natural state. The CCC emphasises that the criminal proceedings are ongoing (my italics) and refused to provide any further information.

So the bottom line is that the Zermatt Cervinia races will take place this coming weekend Very Happy , but it looks like some of the race officials could be getting reprimanded (or receiving stronger sanctions) for building part of the race course outside the officially approved ski area....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, thx/oops.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, thanks Alastair , I just checked the course and seems the same as the last year s cancelled event, cannot visualise which part of the course they are talking about. My time in cervinia was spoiled by strong winds , Hope the weather will behave Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Saw something about Ragnhild Mowinckel being DQ'd for having fluorinated wax, which is apparently not ok anymore for enviro reasons. They checked her skis after the first run of the Sölden GS (and apparently after each run these days) and pulled the plug. Head, when asked for comment, was baffled. Her technician said they were prepared the same as two days earlier when they were inspected by FIS and passed muster.

I want to believe this is some type of innocent oversight/error but wouldn't bet on it.

Waxing Tool Responsible for Mowinckel’s Positive Fluorine Test

Following the disqualification of Ragnhild Mowinckel in the Giant Slalom in Sölden on the 28th of October, 2023, due to the fluorine content of the wax on her skis exceeding the set limit, subsequent tests have been carried out by HEAD together with the FIS and the Norwegian Ski Federation. The results: the cause of the increased levels was a ski waxing tool that was used to prepare the skis. The FIS has tested the wax applied to the skis. The FIS confirmed that this wax did not contain fluorine.

“We are relieved that together we have found the cause of the fluorine limits being exceeded and now have a much better idea of what we need to look out for when preparing skis in the future. That being said, we need to continue working with all the stakeholders to optimize the method for measuring fluorine. It is important that results are diagnosed correctly so that no athletes are wrongly disqualified,” says HEAD Racing Director Rainer Salzgeber. “What is important for us is that all the tests and analyses have clearly confirmed that we did not use fluorine wax. It is equally important for us to have on record that Ragnhild Mowinckel is not at fault in this matter: the athlete receives the skis already prepared by us before the start of the race. Neither she, as a professional athlete, nor we, as a ski company, would intentionally allow unauthorized preparation of the skis at the risk of disqualification.”

So when the rules were changed to introduce the fluoro ban either Head themselves or the Head ski technician didn't have the intelligence to get rid of preparation tools that had previously been used with fluorinated waxes, resulting in contamination of the skis! rolling eyes Probably it was the brush that caused the fluorine limits to be exceeded.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, thanks, and good news-mostly. Seems an error of the most basic sort. Glad they aren't performing surgery!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, which of the above wouldn’t you want as brain surgeons? The wayward course setters or the techies who don’t clean their tools?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A quick reminder of this weekend's skiing:

MEN:

DH1: Sat 1130CET/1030UK - Zermatt/Cervinia
DH2: Sun 1100CET/1000UK - Zermatt/Cervinia

WOMEN:

SL1 Run 1: Sat 1000CET/0900UK - Levi
SL1 Run 2: Sat 1300CET/1200UK - Levi

SL2 Run 1: Sun 1000CET/0900UK - Levi
SL2 Run 2: Sun 1300CET/1200UK - Levi
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Downhill training was cancelled today due to the weather (heavy snow and poor visibility) Fingers crossed for a Bluebird day tomorrow!
ski holidays
My season used to start in late November but these days it generally starts in earnest after the New Year. Too early and its either thin cover or nasty weather or both. I wonder if the WC people should consider doing the same. It is hard enough to maintain/generate interest in ski racing without all the cancellations and so forth. TV and other content producers don't like uncertainty any more than the racers do. I just looked at a few webcams and I don't think any area in NA could host a race right now. Wish it were otherwise...
snow report
Today's Zermatt downhill is cancelled due to heavy snow and strong winds. Last year now snow, this year too much...

I feel for the organisers but at least us TV fans have Levi today
latest report
I wondered why the recording of the first run wasnt on Eurosport when I got home this morning . Thats too bad, they've had no luck ,

But there's another race scheduled for tomorrow, how likely is that?
snow conditions
@ster, I think they were saying even less likely.... Sad
ski holidays
The forecast isn't looking good for tomorrow, according to the commentator on Eurosport. Turns out, it's often windy on a glacier
ski holidays
Absolute masterclass from the winner up in Levi today.
latest report
Incredible skiing. Feels like this season's women's slalom globe is going to be a real battle.
latest report
@grumpygargoyle, agreed, good to see 3rd place back up there again, where they should be!
snow conditions
It's been a tough couple of years for Austrian ski fans Very Happy
ski holidays
Another reindeer for Vlhova.

That's quite a herd she's got now.
snow report
@grumpygargoyle,they had it more than good with Hirscher for all those years , they can’t complain or expect it all the time.
snow report
What a race. Great skiing from the entire podium. And Nullmeyer was excellent too.
snow report
Men's DH confirmed as cancelled today as expected
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, so last year they were unable to hold the planned inaugural Zermatt/Cervinia race due to lack of snow, this year it's cancelled due to too much snow and wind, here's hoping next year it's third time lucky and they actually get to run the race!
ski holidays
Run 1 of today's Women's Slalom from Levi underway at the moment.
ski holidays
Nick Fellows on Discovery+/Eurosport was saying that they understand that one of the two cancelled Mens Downhill races at Zermatt/Cervinia will be rescheduled for later in the season....
latest report
grumpygargoyle wrote:
It's been a tough couple of years for Austrian ski fans Very Happy

Not as bad as it's been for us Brits
ski holidays
Anyone know why Charlie Guest DNS?

No mention on comms
snow conditions
@Whitegoldsbrother, yeah, they talked about it on the comms. She's feeling unwell so DNS
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother, yeah, they talked about it on the comms. She's feeling unwell so DNS

Thanks. I missed that.
ski holidays
Wow, that's not how I thought that race was going to finish!!
ski holidays
I'll second that @swskier, . Petra must be kicking herself very hard at the moment.
Hats off to Mikaela, that one was a very hollow victory evident in her body language.
latest report
Unbelievable school girl error by Vlhova when over a second ahead.

Shiffrin reaction says it all

A win by default indeed but...

A win's a win
latest report
Will be interesting to see how Lara Colturi progresses over the season. Made the 2nd run on both days with a 65 bib, and in the low 20s after the 1st run on both occasion's. As her start number drops as the season goes on, will she start pushing towards the top 10?
snow report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
swskier wrote:

Thanks. I missed that.

From instagram, she's suffering with Palindromic Rheumatism, and had a flare up this weekend, which is why she couldn't compete today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy