Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LIVE TR: Les Coches 22nd to 30th December 2023 - PHOTOS + VIDS ADDED

Poster: A snowHead
This will be our 26th family trip after:

March 2009 - Les Menuire (3V)
December 2009 - Aime La Plagne (Paradiski) - snowmaggedon on the outward journey
April 2010 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
December 2010 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
April 2011 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2011 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2012 - La Norma
December 2012 - Les Contamines
April 2013 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2013 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
April 2014 - MISSED - OMG!!
December 2014 - Tignes Le Lac - snowmaggedon on the return journey
April 2015 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2015 - Montchavin (Paradiski)
April 2016 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2016 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2017 - Oz-en-Oisan (ADH)
December 2017 - La Tania (3V)
March 2018 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2018 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2019 - Les Menuires (3V)
December 2019 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
December 2021 - Les Coches (Paradiski) - COVID ABORT
February 2022 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2022 - Les Menuires (3V)
December 2022 - Les Coches (Paradiski)
April 2023 - Les Menuires (3V)

Thread about before kids ski trips

We are being extremely dull as you can see from the list above but we don't have much time to figure out new places right now and I if it ain't broke and all that. Starting this thread because I can't break the habit of doing them and maybe it's interesting to compare costs. And of course when the actual trip does come round it's fun to recount the days occurences.

One small note of difference is that this year the wife suggested we see if we could get an apartment a day earlier and drive overnight Thursday instead of Friday. Son is now 18 and at Uni so he will be done his term well before Christmas but our schools finish on the 22nd only. However, our daughter is now in 6th form missing the Friday is less of an issue. Apart from squeezing out an extra days skiing it will hopefully ease the tunnel and traffic busyness.

So far the apartment has been booked. In the block La Traverse where we've stayed many times before through the GSI Immo who we've also used many times before. We paid 673 Euros for 8 nights versus 530 for 7 nights last year so a 12% increase on a per night basis however I think this apartment has been modernised and if we'd taken the same apartment there would have been no increase.

Le Shuttle (formerly Eurotunnel) wise costs are very similar to last year:
2022 - Out £150, coming back £139
2023 - Out £159, coming back £125

Time of crossing is similar but days differ as last Christmas we did Monday to Monday. Only other factor is the demise of the Tesco Clubcard deal. Points getting harder to come by and the offer only 2 times the voucher. I didn't use anything for this trip which is a rarity.

I haven't bought lift passes yet but because laddo is 18 we lose the ability to get a family deal (-25 Euro pp) and instead get a "Tribu" deal (-10 Euro pp) so I've estimated a 15% increase on a per day basis. Would be probably be more like 11.5% ignoring the offer.

Equipment wise it's a whole new shebang for the 18yo - new boots from S4F and new skis (Enforcer 100). He also needs new helmet and goggles. Hopefully this will set him for a few seasons and by then he will have his own means to pay! For the wife new boots also, hopefully they give her the comfort and performance she wants.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-01-24 0:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm tempted with a 1st visit to Les Contamines. You not been back.How come?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@harvey13, good question. Combination of factors - steep drags and run home were tough for young kids, as the kids got older we were doing more skiing (as in longer days/more mileage), because we go arse ends of the season it tends towards higher altitude, more extensive areas. So whilst we haven't been back it's no reflection on the resort/area. We had a great week there and in the right circs I wouldn't mind going back - it's a great mid-size area with plenty of interesting slopes and off piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK thanks for that!You have sold it to me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, we are heading back to les coches again after a great time last year. We will be there the opening week. 16th to 23rd December
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@harvey13, the tricky home run at Les Contamines is easily avoided by down-loading in the gondola. It's a good area, most of it holds its snow well (the exception being the black Veleray sector) and the up-close views of Mont Blanc are great. Some good mountain restaurants, too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boarderfarce wrote:
@Layne, we are heading back to les coches again after a great time last year. We will be there the opening week. 16th to 23rd December

Probably would have done opening week if our schools finished then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
harvey13 wrote:
OK thanks for that!You have sold it to me.

Hope it works out.

Only decision you have to make is whether to stay in the main town (and shuttle to the base lift) or in Hameaux which is walkable but smaller, less facilities.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
@harvey13 it's a great mid-size area with plenty of interesting slopes and off piste.

+1 to that

I tend to avoid most runs to the valley if theres only the one, tends to be packed at the end of the day, not enjoyable.

As pam says, take the gondola down and watch the carnage. Much more relaxing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, still a good price overall for an apartment for 8 nights?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always skied Les Contamines from the Hauteluce side. I only once ever went down that pointless run to the bottom in Les Contamines, to pick up a wallet I'd left in the cafeteria at Jonction, which had been sent down to Lost Property. I didn't enjoy it - it's the sort of run where people who can't control their speed and should be on the gondola are an ever-present menace.
Really, the skiing starts at the top of the gondola. Les Contamines is good for accessible off piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
@Layne, still a good price overall for an apartment for 8 nights?

I think so yes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I enjoy the carnage runs! Always entertaining, in the same way as runs with randomly road crossings, random bare patches, or unexpected areas of sheet ice Laughing

@Layne, hope it all goes well and look forward to reading your updates as ever.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Purchased lift passes a few days ago. A bit strange with the discounting. To get the price overall I bought a 7.5 day Paradiski pass for 356.50 Euros each and a one day La Plagne pass (Samedijeskie) for 40 Euros each. The former would not have been discounted for 8.5 days and the latter would have been double for Paradiski.

Loaded directly onto the cards we have.

So in total, 1586 Euros / £1383, for the 4 of us for 8.5 days skiing, working at at £40 per day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paid the rest of the money for the apartment.

Purchased sons helmet - Anon Merak Wavecel - for £246.16 from Alpinetrek. But weird that on the day it was delivered we got an email saying it was delayed ("unforeseen delays in customs processing") and would arrive 5 days later than expected. And got another email today saying it would arrive tomorrow!

Also got him some new goggles - Oakley Flight Deck Jasmine Crystal Prizm Sage - for £113.59 from Ekosport.

Obviously early season snow has been good but plenty of time for things to change.

Just waiting for the annual 'what's wrong with the car' scare.
ski holidays
So trip eve is here.

Me and the missus ain't been feeling too great mentally and physically but no doubt that will all change once we are sitting in the apartment with a cuppa/wine and the mountains at our feet.

Even though we have a late evening crossing the wife has loads of holiday and so has taken the day off. Things are slow at work for me so hooopefully tomorrow will be a fairly relaxed packing day.

I see heavy snow forecast for Thursday evening which could make for a great start to the holiday. Missus and eldest will be trying their new boots for the first time and eldest on new skis so will be interesting to see how that goes.
snow conditions
@Layne, see you in les arcs. I hope you have a good drive down. The forecast looks like a lot of 110 driving. Just take it easy.

On the subject of costs, our essentials season passes came to over 2000 euros for my wife, son and me. Skiing is an expensive habit.
snow conditions
Well not a great start to the holiday. After hearing of the strike shutting down the tunnel I quickly booked a DFDS ferry. But I knew that it wasn't as simple as that, because there would be carnage on the roads and at the port. I was correct. Literally crawled the last few miles and through passport control. Hours of stress and boredom.

We missed our 22:00 ferry and now await the midnight sailing. Looks like no skiing tomorrow afternoon. Real pisser.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 20-03-24 15:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Layne, yes,it’s really annoying, but just relax and let it flow over you. These things happen. We’ve all missed a day or two of holiday in the past, but it could be worse, lots worse and you are on holiday. Are you driving non stop?
ski holidays
@johnE, yes, will be driving through.
ski holidays
Don’t worry about missing skiing this afternoon. The condition are not great. In fact I’ve gone back to bed
ski holidays
It was about 3:30am French time,by the time we got off the ferry. The good news is the weather was kind and we were able to really motor, stopping only for fuel (J23 Reims LeClerc Champlfluery), wee's and driver switch before we got to Albertville. We discussed going into ski half a day and then driving back down to the valley to do supermarket. A new Intermarche is only 25 minutes. But we decided against it for a few reasons.

As ever the shop took a while. And so it was mid-afternoon when we arrived. It was cloudy with a bit of moisture flying around. The guys decided they would fling on heir gear, the ladies preferred to get the keys to the apartment and drink tea.

The couple of hours skiing were half decent and I was glad of it in the end.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 20-03-24 15:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
As reported on the resort threads, yesterday was cloudy and grey in the valley but lovely up top. And staying pretty cold. We were woefully slow out the blocks but on a personal note my excuse is that I've been suffering from a cold/man flu. But we got out late morning and effectively hit the ridge off Mio multiple times for a decent powder fix. Then we headed over to Champagny, dossed about, had lunch and then went back to ski Sources and then more dossing about then over to our way to ski until the lifts shut.

Today we were a bit sharper out and headed over to Les Arcs. Bit of off piste under Carrely and then over and up Varet for more off piste ventures. Some good fun to be had in the little mini bowls. We had a late picnic lunch down next to the non-running Comborciere. Then just did some piste skiing in the afternoon.

Definitely felt the air temp change during the course of the day. Higher slopes still have good feel under foot but slopes in the trees above Vallandry are horrid scraped off, offering little grip.

Ag Rouge shut today, Glacier at La Plagne was closed yesterday.

Didn't feel overly busy today. Usual spots with queues, heavy traffic.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 20-03-24 15:56; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Late Saturday afternoon as the sun is in retreat

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 2-01-24 23:26; edited 5 times in total
snow report
@Layne, have they actually opened the new life to the La Plagne glacier yet do you know?
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
@Layne, have they actually opened the new life to the La Plagne glacier yet do you know?

Not that I'm aware of but I'll keep an eye out.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
stevew wrote:

Not that I'm aware of but I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers, in from Vallandry from the 31st and I'd like to give it a go to see where it punts you out compared to the old one.
ski holidays
Had a slightly late night yesterday - with a few phone calls and messages, cheese and wine, board games - but we were up and out at a reasonable time. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a jilted start due to boot issues. My son thinks he may have over tightened his new boots first day skiing and yesterday he had really sore shins. Today was so bad he decided to turn back after first run. My wife, also with new boots, was 'experimenting' with the set up. She takes things a bit easier than the rest of us at the best of times but fiddling with her boots every 5 minutes was causing a bit of tension! So she told me and our daughter to go off by herself.

We skied some nice bits of off piste and cruised some nice pistes above Plagne Centre. The Grand Rochette cable car seemed to be having technical issues and kept stopping so we only used it once. Early afternoon we met back with the wife for lunch at the top of Lovatiere. We then skied down and met our son - who had gone with a double ski sock to try to alleviate the shin pain. We had a bit of an adventure skiing off piste. Met this very pleasant young man - a local residing in Champagny. He suggested another route (off left as you go up Lovatiere) and offered to show us how to get to it. He didn't seem like batshit crazy or anything so we too up the offer. It wasn't that difficult to get to tbh though the entry was a tad intimidating. But there was a good pitch of decent (with the current conditions) powder to follow. After that we just dossed our way home.

This video shows my daughter cautiously (quite rightly) entering a sort of couloir option which had an icy crusty entrance before my wife and her do a decent job of skiing it.

http://youtube.com/v/2zHEq_fj6Io

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 3-01-24 11:05; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glacier still not open
latest report
Stayed in this apartment block many times and I don't recall any shower water issues but this week it's literally blowing out hot and cold randomly.

Apartment itself is mostly standard. Oven looks a bit of a museum piece but works. No kettle, which is rare, even in France, these days. But other appliances decent. Kitchen was a little dirty on arrival but rest clean. It has a good electric heater.

Home run Christmas Day

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 2-01-24 23:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Layne, shin bang on new boots doesn’t sound good, hopefully it improves!
snow report
Home runs on both sides of VE are carnage at the moment. Scraped off plate.
latest report
Cruising the blues is excellent though
snow conditions
Had a fun and interesting day over at Les Arcs today.

Like many I often talk of skiing to the conditions but often not doing as a preach. For example piste conditions in many places mean that the blue pistes are much better and more fun to ski - the likes of Rhodos for example was great to ski. A lot of the red pistes are suffering at the moment from getting scrapped off. Late morning we lapped the chalky off piste at Grand Col. Then headed down to the picnic hut at 1950. It was busy in there but as it was late lunch was soon thinning out. I was interested in some geezer who came with a nice plated salad complete with cuttlery, mini pot of dressing and a wedge of feta in foil. This guy is a pro paper bagger.

Yesterdays technical problems with Comborciere have been fixed so we went up there and played off piste from Mont Blanc and then back on the lovely scenic piste down to 1600. Up Mont Blanc and then traverse over to 1800 and a couple more runs before heading back over. Managed to catch the Plan Bois and Bijolin lifts for another nice sunset ski down. Esselet that was closed the last couple of days was now open with "thin cover". Not sure what has changed since the last couple of days and actually it was in decent condition - I've seen much worse open. All in all a winner skiing day.

The snow that was forecast for Fri night and Saturday has all but disappeared from the forecast but who knows. Today was partially cloudy, mid-temp and no wind to speak of.

Talking of piste closures I've no idea why Ag Rouge is not open.

Busyness wise. It's OK. Usual pinch points on lifts and pistes but some places/pistes it was no issue.

Heading off piste Grand Col with Daughter

Laddo skiing away on the Mont Blanc piste with La Rosiere in the background

More wine please

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-01-24 23:43; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Massive queue at the boulangerie this morning. Reflective of how full resort is I guess although often used to be two serving but mostly one this week.
snow conditions
Lots of people arrived in arc 1600 yesterday. Our apartment building, which was almost empty two days ago, is now almost full. Early evening you could see the hire shops were busy.

Many arrived by car. I wonder where they parked them. From what I can see every available spot was full already. Looking at the booking websites it may be quieter next week.
latest report
Teenagers drive you nuts. They just want to sleep, eat and spend time on their smartphones. Contribute sfa to anything communal unless specifically asked. And doing stuff for themselves is a challenge.

Anyway we were out late. Tried to avoid a queue at Bijolin by going Pierre Blanche (correct, no queues) and then the drag (incorrect, queue and then problem), so had to go to the slow old chair. We got away from the crowds by going off piste, left off the bend going from top of Crozats to bottom of Inversen. Great fun apart from the bush whacking to get back to Bauches chair. Had a play under Crozats then headed over to the main La Plagne area. A lot of lift queues and boilerplate pistes but we managed. Had our traditional race down to get to the Pierre Blanche just before closing. And then a nice run home in the fading light.

Off piste mentioned above:

http://youtube.com/v/7JXnxK1Hotg

And the bush whacking!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 3-01-24 0:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Layne,

This is why Ag Rouge is shut...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBLesarcs/permalink/2372151322984339/
snow report
Has your cold cleared up? Mine seemed to after a couple of days of fantastic mountain air.
snow conditions
Owlette wrote:
@Layne,

This is why Ag Rouge is shut...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBLesarcs/permalink/2372151322984339/

Cheers for that. A bit of a shame but it is what it is. At least I know to not build my hopes up for the next couple of days.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 3-01-24 11:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy